Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Srice posted:

My favorite fact about Save the Cat is that the author had an axe to grind with Memento because it was a successful movie that didn't fit into his formula.

I have a friend who's a screenwriter and he insists that Save the Cat is a big part of what why most contemporary action movies are pretty poor. It's amazing how much it's formula is loved in Hollywood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
my kids will watch a Pixar movie like it's any other movie but if you give them a Dreamworks 3D picture they will lose their poo poo in hysterical laughter.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

shock wave 2 just came out in the american market and its wild how what sounds like a big dumb action movie has a surprisingly nuanced character arc that really fucks with your perception of what should or should not be sympathetic

basically badass action cop andy lau from shock wave 1 gets disabled gets mad when his bosses try to shunt him to a desk job despite making a full recovery gets wrapped up with anarchist terrorists and the moral conflict just grapples with huh heroic people can still do lovely things even when they have legitimate grievances

its a shockingly sincere acknowledgment that individual police officers and the police apparatus as a whole and for that matter society as a whole can gently caress up in ways with no obvious solutions and that even terrorists are just people who have had a few too many bad days

whats especially wild is that this is a chinese blockbuster yet has considerably less authoritarian sentiment than any comparable american movie i can think of from this century lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I mean it was kind of a gimmick that you can’t do again but that’s the point iirc. haven’t seen it in like 20 years

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Eric Cantonese posted:

I have a friend who's a screenwriter and he insists that Save the Cat is a big part of what why most contemporary action movies are pretty poor. It's amazing how much it's formula is loved in Hollywood.

I can believe it. The book is an interesting read insomuch as the dude is a total hack writer but it gives you insight into his hack logic and if you think that kind of hack writing is good (and he places a lot of emphasis on how much money, say, Legally Blonde 2 made compared to Memento!) then I can see how someone would go all in on its ideas.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Eric Cantonese posted:

that’s not why, most good action movies from the 70s-90s are also formulaic as gently caress (and most fit that dude’s beat sheet) they’re just executed poorly now.

I think they partly rely too much on effects to wow the audience and that lets them get lazy with the writing. most of the emotional/relationship aspects of those movies are simply not compelling at all which comes down to a lack of chemistry on the part of the leads plus super lazy “well they don’t need a reason to fall for each other that’s just what the two main characters do” (for a perfect example illustrating this think about Hobbes & Shaw vs Aliens). also one-liners > quips, give me “consider that a divorce” over “I guess THAT happened…” any day of the loving week

The Rock, Bad Boys, T2, Top Gun, Rocky III, Die Hard, Rush Hour, Robocop, they’re all by-the-numbers in terms of structure (they’re also mostly rated R) so that’s not the problem

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
maybe people who write hack scripts don't put a lot of time into reading good writing, also the book excerpt where the guy talks about how much money Memento made is gross but that's hollywood I guess

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

oh they read good writing all right thats what makes them think hamfistedly referencing these beats makes them clever the problem with that kind of wink wink bullshit is that its basically an injoke that almost never makes sense in the actual continuity of the story

worldbuilding in general is incredibly halfassed these days because the settings are designed as generically as possible to better facilitate sequels with new writers who will make poo poo up that wasnt even slightly hinted at in the earlier movies

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Serf posted:

i will give christopher nolan this, if you tried to get around the inaudible dialogue in tenet your reward was subtitles that said "inaudible"

rarely have i wanted to choke a film director to death but he sure came close

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK3IYMRZ4EA

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/OldPersonOnline/status/1455939361535561747?s=20

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

I saw this post right after seeing the covid thread debate whether reading books is inherently more intelligent than watching tv. let's just say lol

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Mr Hootington posted:

I've discovered cronenberg

he has a great cameo in To Die For

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

I think about this once in a while, it would be good

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Some Guy TT posted:

shock wave 2 just came out in the american market and its wild how what sounds like a big dumb action movie has a surprisingly nuanced character arc that really fucks with your perception of what should or should not be sympathetic

basically badass action cop andy lau from shock wave 1 gets disabled gets mad when his bosses try to shunt him to a desk job despite making a full recovery gets wrapped up with anarchist terrorists and the moral conflict just grapples with huh heroic people can still do lovely things even when they have legitimate grievances

its a shockingly sincere acknowledgment that individual police officers and the police apparatus as a whole and for that matter society as a whole can gently caress up in ways with no obvious solutions and that even terrorists are just people who have had a few too many bad days

whats especially wild is that this is a chinese blockbuster yet has considerably less authoritarian sentiment than any comparable american movie i can think of from this century lol

Wow, can't believe Andy is still at it. Always been my favorite of the 5.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1455928638285680644

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Aglet56 posted:

I saw this post right after seeing the covid thread debate whether reading books is inherently more intelligent than watching tv. let's just say lol

lol people who are like "i'm smart because i reading books" are like the worst in the world. some of the worst poo poo I've ever read in my life was literary fiction

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Casey Finnigan posted:

lol people who are like "i'm smart because i reading books" are like the worst in the world. some of the worst poo poo I've ever read in my life was literary fiction

Reading books hasn't made me smarter, it just made me a huge nerd.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

indigi posted:

I think they partly rely too much on effects to wow the audience and that lets them get lazy with the writing. most of the emotional/relationship aspects of those movies are simply not compelling at all which comes down to a lack of chemistry on the part of the leads plus super lazy “well they don’t need a reason to fall for each other that’s just what the two main characters do” (for a perfect example illustrating this think about Hobbes & Shaw vs Aliens). also one-liners > quips, give me “consider that a divorce” over “I guess THAT happened…” any day of the loving week

This mostly makes me think of the first couple episodes of GoT season 8 where it's trying to develop a relationship between Jon and Dany, but Dany's dialogue is just 100% smug quips.

People trying to emulate Joss Whedon dialogue has been way more harmful to tv/movie writing than Save the Cat I think.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
It's so crazy seeing everyone hate joss whedon nowadays because I remember the years and years of whedon being unassailable and everybody posting about how great dr. horrible's sing along blog and cabin in the woods are and all that

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
he just got annoying and then was outed as a pest or something. whatever the case, he ended up taking most of the hit for marvel's awful writing style which is still present.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

its deserved pre avengers marvel stuff doesnt use the quip formula at all and are much better movies for it

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

KomradeX posted:

The Death of Stalin was funny, even if it is a work of anti- communist propaganda. Jason Isaacs as Zukov is one of the greatest things ever put to film

Everyone in that is great, it's a brilliant move to not bother casting for physical resemblance and just speaking in their natural accents.

It's more anti authoritarian imo but ymmv. The movie absolutely slaps, one of those cases where the adaptation is vastly superior to the original, iirc the comic is pretty cringey and gross

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1456055391662579712

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ACAB includes Paw Patrol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Blood Boils posted:

It's more anti authoritarian imo but ymmv.

yes this is the phrase the cia came up with to Trojan horse anticommunism into the English speaking left

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
what even are quips? somehow in the last six months or so (maybe due to the eternals discourse?) they became the de facto criticism of mcu writing, but the only example I've ever heard is "so THAT happened," which... doesn't seem that bad? no accounting for taste, I guess.

I've said it before, but to me, the mcu is really infuriating because of its marketing moreso than the movies per se. each movie on its own would've been a well-executed, well-regarded superhero flick in 2004; it's the cross-promotional market takeover of the mcu that sucks

Some Guy TT posted:

its deserved pre avengers marvel stuff doesnt use the quip formula at all and are much better movies for it

maybe this is the problem: I haven't seen a new marvel movie in ages

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

shut up you know what loving quips are. this forum is hell on earth

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

indigi posted:

yes this is the phrase the cia came up with to Trojan horse anticommunism into the English speaking left

ok tankie

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

lol

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

from the comments:

quote:

The [speaking alien language] part reminds me of how I thought in skyrim in the dragonborn expansion that people in morrowind speak an "ancient language" that oddly sounds familiar until somebody said "Merci" and then I realized that I downloaded the French version of the expansion somehow

lmao

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I need to watch Death of Stalin again
and In the Thick of It for the first time if I am feeling saucy

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Good soup! posted:

from the comments:

lmao

no joke interpreting stuff from a third language in a second language is a great way to maintain a feeling of exoticism

i mean sure youre probably missing a bit of a context if youre not fluent but who loving cares youre consuming media for the feels not to regurgitate the factoids on wookiepedia

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

xi, save us from snyder freaks

ps. communism outside of tankies is purely hypothetical

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Good soup! posted:

from the comments:

lmao

TES lore has always been cooler than expected

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
The manual by KLF describes the templet for making pop songs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Manual
https://freshonthenet.co.uk/the-manual-by-the-klf/

It drat well works really well: Verse Chorus Verse Chorus Bridge Chorus.

My favourite bit from the book:

quote:

We await the day with relish that somebody dares to make a dance record that consists of nothing more than an electronically programmed bass drum beat that continues playing the fours monotonously for eight minutes. Then, when somebody else brings one out using exactly the same bass drum sound and at the same beats per minute (B.P.M.), we will all be able to tell which is the best, which inspires the dance floor to fill the fastest, which has the most sex and the most soul. There is no doubt, one will be better than the other. What we are basically saying is, if you have anything in you, anything unique, what others might term as originality, it will come through whatever the component parts used in your future Number One are made up from.

This bit has forced me to search for the most soulless story.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Re:dune , someone once summarized the dune series to me as: humans won the robot wars with eugenics, but it turns out, we were from a dream of an interdimensional god? Is that in incorrect belief?

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

Femur posted:

Re:dune , someone once summarized the dune series to me as: humans won the robot wars with eugenics, but it turns out, we were from a dream of an interdimensional god? Is that in incorrect belief?

Not really. I can see how the telephone game got to that summary tho.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Aglet56 posted:

what even are quips? somehow in the last six months or so (maybe due to the eternals discourse?) they became the de facto criticism of mcu writing, but the only example I've ever heard is "so THAT happened," which... doesn't seem that bad? no accounting for taste, I guess.

Jesus Christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

God Franzen is such a knob. Can anyone explain to me why he's still a literary establishment darling? I read 1.5 books of his trying to figure it out and I just don't get it, he sucks rear end