Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Yeah I'm not the squemish type by nature but some of the torture scenes were a bit much at times. Especially considering i can still remember when some of these characters were going on fun kid jedi adventures on Yavin 4 and like.

Star by Star straight up saddened and depressed me by the end which i can't say many books have, let alone a Star Wars book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Chairman Capone posted:

Also for what it's worth I think The Unifying Force itself is a really good book, maybe Luceno's best and one of the best EU novels overall, as well as the best of the various potential "ending points" that came out for the overall series over the years.

Yeah in my personal canon, Star Wars ends with TUF and picks up again with the Legacy comics.

As for why Danni disappeared, she seems to be a casualty of Troy Denning's de facto control over the post-ROTJ canon starting with Dark Nest and lasting pretty much until the Legends split. Dude really, really loved the Young Jedi Knights series and it's his Star By Star where its supporting cast first gets reintroduced into the canon, they play a *huge* role in Dark Nest and the upcoming Legacy of the Force. In particular, he leaned hard on ditching Jacen and Jaina's apparent love interests from NJO (Danni, Jag) in favor of their childhood sweethearts (Tenel Ka, Zekk), and their execution is.... well, we'll get there when we get there.

It's really bizarre how prominent a role he played in shaping the direction of SW Legends for basically the rest of its existence considering how little-loved his actual books were. My bet is he was just a really pleasant person to work with and turned in his drafts on time, so they just kept giving him contracts rather than try something new. :shrug:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

as someone who never read any of the young jacen/jaina/anakin stuff it was very weird when characters from those books became very important during NJO and afterward. i thought they were new characters that had been retconned in for the longest time

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I read JJK, YJK, and Jedi Prince in the 1st to 4th grade timeframe. Then got into the Jude Watson prequel books. Then Thrawn trilogy and other Bantam stuff before finally starting on NJO in 2003 right as it finished up, at which point I read almost all of it in about a year. But yeah, jarring to see the characters you read about having fun adventures as a kid dying and being tortured.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of NJO though, Vonduun crabs just got recanonized in a High Republic comic. Said to be from the the edge of the galaxy, rather than from another one entirely, but the skulls get claimed as trophies which fuse to the wearer's head like a helmet

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Nom Anor DID fake his death! He just waited 18 years to be recanonized :D

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Book of Boba Fett trailer out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOJ1cw6mohw

Not a whole lot there, but given the Fett teaser at the end of Mandalorian S2 and this trailer starting with a B'Omarr Spider, I wonder if they're going to do the thing from Tails from Jabba's Palace where Bib Fortuna gets his brain put into a spider.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Zorba the Hutt better be the villain of Season 1 :colbert:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Shame Boy posted:

Who is inexplicably a Shell Hutt.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I remember Jabba the Hutt's will was actually mentioned in one of the early Disney era books. I think it even mentioned other Hutts fighting over the will.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The Shame Boy posted:

Finally, all my work will come to good use!

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Forget Zorba - the show still hasn't revealed the requisite Star Wars Child character that the protagonist grows to love over the course of the season. And since Boba's taking over the rest of Jabba's estate, then there's only one possible option...

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
He was implied to be living with Cobb Vance in the books, but that story has changed so :shrug:

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Apparently that one was named Borgo.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
By Malakili though, which kind of implies it had another name prior to ending up in some rando human's care.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Finally finished Force Heretic: Refugee, and of all the books in the NJO, this is definitely one of them.

Like it's not particularly bad as these things go; most of it is generally fine on its own terms, with a few highlights and a few really corny things (so many exclamation points in the narration!). It's just the most filler book so far in the whole series, and everything feels like it's spinning its wheels for the whole book. The Bakura plot is fine, if predictable, and the idea of checking in on the old Bantam plot lines might be interesting in theory, but it really doesn't need to be a whole book and feels miles away from the rest of the series up to this point. The Unknown Regions plot is a little more interesting; I always like checking in on the Chiss, and the idea of Zonoma Sekot as a wandering legendary planet that just appears in a system for a few years and then vanishes is genuinely cool, but most of that plot is basically about looking through a library, and those neat moments are spread very thin across it. Nom Anor's plot is the best of the three, because Nom Anor is great, but again nothing particularly happens until the very end.

Overall this feels like a book that was written to meet a publishing quota, like they reached the end and realized they didn't have enough books to fill all the spots on their schedule. And the timing of it in the series just makes it worse; two books ago we were getting some epic space opera in Destiny's Way and the series felt like it was launching its way into the endgame, and now everyone's just puttering around to kill time. I'm interested in seeing where these plots go, and of course looking forward to The Final Prophecy and especially The Unifying Force, but this is really the point when the series should be building momentum and in this book, at least, it just isn't.

Also why is it called Refugee? Were there even any refugees in it?

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 3, 2021

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

My favorite part is when they get to the library and everybody is SHOCKED and HORRIFIED to learn that everything is actually in BOOKS!!! It's gonna take forever to find anything and you have a chuckle because it's kind of funny, but then it's not funny when that plot line just grinds to a halt as they very slowly look through books. Meanwhile things are still slow on Bakura and oh geez there's how many pages left with no chapter breaks?

Can definitely see why you and many other people bailed on NJO right around this time at release. Everything that comes after is amazing though so it's worth going over the hump!

Because Nom Anor is starting to lead a bunch of Refugees? Or he is a Refugee of the higher Vong class himself? It's hard to say.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The books thing is the only thing I really remember about how it showed Chiss society. How does it track with what Zahn has been showing in his Ascendancy Trilogy?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

The Shame Boy posted:

My favorite part is when they get to the library and everybody is SHOCKED and HORRIFIED to learn that everything is actually in BOOKS!!! It's gonna take forever to find anything and you have a chuckle because it's kind of funny, but then it's not funny when that plot line just grinds to a halt as they very slowly look through books. Meanwhile things are still slow on Bakura and oh geez there's how many pages left with no chapter breaks?
Even better/worse, the whole plot on Csilla takes less than two days real time. That's a lot of padding to stretch it over the rest of the book, and they still have to add a whole new subplot of a Chiss attack to make it.

The Shame Boy posted:

Because Nom Anor is starting to lead a bunch of Refugees? Or he is a Refugee of the higher Vong class himself? It's hard to say.
That makes as much sense as any other explanation I can think of, so let's go with that.

Casimir Radon posted:

The books thing is the only thing I really remember about how it showed Chiss society. How does it track with what Zahn has been showing in his Ascendancy Trilogy?
I'm bad at remembering all the details from Ascendancy, but there is the fact that when Luke and company are on Csilla they spend a lot of time in abandoned ice tunnels and don't actually visit any population centers, and we later learn in Ascendancy that Csilla is a decoy and mostly unpopulated, so that's a nice bit that matches up, intentionally or otherwise. The NJO really didn't seem to have fully figured out Chiss naming conventions, though; throughout the series we get a mix of Chiss with first and last names and others with the usual three-part apostrophe style.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Lord Hydronium posted:

Finally finished Force Heretic: Refugee, and of all the books in the NJO, this is definitely one of them.

Like it's not particularly bad as these things go; most of it is generally fine on its own terms, with a few highlights and a few really corny things (so many exclamation points in the narration!). It's just the most filler book so far in the whole series, and everything feels like it's spinning its wheels for the whole book. The Bakura plot is fine, if predictable, and the idea of checking in on the old Bantam plot lines might be interesting in theory, but it really doesn't need to be a whole book and feels miles away from the rest of the series up to this point. The Unknown Regions plot is a little more interesting; I always like checking in on the Chiss, and the idea of Zonoma Sekot as a wandering legendary planet that just appears in a system for a few years and then vanishes is genuinely cool, but most of that plot is basically about looking through a library, and those neat moments are spread very thin across it. Nom Anor's plot is the best of the three, because Nom Anor is great, but again nothing particularly happens until the very end.

Overall this feels like a book that was written to meet a publishing quota, like they reached the end and realized they didn't have enough books to fill all the spots on their schedule. And the timing of it in the series just makes it worse; two books ago we were getting some epic space opera in Destiny's Way and the series felt like it was launching its way into the endgame, and now everyone's just puttering around to kill time. I'm interested in seeing where these plots go, and of course looking forward to The Final Prophecy and especially The Unifying Force, but this is really the point when the series should be building momentum and in this book, at least, it just isn't.

Also why is it called Refugee? Were there even any refugees in it?

checking in on bantam would have been a lot more fun if they'd had like, waru show up and eat a bunch of vong imo

vong show up and are like "what the gently caress, a crystal star??? and some kind of...planet of twilight???" and then they get eaten

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Now that I think about it, The Crystal Star is one of the few Bantam books that doesn't get a major callback in the NJO. New Rebellion, too, I think. At least so far, maybe Luceno does in TUF, it would fit his style.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It’s bad enough that they wanted to memory hole it. I don’t recall Planet of Twilight getting a mention either, though I haven’t read the NJO in about 15 years. FOTJ felt the need to dredge it out though.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Casimir Radon posted:

It’s bad enough that they wanted to memory hole it. I don’t recall Planet of Twilight getting a mention either, though I haven’t read the NJO in about 15 years. FOTJ felt the need to dredge it out though.
Nim Drovis appears briefly in Luceno's first Agents of Chaos book, and there's a bunch of references to it in that section. Definitely among the less-referred novels in the NJO, but there is some because Luceno.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I can't remember if I've read The New Rebellion. If I did I memory holed it completely.

The only things I can remember from The Crystal Star are the Solo kids getting kidnapped, an extra-dimensional square, and Leia lamenting she's not wearing boots as she runs somewhere in high heels.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The New Rebellion involves a plot to replace all the New Republic’s droids with new ones that have bombs in them. Only other really notable because it’s the only adult book Brakiss has any real screen time in. YJK built him up to be this huge bad guy, so it was a real let down to find out he’s a blip in the EU and his only real appearance is as a lackey to someone else.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I shoved a New Rebellion reference into Disney canon :sun:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Somewhat related, I seem to recall that in Survivor's Quest, Zahn has some Chiss stuff that doesn't match up with the NJO. Though it's been so long I don't remember the specifics

General Battuta posted:

I shoved a New Rebellion reference into Disney canon :sun:

Haha, nice!

I actually thought that the plot in the New Rebellion about a wave of pro-Imperials getting elected after an amnesty law is passed pretty much works as an origin story for the Disney Centrists.

I forget if it's New Rebellion or Planet of Twilight that mentions a political faction called the Separatists, also. Kind of surprised Luceno or someone like that never tried to link them into the "actual" Separatists after AOTC came out.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not sure I could name the actual book that any EU event happened in and I read the entire Legends catalog at least twice

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
How dare you all forget the glory of Waru after he believed in you.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

“I’m on vacation” said Han, repeatedly.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Casimir Radon posted:

The New Rebellion involves a plot to replace all the New Republic’s droids with new ones that have bombs in them. Only other really notable because it’s the only adult book Brakiss has any real screen time in. YJK built him up to be this huge bad guy, so it was a real let down to find out he’s a blip in the EU and his only real appearance is as a lackey to someone else.

that seems to be a problem with alot of star wars books before and then after NJO. they keep trying to find the next thrawn but that never turned out so they basicaly ended up having villian of the week books with the heroes of yavin kinda stumbling upon weird poo poo more often then scooby and the gang.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
Prolly been asked before itt, but what are some of the best SW books that are currently canon?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Zam Wesell posted:

Prolly been asked before itt, but what are some of the best SW books that are currently canon?

We have an OP for just such an occasion!

It's mostly up to date, because there haven't been a lot of worthy books to add lately. Except maybe the High Republic books, but I personally think it's too early to tell.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

thrawn527 posted:

It's mostly up to date, because there haven't been a lot of worthy books to add lately. Except maybe the High Republic books, but I personally think it's too early to tell.

D'oh! I must be blind. Cheers. :)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Zam Wesell posted:

D'oh! I must be blind. Cheers. :)

No worries! I only meant to point it out, not make fun.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Zam Wesell posted:

Fwiw the three Alphabet Squadron books are by far my favorite Disney addition to Star Wars. The characters are on point, the plot is solid, the action works well. I really really enjoyed them all.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

On that point, i'm glad the images are back up for your read through the The Jedi Prince books! The world can once again have Dark Greetings with Trioculos

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

thrawn527 posted:

Whenever you get around to updating the OP, might also be worth highlighting the Aftermath character Cobb Vanth made the very rare and appreciated jump from written canon to visual canon.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Teek posted:

Whenever you get around to updating the OP, might also be worth highlighting the Aftermath character Cobb Vanth made the very rare and appreciated jump from written canon to visual canon.

Ooh, good point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Though the particular story of how he got his armor changed between the page and the screen, and Lucasfilm's position on discrepancies like that seems to be "it's all fake anyway so just pick the version you like better".

https://twitter.com/missingwords/status/1258990922387214336?s=20