Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

barky barktona of planet barky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BriskThankfulHypsilophodon-mobile.mp4

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

skeletors_condom posted:

Nah, Star Citizen is the perfect zeitgeist of the early 21st century/information age. Its for real, just a bunch of crazy backers getting conned.

Mind, you I don't think the typical spectrum/reddit SC fanboy gives a full picture of the nature of Star Citizen. You also have digital platforms (Youtube) where their business model is designed around facilitating fraud and false advertising (and this is the least of their evils).

The Scam Anniversary is running from Nov 19th to Nov 26th:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/18377-Countdown-To-IAE#iae-schedule

Place your bet on many dollars "worth" of JPEGs they will sell during the scam anniversary!

If there is interest, I will throw down 2 good space games and 1 city-builder game I really like.

14.3M

Peak whale oil is here

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
These loving morons

quote:

CIG have shown in the past that they're perfectly fine with implementing features that work well in a closed environment but barely work on a server. Almost every AI change they've made has been barely functional with heavy server load.

And that's fine IMO, the feature is there ready for when the servers are working better, but just don't take this as an indication of server improvements either.

Also, :lol:

quote:

"Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me, fool me seven times and buy an Idris"

trucutru fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Nov 4, 2021

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

skeletors_condom posted:

Nah, Star Citizen is the perfect zeitgeist of the early 21st century/information age. Its for real, just a bunch of crazy backers getting conned.

Mind, you I don't think the typical spectrum/reddit SC fanboy gives a full picture of the nature of Star Citizen. You also have digital platforms (Youtube) where their business model is designed around facilitating fraud and false advertising (and this is the least of their evils).

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/18377-Countdown-To-IAE#iae-schedule

Place your bet on many dollars "worth" of JPEGs they will sell during the scam anniversary!

If there is interest, I will throw down 2 good space games and 1 city-builder game I really like.

$17 million

At first I thought I would go for a lower amount, but I always underestimate human stupidity.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

skeletors_condom posted:

$17,242,424

or $17;242.424,00 in Derek decimalization

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

What year is this from? This could be from 2013 as well as today

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

skeletors_condom posted:

$9,999,999.98

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Star Citizen: And so on.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

skeletors_condom posted:

[b]Place your bet on many dollars "worth" of JPEGs they will sell during the scam anniversary!

With all the advancements they have made, I'm thinking 18,420,000.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I started writing this long ranty post about overscoping and how 90 percent of the poo poo they're trying to put in the game is pointless and how SQ42 should have been the first step in it's initial form sans all this dumb bullshit with FPS and melee combat but then I realized I put more effort into writing that post than was put into writing a workable roadmap and I stopped.

We've had several space games over the years since the Kickstarter and even the unfinished ones like Everspace 2 had more fun in them than this will ever have.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Put me down for $4,206,900 in scams, the nice number.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

skeletors_condom posted:

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

skeletors_condom posted:

Hmm. If last year's rake as mentioned below was around the $17M mark, then they're sure to improve on that - as we know, one of Star Citizen's immutable laws is that anniversary sale pledge amounts always increase - so put me down for $21,565,485. Call it a post-pandemic bounce, lots of cash sloshing around at the moment.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

skeletors_condom posted:

$11,218,720.
also we are going to hit 400 million dollars soon :toot:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

TheAgent posted:

Correct, 7 out of 10 of the major sellers on SCtrades are Russian, according to that doc passed around last year. One had rolling inventory of over $200k lol
Just Russian oligarchs competing in who has the longest yacht, most expensive watches or largest collection of Idrises. Nothing to see here.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

As we all know, the thing that's really missing from SC right now is more ships, so this should be a big help.

Was looking at this Pimax VR headset that this guy was mentioning. If you're a VR dork it seems quite good? I feel like I never see it mentioned though which seems odd.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

skeletors_condom posted:

Aiming for $13,042,042

:sureboat:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

The heathers trying to stop CR from making his movie probably need to be banned from CIG everything.

Trying to get between CR and his movies is not a good idea.

If anything, you should be begging for CR to transform STar city into a YouTube video with actors and motion capture.

You "video game" is the trash that is produced as a side effect when making the movie, not the other way around!

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

skeletors_condom posted:

I always end up too low on these things so this time I'll pick a number that is obviously far too large

$22,069,420

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Fidelitious posted:

Was looking at this Pimax VR headset that this guy was mentioning. If you're a VR dork it seems quite good? I feel like I never see it mentioned though which seems odd.

It's a luxury VR line, born from a record breaking Kickstarter. They put 2 4K screens together to make a never-before-done 8K headset. They say they will get to the eye tracking stretch goal later. And add a scent module.

Never tried it but it seems very Star Citizen

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
I'll go for 19 million.

looking at sc gamer dad's forum posting it's business as usual. looks like they mostly get their info second hand from fan boys that have the will to dig though the mountain of info cig put out. so from their perspective the game is fun to play and steadily but admittedly slowly progressing towards the goal.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

commando in tophat posted:

What year is this from? This could be from 2013 as well as today

That is some hot and fresh reddit right there, vine ripened and only picked yesterday at the height of flavor.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

$19.51m

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

trucutru posted:

These loving morons

Also, :lol:

Especially funny since we all know when if they ever release salvaging gameplay it'll just be pointing a salvager gun at a wreck until the progress bar fills up...

.random
May 7, 2007

Price is Right rules, I’ll go with $1 :smug:

But yeah, I’m thinking $12,171,600 (69x420x420 lol lol)

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

One cent

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.
$17,851,042

That's my guess for this world changing game.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

$42e6

None of you fudsters believe! It's gonna be the biggest raise ever!

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

skeletors_condom posted:

$12,730,000

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
In CryEngine/Lumberyard related news, players seemingly figured out that Steam accounts banned from New World can still play via family sharing, or possibly just by changing the e-mail address on the Steam account.
https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-news/new-world-players-find-alarmingly-simple-exploit-to-un-ban-themselves-3087193

quote:

As revealed on the New World forums, players can un-ban their account simply by using Steam Family Share. Meanwhile, another bug report states that players can un-ban their own accounts by changing their registered Steam email.

This critical bug allows players who have been banned or suspended by Amazon Game Studios to continue playing without buying another copy of New World. While the specific in-game character will remain banned, the issue means that players who were permanently banned for cheating, toxicity or other offences can un-ban their own Steam account to create fresh characters and potentially continue breaking the terms of service.

It's just glorious :D

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

How many of you still make the mistake of trying to show Star Citizen off to friends by playing the game (well, trying to) instead of showing them videos? posted:

I figured I would have learned my lesson by now, but nope, every time I've tried, the game has crashed so often and so consistently, that everyone I've shown it to has left thinking SC was just crap, which it's not. Their limited experience doesn't leave them amused or impressed and always leaves me feeling like I am talking about something make believe and and leaves me feeling down because I want to share SC with everyone I know, still, 8 years goin on, and I haven't been able to successfully at all, ever, unless I show them videos, then they ask if this is something real which always puts a smile on my face.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Mirificus posted:

everyone I've shown it to has left thinking SC was just crap, which it's not

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Star Citizen: they ask if this is something real which always puts a smile on my face

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

skeletors_condom posted:

$6,000,000

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

RL bartenders roleplaying giving info etc posted:

Idea: CIG gets contracts with Citizen Bars (Real life bars with big screens showing battles and space station bars!!) and these bartenders also got a game account, yet a funky one. These game accounts are ingame also bar tenders who got all this funky hidden info.

When anybody approaches this barman ingame on a wide screen in this RL bar one can see this too, and the RL barman picks up his headset and face recognize gear etc, and starts the roleplaying conversation. CIG gives this person ingame hidden info and missions to hand out to the person making contact.

Roleplaying in a way not yet seen in this timeline, yet easy to implement. All the stuff needed already exists!

Now we get fan-bars with ingame stuff going live on some bigscreen.

(Now how do we lure these Duul Dragons into this RL bar, lolol...)

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Lammasu posted:

How long has CIG been doing the Top Gear bit? Have they always done that? Don't they realize how dated it looks?

Oh you sweet innocent children

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SpsjUHj_II

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

"Sorry, paying customer, you'll have to wait 5 minutes while I serve and share gossip with this virtual customer in this broken space game."

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hey, have you heard, hot action tonight at Billy's Pub. I heard the bartender will ask lucky patrons to haul space boxes around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Mirificus posted:

How many of you still make the mistake of trying to show Star Citizen off to friends by playing the game (well, trying to) instead of showing them videos?

Lol, this thread is amazing. Every time Job Blobers says "you can play the game right now!" he should be linked this thread.