Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

This

Steadiman posted:

Yeah it's a terrible deal that changes very little from what was already agreed and wastes the ridiculous leverage they had. Not to mention dragging this out for even longer, allowing productions to steamroll ahead with even more ridiculous hours and Fraturdays to get wrapped before this gets struck down.

The 10 hour turnaround still means 14 hour days (and that's excluding travel, from what I can tell). It should at the very least be 12 on, 12 off. I've no idea why IATSE leadership are congratulating themselves over this. The feedback below the line has been almost universally anger. Such a waste of an incredible opportunity to actually change something.

It's going to take weeks to work through whether the vote will pass or not and at that point a bunch of people will start to get impatient with the process and the membership will split on whether the contract is enough or not.

This was the most powerful position the IA was ever going to be in, I feel like they should have fought harder for much bigger concessions. While they'll still have power weeks from now, it's going to be less than the near 100% united front they had here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
they got sold out vOv

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I'm applying for an organizer job with SEIU so I can learn to feel something other than impotent rage once more. wish me luck.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I'm applying for an organizer job with SEIU so I can learn to feel something other than impotent rage once more. wish me luck.

good luck goon

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
From other thread:

CW: Alec Baldwin shooting

quote:

As the camera crew — members of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees — spent about an hour assembling their gear at the Bonanza Creek Ranch, several nonunion crew members showed up to replace them, the knowledgeable person said.

A member of the producer staff then ordered the union members to leave the set. She said if they didn’t leave, the producers would call security to remove them.

“Corners were being cut — and they brought in nonunion people so they could continue shooting,” the knowledgeable person said.

There were two misfires on the prop gun on Saturday and one the previous week, the person said, adding “there was a serious lack of safety meetings on this set.”

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Jesus they weren't doing safety meetings? That AD wasn't a spring chicken. This is gonna come back down on Baldwin as a producer too if they were intentionally undermining safety, which it sure as poo poo sounds like they were.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
IATSE is gonna have a field day with this.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Crosspostin

https://twitter.com/AnnoyedUSPSDude/status/1451638039860502530

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
this is interesting- Amazon workers in Staten Island filing to form an indie union. It’ll be tough to have the bankroll to fight Amazon’s union busting but if it works that’s incredible https://text.npr.org/1048956134

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Any new reports from the John Deere factory or have they managed to clamp down on embarrassing moments (for now at least)?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

kingcobweb posted:

this is interesting- Amazon workers in Staten Island filing to form an indie union. It’ll be tough to have the bankroll to fight Amazon’s union busting but if it works that’s incredible https://text.npr.org/1048956134
theyve been doing it very publicly too

i don't know about their success, but chris smalls is the ultimate guy with a vendetta after being fired

...it's also been interesting to watch the labor media's interaction with him and their organizers. it's basically non-existent, and it feels like people don't want to engage with him

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

theyve been doing it very publicly too

i don't know about their success, but chris smalls is the ultimate guy with a vendetta after being fired

...it's also been interesting to watch the labor media's interaction with him and their organizers. it's basically non-existent, and it feels like people don't want to engage with him

well they don’t have PR professionals with years-long relationships with journalists like every union does. difficult to tell from the outside whether they’re truly just focused on an internal struggle rather than getting publicity, or if they just don’t know what they’re doing. could be either! could be both!

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
https://twitter.com/GrimKim/status/1453112249590157312

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

any deets on the agreement

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
it is said to be similar to the LA/NY locals agreement. no idea how the area locals intend to vote tho

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
the NYT publicly posted about how they refuse to allow open bargaining. here’s an explainer with the union in question:

https://twitter.com/nyguild/status/1453116748924850177

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Alkydere posted:

Any new reports from the John Deere factory or have they managed to clamp down on embarrassing moments (for now at least)?

https://twitter.com/theintercept/status/1453110297837903874

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

So basically it's a shitshow and JD corporate hopes they can keep a lid on the mess long enough before all the dirty details pour out hilariously?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

There’s a global surge in demand for manufactured goods (probably especially for industrial equipment like JD harvesters and such) and prices are spiking. pay the union what they want, and pass off the price increase like everyone else is. Its quite literally the cost of doing business.

instead, JD management is donning their top hats and monocles and wondering why Pinkerton keeps hanging up on them when they scream “BRING THE BROWNINGS TO THE PICKET LINE AND GIVE IT TO THEM!!!”

it’s baffling to me.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

there’s absolutely a concerted effort by capital to defy labor even when it makes no economic sense to do so, because they’re afraid of ceding any power at all.

the upside is that because capitalists are all rugged individualist John Galts, it seems likely that some of them will mash the Betray button and cut a deal with labor to screw their competitors. AGCO should be out there signing as many contracts with farmers as they can right now. eat John Deere’s lunch.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/JonahFurman/status/1453346843925041155?s=20

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

there’s absolutely a concerted effort by capital to defy labor even when it makes no economic sense to do so, because they’re afraid of ceding any power at all.

the upside is that because capitalists are all rugged individualist John Galts, it seems likely that some of them will mash the Betray button and cut a deal with labor to screw their competitors. AGCO should be out there signing as many contracts with farmers as they can right now. eat John Deere’s lunch.

it happens even at small business places, time and time again petty management types will spend more on lawyers and union busting campaigns than they would ultimately have paid if they just accepted wage demands up front. seems like everyone in these positions have just been trained to disregard any opinion but their own on how a workplace should be run, even if it is economically irrational. it's wild to see play out

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
this is big- it means that starbucks now has to win every single small election to prevent a union from taking hold instead of one big election

https://twitter.com/SBWorkersUnited/status/1453846045612445698

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

SBWU: Super-Strong Logo Game

Good luck to them. :)

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

we ran into this during our contract negotiations.

the local made union healthcare exactly cost neutral to the museum, offering to pay more of the premiums than they normally would

the museum still refused, because it meant everyone (other employees, other institutions, the public, everyone) knowing that the union was giving their employees a better deal

their attorney was telling them that if they could keep health insurance out of the contract, they could hold on hope of breaking the union someday, but that if union employees got union healthcare, there would be no getting rid of the union

it was a material improvement to peoples’ lives, cost neutral to the museum, and would have meant people were healthier and more able to work, and they still fought us on union health insurance

they lost of course

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

it’s absolutely mind blowing to me. I’ve seen this mindset enough to not be surprised by it anymore but it’s still so alien, it’s like seeing someone order bacon and goose poo poo on a pizza. if you’re not a huge rear end in a top hat, having a union is great for an employer, because a lot of management functions that ordinarily require you to pay an expensive tier of do-nothing middle managers can be outsourced to the union itself. it gives you one unit to negotiate with who will act as a partner (since if your business goes under they all lose their jobs!). if I owned a business I would absolutely prefer to have a unionized workforce. I have been in a position to advise management of this in the past, this has been my recommendation, and most of the time they still don’t get it. madness.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

it’s absolutely mind blowing to me. I’ve seen this mindset enough to not be surprised by it anymore but it’s still so alien, it’s like seeing someone order bacon and goose poo poo on a pizza. if you’re not a huge rear end in a top hat, having a union is great for an employer, because a lot of management functions that ordinarily require you to pay an expensive tier of do-nothing middle managers can be outsourced to the union itself. it gives you one unit to negotiate with who will act as a partner (since if your business goes under they all lose their jobs!). if I owned a business I would absolutely prefer to have a unionized workforce. I have been in a position to advise management of this in the past, this has been my recommendation, and most of the time they still don’t get it. madness.

Our local just got control of the schedule back from management, and I don’t understand why it took so long. We were hitting them with at least one scheduling grievance pretty much every pay period, because the scheduling sups can’t be bothered to follow the basic contractual and MOU requirements for shift scheduling, let alone assigning overtime properly.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
today in “progressive” nonprofits union busting:

https://twitter.com/OvecUnion/status/1454466296066813957

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Any idea why this tweet went out? I for one love formats that strip all context from comments.

https://twitter.com/ovecunion/status/1454468877191110660?s=21

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

MrYenko posted:

Any idea why this tweet went out? I for one love formats that strip all context from comments.

https://twitter.com/ovecunion/status/1454468877191110660?s=21

Third image of the first tweet, the dude is a former NATCA officer.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

kingcobweb posted:

Third image of the first tweet, the dude is a former NATCA officer.

lol I’m dense, thanks. Twitter can still eat my whole rear end.

…And gently caress that guy. Legislative activist in WV probably means exactly all the worst things you can imagine. Our Legislative program is…

…Slimy.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
The staff at Image comics formed a union.
https://twitter.com/cbwupdx/status/1455197610952708100

A small victory but it makes me a little more hopeful for the IATSE strike.

side_burned has issued a correction as of 20:50 on Nov 1, 2021

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Deere workers rejected another contract https://news.yahoo.com/deere-employees-reject-contract-offer-022207992.html

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Wow that contract offered the pension staying as well as a pretty sizeable raise iirc. They're really going for broke

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

If they are able to hold out for the dissolution of the tier system that's going to be a really incredible victory

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/NYTWA/status/1455988973411737604?s=20

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Wow that contract offered the pension staying as well as a pretty sizeable raise iirc. They're really going for broke

it's so cool

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I mean, JD corporate broke down after what, 2 weeks? 3 weeks? There was definitely a scent of blood in the water.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
How many of these strikes are over vax mandates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

JD corporate is loving desperate. things must be awful inside, much worse than the glimpses we’re getting

poll plane variant posted:

How many of these strikes are over vax mandates?

literally 0 of them