Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

With SMT5 a week away this morning I woke up and stared into the bathroom screaming in a demonic tongue while blood poured from my eyes.

That's my testimonial about the Nintendo Switch and/or Atlus thanks for listening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

things that are fine and serviceable for some people will be not fine and serviceable for other people, hth

as a non-speedrunner, I find aiming in the NSO version of OoT to be really annoying and garbage. aiming was already kinda annoying in the original game but it’s so bad in this port with the input delay.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I can't wait to play high-school simulator SMT5 and get into hijinks with all my new social links.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

It's starting to feel like N64 online emulation issues are more just people with poo poo connections.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

I said come in! posted:

Ooh man, I don't know that I would tell someone to skip the entire genre altogether, but Chrono Trigger is absolutely a must play video game across the board.
I think I'd have to mod my Switch for that? Is it on NSO? I know Earthbound is

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

They're the best games in the franchise op

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Augus posted:

things that are fine and serviceable for some people will be not fine and serviceable for other people, hth

as a non-speedrunner, I find aiming in the NSO version of OoT to be really annoying and garbage. aiming was already kinda annoying in the original game but it’s so bad in this port with the input delay.

It's not just the input delay, the N64 controller had really low sensitivity at a hardware level, and games were designed around that and had high software-level sensitivity. So when you try to play them with a modern controller, it's way too sensitive for precision tasks like aiming. I think OoT ports have had this problem going all the way back to the gamecube. At least in a PC emulator you can configure the sensitivity in a menu until you find something comfy.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 22, 2021

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Astro7x posted:

Why are there three people online in a 1 person game?

Probably the same reason the same 3 people seem to have lovely internet providers. Bad decision making skills

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

As far as Pokemon goes, Omega/Alpha and X/Y introduced mega evolutions and Sun/Moon introduced regional differences and Sword/Shield had both, kinda but mega evolutions were dumber. Either way most of them were just Gen 1-3 based with a handful of Pokemon past Diamond/Pearl that were paid attention to.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

Tampa Bae posted:

Nintendo DS or Android/iOS are your only (reasonable) options, unfortunately.

It doesn't matter, the Switch is a jRPG goldmine and you have plenty of good suggestions. Definitely give Chrono Trigger a chance as soon as you can, though.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I preferred the old pokemon games where the plot stayed out of the way and didn't waste my time. "go get some badges, also team rocket is bad" is the perfect amount of story for a pokemon game imo

Nothing really wrong with the new ones tho

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 22, 2021

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Lastdancer posted:

Square Enix should put Chrono Trigger on the switch

as a double pack

with Chrono Cross

For USD $69.99

Because it's Square Enix

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nintendo is always doing poo poo like this under the hood.

To this day there are people who actually believe SNES-SImCity has 2000 maps saved on that tiny cartridge and think the reason the game needs 14 seconds to load a map is "game is old".

In truth SimCity has 2000 seeds saved on the cartridge and when you select a map, the loving procedural generator Nintendo put inside generates the entire map from that seed. That's the reason the game needs so long to show the map: The map isn't loaded, until you enter a number, the map simply doesn't exist, it's just a number!

All just to prevent 2000 actual maps bloating up the cartridge.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I totally forgot about the DS Chrono Trigger until just now. I feel like I fooled around with that monster arena they added for hours and don't remember any of it.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

Mister Facetious posted:

For USD $69.99

A steal at twice the price.

EDIT: I am currently broke and drowning under an embarrassing backlog, but I'm still going to find money/time for SMTV. My only regret is not finishing SMT3 in time.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

The Postman posted:

I totally forgot about the DS Chrono Trigger until just now. I feel like I fooled around with that monster arena they added for hours and don't remember any of it.

The monster arena was okay. I liked the mountain bit more than most people and the optional questionably-canon superboss was fun.

Mister Facetious posted:

For USD $69.99

Because it's Square Enix

I'd still buy it. Though, given how much of a pain Chrono Cross is to emulate, good loving luck Square.

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day

Kirios posted:

It's starting to feel like N64 online emulation issues are more just people with poo poo connections.

this would cease to be an issue if they used rollback netcode for n64 online, though. pretty wild to me that they would launch this service without it

Tampa Bae posted:

Earthbound is not on NSO for some reason, and neither is Super Mario RPG. Earthbound is always my suggestions when it comes to classic JRPGs, but I guess it's a moot point in this thread unless they add it down the road

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Tampa Bae posted:

As far as Pokemon goes, Omega/Alpha and X/Y introduced mega evolutions and Sun/Moon introduced regional differences and Sword/Shield had both, kinda but mega evolutions were dumber. Either way most of them were just Gen 1-3 based with a handful of Pokemon past Diamond/Pearl that were paid attention to.

diamond and pearl remakes are getting released soon too. were those good?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Andrast posted:

I preferred the old pokemon games where the plot stayed out of the way and didn't waste my time. "go get some badges, also team rocket is bad" is the perfect amount of story for a pokemon game imo

Nothing really wrong with the new ones tho

Yeah. Some plot is good. But with Gen 6 onward they decided you couldn't walk a few steps without being stopped by some annoying kid who has to give you twenty minutes of more story or force you into some tutorial for some minigame you'll never do again. Sword/Shield toned it down a bit but it's still not great. The Let's Go remake was really refreshing in this regard. Blue shows up to tell you about badges right after you beat Brock and he's like "you know what, never mind, you know what you're doing."

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

abelwingnut posted:

Diamond and Pearl are decent, standard Pokemon fare and has more in line with the oldest gens than the newer ones if that's of any appeal

The main issues they had were fixed by Platinum and those changes are very likely to be intact

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah. Some plot is good. But with Gen 6 onward they decided you couldn't walk a few steps without being stopped by some annoying kid who has to give you twenty minutes of more story or force you into some tutorial for some minigame you'll never do again. Sword/Shield toned it down a bit but it's still not great. The Let's Go remake was really refreshing in this regard. Blue shows up to tell you about badges right after you beat Brock and he's like "you know what, never mind, you know what you're doing."

people loving hate those remakes but to be honest they're the most fun I've had with Pokemon since...the original Diamond? and the best looking 3D games by a landslide imo

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Do the Genesis games have rollback?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

people loving hate those remakes but to be honest they're the most fun I've had with Pokemon since...the original Diamond? and the best looking 3D games by a landslide imo

The motion controls for catching Pokemon was bad but I loved everything else. They were really fun and I agree that they look a lot better than Sword/Shield.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

abelwingnut posted:

I said it before, I was a kid when Red/Blue/Green/Yellow came out and Platinum was my favorite game just because there was so much to do in single player. They're outsourcing this game so they're probably going to lean into the fun stuff of the series like Fire Red/Leaf Green, Heart Gold/Soul Silver, and Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire were. They haven't missed on remakes yet and the base game of Diamond/Peal were already pretty fun

Tampa Bae fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 3, 2021

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

this would cease to be an issue if they used rollback netcode for n64 online, though. pretty wild to me that they would launch this service without it

Rollback in emulation requires saving the RAM state per frame. For SNES games which have less than, what, 0.5MB per frame? that's pretty doable. Maybe Nintendo thought 8MB (with expansion pak) per frame was too much or something. Or maybe they had some issue with ticking the game enough times during resimulation to catch up. Hopefully they figure it out whatever it is.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lastdancer posted:

Square Enix should put Chrono Trigger on the switch

as a double pack

with Chrono Cross

Both of these games are extremely amazing.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
it sounds like many would be happier with their money put toward a bespoke emulation handheld instead of nintendo prime

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 22, 2021

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

Lastdancer posted:

I saw there was some GitHub leak related to GeForce Now that had "Chrono Cross Remaster" on there so god I hope that's true. And if SE decided to put it on Switch I don't see why they couldn't bundle in another port of the recent CT re-release alongside it. An easy win right there

put Radical Dreamers on Switch, cowards

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
Nintendo put a pointing and clapping feature for online connections to single player N64 games so if you think that the people doing it are weirdos making bizarre edge cases Nintendo disagrees

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
Just take a breather, dudes. Majora's Mask is gonna come soon and sort all this out.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I've forgotten to mention but all the FF7, 8, 9, and 10 are all perfectly portable. What I mean to say is they use the d-pad for movement which is wonderful because of how lovely joycons can be at times. So that's just great since you can pretty much avoid using the sticks and preserve them for longer.

Just got Ifrit by the way. I'm really digging FFX. I'm curious to know what happened to Tidus and the deal with Sin. All the religion stuff is weird too especially of how it's so mixed in with blitzball. Also when's my first match? It's like the fireworks factory all over again.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Mia Wasikowska posted:

hey this isnt Some Speedrunner, this is Zelda Freak Glitcha. Show some respect

zeldafreakglitcha ftmfw.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Just got Ifrit by the way. I'm really digging FFX. I'm curious to know what happened to Tidus and the deal with Sin. All the religion stuff is weird too especially of how it's so mixed in with blitzball. Also when's my first match? It's like the fireworks factory all over again.

There's only one mandatory Blitzball match in the story and it's pretty early on, though not particularly soon after Ifrit. After that, you're free to ignore/treat FFX like a Blitzball simulator at your leisure.

Real quick, speaking of Blitzball: you'll end up on a boat again soon, don't forget to explore that boat thoroughly.

FAKE EDIT: I enjoy your sincere takes and insights on whatever game you're playing. :)

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Thunder Bear posted:

Just take a breather, dudes. Majora's Mask is gonna come soon and sort all this out.

if oot has emulation issues on switch then mm definitely will have them too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

three people on wifi trying to use the built in online feature to watch someone play a 1-player n64 game online are loving fail and deserve to have all the sound replaced by chittering demon noises. its obviously not possible to reproduce sound over connections with latency without making a bunch of crazy rear end stuttering noises and nintendo knows this. if you want to do some weird thing like watch your friend play a game online then get a loving elgato and set up obs and stream to twitch. dumb rear end!!!!!!!