Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

UCP will get crushed but since there are like 3 other Conservative parties in Alberta I have to assume one of them will win.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Probably the NDP one

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Furnaceface posted:

Hickory Sticks :colbert:

Right now most provinces have Conservative premiers, but theyre all in the gutter for approval ratings. Other than Alberta and Saskatchewan what other provinces seem likely to stay Con comes the next provincial election?

Nova Scotia. (Red Toryish but still Conservative.)

Furnaceface posted:

UCP will get crushed but since there are like 3 other Conservative parties in Alberta I have to assume one of them will win.

This is not what vote splitting does.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Cynically my home province

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Furnaceface posted:

I don't see anyone but the ucp or ndp winning here. No splinter con party is gonna attract the full right wing spectrum and there's no vote splitting on the left here anymore.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

PT6A posted:

I think most of the problematic people are smoking too little cannabis, not too much.

You don't go round an MLA's house and set up nooses if you're stoned, you sit on the couch and listen to music whilst eating Hawkins Cheezies.

Far from legal weed, we need mandatory weed.

You can't even grow your own in Manitoba.

Southern MB newspapers STILL talk about weed overdoses and deaths

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Albino Squirrel posted:

I don't see anyone but the ucp or ndp winning here. No splinter con party is gonna attract the full right wing spectrum and there's no vote splitting on the left here anymore.

I was surprised to see the Liberals making a rally of sorts in recent polls. Still like 5% but still, imagine hating the idea of the NDP enough to vote for the Alberta Liberals lol

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

Furnaceface posted:

Other than Alberta and Saskatchewan what other provinces seem likely to stay Con comes the next provincial election?

Quebec :smithicide:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Manitoba, probably.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

AB election is too far off for me to comfortably say the UCP are toast. Albertans suck.

After the latest polling my riding came out as "leans NDP" because it is full of loving rich white single family households and I kind of hate it.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Pleads posted:

AB election is too far off for me to comfortably say the UCP are toast. Albertans suck.

After the latest polling my riding came out as "leans NDP" because it is full of loving rich white single family households and I kind of hate it.
Seriously I think that a ton of UCP supporters are temporarily demoralized and just aren't answering any polls. The race is gonna tighten substantially compared to the insane lead the NDP presently have, but it's very much a two-party province at the moment.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Furnaceface posted:

Right now most provinces have Conservative premiers, but theyre all in the gutter for approval ratings. Other than Alberta and Saskatchewan what other provinces seem likely to stay Con comes the next provincial election?
Ontario maybe, because the opposition seems perfectly capable of loving up the easiest lay-up of an election.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Furnaceface posted:

Manitoba. Probably by a disturbing landslide. With Pallister gone, the Cons will be able to go "See, we're good now! It was all his fault" all the while continuing his policies, and continuing to hammer on the "Kinew is a woman-beater" button, especially now that the Con premier is a woman. Part of me wishes the crazy lady did win, despite the horrible damage she would do, just so people remember that the Cons are not good for anyone's interests by the time the next election rolls around (still hoping for the hail Mary joke ending where her request to the Queen's Bench for another (intra-party) election results in the Queens Bench ordering a new provincial election).

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Arc Hammer posted:

Talked to my brother about the minimum wage increase. This is what he replied with:

I mean yeah, social reform would be great but none of the parties are interested in fixing the problem with reform so keeping minimum at $8.50 like he suggests seems utterly insane to me given the circumstances.

If I'm following his logic here, this nebulous 'social reform' should fix the job marketplace so that employers have to offer good wages to get people. Putting aside that that is kind of happening right now, if this kind of magic happened why would you need a minimum wage at all? This blather about reform just sounds like a smokescreen for his real views that he just doesn't want 'burger flippers' to have a decent life off their wages.

Femtosecond posted:

For some reason I'd thought the BC government already did this ??? Maybe what I'd read before was something at a more informal level? (ie. "we're talking with the Health Minister about blah blah")

[decriminalization]

Sounds cool and all, but I would be extremely concerned that the redirection to services is still supposed to be done via the police showing up. From the quotes you can see that they're concerned about thresholds and 'danger', even for this small step. If it's no longer a crime to hold then there's no reason for police to be involved. Given how poo poo the VPD is I expect them to either threaten/harass drug users or just do nothing.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Sashimi posted:

Ontario maybe, because the opposition seems perfectly capable of loving up the easiest lay-up of an election.

I think the NDP have zero shot in Ontario, unfortunately, because Bob Rae did a (not actually) bad thing 30 years ago and so nothing can get better ever.

Del Duca might have a shot if literally anyone knew who he was.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
As long as he's got that (Liberal) next to his name someone will vote for him.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

enki42 posted:

I think the NDP have zero shot in Ontario, unfortunately, because Bob Rae did a (not actually) bad thing 30 years ago and so nothing can get better ever.

Nothing at all to do with Horwath guys, 4th time's the charm

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

enki42 posted:

I mean he was outpolling Ford for a bit despite nobody knowing who he was earlier this year IIRC.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

The year is 2090 and the ONDP finally appear poised to sweep into power on the back of a young charismatic leader. Opening line of a Toronto Star op-ed a week before the election: "I feel the excitement too, but on the 100th anniversary of Rae Days we need to ask ourselves if we can really trust the NDP with power"

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Nothing at all to do with Horwath guys, 4th time's the charm

Is there just noone else on the bench or what

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I mean he was outpolling Ford for a bit despite nobody knowing who he was earlier this year IIRC.

I think "name recognition" is something politcal pundits love to fawn over but has little bearing to actual performance.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Noblesse Obliged posted:

My bigger issue is that there’s no metric for inflation that is meaningful to regular people. It’s decided upon by those who use it to benefit capital over workers.

If inflation was calculated based on real things that everyone has to have like food, shelter, energy etc then maybe it would be useful for this.

They purposefully exclude all of those things and then announce inflation is at 2.2% while we pay 20% more for real things we need.

This is the list of things included in the CPI:
https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/62f0014m/62f0014m2021015-eng.htm
and the weightings are here:
https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1/en/tv.action?pid=1810000701

Certainly there are objections to be made with how inflation is calculated, but claiming it excludes "food, shelter, energy" is just plain wrong.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

HappyHippo posted:

Certainly there are objections to be made with how inflation is calculated, but claiming it excludes "food, shelter, energy" is just plain wrong.

So you believe inflation is only 3.15% right now? I think it’s all lies personally.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

HappyHippo posted:

It's not totally wrong, house prices are explicitely excluded.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Premier Doug Ford has announced he will not mandate COVID-19 vaccines for hospital workers, saying he's 'not prepared to jeopardize the delivery of care to millions of Ontarians.'

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-won-t-mandate-covid-19-vaccines-for-hospital-workers-1.5650760

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

thank god we still have a righ tto health care from people who don't believe in... um...

*squints at hand* OH COME ON

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

The Coward Douglas Ford, table'd again!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I hope this is another one of those times where Doug says something stupid and is forced to change track a day or two later.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

thank god we still have a righ tto health care from people who don't believe in... um...

*squints at hand* OH COME ON

There are way more of them than you'd think, which definitely doesn't bode well for our healthcare system in general.

McGavin posted:

I hope this is another one of those times where Doug says something stupid and is forced to change track a day or two later.

I think it's vaccination or rapid tests multiple times a week, so I don't think the union is going to cave on the exemption.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Premier Doug Ford has announced he will not mandate COVID-19 vaccines for hospital workers, saying he's 'not prepared to jeopardize the delivery of care to millions of Ontarians.'

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-won-t-mandate-covid-19-vaccines-for-hospital-workers-1.5650760

TBH most hospitals have mandated it anyway and based on recent court decisions have legal backing so it's just him taking the most cowardly route.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

TBH most hospitals have mandated it anyway and based on recent court decisions have legal backing so it's just him taking the most cowardly route.

And incentivizing other provinces to do the same. Which ain't great.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

ONDP are dead in the water because that's where they want to be. They didn't turf Horwath after she lost to Ford with the Libs having imploded -- the best chance they'd ever get to win. Keeping a loser like that around means aren't serious about winning elections and are just cashing cheques at this point.

And yeah, any hospital worth a toss has already mandated COVID vaccinations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lol Kenney just said that Blanchet should be grateful for all the money Alberta has made for Quebec.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

Lol Kenney just said that Blanchet should be grateful for all the money Alberta has made for Quebec.

"Quebec is taking our money!" is the Alberta version of "Immigrants are taking our jerbs!"

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Arc Hammer posted:

And incentivizing other provinces to do the same. Which ain't great.

Were other provinces waiting to follow Ontario's lead on this?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

pokeyman posted:

Were other provinces waiting to follow Ontario's lead on this?

I can quite honestly see Alberta and Saskatchewan doing this.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Saw this surplus listing just now, and thought of HAL https://www.gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng.cfm?snc=wfsav&sc=enc-bid&scn=402028&lcn=551065&lct=L&srchtype=&lci=&str=1&lotnf=1&frmsr=1&sf=ferm-clos

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Yeah, just Ford doing his Ford thing. Every hospital around has mostly already fired or suspended their non-vaccinated employees, so Ford is just taking the easy route of not having to take a position since it's been done for him.

Here's a link about that latest Blanchet-Kenny slapfight.
https://edmontonjournal.com/news/politics/alberta-legislature-government-equalization-referendum-debate-ucp-ndp

Pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Alctel posted:

Is there just noone else on the bench or what