Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
yeah 500 nukes is more than enough to destroy the top three cities of every country on earth and guarantee a nuclear winter that would kill off the rest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

yeah 500 nukes is more than enough to destroy the top three cities of every country on earth and guarantee a nuclear winter that would kill off the rest

Mineshafts though

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

mila kunis posted:

Now, it is on the Yemeni island of Socotra, which overlooks the strategic Bab-el-Mandeb strait, that the UAE and Israel have created an intelligence-gathering base. The UAE has deployed hundreds of troops on the strategic island since May 2018, disregarding the protests by the Yemeni government.

The base can provide critical security services to the US regarding Chinese economic activity, especially its trade with Europe, and the movements of the PLA Navy.

[...]

Security analysts estimate that the spy base in Socotra will also be used to monitor Pakistan, especially Gwadar Port. Clearly, Quad-2 impacts the power dynamic in the region.
wait i thought it was only the perfidious Chinese who built bases on disputed islands in an attempt to control sea lanes???

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Grapplejack posted:

You only really need, at most, 500 nuclear weapons; at that point you can destroy all life on earth, nevermind beating your enemy or whatever.
That really depends on what your nuclear strategy is. If it's just bloody fanged gently caress you, gently caress everyone, gently caress Earth, MAD then 500 is probably enough. If it's self-defense against an aggressor with thousands of weapons in dispersed hardened locations then you are going to need a lot more than 500.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
I only have a couple of nukes so I’m not sure what the right strategy is

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

investing my nukes into a low-risk accrual fund so I can instigate an extinction event by my mid-60s

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

you're really overestimating both the scientific evidence that nuclear winter is even real, how devastating it would be and for how long

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Buck Wildman posted:

investing my nukes into a low-risk accrual fund so I can instigate an extinction event by my mid-60s
Alright Grandpa.

I put two m-80s in NFTs this morning so by next week I should be the world's premier nuclear power.

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011
Pretty solid bet those nukes haven’t worked since the 90s

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1455621996495114246

"we showed up" to make some empty statements that do nothing, and in the meantime the folks who weren't there are actually the ones hitting their emissions reduction targets, so really who's leading here?

america runs on performative lib delusions

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I hope they get up to Quad-4

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
could I interest you in a non fungible nuke investment?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Atrocious Joe posted:

Quad damage is important but so is the red armour and the megahealth.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

i wish pangzai would make more videos but they probably weren't healthy for him

https://twitter.com/hebeipangzai/status/1224716063553703937?lang=en

this guy is the hardest man on the goddamn planet, holy poo poo

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
500 nukes wouldn’t do poo poo to the earth and not endanger humanity. most of them being set to air burst and minimize fall out and or would be shot at military targets away from cities. sure it would cause tremendous damage and death, but not exactly cause anything remotely approaching human extinction or omnicide. hell, you might fend off climate change and save the global south.

we set off hundreds of them in Nevada at ground level, spread the maximum amount of fallout and gave people downwind a slightly higher risk of cancer.

edit: also nuclear weapons work tremendously well as a threat but suck tremendously if you fire them off because you are either dead, or you survived and everyone is mad at you.

Torpor has issued a correction as of 22:15 on Nov 3, 2021

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Palladium posted:

When viewed from the lenses of materialism my friend

i haev much to learn :tipshat:

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Jose posted:

i wish pangzai would make more videos but they probably weren't healthy for him

https://twitter.com/hebeipangzai/status/1224716063553703937?lang=en

This guy's poo poo always brighten up my day. Also pouring can fish sauce into baijiu? Maybe i ll try that.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Atrocious Joe posted:

Its going to be hard for India since they are running out of far away allies after Quad-2.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Torpor posted:

most of them being set to air burst and minimize fall out and or would be shot at military targets away from cities.

lol

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
https://mobile.twitter.com/ShellenbergerMD/status/1455909280217923593

i mean sure but xi didnt go to the climate summit so does that really count as leadership

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Airburst against non hardened targets (ie cities) is not just to minimize fallout but to maximize damage

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
is china building more nukes just because their nuclear energy plan makes doing it extremely cheap because lol if so

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

is china building more nukes just because their nuclear energy plan makes doing it extremely cheap because lol if so

No, because when containment fails the US will become too unpredictable and they cant discount the possibility of an extremely unhinged president deciding to first strike their silos. Even if they increase the amount of visible silos by 5x they dont all have to have ICBMs in them. It just means the US has to expend 5x the resources to make sure they knock them out.

Whats funny is that the Soviet Union killed itself with their military buildup and it doesn't look like the communists are going to be losing the build up this time around because the US is just that less efficient at it. The amount of resources taken to counter China's increased capabilities is significantly higher than what they put into it. You can even see it on their orbital missile, countering it means we have to deploy extremely expensive and manpower intensive anti icbm systems to the east coast of the country, upending decades of build up on the western side of the country.

Cao Ni Ma has issued a correction as of 00:25 on Nov 4, 2021

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

Not necessarily you can make reactors that use natural uranium (CANDU type design) instead of enriched uranium.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Al-Saqr posted:

has america cleaned the water in flint Michigan yet? asking for a friend ( the friend is Xi Jinping)

just pops up in other cities, look up Benton harbor Michigan

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

xi-pilled

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

No, because when containment fails the US will become too unpredictable and they cant discount the possibility of an extremely unhinged president deciding to first strike their silos. Even if they increase the amount of visible silos by 5x they dont all have to have ICBMs in them. It just means the US has to expend 5x the resources to make sure they knock them out.

Whats funny is that the Soviet Union killed itself with their military buildup and it doesn't look like the communists are going to be losing the build up this time around because the US is just that less efficient at it. The amount of resources taken to counter China's increased capabilities is significantly higher than what they put into it. You can even see it on their orbital missile, countering it means we have to deploy extremely expensive and manpower intensive anti icbm systems to the east coast of the country, upending decades of build up on the western side of the country.

all of this is meaningless, ICBMS are in the air for maybe less than 30m, and a counterlaunch would happen in that time. Also in the event of a nuclear strike there wouldn't be any warning, and it's extremely difficult to know who is shooting rockets at who, so at minimum russia, china, and the us would launch the entirety of their stockpiles.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

C-SPAN Caller posted:

yeah i don't really see a problem lmao, the real crime is the bitcoin portion, and he's probably not even looking at them for that

anyone been in china recently? I remember the smog in 2011 being already way better but I'm curious how its getting now as they keep reducing emissions

Because of the laws against public non-government air-monitoring services, and the... unreliable nature of government statistics regarding this sort of thing, it's difficult to say for sure.

Anecdotally, things got significantly better 2015-2017, then improvement sort of stalled. But anecdotes are not data.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mila kunis posted:

new quad dropped.

https://asiatimes.com/2021/11/a-tale-of-two-quads-what-is-india-getting-into/

A tale of two Quads: What is India getting into?
It is not clear how India will gain with plenty to lose through participation in Quad-2 with the US, UAE and Israel

The West Asian Quad (Quad-2), comprising the US, Israel, the United Arab Emirates and India, which President Joe Biden’s administration unveiled two weeks ago, also follows the same format – the US networking with regional partners.

Both Quad-1 and Quad-2 have China in their crosshairs. Both are conceived as “coalitions of the willing.” Both formats have sea power as the dominant paradigm. Both are anchored on the control of the chokepoints in sea lanes – the Malacca Strait and the Bab-el-Mandeb strait, respectively.

[...]

Now, it is on the Yemeni island of Socotra, which overlooks the strategic Bab-el-Mandeb strait, that the UAE and Israel have created an intelligence-gathering base. The UAE has deployed hundreds of troops on the strategic island since May 2018, disregarding the protests by the Yemeni government.

The base can provide critical security services to the US regarding Chinese economic activity, especially its trade with Europe, and the movements of the PLA Navy.

[...]

Security analysts estimate that the spy base in Socotra will also be used to monitor Pakistan, especially Gwadar Port. Clearly, Quad-2 impacts the power dynamic in the region.

[...]

Put simply, Quad-1 and Quad-2 are joined at the hip. Given Quad-2’s agenda to monitor China and Pakistan, Washington has thoughtfully invited India to join. Of course, Israel and the UAE also have very friendly ties with India.

However, a few caveats must be added. First, it is 100% certain that whatever the UAE and Israel do in Yemen and the Arabian Sea will have an Iran angle to it. In fact, Iran is under no illusions on that score.

[...]

Equally, Quad-2 has an anti-Iran dimension to it. India-Iran ties can never be the same again if New Delhi teams up with the US, Israel and the UAE in Iran’s immediate neighborhood.

One of the leaders of NAM to bouncing on America's dick. Absolutely shameful, gently caress Modi.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

wolf warriors, engage!

https://twitter.com/joshrogin/status/1455834135931486212

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
remember when there were lawsuits to prevent trump from blocking people on twitter

i mean good grief who loving cares its a tool to prevent your poo poo from being unreadable because theres too drat much of it if people didnt have access to blocking they just wouldnt read anything

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

click on this to read how criticizing the US for white flight is racist on China's part

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

C-SPAN Caller posted:

yeah i don't really see a problem lmao, the real crime is the bitcoin portion, and he's probably not even looking at them for that

anyone been in china recently? I remember the smog in 2011 being already way better but I'm curious how its getting now as they keep reducing emissions

we've had a couple bad days this week but previous to that air quality had been excellent or good for six months straight. smog is now the exception rather than the rule, at least in beijing

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

R. Guyovich posted:

we've had a couple bad days this week but previous to that air quality had been excellent or good for six months straight. smog is now the exception rather than the rule, at least in beijing

I wonder what China's doing CCS-wise. I know they have a few projects up and running and some being constructed but I don't recall anything talking about it specifically

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

R. Guyovich posted:

smog is now the exception rather than the rule, at least in beijing

same in shenzhen

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/cremnob/status/1456108006727430154?s=21

Crusader has issued a correction as of 05:26 on Nov 4, 2021

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

do not cum

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

C-SPAN Caller posted:

posted this a few pages ago

https://twitter.com/izak_novak/status/1454008688021286913?t=0n4txxHM1aO5FpcKsIXdhg&s=19

when I was in Shanghai ~4 years ago, it seemed fine, even in comparison to living in a windy coastal Australian city

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I was there 5 years ago and there was definitely a haze but it wasn't too bad. Beijing was much worse. I don't have many points of comparison though, since I haven't been to many large cities in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

i was in beijing for a week in 2017 and the first few days were fairly smoggy, then wind blew it out and the rest of the time was blue skies