Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

turn on your monitor

yeah got their rear end!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Alec Baldwin posted:

yeah got their rear end!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

punishedkissinger posted:

this thread got gross really fast

Could a mod please close this thread until something happens so we don't go horny about death or whatever is happening now.

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
thread reopened because the armorer's lawyer is saying somebody may have planted the live round

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Aardvark! posted:

thread reopened because the armorer's lawyer is saying somebody may have planted the live round

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

That person? Alec Baldwin

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Was it a one armed man?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

he's straight up blaming the people who walked off

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/nov/03/rust-armorer-laywer-suggests-sabotage-baldwin-live-round

quote:

Asked who would intentionally place live ammunition with dummy rounds, Bowles said on NBC’s Today show that he believed it could be a person who wanted “to prove a point, to say that they’re disgruntled, they’re unhappy”.

“And we know that people had already walked off the set the day before,” he said.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Want to prove a point that the set is unsafe, so we grabbed one of the 1000s of live ammunition on set planted it the day before with the other live rounds. And nobody checked it or paid attention and gave Alec Baldwin the loaded gun.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
She's also said she was overruled on safety procedures.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/oct/29/rust-film-set-alec-baldwin-shooting-live-bullets-lawyers posted:

“Safety is Hannah’s number one priority on set. Ultimately this set would never have been compromised if live ammo were not introduced. Hannah has no idea where the live rounds came from,” the statement from her attorneys Jason Bowles and Robert Gorence said, as first reported by NBC.

The statement went on: “She fought for training, days to maintain weapons and proper time to prepare for gunfire but ultimately was overruled by production and her department. The whole production set became unsafe due to various factors, including lack of safety meetings … This was not the fault of Hannah.”

Highly dubious about the planted rounds, but being overruled on basic safety procedures sounds pretty plausible with what we know from how the set was run. Even if true though, that still places a lot of blame on her for continue to work under such dangerous conditions.

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

breaking: factory fire likely caused by arsonist wanting to draw attention to the barrels of fuel left unattended near open flames

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

curlys gold posted:

breaking: factory fire likely caused by arsonist wanting to draw attention to the barrels of fuel left unattended near open flames

And they were right to do so :colbert:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

dr_rat posted:

Highly dubious about the planted rounds, but being overruled on basic safety procedures sounds pretty plausible with what we know from how the set was run. Even if true though, that still places a lot of blame on her for continue to work under such dangerous conditions.

you can't blame people for not leaving a job if they need the income

still, if the conditions were that bad around something that might get me killed, I'm pretty sure I'd take the hit and move on to something else.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
i'm no gunologist but i'm pretty sure they can be stored in places other than random piles where any plinker can get at them over lunch

Is the assistant director with a history of actively fighting against safety precautions also facing charges?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Is the assistant director with a history of actively fighting against safety precautions also facing charges?

As far as I've heard no charges have been laid against anyone yet. Presumably they're still investigating.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

whether the bullet had been previously loaded intentionally or not seems irrelevant when there were two professionals on set who both had a duty to verify the gun was safe prior to handing it over to a well known blood-thirsty murderer like alec baldwin

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Edmund Sparkler posted:

You people complain everywhere you go.

I love you so much

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

hollywood should hire an official firearms saboteur on every set to keep the crew responsible for weapon safety on their toes, just like the tsa hires people to sneak weapons through security.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Bad Purchase posted:

whether the bullet had been previously loaded intentionally or not seems irrelevant when there were two professionals on set who both had a duty to verify the gun was safe prior to handing it over to a well known blood-thirsty murderer like alec baldwin

It's so loving weird the way people are trying to hang Baldwin for this. He's an actor, and also he financed the film, he has absolutely no role in management. I think people mistakenly believe that a producer actually manages production which is a fair mistake I guess.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Just scrap Rust and make a murder mystery about this imo. Alec baldwin will be played by one of the other baldwin brothers.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
there used to be like 25 Baldwin brothers, but once Alec got done....

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

It's so loving weird the way people are trying to hang Baldwin for this. He's an actor, and also he financed the film, he has absolutely no role in management. I think people mistakenly believe that a producer actually manages production which is a fair mistake I guess.

i'm not trying to blame alec "the butcher" baldwin for this at all, he is who he is. the armorer and especially the AD who was the last link in the chain share the responsibility for the shooting.

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

your honor it is not the dishwasher’s fault that this fine china is soiled, as there is reason to believe someone may have eaten from it prior

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Its more the fact that he had significant agency in the ongoing filming even with all the glaring safety issues.

Obviously there is a bit of conjecture here, but it seems highly unlikely that he would've been unaware of the ongoing safety issues or the staff walk off on such a small production. So while he's not a "manager" per se, he could've said "we need to stop filming and take a step back, I'm the lead actor and this is my money".

I don't think he needs to be prosecuted for it, but he's got some culpability. Lesson learned I guess :shrug:

Calling it just a freak accident and Baldwin a victim is pretty obtuse imho, though.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
If you’re gonna big picture it, the entire industry that employs people like the AD and armorer is at fault. The AD in particular was an established big shot, presumably because he did his job faster and cheaper than someone who observed even the most rudimentary safety precautions. In a saner world, he would have been blacklisted after the first such stunt, and production would have stopped the moment union workers started walking out, if not way sooner. The real murderer is capitalism, etc. etc.

I’m not enough of an insider to assign a numerical value of culpability to mr. Baldwin himself, but it is definitely greater than zero and less than that of the two people whose jobs were specifically to ensure that he wasn’t handled a live gun.

E: like, baseline, he was doing a scab rehearsal with a real gun, after the camera people had walked out due to previous incidents, including two negligent discharges on set. That is negligence on his part.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Nov 4, 2021

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

dr_rat posted:

One of the reasons they hire young unexperienced or unqualified workers for a job is because they are easy to push around.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
This is clearly some meta 4d chess advertising campaign. No one got hurt cmon now.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Nuts and Gum posted:

This is clearly some meta 4d chess advertising campaign. No one got hurt cmon now.

Everyone knows movies are fake.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
It’s incredibly cool and also good how lawyers just invent a conspiracy theory as a defense because I guess that’s just what we do now.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
I dressed as the crow for a Halloween 5k this year and someone in the crowd shouted "sorry you got shot on set" which would have seemed very tasteless even before this happened

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

LanceHunter posted:

There could also be more regulation enforcement, where groups like Cal/OSHA or NM OSHA are making regular visits to sets to check up on things. Of course, the problem with this is that productions will just move to whatever place gives them the least "hassle".

Yeah see everyone talking about how it's just the regs needing to be more enforced - by who? And how?

Again, the Midnight Rider director is STILL MAKING FILMS.

Regulations don't do poo poo if no one is enforcing them. But sure keep making convoluted laws that everyone will ignore, that will certainly help the people on film sets! And counting on the complex rules being enforced every time, it's so much simpler than not allowing real guns on sets, right????

loving no. Eliminating actual guns on sets would make this a non-issue. And hell, then it's still the same problem, there will only be limited abilities to enforce that anyway, and I'm sure states like GA would jump on the chance to be 'the state that allows you to use real guns on sets' and poo poo. But folks saying it's just about getting the regulations in order and making sure only unions are employed on sets are fools. There's entire industries devoted to getting around unions, poo poo part of why NYC is a production hub is bc it's known as the main non-union hub for production.

Look here's an article from Scorcese's daughter, a set propmaster, about how hosed up film sets are nowadays while everyone in this thread is like 'well it seems like such an organized and buttoned up industry that this rarely happens in, and just needs a little more oversight' lollllll

https://www.businessinsider.com/prop-master-martin-cathy-scorsese-rust-shooting-2021-11

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Nov 4, 2021

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
That said, Cali is the 5th largest economy in the world, it could easily set an example and wield its soft power by not allowing guns on sets and that would have a vastly bigger effect on the industry at large than any of the well-meaning but naive suggestions for better systematic enforcement of gun safety regulations.

The only people who should have a vested interest in keeping real guns on sets are the armorers and their union, bc that's their livelihood. Everybody else, why do you care if it's real or not?

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Nov 4, 2021

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

pretty soft girl posted:

I dressed as the crow for a Halloween 5k this year and someone in the crowd shouted "sorry you got shot on set" which would have seemed very tasteless even before this happened

idk that seems kind of funny. Tasteless, but funny.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Ah but did you consider he might also have a writing credit!?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

pretty soft girl posted:

If you're that sensitive one might say the costume itself is pretty tasteless, no?

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

SilvergunSuperman posted:

If you're that sensitive one might say the costume itself is pretty tasteless, no?

You're right it was probably a mistake to drag a life size dummy of Alec Baldwin in a Yosemite sam outfit pointing a magnum behind me for 3 miles

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i don't think it makes sense to ban Alec Baldwin when we've have a pretty good safety record with him for decades now. I think we could just more closely regulate him and only allow him to be used on sets with qualified union workers closely supervising.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
"Cold nuke" I yell as I hand Alec Baldwin an obviously loaded quad barrel Fatman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

ive seen enough columbo to know this is a non-zero possibility