Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Powershift posted:

Be still my beating heart.

I mean, electric crates are great, I just want to be able to buy the whole drivetrain, battery modules, charge controllers, plugs and inverters as a whole kit. I hope Ford performance stays doing something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I think a lot of Rev-hesitancy is because modern cars have basically muted the fun sounds of a car (the exhaust note) and all you can actually hear at high RPMs is the sound of the engine.

I just took a lovely sports exhaust off my evo and put on a Ralliart one which is the same flow for less noise/rattles, and once you're over 4K it sounds like you're stirring a bucket of nails. with the lovely exhaust on, at least it had the roar of a poorly made 3" cat back system to drown that out (and at certain engine speeds, completely cancel out the ability to hear your own voice in the rear seats)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
There was an EE video looking into the Italian tune up. As I remember, while the principle is right, you'll probably never get the temperatures needed to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C9Ie4BcYew

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

the italian tune up is not maintenance for your engine, it is maintenance for your soul

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Kunabomber posted:

Why are there bucket seats.

Couldn't they just keep the original column shifter and have a little Arduino or w/e send the signals for drive and reverse

Same controller could drive the existing gauges

It's a SEMA build so they just threw the Mach-E interior in there

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Godzilla07 posted:

It's a SEMA build so they just threw the Mach-E interior in there

Yeah, it's an exercise in "look what we can do with all our cool OEM parts" not "build the perfect classic with fifty bucks in homebrew electronics".

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Sorry for the TMZ link, but I hope more inevitable accidents from faster cars available at cheaper prices will not have a chilling effect on innovation from automakers. There are going to be casualties from idiots for sure though.

https://www.tmz.com/2021/11/03/henry-ruggs-iii-mug-shot-las-vegas-raiders-dui-arrest/

Looks to be a new C8 Corvette. It crashed into a Toyota, 127MPH at time of impact, but the injuries on the dude look like what I'm used to seeing from maybe 40MPH crashes. The person on the other end was not so lucky.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Inner Light posted:

Sorry for the TMZ link, but I hope more inevitable accidents from faster cars available at cheaper prices will not have a chilling effect on innovation from automakers. There are going to be casualties from idiots for sure though.

https://www.tmz.com/2021/11/03/henry-ruggs-iii-mug-shot-las-vegas-raiders-dui-arrest/

Looks to be a new C8 Corvette. It crashed into a Toyota, 127MPH at time of impact, but the injuries on the dude look like what I'm used to seeing from maybe 40MPH crashes. The person on the other end was not so lucky.

Honesty this is a big worry with EV’s. It’s pretty trivial to build them with insane acceleration that is deceptively quiet and drama free which makes it very easy for the car to get away from you. Not necessarily out of control, just suddenly you are going too fast to stop in time.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Has anyone done the math with the Plaid? I'm guessing it is really close 0-60 quicker vs 60-0 🤔

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
Didn't some moron just recently launch his Plaid into a second floor bedroom and murder two people

dk2m
May 6, 2009
It’s gotten to the point where if I see a Tesla behind me on a mountain road (Nor Cal so Teslas are as common as Hondas), I immediately slow down.

People already drive way too fast on them here and then giving people access to a car that is ridiculously over-powered is pretty scary.

I was doing some spirited driving and was easing off the throttle on a long sweeper and I saw a Tesla behind me go into snap oversteer because the guy panicked and braked mid turn. Way too many non-experienced drivers now in cars that can take on super cars in speed. No thank you, I will not encourage that poo poo.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

dk2m posted:

It’s gotten to the point where if I see a Tesla behind me on a mountain road (Nor Cal so Teslas are as common as Hondas), I immediately slow down.

People already drive way too fast on them here and then giving people access to a car that is ridiculously over-powered is pretty scary.

I was doing some spirited driving and was easing off the throttle on a long sweeper and I saw a Tesla behind me go into snap oversteer because the guy panicked and braked mid turn. Way too many non-experienced drivers now in cars that can take on super cars in speed. No thank you, I will not encourage that poo poo.

The best move there as you're probably aware is to pull over on a vista and let them pass, once one is available. Hopefully they give you a little toot toot when they pass. That's the Matt Farah style.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Kudos to Mazda for building a strong crash structure that also looks good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHfJR7dBgu0&ab_channel=IIHS

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 3, 2021

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I saw that! Volvo received an "acceptable" rating in this test, which is a big disappointment to see from the big V. I hope they can learn from the mistakes to make their product safer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXmkZZnoQl4

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

One of the things that impressed me with the new Mach-E is the crash tests. Compare the intactness of the cabin to the Model 3 (I don't think IIHS has tested the Y yet but it seems based on the euro crash test I saw the Y is unlikely to do better):

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
To be clear, this is an updated version of the IIHS test that is faster / has a heavier and different "barrier" that is more realistic to crash conditions today.

I don't see that they've tested any EVs yet with this new test. Here is a list.
https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/small-suvs-struggle-in-new-tougher-side-test

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 3, 2021

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Jesus the distortion in the Tesla's monocoque :stare:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
This is why footwell wheel anti-intrusion bars are a thing in race cars :v:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Charles posted:

To be clear, this is an updated version of the IIHS test that is faster / has a heavier and different "barrier" that is more realistic to crash conditions today.

I don't see that they've tested any EVs yet with this new test. Here is a list.
https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/small-suvs-struggle-in-new-tougher-side-test

Sure but the new test is side impact, the ones I posted are small overlap frontal which they haven't changed their methodology to my knowledge.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

I’m okay with Teslas being unsafe in a way that I am not okay with Hondas and the like being unsafe.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

bird with big dick posted:

One of the things that impressed me with the new Mach-E is the crash tests. Compare the intactness of the cabin to the Model 3 (I don't think IIHS has tested the Y yet but it seems based on the euro crash test I saw the Y is unlikely to do better):

The other thing about the frontal tests (but not the side impact) is that they're simulating a collision with a vehicle of the same weight and the 3 MR only weighs like 3700 pounds whereas the Mach-E weighs 4800 or something. It probably makes less difference in the small overlap (since you glance off to the side a lot) than it does in the moderate overlap, but still...

I'm not a crash test guru or anything so maybe there's stuff I'm not considering but I really think the Mach-E and vehicles similar to it (e-tron, Polestar 2, etc) are probably some of the safest vehicles on the road. They're heavy as gently caress, which is advantageous in a lot of crash scenarios. But unlike a lot of vehicles that are heavy as gently caress, they have a relatively low CG so you don't have the rollover risk of a big truck or SUV. And they have better scrumple zone action compared to a body on frame vehicle. Better handling.

Just gotta make sure you scramble out before the battery catches on fire.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

bird with big dick posted:

Sure but the new test is side impact, the ones I posted are small overlap frontal which they haven't changed their methodology to my knowledge.

Yeah I see now. I was more replying to the Honda & Mazda and didn't look at yours too carefully. The Tesla still got a good score so I guess they didn't think that posed a good risk of injury.

Of all the EVs that I could afford, I got the Kia Soul because it has a good rating (driver's side at least) for the small overlap and kind of looks better than the Tesla, at least from the pic. It's not as good as the Ford though.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Let's not even talk about the moose test.

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
cadillac lacks any convertibles in their 2021 line up lol

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

GM you cowards, build the retractable hardtop convertible escalade

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

You can probably get a Murano Cabriolet as a cheap alternative lmao

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
I didn't go for the moonroof option on the Maverick and I second guess that every other day

Then I remember how a moonroof is when it's 100F+ here in Texas

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Inner Light posted:

This was updated to be 127mph _when the airbags deployed_ and reported as 156 mph seconds before the crash. his bac was .161

It's actually astonishing that car didnt turn into scrap. 156! That's like a head on going 70. The results of the crash are horrific of course.

adaz fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 4, 2021

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

adaz posted:

This was updated to be 127mph _when the airbags deployed_ and reported as 156 mph seconds before the crash. his bac was .161

It's actually astonishing that car didnt turn into scrap. 156! That's like a head on going 70. The results of the crash are horrific of course.

I know man crazy, the Corvette was totaled of course but the crash worthiness was a complete engineering marvel. The passenger compartment looked almost completely intact without intrusion. He didn’t deserve the benefit of that! Modern cars are insanely safe in frontal collisions. The RAV4 didn’t stand a chance from the rear I guess sadly.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

i own every Bionicle posted:

Honesty this is a big worry with EV’s. It’s pretty trivial to build them with insane acceleration that is deceptively quiet and drama free which makes it very easy for the car to get away from you. Not necessarily out of control, just suddenly you are going too fast to stop in time.

Speaking of fast EVs and a lack of braking performance...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn9QWjxFPKM

adaz posted:

This is one of those crashes where I half expect GM to buy up what's left of the car from salvage for crash research data.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

McTinkerson posted:

FCA are once again being total dicks by teasing us with something we can never have.
https://www.motortrend.com/events/dodge-challenger-holy-guacamole-sema-concept-photos-details/

You could have that just not from the factory

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

adaz posted:

He is incredibly, profoundly hosed.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Inner Light posted:

I know man crazy, the Corvette was totaled of course but the crash worthiness was a complete engineering marvel. The passenger compartment looked almost completely intact without intrusion. He didn’t deserve the benefit of that! Modern cars are insanely safe in frontal collisions. The RAV4 didn’t stand a chance from the rear I guess sadly.

People on the scene said she survived the impact but was pinned in and they couldn’t get her out as it caught on fire. So even worse.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

fknlo posted:

People on the scene said she survived the impact but was pinned in and they couldn’t get her out as it caught on fire. So even worse.
Yeah, the witness reports said she was screaming "for a bit" while the car was ablaze. :(

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Jesus Christ I did not need to know about that guys :nms: that poo poo

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

There will be no justice.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I’m obsessed with the lucid. Are we getting any in the uk does anyone know?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Wheeee posted:

There will be no justice.

The US legal system assumes that all wrongs can be resolved with cash. He will be sued in civil court by the next of kin and have to pay out as he is obviously responsible for her death.

So, in that sense this is the justice system we seem to have settled on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

In America you can kill anyone you want with your car, especially if they are a pedestrian or cyclist and most times not even get a ticket.