Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

After I think about it some more, I think it's 12 for E4 and 16 for E5. E6 is at 20.

I know there’s one guy I work with who was in for 14 and HYT as E5 and he got out like five years ago, I wanna say? I also vaguely remember the HYT years went up two years each back in 2018/19?

After working with him the last two days I can say the Navy made the right decision for once not to retain or do any workarounds to keep him in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
E6 HYT is 22, or at least it is in the reserves.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

King of Bees posted:

gently caress i remember the 20 year E5s getting ready to retire in the early aughts. They were so calm and beatific. If i also remember right back then it was next to impossible to rank up in the air force so 20y 5s were fairly common.

I think it was instituted in 2008.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/USNHistory/status/1455874905346646018?t=01ffUfz6llNt-m5qixGMig&s=19

Bring back airships. Can use them for long range surveillance, ASW, and murdering the upper class through accidents

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/USNHistory/status/1455874905346646018?t=01ffUfz6llNt-m5qixGMig&s=19

Bring back airships. Can use them for long range surveillance, ASW, and murdering the upper class through accidents

Aren’t we running low on helium with no way to replace reserves?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Lost in the crash were all the admirals who championed naval airships at the time. Woopsy.

Hekk posted:

Sorta kinda but not really but also yes. However, when has that stopped the MIC?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Hekk posted:

there are alternatives :supaburn:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

shame on an IGA posted:

there are alternatives :supaburn:

That would enhance its ability to kill fancy 1930s people.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

King of Bees posted:

gently caress i remember the 20 year E5s getting ready to retire in the early aughts. They were so calm and beatific. If i also remember right back then it was next to impossible to rank up in the air force so 20y 5s were fairly common.

One of the strangest things I saw on a ship when I visit the USS BRISCOE as a little JRAT in high school was an E4 with these giant fuckoff insignia on his collar and wondering what the hell golden chevrons meant. :allears:

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

FrozenVent posted:

Sorta kinda but not really but also yes.

This.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

7th fleet just relieved the entire Triad, Nav, and Anav, citing a "degradation in standards that led to the collision."

This is going to be fun.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
for an 'unmapped' seamount

c'mon navy you can make up better phrasing for firing the top guys

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

There's some material issues and watchstanding poo poo that played a role, I've been gag ordered pretty hard about specific events.

Everyone above them is just as complicit in that though, there's some definite scapegoating going on.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
If you dig hard enough you can always find some sort of problem. The navy relies on that to be able to fire captains.

And as someone who went through a JAG investigation that had the entire crew questioned I understand about the gag.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

ded posted:

for an 'unmapped' seamount

c'mon navy you can make up better phrasing for firing the top guys

Something something pour encourager les autres.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

We got briefed on it by the new CO today.

These excerpts from the CNN article sum it up pretty well.

CNN posted:

Vice Adm. Karl Thomas, commander of US 7th Fleet, determined that "sound judgment, prudent decision-making and adherence to required procedures in navigation planning, watch team execution and risk management could have prevented the incident," according to a statement about the decision.

CNN posted:

In the busy South China Sea... less than 50% of the sea bottom has been mapped, David Sandwell, a professor of geophysics at Scripps Institution of Oceanography in California, told CNN.

Additionally, the old CO had this bizarre obsession with his shipping container theory, which is idiotic, a shipping container can't do to an 8,000 ton warship what happened. He went so far as to rant about it to me when I went to turn over with him after I relieved the section that was on watch for The Incident.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Elviscat posted:

Additionally, the old CO had this bizarre obsession with his shipping container theory, which is idiotic, a shipping container can't do to an 8,000 ton warship what happened. He went so far as to rant about it to me when I went to turn over with him after I relieved the section that was on watch for The Incident.

Lol

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Yeah the pictures I’ve seen of the damage don’t match up with a shipping container, unless the sonar dome on a seawolf are made of paper.

Your average car will total a shipping container, they’re not super strong stuff.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Elviscat posted:

Was he constantly fiddling with a pair of steel balls when you talked to him?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Was he constantly fiddling with a pair of steel balls when you talked to him?

:golfclap:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
He could be right. It could be a mountain of shipping containers.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

ded posted:

:perfect:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ded posted:

With smaller shipping containers inside the shipping containers.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The shipping containers are full of garfield phones

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Anita Dickinme posted:

With smaller shipping containers inside the shipping containers.

Who's famous for making a series of things that nest together like that?

:tinfoil:

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
Have some idiot at Bangor getting himself fired via clearance revocation:

https://www.kitsapsun.com/story/news/2021/11/04/bangor-worker-suspended-job-over-facebook-post/6238978001/

There was another guy from PSNS a couple weeks back, but they just quietly stuffed him in a corner because all he did was go to a protest.

Big rumors that a lot of people are actually going to quit or get fired over it and then gently caress off to chud country, but we’ll see

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I’m shocked. Shocked, I say, that this guy lost his clearance.

quote:

He said instead, "we need to fight back, but with smarter, more effective means," including "guerilla-style methods of resistance." But Miller said he wasn't referring to using violent means.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Oh no, without all the idiot chuds bitching about the vaccine at the smoke pit how will we maintain submarines?

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Elviscat posted:

Oh no, without all the idiot chuds bitching about the vaccine at the smoke pit how will we maintain submarines?

Spoiler alert this is the upper management perspective and it’s hilarious to watch the knives come out when a chud surfaces in upper management just to end up on the receiving end of an alpha-strike of “good, leave”

There was a ton of bitching recently because Adm Galinis basically said chuds can gently caress off in an all navsea email and the high pitched keening emanating from the chud compartments was impressive

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
We had to write up an explanation of the impact of kicking out all of our vaccine refusers, and the sum total was basically "one LPO with some moderately useful quals, otherwise no big deal".

I did have one guy who had been refusing the shot magically produce a completed vaccination card yesterday when presented with an "I'm about to get hosed" Pg 13, which is absolutely the kind of stupid sailor games I was expecting someone to play.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

On the civ service side the chud Union is predicting ~30% of their folks, and the chud-lite engineer union is saying ~23% of theirs.

Those numbers seem hilariously high but our overall vax numbers really haven’t moved since May or whenever they finished up the big shotex push, and people have surprisingly held to their line on it so who knows

Hope ur all looking forward to even more deferred maint and mod packages lol because like the billboard says: on time every time*

*just don’t look at what got deferred please

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I’m still confused on what jobs these idiots think they are gonna get that are even a quarter of the pay for the same amount of work/effort.

gently caress at this rate I should start looking at going fed if there’s gonna me so much movement around.

We are “losing” one idiot in a department who has a 72k job for effectively doing a 30k job due to clearances. It’s nuts. He thinks he’s gonna go to Texas and get a similar job in the… Texas militia?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I just got to tell two different reservists to just stop showing up for drill.

They were saying they're not going to get the shot. I told them that they need the shot to stay in the Navy, full stop. "But I'm only showing up here until December when they process everyone." Ok, sez I, just quit showing up. Get your 9 UAs, and ADSEP out. Done deal.

I have no more sympathy in any way for these people. And if they don't show up, they don't get paid, so double-win.

Honestly, reading the NAVADMIN, getting ADSEP for 9 Us is probably a softer ADSEP than a COVID refuser. A belligerent refuser can get an OTH discharge.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
We told our anti vaxxer reservists the same thing. Only one took us up on it though.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Most job postings I see this way have vaccines requirements right on them.

Had an issue recently because a pilot boat operator was a vaccine refuser. Flew the pilot to another port and deviated the ship to get around the rear end in a top hat.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I got a dude I work with who hasn't gotten the jab, I asked him what his plan is, and he said NEET. I was loving incredulous, you're going to replace a 100k a year job with loving nothing? You can't collect unemployment if you don't get jabbed I am pretty sure. Did you ask your wife about this? Good loving lord where the gently caress do you think you're going to work, and how long do you think you'll be able to crash on someone's couch? Everywhere is going to get mandated if they're more than 100 employees.

Brilliant dude but fucks sake torpedoing his job over a shot. He's not a Trumper, hates trump and maga just a loving idiot sometimes.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 6, 2021

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

orange juche posted:

I got a dude I work with who hasn't gotten the jab, I asked him what his plan is, and he said NEET. I was loving incredulous, you're going to replace a 100k a year job with loving nothing? You can't collect unemployment if you don't get jabbed I am pretty sure. Did you ask your wife about this? Good loving lord where the gently caress do you think you're going to work, and how long do you think you'll be able to crash on someone's couch? Everywhere is going to get mandated if they're more than 100 employees.

Brilliant dude but fucks sake torpedoing his job to own da libz.

I have an old-payscale Operations Manager (so, guesstimate ~$180k/yr gross after locality and everything) who seems to be convinced that they’re going to be able to pick up a similar salary in the private sector (where no one is hiring without proof of vaccination.)

:byewhore:

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

krispykremessuck posted:

On the civ service side the chud Union is predicting ~30% of their folks, and the chud-lite engineer union is saying ~23% of theirs.

Those numbers seem hilariously high but our overall vax numbers really haven’t moved since May or whenever they finished up the big shotex push, and people have surprisingly held to their line on it so who knows

Hope ur all looking forward to even more deferred maint and mod packages lol because like the billboard says: on time every time*

*just don’t look at what got deferred please

Haven't talked to my union officials cause they are pretty worthless but the REO on my last ship fully intended on following through with not getting a shot. Acted like he had some magical way around it when I asked what he was going to do 10/1. This was with two cases onboard.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

MrYenko posted:

I have an old-payscale Operations Manager (so, guesstimate ~$180k/yr gross after locality and everything) who seems to be convinced that they’re going to be able to pick up a similar salary in the private sector (where no one is hiring without proof of vaccination.)

:byewhore:

If my guy quits over this, I'm 99% sure a "card" will materialize for his next job, assuming it's not for uncle sam.

So loving stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I've been at sea for 69 days.