Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
climate summit reminded me a lot of make poverty history back in 2005

that is my useful post for today

:nws:

:nws:

crispix fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Nov 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Good thing Labour are around to capitalise on this humiliating climbdown aye https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1456214017115099137

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Lol, I wonder what has really changed their minds?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Tesseraction posted:

Good thing Labour are around to capitalise on this humiliating climbdown aye https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1456214017115099137

Hey, Direct action works it seems!

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
oh no, not a byelection in a Tory safe seat

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Lol, I wonder what has really changed their minds?

the front page of the daily mail

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Enjoy the implication that they've been squeaky clean from the expenses scandal up until this very specific incident

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Tory MPs must be spitting nails about being made to vote for this before doing an immediate u-turn the next day.

gently caress em obviously, but worth noting on the basis that they're the only actual threat to the government.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

SixFigureSandwich posted:

oh no, not a byelection in a Tory safe seat

Neil Hamilton had a safe Tory seat when he got beaten by journalist Martin Bell. Tatton was later George Osborne's seat. People aren't wild about corruption. Well, explicitly open corruption, people don't really care about the general undercurrent if it

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://twitter.com/iainjwatson/status/1456229095960948744?t=KRaqnSMNAZOjP0jU80OSnA&s=19

Patterson is done.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

Neil Hamilton had a safe Tory seat when he got beaten by journalist Martin Bell. Tatton was later George Osborne's seat. People aren't wild about corruption. Well, explicitly open corruption, people don't really care about the general undercurrent if it

Also safe seats are often safe seats because they don't get any campaigning resource from the other parties

In by-elections with reduced turnout and greater focus from the other parties they can get a lot wobblier.

serious gaylord posted:

Patterson is done.

How much of this was him coming out swinging last night calling the report a fabrication and for the committee to resign. What a loving idiot.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Ypres Pan

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol the Beeb spoke to Peter Bone who voted to save Patterson and they opened the interview with how violent thugs vandalised his office (by writing "tory sleeze" over the front of it) and how it reminds him of how they sent "a picture of my son being executed" before finally moving on to his vote and why he did it after the sympathy barrel had been thoroughly filled.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

So they just thought the media and electorate were going to handwave away flagrant and blatant corruption. Then shat themselves when The Mail called them out on it? They’re really that loving stupid?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

peanut- posted:

Also safe seats are often safe seats because they don't get any campaigning resource from the other parties

In by-elections with reduced turnout and greater focus from the other parties they can get a lot wobblier.

How much of this was him coming out swinging last night calling the report a fabrication and for the committee to resign. What a loving idiot.

I think they genuinely thought they'd get away with it. The reaction of normally friendly papers and journos has stuck a rocket up them

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

peanut- posted:

I think some of it is just the fash rags not having any labour MPs to fuckbarrel and sniffed blood in the water here

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

So they just thought the media and electorate were going to handwave away flagrant and blatant corruption. Then shat themselves when The Mail called them out on it? They’re really that loving stupid?

what about all of this *waves hands over past 11 years* made you think these people have a brain cell between them

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Tesseraction posted:

what about all of this *waves hands over past 11 years* made you think these people have a brain cell between them

It’s a fair point. Their inbred Etonian stupidity and arrogance actually outweighs their malice and corruption

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Almost 24 hours after the first one, I've just got an email from Labour to my party membership address, so yeah it looks like it's much bigger than affiliates. Twitter complaints seem to suggest the emails are being sent in date order which would make sense as I was an affiliate for like 10 years before joining.

The tie breaker is whether or not my burner address gets one too. If not it suggests the partner that got popped was either one of the campaigns or possibly ERS themselves who run the elections, if it does then Labour have their entire contact database to a third party for some reason.

Anything other than it being ERS means the party are likely to be turbo hosed, but not to the millions of pounds fine level that done are suggesting.

Oh gently caress... what if it was Corbyn's leadership campaign?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I can't be arsed to look up the Commons rules - did they have to hold a vote on suspending him? Could BoJo just quietly do it without all the pomp and circumstance that the Mail can splash across the front pages?

The only thing the Tories have to do to be the ruling party forever is avoid getting caught up in controversy after controversy that makes the general public turn towards the opposition. If there was any opposition to actually capitalise on it.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

smellmycheese posted:

Guess they miscalculated and thought the Mail would prioritise party loyalty over the fresh meat of a corruption story. More fool them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the main error is actually that they panicked at a salty mail headline.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Almost 24 hours after the first one, I've just got an email from Labour to my party membership address, so yeah it looks like it's much bigger than affiliates. Twitter complaints seem to suggest the emails are being sent in date order which would make sense as I was an affiliate for like 10 years before joining.

The tie breaker is whether or not my burner address gets one too. If not it suggests the partner that got popped was either one of the campaigns or possibly ERS themselves who run the elections, if it does then Labour have their entire contact database to a third party for some reason.

Anything other than it being ERS means the party are likely to be turbo hosed, but not to the millions of pounds fine level that done are suggesting.

The email I used to sign up as a member got tagged this morning. I didn't use that for anything but official labour emails so I think they had their entire database with a third party.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

goddamnedtwisto posted:

if it does then Labour have their entire contact database to a third party for some reason

Maybe keith sent it to them so they can find the leftists.

Sorry guillotinefucker69@gmail.com, you have been banned from the party.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

EvilHawk posted:

The only thing the Tories have to do to be the ruling party forever is avoid getting caught up in controversy after controversy
That's like saying the only thing that an organized hierarchical established socio-religious structure has to do to remain in favour forever is avoid running massive child abuse rings. It sounds pretty simple on paper and yet they never can.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

kecske posted:

Ypres Pan

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I just read from someone whose partner quit before the 2019 GE over Corbyn's handling of Brexit. They too got a notification. So it's unlikely to be the leadership campaign because they didn't support him.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Tony_Diver/status/1456224713693351938

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Just unprecedented levels of normality going on at Canary Wharf today - a military band playing what I *think* was Somewhere Out There while an unearthly siren blared from one of the buildings and the demolition works on the Reuters building provided a Rammstein-esque backbeat. I got video but unfortunately the wind noise completely blotted it out, but it genuinely was one of the most disorienting and disconcerting scenes I've ever walked through.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Who is outside my house yelling stop being corrupt? Cowards show yourself. I will never stop being corrupt.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
At some point there was a team (probably assisted by a 'script' though I know manual effort was also involved so it might even have been on someone's home pc) feverishly searching twitter and facebook by email addresses used by party members to see if any Corbyn supporters said fk the foofighters or whatever so they could suspend them.

I don't know if they were searching every member and maybe finding posts satisfying {pro-Corbyn} AND {swear word} or had somehow just got a list relating to members who supported Corbyn.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

I just read from someone whose partner quit before the 2019 GE over Corbyn's handling of Brexit. They too got a notification. So it's unlikely to be the leadership campaign because they didn't support him.

The leadership and NEC campaigns get access to a list of every eligible voter, IIRC. Certainly I've got an email to my union address from my pre-membership days from Corbyn asking for me to vote for him, and emails to both addresses for the chicken coup leadership election.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Just unprecedented levels of normality going on at Canary Wharf today - a military band playing what I *think* was Somewhere Out There while an unearthly siren blared from one of the buildings and the demolition works on the Reuters building provided a Rammstein-esque backbeat. I got video but unfortunately the wind noise completely blotted it out, but it genuinely was one of the most disorienting and disconcerting scenes I've ever walked through.

Think you just wandered into an Einstürzende Neubauten concert there

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

An ex-friend of mine always used to say that he found it really weird that every time someone talks or writes about Dave Grohl his name is always appended with "he's such a nice guy!" "nicest guy in rock!" etc., etc., and that the sheer consistency of it is really sus, he took that as reason enough to prophylactically despise him, and his band

So I dunno, maybe gently caress the foo fighters

their music sucks poo poo now, that's for definite

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I don't think I have any ex-friends.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Barry Foster posted:

An ex-friend of mine always used to say that he found it really weird that every time someone talks or writes about Dave Grohl his name is always appended with "he's such a nice guy!" "nicest guy in rock!" etc., etc., and that the sheer consistency of it is really sus, he took that as reason enough to prophylactically despise him, and his band

So I dunno, maybe gently caress the foo fighters

their music sucks poo poo now, that's for definite

The Foo Fighters played benefit concerts for AIDS denialists. So yes, gently caress the Foo Fighters.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/PoliticsJOE_UK/status/1456254277043720192

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I don't think I have any ex-friends.

You must be less of a piece of poo poo than I am then

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

The Foo Fighters played benefit concerts for AIDS denialists. So yes, gently caress the Foo Fighters.

Dang I guess Rob was right

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Probably misremembering but was dave grohl not accused of trying to nonce Kurt cobains kid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Or have worse taste.