Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

can’t medical bills be inherited though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

I don't think so but in some states, nursing home bills can.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

I don't think so but in some states, nursing home bills can.

But even in that case, the adult child is signing on as a guarantor. Possibly as a condition of being admitted there, but still a voluntary (potential) debt they are taking on.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

The best bizarre slot machines are the ones where gambling is illegal but there's an exception for bingo.

They look like normal slot machines, but when you pull the lever, it puts you together with other bingo slot machines being bet at the same time, then runs a fast simulated bingo game to decide if you win or lose and animates that result like normal slots.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The good news is if Nana is about to die you can run up her credit cards and then just don't answer the phone for 2 years and now all that stuff is yours.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

jesus WEP posted:

You can’t take on debt without consent.

These collectors may try to trick you into thinking you inherited debt though, but they can’t legally get anything from you if you weren’t involved in signing for anything at all.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Zesty posted:

You can’t take on debt without consent.

These collectors may try to trick you into thinking you inherited debt though, but they can’t legally get anything from you if you weren’t involved in signing for anything at all.
that makes sense but also there’s this thing that I was thinking about

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filial_responsibility_laws

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

why is everyone in this thread calling slot machines fruit machines

am i being gaslit

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Pro move:
Take out a large loan. Use the loan to buy shares in the bank that loaned you the money. Use the goodwill from being a shareholder to take out some more loans and buy a larger share. Misuse your position as a major shareholder to forgive your own debt since your basically just giving yourself money at that point.

Can't possibly go wrong.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Also, depending on the loan shark company, they might just start illegally repossessing your stuff. There was some guys in Virginia just stealing cars with a tow truck. Most people aren't going to bother taking them to court, they need their car back now, so they'll just pay. It helps if one of your employees brothers is a cop though.

Or they might just "repossess" your children's kneecaps until they get paid back.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

FreudianSlippers posted:

Pro move:
Take out a large loan. Use the loan to buy shares in the bank that loaned you the money. Use the goodwill from being a shareholder to take out some more loans and buy a larger share. Misuse your position as a major shareholder to forgive your own debt since your basically just giving yourself money at that point.

Can't possibly go wrong.

I do need to do some home repairs....

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Zokari posted:

am i being gaslit

It's a regional dialect

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Zokari posted:

am i being gaslit

"Slots" & "Slot machines" are an Americanism. I don't think any other countries refer to them that way, maybe some that have a high influx of American tourists do.

In Australia they're called "Pokies" (as in poker machine although the card game ones are rare now), "One arm bandits", "fruit machines".

We've got something like 5 times the per capita amount of these vampires than the US, too. The gambling lobby has the government (both major parties) completely captured.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Well the machines that steal from you were invented in America so I think we know what they're called

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Theres these machines where you put money into a SLOT and then these three to five wheels spin around on an axis and arrange pictures of cards or star trek characters or whatever into various SLOTS on the wheel and you look through the SLOT in the machine to see whether you won and if you did a bu ch of nickels fall out of the SLOT and into the tray.

They call them Pokies, i think

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B49zI5UrAQ

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Because the earliest ones were reels of cherries, oranges, bananas and the like. You know, 'Match the cherries, win a prize!' The name just sort of stuck.

I know I was just trying to make everyone feel old

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

The first rudimentary slot machines were branded with star wars, E.T., and such barbaric things. Not like the refined angry birds and game of thrones of today. Slotologists are confident that by 2027, slot machines will reach a point that they are themed upon the neuroses and regrets of the gambler themselves, maximizing revenue.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Wait, are we talking about fobtees here?

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

projecthalaxy posted:

Theres these machines where you put money into a SLOT and then these three to five wheels spin around on an axis and arrange pictures of cards or star trek characters or whatever into various SLOTS on the wheel and you look through the SLOT in the machine to see whether you won and if you did a bu ch of nickels fall out of the SLOT and into the tray.

They call them Pokies, i think

wtf is a nickel?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Capt.Whorebags posted:

wtf is a nickel?

Half a dime.

E: wait on further research it turns out Australians call slot machines pokies because they think slot machines are video poker machines lol

Local australian hits button, watches three wallabies line up, wins 40 didgeridollars, says "I love playing cards!"

projecthalaxy has a new favorite as of 22:33 on Nov 3, 2021

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

projecthalaxy posted:

Half a dime.

Well I feel foolish.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Back in those days they had a picture of a bumblebee on them. Give me five bees for a quarter, you'd say.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

projecthalaxy posted:

Half a dime.

E: wait on further research it turns out Australians call slot machines pokies because they think slot machines are video poker machines lol

Local australian hits button, watches three wallabies line up, wins 40 didgeridollars, says "I love playing cards!"

We actually did have video poker machines, they were fun.

You'd press a button, and you'd be "dealt" five cards. You could then choose which cards to hold on to, and which to swap out, to see if you could improve your hand. You could go double-or-nothing etc etc.

I haven't seen these around for ages though. Now it's all just the "press button, lights flash, money gone" type.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Capt.Whorebags posted:

We actually did have video poker machines, they were fun.

You'd press a button, and you'd be "dealt" five cards. You could then choose which cards to hold on to, and which to swap out, to see if you could improve your hand. You could go double-or-nothing etc etc.

I haven't seen these around for ages though. Now it's all just the "press button, lights flash, money gone" type.

OK all joking aside its actually super interesting to me that AUS got video poker machines before what I'd call "traditional" slot machines which as people have mentioned are at least in the US much older. Also that the slots are therefore considered a derivative/offshoot of video poker.

The way culture gets spread/imported is crazy.

E: do you know if its something like video poker was considered a game of skill so it was regulated differently than games of chance or something?

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

I think our early pokies were probably just the same as slot machines but instead of pictures of fruit, liberty bells, eagles, swastikas etc, they were playing cards. So you'd try and get three aces, or 4 kings or something. I doubt we had video games before spinning wheel machines.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
"loosest pokies in town" doesn't have the same ring as the slots version.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Zokari posted:

am i being gaslit

Something to do with toxic masculinity, is my understanding

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

The Bloop posted:

Well the machines that steal from you were invented in America so I think we know what they're called

Billionaires?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BiggerBoat posted:

Billionaires?

Slot machines are people, my friend

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Fun fact, the largest operator of pokies in Australia is also the largest supermarket chain in Australia 🥳

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'll admit this does seem extremely Australian

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

There are, in my estimation, approximately three possible situations that would lead to this fact:
1. An Australian slot machine giant decided to break into the grocery business
2. An Australian grocery giant decided to break into the slot machine business
3. An Australian firm decided from day one to be a combination grocery and slot machine business.

All of these are kinda charming in a way.

I know the answer is probably just some corporate mergers and acquisitions stuff but I love the idea of some guy stumbling into the boardroom at Mandalay Bay with an armful of produce going GUYS YOU'RE NOT GOING TO BELIEVE THIS

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
we talkin about chazwozzers now?

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Zetsubou-san posted:

Is that half a nickel?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Zetsubou-san posted:

I still want to know what the 'malanga gildechuck' is.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Capt.Whorebags posted:

I think our early pokies were probably just the same as slot machines but instead of pictures of fruit, liberty bells, eagles, swastikas etc, they were playing cards. So you'd try and get three aces, or 4 kings or something. I doubt we had video games before spinning wheel machines.

Actually, playing cards were the original “insert a coin to possibly win” style slots. They only picked up the fruit motif because of gum. The widespread machines would sit on countertops right next to cash registers, so someone getting change could stick a coin in. If you lined up the fruit symbols, you won that flavor of gum. That eventually spread to the machines that gave actual money.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

projecthalaxy posted:

There are, in my estimation, approximately three possible situations that would lead to this fact:
3. An Australian firm decided from day one to be a combination grocery and slot machine business.

I know the answer is probably just some corporate mergers and acquisitions stuff but I love the idea of some guy stumbling into the boardroom at Mandalay Bay with an armful of produce going GUYS YOU'RE NOT GOING TO BELIEVE THIS

It's gotta be #2. I'm just gonna assume that they decided to add one or two machines in each of their stores when it became legal or something and since they had so many stores it launched them above everyone else.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

projecthalaxy posted:

Ah yes, unbridled corporate greed, how charming :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Amphigory posted:

That's a puggy, and that's probably a Wetherspoons (or similar atrocious chain pub)

Chain pub sounds like the saddest poo poo imaginable