Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005
Do we know what Aaron Rodgers could have been referring to when he said he was immunized but not actually referring to vaccinated? Is this going to become a thing now where people are finding dumb loopholes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill Dozed
Feb 13, 2008
He got a homeopathic treatment that "boosted his antibody levels," so I think he was counting that.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Purgatory Glory posted:

Do we know what Aaron Rodgers could have been referring to when he said he was immunized but not actually referring to vaccinated? Is this going to become a thing now where people are finding dumb loopholes?

Did he already have Covid? Cause I've heard that one.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
The dead seem immune to COVID.

For now.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i wouldn't really have a problem with confirmed, symptomatic cases counting equally as being vaccinated for now. maybe that will need to change as more data comes in, but it obviously gives some level of protection.

not sure how practical that is, though, since i doubt that data has been tracked well and relying on the honor system obviously won't work because people like my parents exist, who claim they had COVID in 2019 with no evidence.

kazz
Feb 27, 2007

Black Bean has a tendency to stare and likes to hide.

dwarf74 posted:

It's hilarious, because our Kroger couldn't have cared less. Like zero friction.
When I got my booster, the pharmacist asked while he was putting the needle in my arm if I worked in healthcare and that's why I was getting the booster, and I told him no, that I have diabetes. My husband came in 15 minutes later for his shot and the pharmacist didn't ask him for his reason but did ask what he was studying in school. My husband is three years older than me and has graying hair, so I thought that was funny. I'm just glad neither of us got any grief during the process.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I work in healthcare and just got my Pfizer booster and the Walgreens tech didn't ask a single question other than like hey how ya doin.

Also it's two days later and I have the worst headache of my life, this is dumb. Work won't give me any vax time off so I gotta burn a PTO day. Better than covid still

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I work in healthcare [...] Work won't give me any vax time off

seems pretty short sighted of them

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Let's just say it's the deciding factor in both me and the other guy in my position spamming applications out to every other job in the metro area. We are not happy about it.

Gonna be funny as gently caress when we both quit

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 4, 2021

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Kill Dozed posted:

He got a homeopathic treatment that "boosted his antibody levels," so I think he was counting that.

His fiance is a big fuckin hippie so I’m curious if she had any input

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Bad Purchase posted:

the plunger should be hooked up to a scale and it sucks in vaccine proportional to your weight
Vaccines actually usually don't have this kind of dose-response curve, which is why babies can have the same dose as adults in many cases, and in at least one case adults get a lower dose than kids.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Bad Purchase posted:

i wouldn't really have a problem with confirmed, symptomatic cases counting equally as being vaccinated for now. maybe that will need to change as more data comes in, but it obviously gives some level of protection.

Not really.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7044e1.htm

quote:

Among COVID-19–like illness hospitalizations among adults aged ≥18 years whose previous infection or vaccination occurred 90–179 days earlier, the adjusted odds of laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 among unvaccinated adults with previous SARS-CoV-2 infection were 5.49-fold higher than the odds among fully vaccinated recipients of an mRNA COVID-19 vaccine who had no previous documented infection (95% confidence interval = 2.75–10.99).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kill Dozed posted:

https://twitter.com/betsey3000/status/1455937726239305733

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My kid already had covid. Do I get him vaccinated now, or treat this as a booster and wait 6-8 months after initial infection?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FogHelmut posted:

My kid already had covid. Do I get him vaccinated now, or treat this as a booster and wait 6-8 months after initial infection?

Infection plus vaccine provides more durable immunity than either alone, and kids in particular don’t have great immune memory against SARS-CoV-2.

They clobber the virus with their innate immune response and that leaves them with weaker humoral and cellular response that we would like to see guarding from future infection.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I loving knew it

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Rogers noooo....

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Hellblazer187 posted:

seems pretty short sighted of them
they're just trying to clear the wards.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
the one nano grain of truth is that prego woman somehow know that certain clays are high in calcium and maybe other stuff(iron and other trace minerals??).

in the old days before indurstrial pure bags of pure stuff people would have to get everything from food. Today the doc justs says to either eat more food X or take vitamin pills.

Clay might still have legit medical uses, I think poisonings , poop problems, etc, but the dumbass is applying a tool in the wrong way.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
he just saw how good a player clay matthews was and went with it

duddits
Dec 22, 2009
Recommending costco for boosters. Got all three of my shots there, and losing my card wasn't a problem for my booster dose, just got a new card identifying it as such. You also don't need a membership to use the pharmacy.

YMMV, but in Seattle, I've not had a wait of more than two days any of the visits.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
does clay have the same amazing health benefits if taken as a suppository? asking for a friend

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

duddits posted:

Recommending costco for boosters. Got all three of my shots there, and losing my card wasn't a problem for my booster dose, just got a new card identifying it as such. You also don't need a membership to use the pharmacy.

YMMV, but in Seattle, I've not had a wait of more than two days any of the visits.

Second. I mean I did everything inside the letter (if not the spirit) of the guidelines, but it was all self-attestation on a ninth-generation photo-copy of a form that no one is ever going to look at.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

Last time I swallowed Clay, he never called me back.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
In Australia we have a national register of our vax status. You can literally add it as a card to Google Pay or Apple Pay. Is this not the case in the US?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

In Australia we have a national register of our vax status. You can literally add it as a card to Google Pay or Apple Pay. Is this not the case in the US?

It is not.

The mom & pop sandwich shop’s loyalty card has more security than American vaccination records.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

It is in California.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

This study doesn't have a particularly representative group. If I'm reading it right, they started with people who were in the hospital with "covid-like" symptoms, then looked at how many actually tested positive for a covid infection and compared the percentage of those who were vaccinated to those who were previously infected. So the sample groups start with only people who are hospitalized, and in the majority of cases (>90%) it wasn't covid. That seems like a weird way to select your cohort and I doubt it's going to be a good representation of the overall population.

It also has a pretty big flaw which is that the vaccinated group is called "Fully vaccinated without previous documented infection". So the vaccine group could very well have had a prior covid infection and the hospital didn't have a record of it, or the patient had never been tested at all. That's common. A lot of people just don't bother getting a test, or couldn't get them at all in the first half of 2020. It's not small -- I remember seeing antibody screening results from NY last year that found covid antibody rates at about 3x the population rate that it should be based on the official confirmed case count. It's probably not that high anymore with more testing availability, but it's still going to throw off this study because having a prior infection plus a vaccine provides better protection than either alone.

Also, although they limited the time window to only the prior 6 months for vaccination or infection, the vaccine group was clustered more recently in time than the infection group, which matters a lot as both the vaccine and infection protection fade somewhat over time.

The study actually calls attention to those limitations in the discussion section (and others like selection biases and that their model weights appear to have either come from or been adjusted by machine learning, lol).

The CDC has a summary here of studies on the protection of both vaccines and prior infections, and in their executive summary the first bullet is:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/science/science-briefs/vaccine-induced-immunity.html posted:

The immunity provided by vaccine and prior infection are both high but not complete (i.e., not 100%).

They also have a table (Table 2) summarizing the results of seven studies about the protection provided by prior infections, and they all show at least 80% protection against reinfection overall at time periods varying from 3 to 7 months. It's still very possible that protection from vaccines will turn out to be better in the long run, but so far natural immunity seems to be pretty good too, and should contribute to reducing the spread of covid in a similar magnitude to vaccination.

Obviously this is not an endorsement to catch covid just because you want natural immunity -- the risk to your health and others is still immensely higher than getting vaccinated.

Edit: Another thing about that study that seems suspicious is how low the percentage of hospitalized people with "covid-like" symptoms who tested positive is in the period they looked at: approximately February - August this year (including the peak of the delta wave). This was at a time when a lot of hospitals were at ICU capacity or getting uncomfortably close to it due to the influx of covid patients. It seems strange that it was only present in 10% of patients that had symptoms. Either the hospitals they sampled from were outliers, covid presence in hospitals has been way over-hyped, their criteria for "covid-like" symptoms were way too relaxed, or their data is just bad. Something isn't adding up.

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 4, 2021

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Platystemon posted:

Infection plus vaccine provides more durable immunity than either alone, and kids in particular don’t have great immune memory against SARS-CoV-2.

They clobber the virus with their innate immune response and that leaves them with weaker humoral and cellular response that we would like to see guarding from future infection.

Sometimes I wish I could "like" SA posts. Love the depth of information you gave here rather than just a yes/no response.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The US specifically doesn't have a national vaxx registration and chose to keep all that info on a state basis only because they hate the idea of the federal government owning databases of individuals' medical records, which causes a whole bunch of problems when people move to a different state before they've had their 2nd or 3rd shot. Information sent to the CDC for their federal records has to be passed through a “data clearinghouse" to remove all names and identifying information. The Trump administration actually tried to establish a federal database but Congress shot that down pretty hard.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/08/privacy-challenges-trump-administrations-effort-to-track-covid-vaccinations.html

Each state handles their database their own way so in some cases there's a decent database which providers can easily access if you've lost your vaxx card, in other cases it's a total free for all with providers mostly keeping their own records and not sharing info with other providers so if you turn up to a different chain pharmacy they won't be able to verify your records at all. Of course the federal laws also dictated that people didn't have to provide ID or insurance details to get a shot (which was a genuinely good move to make vaxxes accessible to everyone) so a fairly significant chunk of the data was anonymous to start with.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Wearing a mask in any situation (unless you are personally providing me care for my COVID infection in the ER) is a personal affront to my understanding of the US Constitution.

What do you think?

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

It's worth pointing out that our immunisation register has existed for a long time and primarily been used to record and verify childhood vaccinations. Had it not already existed, we might not have an easy verification method now.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Bad Purchase posted:

not sure how practical that is, though, since i doubt that data has been tracked well and relying on the honor system obviously won't work because people like my parents exist, who claim they had COVID in 2019 with no evidence.

Beyond the part where vaccination offers much better (and broader) protection on top of infection, do you see the obvious, obvious problem with telling a country full of propaganda-guzzling assholes convinced that the deadly vaccine is full of 5g commie microchips that they can either get vaccinated or catch COVID?

E: Here's some pretty solid (finally published) evidence that vaccination after infection offers much better protection than infection alone, or even two-dose vax alone (it's basically like boosted two-dose). Infection alone is 73% effective v infection over the study period vs 82% for two-dose Pfizer. Prior infection + Pfizer is closer to 90%.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Nov 4, 2021

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Smeef posted:

does clay have the same amazing health benefits if taken as a suppository? asking for a friend

IIRC the “Kao " in Kaopectate is kaolin clay, so it should work.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Stickman posted:

Beyond the part where vaccination offers much better (and broader) protection on top of infection, do you see the obvious, obvious problem with telling a country full of propaganda-guzzling assholes convinced that the deadly vaccine is full of 5g commie microchips that they can either get vaccinated or catch COVID?

Your example is bad because those people aren't going to get vaccinated anyway. If they do anything, it will be forging a vaccination card or claiming a religious exemption. You'd be better off trying to convince me by talking about "vaccine hesitant" people who aren't full blown conspiracy theorists but just don't want to sign up for a vaccine that's barely out of the trial phase. They might cave if it comes down to getting vaccinated or losing their jobs. I know some people in that category IRL, and none of them are dumb enough to go out of their way to catch COVID, so I'm not sure what you're implying would happen in that group either. Of the few unvaxxed I know, I'm pretty sure if given the choice to get vaccinated, purposely catch covid, or lose their job, all but one would pick the first option and one would pick the third.

But anyway, I'm not that concerned with speculating how cultists or fence sitters might act, I'm mostly interested in two things. 1) how much protection a prior infection provides and 2) whether it would be practical to track infection status similarly to vaccination status.

Your other point speaks to #1, and even though you might disagree, I think it works in favor of prior infections.

Stickman posted:

E: Here's some pretty solid (finally published) evidence that vaccination after infection offers much better protection than infection alone, or even two-dose vax alone (it's basically like boosted two-dose). Infection alone is 73% effective v infection over the study period vs 82% for two-dose Pfizer. Prior infection + Pfizer is closer to 90%.

The difference between 73% protection and 82% protection is not nothing, but both are pretty good. That 73% is probably higher than the single dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine that also qualifies as fully vaccinated in the US.

Earlier I cited a CDC page which has a meta analysis of 7 large (>10,000 participants) studies looking at the protective effect of prior infections. Their conclusion does not rank prior infection or vaccination as better or worse than the other. Both are good but not perfect. The only conclusion they have reached so far is that there is good evidence that catching COVID and then getting vaccinated provides the strongest protection.

I really think where the idea falters is #2, because I doubt we have reliable records of who was infected when, and because of the 5g microchip crowd, you obviously can't take people's word for it. I know Israel is (or was when they were using it) counting recent prior infections in their vaccine passport system. I'm kinda curious how that worked out, but I think it's too late to start doing that in the US.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Lol, COVID parties it is!

E: If we're making mandates, there's zero reason to settle for subpar protection that hurts our chances of reaching levels of protection that actually reduce attack rates. There's zero reason for single-dose J&J to be acceptable for mandated vaccination and there's zero reason for prior infection to acceptable. There's also zero reason not to mandate boosters so long as we're plowing ahead with "vaccine is enough" as our national strategy.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Nov 4, 2021

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Stickman posted:

Lol, COVID parties it is!

I'm curious how much overlap you think there is in the group of people who went to COVID parties and the group of people who are fully vaccinated. I'll tell you my guess -- it's negligible, probably single digit percent.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Bad Purchase posted:

I'm curious how much overlap you think there is in the group of people who went to COVID parties and the group of people who are fully vaccinated. I'll tell you my guess -- it's negligible, probably single digit percent.

The number of people who would choose "natural" infection over vaccination if it allowed them to participate in jobs/events/etc. is definitely not negligible. They might not all go to COVID parties, but there's plenty who would continue being their lovely selves until they are invariably infected.

E: And from a public health perspective, I guarantee you that refusal to vaccinate is going to be highly, highly correlated with reinfection as that sub-par protection wanes. Again, there's zero reason to promote disease as an acceptable alternative to vaccination, especially when vaccination is already under massive attack by propaganda.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Nov 4, 2021

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I like how they clearly don't believe their own BS. If you really believed eating clay would remove heavy metals and "negative isotopes" you'd get the vaccine and then go home and eat a load of clay to remove all the toxins. You'd have the card saying you are vaxxed, and nobody would no you'd secretly un-vaxxed yourself with magical african clay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Stickman posted:

The number of people who would choose "natural" infection over vaccination if it allowed them to participate in jobs/events/etc. is definitely not negligible. They might not all go to COVID parties, but there's plenty who would continue being their lovely selves until they are invariably infected.

OK, are you backpedalling here? I thought you were implying that people who right now have neither had COVID nor a vaccination would go out of their way to catch COVID rather than get a vaccine to meet the requirement of a hypothetical mandate that allowed either and they had to choose one or the other right now to keep their job:

Stickman posted:

do you see the obvious, obvious problem with telling [people] that they can either get vaccinated or catch COVID?

Is that not what you were implying with the "get vaccinated or catch COVID"?