Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I am really curious though since Xander pulled out the fake idol and seemed to unwrap it before the advantage steal was announced. But Shannon also has an idol and should have known it was a fake one he was holding... (although I am sure you could maybe blame it on editing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I am really curious though since Xander pulled out the fake idol and seemed to unwrap it before the advantage steal was announced. But Shannon also has an idol and should have known it was a fake one he was holding... (although I am sure you could maybe blame it on editing)

If Shan had said "no thats a fake, I know what a real one looks like!", that might have been bad. If she did realize it was fake then she was smart to keep her mouth shut and have people use their idols/advantages. The last-minute idea to split the vote to flush out the idol was very smart even though didn't ultimately work that way. But I honestly think she just wasn't considering the possibility of a fake idol.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Brass posted:

If Shan had said "no thats a fake, I know what a real one looks like!", that might have been bad. If she did realize it was fake then she was smart to keep her mouth shut and have people use their idols/advantages. The last-minute idea to split the vote to flush out the idol was very smart even though didn't ultimately work that way. But I honestly think she just wasn't considering the possibility of a fake idol.

Everyone (should) know Shan has the idol though. She is 1 of the 3 people to say the weird rear end phrase at Tribal council that activated the idols. The 3 idols in the game are pretty much public knowledge. Maybe it would be bad to announce that Shan and Liana were working together, but I am pretty sure the core alliance already has accepted that Liana is part of their alliance.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Erika not smashing the hourglass would have been worse than you-know-who giving away the immunity necklace imo, I’m glad she avoided that. Agree that Xander oversold the fake but not sure how much of that was in editing. No jury yet, huh? Interesting. I love gimmicks but hate advantage overload so I’m glad they haven’t found a ton of stuff post merge and there’s a couple things off the table now. Bitter Sydney is extremely funny. Good episode, if not the pure dry strategy I was hoping to get some of this season at some point.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I'll miss Sydney and her off the wall confessionals but her parting message was wonderful.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
There's no reason to be sure that all the beware idols would look the same

Suspicious, maybe

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Brass posted:

WOWWW WHAT A SURVIVOR MOMENT, CANT BELIEVE SHE MADE THAT CHOICE!! TOP 10 SURVIVOR MOMENT OF ALL TIME, EPIC BLINDSIDE!!

anyways, Jeff explaining the gimmick to everyone, and seeing their faces as they realize what is happening, GAVE ME LIFE.

Very glad that they included Danny's very politely worded "gently caress this twist, since when does winning immunity not grant immunity" comment.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Brass posted:

Evie crying that a cis-white dude would stick his neck out for her when she admits she wouldn't have done the same... lol I'm loving this new woke survivor.

You know, based on her official contestant bio, I thought she would be absolutely insufferable. But unlike lots of other players, I haven’t seen her state that she’s basing her gameplay on racial or gender lines.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

TheCenturion posted:

You know, based on her official contestant bio, I thought she would be absolutely insufferable. But unlike lots of other players, I haven’t seen her state that she’s basing her gameplay on racial or gender lines.
She actually has said that since men get the credit at FTC, she wanted a women’s alliance. Part of why Voce/Xander were always the ones in jeopardy instead of Tiffany early on. She’s not wrong but I think you’re better off working with the best players for you in the here and now, and worrying about that kind of thing later. That was born out with Xander sticking by her with his idol, which also shows why voting out a very loyal number as punishment for having an item isn’t smart either. I do like Evvie and was glad to see her survive despite the reckless idol non-play.

Brass posted:

Also, can anyone please explain Liana's thought process on this?

Everyone knew Xander had an idol. Everyone also knew Liana had the Steal because XANDER told her own tribe mates, who reported it back to Liana.... so Liana knew that Xander knew about her Steal.
Liana and Xander are looking at each other knowing full well what the other is packing, but Liana is still playing it like nothing is wrong and she isn't going to blindside Xander, saying to him and Evie "we must protect her... what will you be doing with the Idol, Xander?" and he's very obviously like "Ohh don't worry, I've got it RIGHT HERE and I'll definitely have it with me at tribal council before I play it for Eevie, which I will 100% do tonight just in case someone votes for her."
Yeah, I feel like that was a lot of really bad play by Liana. She was extremely obviously flipped over to Shan, and then extremely obviously fishing about where the idol would be at TC. Her alliance should’ve been fully prepared for that advantage (which both Liana and Shan are responsible for revealing) to misfire with a backup play ready to go in advance. And that’s if they were going to insist on playing it in that direction at all. They should have used it on Naseer but I guess Danny and Deshaun liked him too much for that… but they’re already part of the big tribe going into this, and did anyone notice who he was huddling up with at first? Haha

This episode was very fun. And that was all possible because other players learned about Liana’s thing, otherwise it would’ve sucked. Instead it became like idol roulette x2 with a very successful bluff. Sydney was amusing but she only ever had exactly the one speed of “oh well whatever, I’m great.” Like that was fun but it seemed to be literally all she ever said.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

also this was like the 4th episode where the editors passive aggressively subtitled a player saying "guys." In this case it was in the original Yase tribe meeting where they literally only subtitled that one sentence.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fast Luck posted:

Yeah, I feel like that was a lot of really bad play by Liana. She was extremely obviously flipped over to Shan, and then extremely obviously fishing about where the idol would be at TC. Her alliance should’ve been fully prepared for that advantage (which both Liana and Shan are responsible for revealing) to misfire with a backup play ready to go in advance. And that’s if they were going to insist on playing it in that direction at all. They should have used it on Naseer but I guess Danny and Deshaun liked him too much for that… but they’re already part of the big tribe going into this, and did anyone notice who he was huddling up with at first? Haha

This episode was very fun. And that was all possible because other players learned about Liana’s thing, otherwise it would’ve sucked. Instead it became like idol roulette x2 with a very successful bluff. Sydney was amusing but she only ever had exactly the one speed of “oh well whatever, I’m great.” Like that was fun but it seemed to be literally all she ever said.

Liana thought she was still in with them and that they trusted her. All the showmanship was them exploiting that.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
interview with Sydney Segal
TVLINE | Can you share something from that night that didn’t make the edit?

Danny basically reamed Jeff out. He was like, “This isn’t a twist. This is a lie! You told us that if we won the challenge, we would get immunity,” and there was a long conversation about it. Jeff’s like, “OK, well maybe I can make it better for future seasons. What can I change?” I’m thinking like, “Really, bro?” I don’t want a change to go benefit someone else that I don’t f–king know because I don’t have empathy for them. What the hell do I care? This is about the now, and it’s about me getting f–ked over. That twist was intended to get a threatening player out, and I said during my pre-game interviews, in order to win Survivor, you can’t be the best at anything. So looking back, I was f–ked from the beginning because I’m the best at everything.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

The Bloop posted:

So looking back, I was f–ked from the beginning because I’m the best at everything.

:perfect:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I really want Sydney back on a future season she was hilarious

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

The Bloop posted:

Danny basically reamed Jeff out.

:swoon: Danny :swoon:

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Lmao Danny rules

IcePhoenix posted:

Liana thought she was still in with them and that they trusted her.
Yeah she did, like they don’t have eyes to see her off talking with Shan all the time or brains to interpret her asking “okay but will Xander actually have the idol on him?” Her thinking they could be so oblivious when they didn’t have a single doubt where her head was at is part of her brutal play. She even told Tiffany she could steal Xander’s idol! And then It’s public knowledge that Tiffany told Xander about the power. Oh well, all that happening was cool because it led to that stupid power being burned, which was good for TV and the game.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

good season so far.

ricard was weirdly quiet all episode.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Survivor S41: I was f–ked from the beginning because I’m the best at everything.

Mods?

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
Too bad she didn't make the jury. Seemed like a funny person that would have made some entertaining ponderosa videos after dropping the villain act.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The Bloop posted:

interview with Sydney Segal
TVLINE | Can you share something from that night that didn’t make the edit?

Danny basically reamed Jeff out. He was like, “This isn’t a twist. This is a lie! You told us that if we won the challenge, we would get immunity,” and there was a long conversation about it. Jeff’s like, “OK, well maybe I can make it better for future seasons. What can I change?” I’m thinking like, “Really, bro?” I don’t want a change to go benefit someone else that I don’t f–king know because I don’t have empathy for them. What the hell do I care? This is about the now, and it’s about me getting f–ked over. That twist was intended to get a threatening player out, and I said during my pre-game interviews, in order to win Survivor, you can’t be the best at anything. So looking back, I was f–ked from the beginning because I’m the best at everything.

jeff not understanding why someone winning immunity wouldn't like to have their immunity arbitrarily flipped like..? how many times have you yourself said specifically how much people covet an immunity necklace or immunity itself?

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Genuinely loving done with the whisper chaos. Y'all got played and didn't have a plan for your side's fuckup, that's on you. Next season they should lose their vote if they stand up before Jeff tells them to.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm torn on it. I love when there's some goober flipping between groups and when presumably they are still hearing some of the whispers. On the other hand, often there's a lot of whispering and they just do exactly what their plans were from before tribal and that's a waste of time imo. I think it'd be probably more entertaining if they needed to have those discussions aloud, lay their loyalties out, argue, get defensive, all the classic juicy tribal fighting.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Really enjoyed this episode. Xander pulled it off well. Liana blew it. Didn't help that she put her eggs in Shan's basket who then proceeded to bring it up in front of Tiffany, who then told Evvie and Xander. But I loved that whole tribal.

I didn't see anyone mention this yet but Deshaun was holding two votes during the credits so I guess he also blew his extra vote trying to get Evvie out.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Boomer opinion alert:

i think whispering at TC is complete bullshit and the point is you’re supposed to have your plan and backups configured before you get there and if you have to figure poo poo out publicly or talk in code or something that should be on you

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Apologies if I missed this while skimming the thread to catch up after I watched the episode but did nobody else notice that Deshawn wasted his double vote?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Sighence posted:

Genuinely loving done with the whisper chaos. Y'all got played and didn't have a plan for your side's fuckup, that's on you. Next season they should lose their vote if they stand up before Jeff tells them to.

Same. It was funny the first time (a few seasons ago now?), and for the rest of that season yeah ok. I'm over it.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed this episode, but I did a big eyeroll when they jumped out of their seats.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

IcePhoenix posted:

Apologies if I missed this while skimming the thread to catch up after I watched the episode but did nobody else notice that Deshawn wasted his double vote?

With this many idols and advantages flying around, it barely even registers.

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

I was gonna say you're wrong but I forgot Syd wasted her vote. She was pissed when leaving that she shouldn't played done shot in the dark (anyone could have said that) but actually she kind of did if Deshawn hadn't played his double vote. It ended up being 3-4-5, that would be 3-4-4 with Deshawn not playing double, and 4-4-4 if Syd hadn't done shot in the dark.

Basically they could have gotten Evvie out tonight but I'm glad they hosed that up. I want more Evvie.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Wow.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Man the poo poo that I'm expecting to come out about this season once it's all done is going to be blazing hot.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I want to know why Sydney seemed to hate Heather. She made one mean comment about her that was completely random and we got no explanation beyond Sydney just being like that, which is tbh kinda enough.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Metis of the Hallways posted:

I want to know why Sydney seemed to hate Heather. She made one mean comment about her that was completely random and we got no explanation beyond Sydney just being like that, which is tbh kinda enough.

From EW's interview:

quote:

Why do you say "no comment" on Heather?

Because we are not friends.

Why are you not friends?

Because she was very holier-than-thou, I would say. She's just such a know-it-all. You can't say anything without her [making] the conversation about herself. I would say, like, "Oh, pretty rock." She'd be like, "Oh, that rock reminds me of the rock me and Bubba used to go fishing on." I'm like, "Okay, well, Bubba would be really upset right now because every time you cast the f---ing reel, you come back with f---ing nothing." Or you say "toothpick," And it's like, "Oh my husband, Jay, he's an ophthalmologist. And he says if you stab a guy with a toothpick you're going to go blind." So I'm just like, "I wanna go f---ing kill myself."

But I'll take 50 percent… no, absolutely not, 20 percent of the blame for that failed relationship. Because I'm like, "Oh, a mother, I want to curate a relationship where it's like, 'Oh, give me advice, tell me this.'" I want kids. I've wanted kids ever since I got my f---ing period. So I'm like, "This is great." So then I think that gave her the agency to feel like it was okay to kind of mother me and give me life advice. But I think a lot of the times it was disparaging.

She would say things like, "Oh, my parents would have never let me do what your parents do." Don't come at my parents. Come on. Maybe because I'm way more f---ing mature then you ever f---ing were. You're like a 52-year-old child. Or where I'm saying I would want kids and she's like, "Oh, you know, being an older parent made me a better mother." I'm like, "Okay, congrats. But I want kids younger." My dad always says it's not what you say, it's how you say it.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

lmao, thank you so much

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Are we sure this Heather person's name isn't actually Kelly?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Are we sure this Heather person's name isn't actually Kelly?

My wife noticed the total lack of anyone talking to her at tribal and then I realized neither of us could remember her name.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

There's a bunch of memes on reddit about how absolutely invisible she's been too.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Great episode. This season has really turned it on.

The Liana stuff is interesting. We're obviously seeing a heavy-handed edit that no doubt colors things, but it's still just so hard to imagine she was getting any mileage whatsoever with her "Yase Strong" act. Like people -must- have noticed her new BFF vibes with Shan, right? She struck me as super transparent. Maybe it was the edit, but maybe not.

I wonder if there was much thought given to asking Tiffany for the idol? In any case, I feel like you absolutely have to assume Xander -does not- have the idol in that situation (and him flouting the necklace should have confirmed this...a cool move for sure, but a classic Survivor bait-and-switch that I'm surprised nobody caught onto). But then how do you decide between Evvie and Tiffany? Tough. I think you just hold onto the advantage in that situation, shore up Sydney as an ally and split the votes between Evvie/Xander. I don't really understand Sydney being the target. She would have voted with them for sure had they put in the recruiting effort.

Tiffany is low-key playing one of the better games. People were coming to her with information despite it being obvious to the audience how rock solid she was with Evvie and Xander. I think she has a subtle rapport with Naseer, and it's something that will come into play.

Aside from her, Deshaun and Shan are killing it and might have the season in the bag between them. Ricard's a huge competitor but he comes off too strong and is going to get backstabbed at some point. Feels like Liana's game is botched and she has a ticket to the finals etched in stone as somebody's goat. Evvie/Xander/Tiffany is a fun, competent minority alliance and one of them will probably wriggle through and be a finals threat.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Vernacular posted:

I don't really understand Sydney being the target. She would have voted with them for sure had they put in the recruiting effort.

Xander and Tiff were both immune, Deshawn and Danny were together in the PoC alliance, and they knew Naseer also had an idol. There was literally no other option for them.

They should have done the split the other way IMO to force the idol to be played on Evie for her to stay in the game, but maybe they were afraid of double votes.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Nov 5, 2021

Fallen One
May 1, 2007

" Whoa! Death? He's come for me!... Death is sleeping too..."

Vernacular posted:

But then how do you decide between Evvie and Tiffany? Tough. I think you just hold onto the advantage in that situation, shore up Sydney as an ally and split the votes between Evvie/Xander. I don't really understand Sydney being the target. She would have voted with them for sure had they put in the recruiting effort.

Xander was in the immune group after Erika broke the hourglass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Yep, there's a lot of what ifs from the tribal that could come up if more than 5 people were eligible to be voted for... Luckily I was able to ninja edit my post wondering why the 8 player alliance just didn't split their votes last night :lol: