Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Chairman Meow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

SerCypher posted:

Welp im sure there is nothing to worry about here.

https://twitter.com/yicaichina/status/1455359795423326212

"Unprompted assurances" never bode well.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Megillah Gorilla posted:

My "adequate supply of vegetables and meat" t-shirt has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my t-shirt.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Global Times followed up with this, totally cool, totally normal.

What is everyone's fascination with taking pictures of shelves this year. Empty shelves, full shelves, half stocked shelves...

https://twitter.com/globaltimesnews/status/1455726393766023171

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
So uh what's with Beijing suddenly saying "Hey everything's cool nothing's wrong but you might wanna stock up on things"?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Seth Pecksniff posted:

So uh what's with Beijing suddenly saying "Hey everything's cool nothing's wrong but you might wanna stock up on things"?

It's fine, stop asking.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Whoops sorry

I'm just going to go ahead and buy triple of my normal staples

It's the patriotic thing to do :china:

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Seth Pecksniff posted:

My state government tells me to do this like at least three times a year because I live in the dumbfucks and disasters state.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
The assurances are due to China's food bowl being under water and the lunar holidays coming up,

But what if they run out of something more important, like memes?

Illegal police dog meme trading groups.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Commence simultaneous panic on my mark...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Kharnifex posted:

The assurances are due to China's food bowl being under water and the lunar holidays coming up,

But what if they run out of something more important, like memes?

Illegal police dog meme trading groups.

China has very strong meme game, I think they'll be fine.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Chinese memes range from the usual to multilayered puns within puns to get around censorship. If anything i think their meme game is stronger than the West's and we have currently have a critical meme gap.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Don Gato posted:

Chinese memes range from the usual to multilayered puns within puns to get around censorship. If anything i think their meme game is stronger than the West's and we have currently have a critical meme gap.

Yeah, adversity has bred strength in that case.
Unfortunately, the group "is capable of understanding Chinese memes, willing to talk about it, and finds it novel enough to be worthwhile" is limited.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
chaoyang trap house (only punnin relation to chapo) does studies on certain memes, they did a whole dealio on wanghong aesthetics sometime ago forex

https://chaoyangtrap.house/

generally chinese langs have an unalterable pun advantage from the tonality thing but english dominates in orthography fuckery

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

How has the Communist Party's opinion on which faction were the heroes of the Three Kingdoms era changed over the years?

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Do not pursue Lu Bu

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound

Arbite posted:

How has the Communist Party's opinion on which faction were the heroes of the Three Kingdoms era changed over the years?

which one are you referring to, 三國志 or 三國演義
because one of them is a history book (remember it is ancient history so probably half of it were passed down orally thus not very correct anyway), and the other one is entirely fiction story rewritten in Ming dynasty.
it was being rewritten because someone in power wants to modify this to suit their needs. and this happened hundred years before communism the idea even exists

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I remember Mao was personally a fan of Cao Cao, but I don't know about Party opinion or any revisionism.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

My favorite part of any theatric rendition of the Three Kingdoms historical fiction, are these super-powered generals just batting arrows out of the air... until the one that fatefully kills them is of course dramatically fired off by another super-powered general.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

bob dobbs is dead posted:

chaoyang trap house (only punnin relation to chapo) does studies on certain memes, they did a whole dealio on wanghong aesthetics sometime ago forex

https://chaoyangtrap.house/

generally chinese langs have an unalterable pun advantage from the tonality thing but english dominates in orthography fuckery

Is this the podcast version of chinasmack? I miss Chinasmack

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The lesson being that we all need to shut the gently caress up and listen to superpowered general Xi, Great Man of History.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

ninjoatse.cx posted:

chinasmacks gone and dead, this ones different

i miss it too

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

ninjoatse.cx posted:

It's not a podcast and no, but it's vaguely related. What's on Weibo too.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

This is how I'm introducing myself from now on

https://mobile.twitter.com/XHNews/status/1456792449423011845

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Lol how deep up his rear end in a top hat can they get? Pathetic.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

As somebody posted, it's hard to make a personality cult around someone with no personality.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Personality traits like "ruthless" and "power hungry" don't play quite as well.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Say what you will about Mao, the dude had the chops for a real personality cult. Xi's is sad and pathetic in comparison.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I'm the guy innovating with forward looking vision in a Mao suit.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

A failed Kwisatz Haderach, he has vision that sees forwards but not back

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Say what you will about Mao, the dude had the chops for a real personality cult. Xi's is sad and pathetic in comparison.

"gonna build a moderately prosperous society by 2050" vs "gonna wipe out 5000 years of history in one decade"

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Grand Fromage posted:

As somebody posted, it's hard to make a personality cult around someone with no personality.

I was going to note that Xi never seems to emote. He never smiles, he never frowns, he is never seen doing anything dynamic.

But I assumed that was more down to a carefully and strictly controlled media image, rather than actual boringness.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

BrigadierSensible posted:

I was going to note that Xi never seems to emote. He never smiles, he never frowns, he is never seen doing anything dynamic.

But I assumed that was more down to a carefully and strictly controlled media image, rather than actual boringness.

he kicks balls and drinks pints of lager tho

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

A short-lived replacement principal at my school claimed to be personal friends with Xi's wife and hang out with her regularly so I should've asked him about it.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Grand Fromage posted:

A short-lived replacement principal at my school claimed to be personal friends with Xi's wife and hang out with her regularly so I should've asked him about it.

Was he also a former specops ninja and part-time assassin-billionaire?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Atopian posted:

Was he also a former specops ninja and part-time assassin-billionaire?

No, he was a doctor and a commercial airline pilot.

It was really funny when the semester started, he introduced himself to the students and made all his wild bullshit claims and they believed all of it, acted super impressed. Then after a couple months of hearing him make claims they grew skeptical, and it became a joke that someone would do an impression of him and claim to be an astronaut, or if any student bragged they'd be called principal X.

He eventually went on an international vacation and never returned.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 9, 2021

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Say what you like about Mao, he's dead.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Collateral posted:

Say what you like about Mao, he's dead.

That is what I like about Mao.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Grand Fromage posted:

No, he was a doctor and a commercial airline pilot.

He eventually went on an international vacation and never returned.

Oh no! He must have been distracted from piloting the plane by a medical emergency!

RIP that brave, accomplished hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Atopian posted:

Oh no! He must have been distracted from piloting the plane by a medical emergency!

RIP that brave, accomplished hero.

He said would take international flights on vacation a couple times a month, and on every flight there was a medical emergency that involved asking is there a doctor on the plane, which he was able to respond to and save the patient.