Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

SlowBloke posted:

Snipping tool is the “legacy one” while snip and sketch is the “current one” . Snipping tool has not been removed to avoid legacy apps crapping out if the old exe was missing.

Nope. With Windows 11 Snipping tool is the current one (new icons and updated looks) and snip and sketch is discontinued.
https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2021/08/12/first-set-of-windows-app-updates-rolling-out-to-windows-insiders-for-windows-11/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
oh man i had just bought startallback and was about to try 11 again, thanks for reminding me they hosed up snipping tool too. i use that a ton for comic panels

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

MikusR posted:

Nope. With Windows 11 Snipping tool is the current one (new icons and updated looks) and snip and sketch is discontinued.
https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2021/08/12/first-set-of-windows-app-updates-rolling-out-to-windows-insiders-for-windows-11/

Actually, I just ran the snipping tool on my Win 11 test rig. It works as expected... ?!!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

CoolCab posted:

this question legit is not intended as a troll (even though it might read that way, apologies):

what is the killer feature that motivated you to move to windows 11. what is the particular unique functionality that might incentivize me to upgrade and stomach the UI changes? what is the thing that you can only do on 11 but cannot on 10 and very specifically, right now, not a future announced functionality.

Unless you want to be annoyed by new bugs, there's no reason at this point in time

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
why'd they call it windows 11? reminds me of that tragedy

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Voxx posted:

https://gizmodo.com/wingdings-predicted-9-11-a-truthers-tale-1679759324

Right?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

they called it windows 11 because when you see it you'll turn 11 degrees and walk away

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Should have called it Windows 9 and claimed that they just forgot to use that number.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Should have called it Windows 9 and claimed that they just forgot to use that number.

Windows 9 never existed just based on the joke that the behind the scenes registry poo poo would identify it as windows 98 or 95.

That never happened but it seems plausible.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Voxx posted:

because of mac os 11

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
They called it Windows 11 because it's the 11th version of Windows.

Also, they should have called it Windows 10.11 for Workgroups.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

redeyes posted:

Actually, I just ran the snipping tool on my Win 11 test rig. It works as expected... ?!!

Works as on my machine(updated from 10) and my wife's(fresh install) also.

Both machines overall have been fine with 11 other than some of the UI changes.

The only tweak I've done on them is the registry edit to make the Right-Click menu in file explorer act like it used to without having to hit Show More Options.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
The settings/control panel stuff is better in W11 but I guess they had to cut the taskbar budget.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Windows 9 never existed just based on the joke that the behind the scenes registry poo poo would identify it as windows 98 or 95.

That never happened but it seems plausible.

It's because they were afraid it would bomb in Germany.

Windows? Nein!

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
This might not be a windows 11 thing. But I have speakers hooked up to the optical output of my MB (Asus X570-Plus) and I'm trying to add a subwoofer off the orange 3.5mm output.

Is this possible?

I seem to remember a setting screen where you could specify 2.1, 5.1, etc but I can't find it.

Edit. Hmm I found the setting and the sub fires when I click the test button, but I get no sub output when playing music...

Withnail fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Nov 3, 2021

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The only reason to upgrade to 11 right now is if you're tired of looking at 10.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

TOOT BOOT posted:

The only reason to upgrade to 11 right now is if you're tired of looking at 10.

Yeah. There is no reason to do it.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

It sucks, I want "new and shiny" but, make it better Microsoft...

Oculus acknowledged in the new release of the Oculus software; "For best performance on Link and Air Link, please use Windows 10. Windows 11 is not yet supported with our Oculus PC software." I guess it's not Microsoft's responsibility to make sure everything is unbroken, but at this point Windows 11 offers so little over Windows 10 and a lot of little annoyances (only having a clock on one display is kinda a big deal to me), if stuff is still broken what would even be the reason for me to update? Android apps? GUI apps in WSL2? This is all cool but breaking other things just to get that is a hard sell.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I loaded some programs in 11 and the stuff just shows up in the app list but no recently loaded programs area? I enjoyed that in 10.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Vic posted:

The settings/control panel stuff is better in W11 but I guess they had to cut the taskbar budget.

Not really, having to individually open every subsetting instead of being able to scroll down is very annoying when setting up a new system.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fame Douglas posted:

Not really, having to individually open every subsetting instead of being able to scroll down is very annoying when setting up a new system.

it's better for tablets though

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Fame Douglas posted:

And it's much nicer the other 99% of my life where I just need to toggle one setting without having to scroll past a novel.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

...yay :suicide:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the windows 10 settings panel buries a ton of poo poo behind subsetting menus that you have to open too though. at least the win11 version is clean

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Fame Douglas posted:

It's the other way around. Old windows settings was just a bunch of different windows, w7 - w10 was this hybrid XP style control panel mixed with the new control panel stretched over even more screens.

Now they consolidated everything and even added features. I mean check the network settings for example.

Had to do this via cmd line in win10:

This was a separate window called network adapters which dated back to win95 and you had to rclick-enable / rclick-disable:

The control panel in Win11 is completely new and I found everything instantly. It's really good but in that "about loving time" kinda way.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
They absolutely didn't consolidate everything, it's still a mess of old and new control panel.

And having everything in Bluetooth & devices, for example, broken out into separate items instead of a list I can quickly scroll through makes finding some settings way more annoying than it used to be in Windows 10.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

There's no perfect way of doing things that will work for everyone, but I'm personally happy with the way they've structured everything. It looks a thousand times better than the plain black and white of 10, and is less fiddly than the mishmash of separate windows and tabs of control panel, although they really need to let people open multiple instances of Settings, I don't know why they're so opposed to it.

Wish they'd port over device manager as well, that's the only major control panel section that I still use.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Vic posted:

The control panel in Win11 is completely new and I found everything instantly. It's really good but in that "about loving time" kinda way.

I haven't hosed around in there yet really the older I get and more I work, the less I want to gently caress around in any way with my own poo poo at home. But thats good to know.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Fame Douglas posted:

They absolutely didn't consolidate everything, it's still a mess of old and new control panel.

And having everything in Bluetooth & devices, for example, broken out into separate items instead of a list I can quickly scroll through makes finding some settings way more annoying than it used to be in Windows 10.

Got it, but that screen is still there if you click devices. Depends on the setup/workflow I guess, but in W10 you get this screen:

Which you lose as you get deeper into the menu and have to back-back-back out to like in a web browser, while in W11:

That's now a persistent left hand main menu. In Win 10 you get another bar on the RIGHT side of the screen with links to related settings that take you to different windows. Now it's just all in the list for you to scroll through.

Vic fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 3, 2021

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I've not had any problems with windows 11, and that includes weird hacky old dos games through dosbox and other assorted ancient games. Very odd not having any problems honestly

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Captain Yossarian posted:

I've not had any problems with windows 11, and that includes weird hacky old dos games through dosbox and other assorted ancient games. Very odd not having any problems honestly

Microsoft excels at keeping things compatible.

I don't notice I'm using Win11, it is weird but yeah I can launch MAME or rear end Creed Valhalla or Photoshop.

It just works.

Now I sound like I work for them.

It's a depressing place, still.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Vic posted:

Got it, but that screen is still there if you click devices. Depends on the setup/workflow I guess, but in W10 you get this screen:

Which you lose as you get deeper into the menu and have to back-back-back out to like in a web browser, while in W11:

That's now a persistent left hand main menu. In Win 10 you get another bar on the RIGHT side of the screen with links to related settings that take you to different windows. Now it's just all in the list for you to scroll through.

I’m still not much a fan of, if you go a level deeper on the right-hand menu, it’ll pop you out at the top of the menu when you go back. Made adjusting certain settings a chore.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
In order to turn on TPM the BIOS is telling me I need to disable "Legacy Option ROMs". Any reason that would be a bad idea? This is a Dell laptop.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Arivia posted:

Actually, is there anything else that's better for tablets too? It won't run on my Ivy Bridge desktop but the tablet is quite a bit newer

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Actually, is there anything else that's better for tablets too? It won't run on my Ivy Bridge desktop but the tablet is quite a bit newer

For x86 touch devices? No. You can play around with Wayland's touch support on Linux or custom kernels based on your device, but you will have a better time with Win 11 or 10.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rinkles posted:

In order to turn on TPM the BIOS is telling me I need to disable "Legacy Option ROMs". Any reason that would be a bad idea? This is a Dell laptop.

Not a bad idea, doesn't matter. It wants you to fully switch to UEFI boot, I assume.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Heran Bago posted:

For x86 touch devices? No. You can play around with Wayland's touch support on Linux or custom kernels based on your device, but you will have a better time with Win 11 or 10.

No I meant are there any other improvents vs 10 for win tablets :v:

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

No I meant are there any other improvents vs 10 for win tablets :v:

It's no longer possible to accidentally activate that terrible tablet mode, because it has been removed.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Fame Douglas posted:

It's no longer possible to accidentally activate that terrible tablet mode, because it has been removed.

Lol seems a bit extreme, it seemed nice for the occasions when I did use it touch-only

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

Lol seems a bit extreme, it seemed nice for the occasions when I did use it touch-only

They made it all into one mode now, so the OS reacts appropriately depending on input - touch keyboard when you tap a text field, larger touch targets when resizing Windows with pen/touch, etc - but otherwise it's one experience for every use case.

It's basically the reason we've got 11 in the first place, to take the big clunky desktop UI that never really worked great for touch and making it work for everything, including potential future use cases like AR and dual screen devices. You can really see the difference in low end devices or tablets, rotating the screen actually works smoothly instead of causing it to go into a blind panic for several seconds.

Hence why if you're on a traditional desktop there isn't a major need to upgrade yet.