Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Golden Goat posted:

I want more mega evolutions and gigantamax mons because I like them getting new designs. They're fun and good.

Except this boy

Yeah that's the best one by far. I love him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Framboise posted:

When SP comes out in a couple weeks I'm gonna challenge myself to only play with mons I never really bothered with before. Try something new and try to find some new favorites.

...probably. Clefable is my favorite pokemon so I still might make a beeline for one. Who knows.

Yeah, I try this every time there's a new game and always end up with Butterfree and Cubone in my party, if they're available.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Oxyclean posted:

Also, I hate that they made the special version of bigmax something, well special. Like I want to say during the Sw/Sh your rival or an NPC pulls out the specialmax of a starter pokemon....but your pokemon only does the normal boring bigmax?

Nah, I’m pretty sure Hop only gets the Gigantamax starter once you also have access to it.

Remember that Gigantamax forms for the Galar starters were only included in the first DLC pack, not the base game.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Golden Goat posted:

He looks like he's about to cry. Mega evolving him is hurting him.

All the mega-evolution Pokedex entries are low-key calling out trainers who use it as monsters who enjoy torturing Pokemon.

quote:

Sun: Gengar's relationships are warped. It has no interest in opponents unless it perceives them as prey.
Moon: Thanks to Mega Evolution, its child grows. But as the child is good only at fighting and nothing else, its mother feels uneasy about its future.
Ultra Sun: The explosive energy the child is bathed in causes temporary growth. The mother is beside herself with worry about it.
Sun: Mega Evolution also affects its brain, leaving no other function except its destructive instinct to burn everything to cinders.
Moon: When it Mega Evolves, it becomes more vicious than ever before. Some say that's because its excess of power is causing it pain.
Ultra Sun: It stores the excess energy from Mega Evolution, so after a long time passes, its body starts to melt.
Ultra Moon: It's better at beating things than grasping them. When it battles for a long time, the weight of its pincers becomes too much to bear.
Ultra Moon: A tremendous influx of energy builds it up, but when Mega Evolution ends, Heracross is bothered by terrible soreness in its muscles.
Ultra Sun: Its red claws and the tips of its tail are melting from high internal temperatures that are painful to Houndoom itself.
Ultra Sun: Due to the colossal power poured into it, this Pokémon's back split right open. Its destructive instincts are the only thing keeping it moving.
Ultra Moon: The effects of Mega Evolution make it more ferocious than ever. It's unclear whether it can even hear its Trainer's orders.
Ultra Sun: Extraordinary energy amplifies its cursing power to such an extent that it can't help but curse its own Trainer.
Ultra Sun: Normally, it dislikes fighting, so it really hates changing to this form for battles.
Ultra Sun: The yellow patterns it bears are old scars. The energy from Mega Evolution runs through them, causing it sharp pain and suffering.
Ultra Moon: The power of Mega Evolution was so strong that it smashed Glalie's jaw. Its inability to eat very well leaves Glalie irritated.
Ultra Sun: The stress of its two proud wings becoming misshapen and stuck together because of strong energy makes it go on a rampage.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I kinda figured they were just explanations for why the megas weren’t just new forms altogether, and they just ended up being downers cause they were from Gen 7 and really that tracks considering it’s also the Gen whose dex reminds you that Sylveon uses it’s adorable ribbon feelers to send good vibes to disarm it’s pretty.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Zore posted:

All the mega-evolution Pokedex entries are low-key calling out trainers who use it as monsters who enjoy torturing Pokemon.

I'm right you're all monsters for forcing your precious mons through harmful mutations!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mega evolution is flavored as a nearly uncontrollable power surge that causes a temporary transformation, rather than maturing and metamorphosing into a new, more developed and natural form. Many of the designs of mega evolutions don't feel like ordinary evolutions, because they conform to that concept effectively.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Zore posted:

Eh, Charizard and Lucario are cool with it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mega-evolution is like a pokemon going super saiyan and that's badass

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Mégas sucked

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Zore posted:

All those dex entries are from Sun/Moon where they clearly wanted people to use the hot new Z-moves instead.

I'm on to your propaganda Gamefreak. :colbert:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I like to think, given the general importance of the bond between trainer and pokemon (and how often people say yours is particularly strong), the mega dex entries are more that your mon is choosing to put up with the strain of mega evo because you both want to win so badly, rather than you forcing them into it

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm loving hyped to be very close to becoming virtual pals with this perfect Pokemon since I never had any of the original DPP games.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Nanigans posted:

Nah, I’m pretty sure Hop only gets the Gigantamax starter once you also have access to it.

Remember that Gigantamax forms for the Galar starters were only included in the first DLC pack, not the base game.

Yeah, maybe Im just thinking of the champion, or maybe a refight from the DLC or something. I ended up playing Sword after both DLC were already out.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Countblanc posted:

I like to think, given the general importance of the bond between trainer and pokemon (and how often people say yours is particularly strong), the mega dex entries are more that your mon is choosing to put up with the strain of mega evo because you both want to win so badly, rather than you forcing them into it
also how you really really need to try to get your pokemon to dislike you and they will rapidly grow to love you unless you actually just make them do nothing but faint over and over again

aka why frustration is always terrible

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

galagazombie posted:

I think people like the idea of the Orre games more than the actual games themselves:
Focus on double battles.
Older Protag whose part of an evil team.
A super curated selection of Pokémon to make you use new stuff in creative ways rather than the same guys you use every game.
A 3D game that’s an actual game and not just a simulator like Stadium or Battle Revolution.
The Johto Mons are back!

Of course the most important thing is that the games themselves aren’t really all that good in other ways, but even then:
All Pokémon is 3D now.
Johto mons came back with a vengeance in GenIV.
BW proved that you imagineless simpletons will whine if you aren’t allowed to use the exact same team you’ve used for the last twelve games.

another part of the appeal: the orre games, colosseum moreso than XD, aren't afraid to let bosses be actually threatening

Golden Goat posted:

I want more mega evolutions and gigantamax mons because I like them getting new designs. They're fun and good.

Except this boy

every time i see this fukcing dog it looks like its going to comically fall over on its side

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Blaziken386 posted:

every time i see this fukcing dog it looks like its going to comically fall over on its side

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Shiroc posted:

I'm loving hyped to be very close to becoming virtual pals with this perfect Pokemon since I never had any of the original DPP games.

I’m excited to have him following me around. It’ll be fun to have an old fashioned Pokémon adventure.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
:sickos:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I did it. I finally achieved my dream.

G-Max Duraludon in a Heavy Ball.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Blaziken386 posted:

another part of the appeal: the orre games, colosseum moreso than XD, aren't afraid to let bosses be actually threatening

I remember the final boss of XD being incredibly difficult, but it could just be I knew less of what I was doing in Pokemon.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Twelve by Pies posted:

I remember the final boss of XD being incredibly difficult, but it could just be I knew less of what I was doing in Pokemon.

Didn't the final boss of XD have Shadow versions of all 3 legendary birds? I think the difficulty came with trying to catch 3 legendary Pokemon in 1 fight while they pelted you with always-Super-Effective moves.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Poor Audino. Does anyone even remember that they got a mega evolution?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Am I the only one here who cares about Pokeball matching? I've never seen anyone else talk about it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Neo_Crimson posted:

Didn't the final boss of XD have Shadow versions of all 3 legendary birds? I think the difficulty came with trying to catch 3 legendary Pokemon in 1 fight while they pelted you with always-Super-Effective moves.

Yeah catching multiple shadow Pokémon in one fight was a nightmare. Thankfully most of them could be found afterwards if you did KO them.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Maybe they'd remember if its Mega was good in the first place.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Audino is one of the few Megas where I would be okay with it becoming an actual evolution. It's different enough in design that it feels like a real evolution instead of a Mega and if you had told me it originally was a scrapped Audino evolution, I'd believe you.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Nodosaur posted:

Am I the only one here who cares about Pokeball matching? I've never seen anyone else talk about it.

I also spend far more effort on ball matching than is strictly rational.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Nodosaur posted:

I’m unhealthily obsessed with it. Every member of my team has to be in an appropriate ball and no one on the team can share a ball. This becomes obnoxious pre ball breeding when I have to find weird ways to find low level mons in the grass and then trade them to a new game so I can actually use them in story. Like using the radio in HGSS to get a mon usually only available late game at a low level in an apricorn ball then migrate them to Gen V. I legit need an intervention.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Nodosaur posted:

No you are not the only one who cares, I care a LOT about PokeBall matching.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

I kinda figured they were just explanations for why the megas weren’t just new forms altogether, and they just ended up being downers cause they were from Gen 7 and really that tracks considering it’s also the Gen whose dex reminds you that Sylveon uses it’s adorable ribbon feelers to send good vibes to disarm it’s pretty.

Why is slyveon being pretty a downer

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

No you are not the only one who cares, I care a LOT about PokeBall matching.

The Golux posted:

I also spend far more effort on ball matching than is strictly rational.

galagazombie posted:

I’m unhealthily obsessed with it. Every member of my team has to be in an appropriate ball and no one on the team can share a ball. This becomes obnoxious pre ball breeding when I have to find weird ways to find low level mons in the grass and then trade them to a new game so I can actually use them in story. Like using the radio in HGSS to get a mon usually only available late game at a low level in an apricorn ball then migrate them to Gen V. I legit need an intervention.

at last... my people...

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I wish there were some kind of chameleon ball that auto-matched the ball colors with the captured Pokemon.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ajkalan posted:

I wish there were some kind of chameleon ball that auto-matched the ball colors with the captured Pokemon.

I read that chameleon as Charmeleon and was really confused for a moment.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

ajkalan posted:

They could replace the Premiere Ball with it as the bonus prize for shopping in bulk. Arceus knows nobody would complain about those things being dropped.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Geostomp posted:

They could replace the Premiere Ball with it as the bonus prize for shopping in bulk. Arceus knows nobody would complain about those things being dropped.

I would. Until we get a decent purple ball, Premier Balls are my favorite.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Geostomp posted:

What am I gonna put Arceus in if they drop Premier balls? Didn't think that one through, huh? :colbert:

Also, as someone who didn't care about color matching / weird hard to get ball captures until Gen 7, I at one point almost traded away my Dream Ball Arceus I had to get from the Dream World, that specifically hated Firefox, and forced me to use IE to get. Now it's a weird rare thing that I'll never let go.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Geostomp posted:

Real trainers buy 60 pokeballs just to have 6 premiere balls.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

Why is slyveon being pretty a downer

Typo, was supposed to be prey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Someday gamefreak is going to introduce ball switching but it's only going to be for one game and you're gonna need heart scales to do it or some stupid poo poo