Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Phlegmish posted:

You guys have recommendations for a typing game on Steam?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/246580/The_Typing_of_The_Dead_Overkill/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out

Enjoyed this one until it started having me type Latin while dodging a bullet hell storm. Seriously, I enjoyed flexing my high wpm so being reduced to 10 wpm killed the fun for me.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

JammyB posted:

Enjoyed this one until it started having me type Latin while dodging a bullet hell storm. Seriously, I enjoyed flexing my high wpm so being reduced to 10 wpm killed the fun for me.

And it also gives some of the bosses attacks that can jumble the words up, or temporarily render them difficult (or impossible) to read if you get hit with particular attacks.

Still, I really liked the game—but it bears repeating that it is probably one of the more difficult games in a small genre.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

wow backbone was cool. no one will agree with me (as the back half of the game is universally hated)

I agree with you! I liked Backbone including the tonal shift in the third act and thought the ending was fine.

I personally took more issue with them bolting features onto the game that added nothing (stealth sections, inventory that doesn't matter) but the story was rather good.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ErrEff posted:

I agree with you! I liked Backbone including the tonal shift in the third act and thought the ending was fine.

I personally took more issue with them bolting features onto the game that added nothing (stealth sections, inventory that doesn't matter) but the story was rather good.
yeah the stealth is a little silly, but any failure is a super quick restart anyway. was there an inventory? I only clicked the back button once because i didn't really think I needed to check what my objective was, the game kept things pretty guided and signposted

i thought it was interesting that they were willing to have a 4 minute cutscene of your character by the campfire as a song plays just relaxing without anything happening until the very end. people liked to say the writer/designer didn't know what they were doing with the story but choices like that felt like a writer pretty confident in their work, to me anyway.

i also liked a lot of the dialog options.. it's not a "choices matter" game but they were well tailored to the different types of detective character one might want to roleplay, whether it's compassionate, just business, very easily agitated, or edgelord/rear end in a top hat. i felt like i could play someone who was occasionally bewildered by people's behavior but ultimately trying to relate on their level.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 3, 2021

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Epistory made me believe that typing should be the mechanic for wizard spellcasting in RPGs. It's pretty and nice and good.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
It definitely knew how to make a boss monster feel truly threatening.

They also made another one called Nanotale - Typing Chronicles which seems to have flown under most people's radars as I've heard nothing about it and it hasn't come up in this conversation either.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/survive-or-die

for 15$ you can get SCUM, Breathedge, Wild Eight, Empyrion, Die Young, Dead in Vinland, and a bad zombie game

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Thanks for the recommendations. Textorcist might be a bit too hardcore for me, I'm looking to upgrade my current embarrassing grandma-style typing to proper all-finger typing and figured I might as well play a game while I practice.

Typing of the Dead is one I knew about before, but Epistory seems more unique. I might try that one.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/survive-or-die

for 15$ you can get SCUM, Breathedge, Wild Eight, Empyrion, Die Young, Dead in Vinland, and a bad zombie game

Actually building off of this, what are the best survival games? And I mean best as in both quality and/or fun, from Unreal World to the Forest. Here's what I have: (not pictured, 7 Days to Die)

What's missing?

e: If at all possible I want to focus on single-player/single-pawn stuff, so no Frostpunk.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Kanfy posted:

It definitely knew how to make a boss monster feel truly threatening.

I really enjoyed this part of your post.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Actually building off of this, what are the best survival games? And I mean best as in both quality and/or fun, from Unreal World to the Forest. Here's what I have: (not pictured, 7 Days to Die)

What's missing?

e: If at all possible I want to focus on single-player/single-pawn stuff, so no Frostpunk.

neo scavenger

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

StrixNebulosa posted:

What's missing?

Have you played Wayward? I have only played a little bit but it's fun for its cheap price.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

What's missing?

Check out Green Hell and maybe death trash?

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Like many people, I was lured to Voice of Cards: The Isle Dragon Roars by the puckish grin of Yoko Taro. I... think I've finished the game now - the internet says ten hours and I spent about eighteen - and I enjoyed it, so I wanted to mention it again.

Basically what you have here is a basic-rear end SNES-era JRPG with a pretty ordinary turn-based combat system...

... but instead of playing it on a console attached to a television, you are sitting at a table somewhere while a very calm gamesmaster narrates the action and lays out cards to represent the world and everything in it, and occasionally puts a little wooden table on top of the cards to resolve combats using other cards, a little box of crystals, and a small handful of dice. If a character is supposed to do something or have an emotion, the gamesmaster waggles the character card around in a generally appropriate manner. It's all very much like a Kickstarter project come to life, a tabletop-gaming version of a JRPG for people who want to play together in person...

... but of course you are actually playing the game on your computer or on a different console with a pre-recorded narrator and virtual cards, so I guess it's turtles all the way down.

Yoko Taro's sense of fun is smoothly present in the writing - things are very silly until poo poo eventually goes to gently caress - but the game doesn't feel like a pure Yoko Taro experience. I have absolutely no idea how much he actually had to do with the game's development, but to me it kind of feels like he was asked to come put his touch on the plot after the game was already in development.

Game is fun, straightforward, and pretty easy, right up until it isn't. It's a chill fifteen- to twenty-hour experience and it's pretty for a deck of cards. If you don't like turn-based JRPGs, though, you probably won't like this one.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Stux posted:

neo scavenger

A great game, thanks for reminding me to add it to the list

HopperUK posted:

Have you played Wayward? I have only played a little bit but it's fun for its cheap price.

Never heard of it! Thanks!

MarcusSA posted:

Check out Green Hell and maybe death trash?

Green Hell goes on the list... and Death Trash is survival? Huh.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

StrixNebulosa posted:

What's missing?

I like Conan Exiles, but I played on a PVE carebear server (I think it's still there, in PGS).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

and Death Trash is survival? Huh.

Hmm maybe it’s not lol I swear I added it to my list because it was.

Also check in on the survival thread. They probably have some good picks.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3655873&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=85

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Oh yeah and add rim world to the list. It’s good.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Hub Cat posted:

Last time it came up a bunch of people recommended Epistory - Typing Chronicles

That one is really good. I just played it out of curiosity back then not really looking for a typing game and really enjoyed it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Oh yeah and add rim world to the list. It’s good.

:yeah:

Cool Dad posted:

I like Conan Exiles, but I played on a PVE carebear server (I think it's still there, in PGS).

How friendly is it to solo-play? I'm afraid I'm still mostly a single-player goon :shobon:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

StrixNebulosa posted:

How friendly is it to solo-play? I'm afraid I'm still mostly a single-player goon :shobon:

It's fine but not made for it unless you're prepared to grind resources like a motherfucker. You can alter drop rates and stuff to make it less painful but I had a good time when a friend from work and I were contributing to a base together, fighting the bosses on the map and doing the PVE stuff but going back recently to try the new expansion solo I got tired of chopping trees and briefly cheated to give myself enough materials to make myself a home. It was all over once I discovered how easy it was to do that :sweatdrop:

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

StrixNebulosa posted:

What's missing?

Maybe you'd like Outward? It's kind of like a Morrowind-esque RPG with a bigger focus on survival elements: need to pack intelligently for both managing burden and carrying essentials for camping during your journey, dress and/or buff to match temperatures for different weather biomes, combat is deadly with a focus on preparation for traps/spells and avoiding damage/infections, your backpack is a physical object that can be stripped off mid-combat for more agility (though then you only have access to what's in your pockets), food and water needed for both hunger/thirst and buffs, etc. It also has a cool system where death doesn't lead to you just loading a game, but rather you being put into recovery scenarios, like getting killed by bandits will have you be kidnapped/enslaved and you need to escape and get your stuff back, if possible.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 3, 2021

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Green Hell goes on the list... and Death Trash is survival? Huh.

I don't usually get nauseous from FPS games but Green Hell always triggered it in me for whatever reason. I could never find settings that worked to stop it. So if you buy it make sure to check it out during the return window.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Big thanks to brownie for a code for WRATH, I already played a bit and it's a pretty solid retro FPS. Only the devs making saving a separate mechanic is kinda annoying.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

explosivo posted:

It's fine but not made for it unless you're prepared to grind resources like a motherfucker. You can alter drop rates and stuff to make it less painful but I had a good time when a friend from work and I were contributing to a base together, fighting the bosses on the map and doing the PVE stuff but going back recently to try the new expansion solo I got tired of chopping trees and briefly cheated to give myself enough materials to make myself a home. It was all over once I discovered how easy it was to do that :sweatdrop:

I think I've seen this exact same sentiment for ARK, so I kind of assumed that was the case.

FutureCop posted:

Maybe you'd like Outward? It's kind of like a Morrowind-esque RPG with a bigger focus on survival elements: need to pack intelligently for both managing burden and carrying essentials for camping during your journey, dress and/or buff to match temperatures for different weather biomes, combat is deadly with a focus on preparation for traps/spells and avoiding damage/infections, your backpack is a physical object that can be stripped off mid-combat for more agility (though then you only have access to what's in your pockets), food and water needed for both hunger/thirst and buffs, etc. It also has a cool system where death doesn't lead to you just loading a game, but rather you being put into recovery scenarios, like getting killed by bandits will have you be kidnapped/enslaved and you need to escape and get your stuff back, if possible.

I bounced off of that when I tried it in March, but heck, it's been months, maybe I'll like it now?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

First person to quote this post + have PMs or give me a steam ID gets Dead In Vinland

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

StrixNebulosa posted:

First person to quote this post + have PMs or give me a steam ID gets Dead In Vinland

What the hell is a Dead in Vinland

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's the sequel to Dead in Bermuda, which was an ok story-based worker placement roguelike.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Propaganda Hour posted:

What the hell is a Dead in Vinland

Do you want it?

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

StrixNebulosa posted:

Do you want it?

Sure!

Edit: thank you Strix!!

Propaganda Hour fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 3, 2021

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Phlegmish posted:

Typing of the Dead is one I knew about before, but Epistory seems more unique. I might try that one.

Epistory is also a lot more family friendly, which maybe isn't a concern for you. I found it a little dull as an adult but I was mainly trying it out to see if I'd recommend it for a friend's kids so I didn't really give it much of a chance to hook me.

I liked the original TOTD more than Overkill. The campy, silly atmosphere worked for me better than the HARDCORE EDGY vibe that the latter was going for, which I mainly found irritating and sometimes embarrassing. They took a game that would have been great to help kids learn how to type and made it adults-only for no good reason. The original was zombies but they're pixelated low-res zombies with purple blood.

Really my point here is that the original Typing of the Dead is widely considered abandonware and worth trying out even if Overkill isn't for you. It's just not on Steam.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

As someone who has 1,700+ hours on SCUM since it went EA in 2018, I can say it's a pretty fun game at that price, and it's being actively developed (current version is EA 0.6 and a lot of key features are missing, like the whole PVE side of the game with NPC's, quests, missions, lore, etc).

Time will tell how much of the dev promises will make it in the final game, but I can say I've enjoyed it with friends. I have my concerns and gripes but since it's still EA, a lot of things will likely get polished in time. It's also one of the best looking survival style games for sure.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

And it also gives some of the bosses attacks that can jumble the words up, or temporarily render them difficult (or impossible) to read if you get hit with particular attacks.

Still, I really liked the game—but it bears repeating that it is probably one of the more difficult games in a small genre.

I loved this game, but yeah it can get hilariously mean. About half of my 'rarest achivement' showcase are beating the stages on Hardcore, with the last three below half a percent.

Morganus_Starr
Jan 28, 2001

Phlegmish posted:

Not Steam, buuuuut:

https://holywow.itch.io/icarus-proudbottom-teaches-typing-collection

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

StrixNebulosa posted:

I bounced off of that when I tried it in March, but heck, it's been months, maybe I'll like it now?

Same! By all accounts Outward should be extremely my jam but somehow it felt more boring and janky than Gothic 1.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Has anyone tried out Lords & Villeins? It’s an EA city builder that after watching some YouTube videos looks pretty ok!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1287530/Lords_and_Villeins/

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Well, we also can't forget:
https://rhinostew.itch.io/david-lynch-teaches-typing

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Phlegmish posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/944920/Nanotale__Typing_Chronicles/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

When checking this out my first thought was "drat, cool games I can't enjoy because I'm trash and typing speed" followed up wondering if there were hentai typing games and welp the typing tag put that to rest.