Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Isn't it likely that's the matched absence voting thing? Like if those 28 Labour MPs had voted against they just would have dragged in 28 extra Tories to vote for.

lol that one of them is Starmer though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Doccykins posted:

https://votes.parliament.uk/Votes/Commons/Division/1124

The amendment vote carried by 18 and 28 Labour MPs abstained

lol

lmao

great democracy, cool country

edit: not just Labour MPs, 13 SNP, 3 Independents, 2 Plaid, 1 SDLP and the milkman also didn't vote

I mean some are going to have abstained because of illness (like starmer) but you think they would have been herding as many of them as they could into the chamber. Some of those definitely abstained by choice

e: and the SNP have no loving excuse

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
So the only non-tory voters are the sexpest conservative who still doesnt have the whip back, and Sammy Wilson.

13 broke the whip.

peanut- posted:

Isn't it likely that's the matched absence voting thing? Like if those 28 Labour MPs had voted against they just would have dragged in 28 extra Tories to vote for.

lol that one of them is Starmer though

Tories will break pairing convention whenever doing so lets them win, labour won't break it to maintain a basic principle of democracy lmao

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Spangly A posted:

Wait so they got 250 votes, on a three line whip, with 361 MPs, on a bill opposition MPs apparently also supported?

Am I missing something or are there really a decent chunk of Tories who think "fully legalise corruption" is a step too far?

nope, they're just too ashamed to have their name next to it

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

lol

lmao

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

the state of this country is extremely good and cool actually

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The international rules based order strikes again.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

I think the funniest thing about this is that the government is happy to destroy any pretence that they are opposed to corruption to save 1 MP. From being suspended for a month.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I think the funniest thing about this is that the government is happy to destroy any pretence that they are opposed to corruption to save 1 MP. From being suspended for a month. themselves if they get caught

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Is this too much hubris? It is at least the lead story in every paper.

Con (+2)

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Yeah it's not even remotely about Owen Paterson, it's just a nice excuse to have a vote on it and absolve themselves (even more) of any potential future consequences.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would be surprised if it makes much difference, the people who vote for them are still gonna vote for them as long as they promise to make everything worse.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Spite overtaking Gove's cocaine to become the most powerful substance in British politics needs a commiserative day of some kind

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Looking at the voting records of the 13 Tories, Holly mumby croft kinda stands out. Incredible Brexit energy, grandad a steelworker, only 36, loves schools and hospitals, 'ates forrins, bribery, kids going hungry, simple as.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I think the funniest thing about this is that the government is happy to destroy any pretence that they are opposed to corruption to save 1 MP. From being suspended for a month.

It's not 1 MP, it's 248. It could be harder to do the bad apples line if it gets made public that the majority of your party (and entirety of your cabinet) are too corrupt for hm's government. They've just dealt with that possibility at absolutely no political cost

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

The other way to look at it is that Boris just explicitly gave the go ahead to anyone that needs a bit of extra undeclared cash for cocaine and chalet renovations

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Let us not forget wood-pellet fed biomass boiler heated horse solarium as an option

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Just got one of those emails from the Labour Party about that breach. Using an email address I didn't use for them for at least 2 years before I quit.
And I have now been formally quit (including confirmation email from them since March 2020.

I do use that email address for Unite though. So I'm wondering if they're also picking up affiliates. I've not got round to stopping the political contribution element so I can possibly still get a vote in a leadership challenge if anyone worth it stands.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

peanut- posted:

Is this too much hubris? It is at least the lead story in every paper.

Con (+2)

I doubt it. Most non-politically engaged people think 'they're all at it anyway' 'what more can you expect' 'wot a larf, Boris boys cheaky stealin' bantz' etc.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Yeah exactly this is just going to lead to "well they're all corrupt aren't they" rather than any anger targeted specifically at tories.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/SaHreports/status/1455529109602422796

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean looking at the labour party they probably aren't much better.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Just got one of those emails from the Labour Party about that breach. Using an email address I didn't use for them for at least 2 years before I quit.
And I have now been formally quit (including confirmation email from them since March 2020.

I do use that email address for Unite though. So I'm wondering if they're also picking up affiliates. I've not got round to stopping the political contribution element so I can possibly still get a vote in a leadership challenge if anyone worth it stands.

Yes, it includes information on affiliated supporters, so that makes sense.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I mean looking at the labour party they probably aren't much better.
I'm going to read that as a response to GDTs tweetpost.

Also :pusheen:
https://twitter.com/SaHreports/status/1455530187811131408

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Is there any kind of movement dedicated to encouraging people not to vote in an effort to delegitimise the entire political system, that feels the only thing I'd be willing to get behind right now.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Preaching to the choir here but if you as the opposition parties (I'm including the SNP and the Lib Dems in this) cannot even get all of your MPs to vote to say that the party are a bunch of shits, what even is the loving point in the whole endeavour.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think not voting delegitimizes the political system, unfortunately.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It does if people start questioning why these bloated, hateful fucks have any say over our lives, and that has to start with people not feeling like they have a duty to give them a seal of approval every five years no matter how little they actually like them. The number of people who think that you don't have a right to complain if you don't vote is distressingly large.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think that's really related to voting or not, though, that's describing revolutionary desire, voting or not I think is tangential to that, if everyone stops votng then MPs just vote for themselves and then shrug and go "oh well I guess that counts".

Equally if you have people willing to start fighting in the streets about politics then that's pretty separate from voting turnout, I think, they can do that whether they voted or not, and I don't think not voting makes them more likely to want to do that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The number of people who think that you don't have a right to complain if you don't vote is distressingly large.
That's just one prong of the three pronged fork.

If you voted for A and A won, then you won, what are you complaining about?
If you voted for A and B won, then you lost, get over it, will of the people.
If you didn't vote then you didn't play the game, you can't complain.

The logical sum of the three being "shut up, prole"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I guess I would say that the government's legitimacy isn't really founded in democracy, that's the story they tell but it isn't, the government is "legitimate" to the extent that it is able to govern people, i.e its control of the police and the police's control of the country and thus the government's ability to enforce its decisions on other people, usually centered around restricting access to property, places, goods, or services. The democratic process is just a small part of making people unwilling to challenge that control, but the main part of it is a combination of the feeling that it isn't worth it to challenge it, and that it is impossible to challenge it.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Is there any kind of movement dedicated to encouraging people not to vote in an effort to delegitimise the entire political system, that feels the only thing I'd be willing to get behind right now.

Yeah he's called Russell brand and was really popular around 2013

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

goddamnedtwisto posted:

They're not particularly sensitive so will false-negative quite a bit, especially because people are reluctant to stick things deep enough into their head holes, but if you're testing semi-regularly (and get a proper test, or at least do multiple LFTs, if symptomatic) they're fine. IIRC the false-positive rate is basically zero, but the false-negative rate can be as high as 25%.
Ah, this would explain why my partner and I both tested negative twice when I'm pretty certain we (or at least she) was infected. Cheers for the info!

All the best scams have already been taken :(

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Wasn't this exactly Russell Brand's philosophy back in 2010 or so?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

poo poo.

Guess I'll grow my hair out then, make my voice a bit nasally, see where that goes.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Bercow put quite a lot of energy as Speaker into going into schools and colleges to talk about the importance of voting, because he was apparently concerned that fewer and fewer people were turning out for elections.

Hoyle's first major effort was to tell people to be dress smart. Because that's apparently important.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'd assume any serious movement like this would be paid for directly out of the pockets of Conservative Central Office.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Coldwar_Steve/status/1455965885466820610

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 3, 2021

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

I suppose, on balance, Patterson is in the right. How can he be bringing the House into disrepute if the House is rotten with disrepute?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Loads, and more crop up all the time, but no institution actually gives a poo poo if a party won with 100% turnout or 1%, the baddies still control all the reins of power. You can't slacktivision your way out of constitutional rot.

Now, wide scale civil disobedience, that sometimes gets results.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Shame that insulate Britain crowd didn't head up to Scotland and glue themselves to the m8 Infront of biden's beast. Also when Scotland becomes independent will they rename the m8 the M1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Gort posted:

You can sit in VR for games that expect you to be standing but the game will think you're like 3 feet tall.

In Trover Saves the Universe your character sits in a floating chair directed by an xbox controller, which is pretty convenient.