Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Is there any good reading on the argument that corporations are artificial intelligences?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Good morning climate change thread, guess what... I made another human! :)

But more on that later. Did you know there's a thing called a steam steriliser, a big plastic container that you fill with water and plastic baby bottles and then wack in the microwave for 5 minutes? And then after sterilising the baby bottles every single day, they go in the baby's mouth? I'm sure this has no downsides

:ohdear:

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Is there any good reading on the argument that corporations are artificial intelligences?

This piece was pretty good https://www.counterpunch.org/2017/12/01/ai-has-already-taken-over-its-called-the-corporation/

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 10 days!)

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

But more on that later. Did you know there's a thing called a steam steriliser, a big plastic container that you fill with water and plastic baby bottles and then wack in the microwave for 5 minutes? And then after sterilising the baby bottles every single day, they go in the baby's mouth? I'm sure this has no downsides

:ohdear:
you are obligated to livestream the doom baby and let it be parented by this thread

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Isn't this basically the thesis of Das Kapital? The system is stuck in a feedback loop of accumulating capital into as few hands as possible and we're all just the cogs. It's so autonomous and flawed that it can easily cause itself to come off the rails. In this model the winners of capitalism are also more or less cogs[powerless in the face of number must go up], just cogs that benefit tremendously

Jokerpilled Drudge has issued a correction as of 13:08 on Nov 4, 2021

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Lol, lmao.

Serf
May 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/ShellenbergerMD/status/1455915682550321156?s=20
https://twitter.com/ShellenbergerMD/status/1455917744285646849?s=20
https://twitter.com/ShellenbergerMD/status/1455918265369202692?s=20

this thread becomes more and more insane the longer it goes. is this guy some kinda well-known dumbass?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Serf posted:

[

this thread becomes more and more insane the longer it goes. is this guy some kinda well-known dumbass?

quote:

Apocalypse Never: Why Environmental Alarmism Hurts Us AllEdit

In June 2020, Shellenberger published Apocalypse Never: Why Environmental Alarmism Hurts Us All, in which the author argues that climate change is not the existential threat it is portrayed to be in popular media and activism. Rather, he posits that technological innovation and capital accumulation, if allowed to continue and grow, will remedy environmental issues.

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

https://twitter.com/dwallacewells/status/1456248842546995207

cool

quote:

Though the new contaminant list is disturbing, it would be much longer if regulators and utilities were properly monitoring the nation’s water supply, said the EWG senior scientist Tasha Stoiber.
lmao

Dick Valentine
Nov 4, 2009

re: Michael Shellenberger

https://unherd.com/2021/11/climate-change-will-not-be-catastrophic/

quote:

The best science now predicts that temperatures are likely to rise just 2.5-3°C above pre-industrial levels. It’s not ideal, but it’s a far cry from the hysterical and apocalyptic predictions of 6°C, made just a decade ago. A 3°C increase is hardly an existential threat to humanity.

quote:

Given how good we are at mitigating the effects of natural disasters, it’s ironic that so many climate alarmists focus on them. It’s perhaps because the world’s most visually dramatic, fascinating events — fires, floods, storms — make their cause stick in the minds of voters. If it were acknowledged that heat deaths were due to lack of air conditioning and forest fires were due to the buildup of wood fuel after decades of fire suppression, alarmist journalists, scientists and activists would be deprived of the “news hooks” they need to scare people, raise money and advocate climate policies.

quote:

This is part of a common pattern: the people who claim to be most alarmed about climate change are the ones blocking its only viable solutions, natural gas and nuclear.

quote:

Indeed, the best available economic modelling finds that, by 2100, the global economy will be three to six times larger than it is today, and that the costs of adapting to a high (4°C) temperature rise would reduce gross domestic product by just 4.5%. Why kill ourselves trying to eliminate a problem that just isn’t that severe?

quote:

When a hurricane hits Florida, it might kill no one, but when that same storm hits Haiti, thousands can die instantly through drowning — and thousands more subsequently, in disease epidemics like cholera. The difference is that Florida can afford to prepare properly, and Haiti can’t.

The richer the world gets, the better it will cope, then.

Serf
May 5, 2011

lol, lmao

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

so, it's not that bad yet then

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

quote:

A 3°C increase is hardly an existential threat to humanity.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

sometimes it gets a lil hot just go inside

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/BBCSteveR/status/1456265096049487884?s=20

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I had no idea the ice was such a big part of the structure of the soil, that's really cool to watch it all just cave in like that

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

time to fire up a bunch of bulldozers and flatten it all again i guess!!!

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
more jobs and economic activity, thanks to climate change

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Shellenberger is a professional science misunderstander. He works hard to find new ways to misunderstand science and write them down with the full authority of someone who claims to once have been a climate activist.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Cold on a Cob posted:

more jobs and economic activity, thanks to climate change

we have switched over to a new ideology

it's just basically this monologue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VTsFtwO0u0

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

goddamn it must own to be a moron with lots of self-confidence

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

brakeless posted:

goddamn it must own to be a moron with lots of self-confidence

you can just say mod

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Serf posted:

it brings me great joy to know this motherfucker will be alive to see just how wrong he is

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

this is why i only drink beer, which as we all know is beer not water and therefore is fine

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

it brings me great joy to know this motherfucker will be alive to see just how wrong he is

But until then, he gets to make bank by being a "dissenting voice for hire." :shepface:

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Nah, it's gonna be this forever

quote:

Some of us warned that climate activist efforts against natural gas would backfire. Eight years ago I defended fracking for making natural gas cheaper than coal. Reducing natural gas exploration would make gas more expensive, I argued, and delay the transition away from coal.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

With that Bjorn Lomborg guy it really looks like a concerted effort to get these idiots published with shitloads of "FALSE ALARM" and "CLIMATE CHANGE IS GOOD ACTUALLY" books.

"THERE WILL NEVER BE A PROBLEM: BUY STUFF"

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

This came out in August: https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acs.est.1c01103

quote:

All migrates induced baseline toxicity, 22 an oxidative stress response, 13 antiandrogenicity, and one estrogenicity. Overall, between 17 and 8681 relevant chemical features were present in the migrates. In other words, between 1 and 88% of the plastic chemicals associated with one product were migrating. Further, we tentatively identified ∼8% of all detected features implying that most plastic chemicals remain unknown. While low-density polyethylene, polyvinyl chloride, and polyurethane induced most toxicological endpoints, a generalization for other materials is not possible. Our results demonstrate that plastic products readily leach many more chemicals than previously known, some of which are toxic in vitro. This highlights that humans are exposed to many more plastic chemicals than currently considered in public health science and policies.

Includes "food-safe" plastics like yogurt and drinking bottles etc.

e: I wonder what the shade balls are made of

RIP Syndrome has issued a correction as of 19:01 on Nov 4, 2021

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
one sec hooking up a water purification system to my municipal water supply like I had well water

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

RIP Syndrome posted:

no it's cool the salesman in the video said the shade balls are good and don't leech chemicals

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I don't understand why the balls aren't white

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

it was cheaper to make them from shredded car tires

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Serf posted:

well apparently he lives in california, a place that is literally achieving climate change-related automated desertification in front of our eyes, and says climate change is a fake crisis created by college kids so lmao

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/03/americas/bolivia-heatwave-highlands-intl/index.html

quote:

"The sun is burning. This sun isn't normal," said La Paz resident Segundina Mamani

"Now that there are no clouds, we have an entry of a large amount of ultraviolet radiation that affects everyone," said Blacutt.

cocaine trees roasting on the Bolivian plateaus -- surely this will motivate the 1% to fight climate change.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
"The sun is burning. This sun isn't normal."

ahhhdhsgfhdf just when i thought all cracks were pinged

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I'm definitely done child having but I have a history of pelvic floor trauma and post surgical complications and I've been specifically told by a conventional pelvic PT that I trust that a vasectomy is substantially higher risk for me because of existing problems in the general area plus scar tissue from a prior procedure.

We are on the IUD train for now, but I'm not really sure that's gonna take us all the way to menopause. On the other hand, maybe the atmosphere will turn to acid before we have to think about it.

Laterite posted:

"The sun is burning. This sun isn't normal."

ahhhdhsgfhdf just when i thought all cracks were pinged

psst citizens of Earth, your star is actually a giant ball of death and the only reason it keeps you alive is insane distances plus a very carefully balanced set of conditions you are actively loving up, hth

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Gravid Topiary posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/03/americas/bolivia-heatwave-highlands-intl/index.html

cocaine trees roasting on the Bolivian plateaus -- surely this will motivate the 1% to fight climate change.

quote:

Levels of UV radiation have at times in recent weeks hit 21 on a scale that normally only goes up as far as 20. According to the World Health Organization, a UV index of 11 is regarded as "extreme," with people cautioned to avoid exposure to the sun.

Hey, at least it hasn't hit 22. Yet.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

as a first time parent I am sure you are worrying about anything and everything the same way we did, and also I know kids are way more sensitive in those critical first few months, but, poo poo, based on my own upbringing plus having a 5 year old and a 1/2 year old, sterilization in general is overrated. They didn't loving have microwaves when I was a baby, I bet my bottles were soap washed if that. The amount of times I've seen my kid just straight up eat dirt is legion at this point, we live in a wood box in the middle of the woods.

Anyway we've made it through 2 kids with no steam sterilizer, I believe in you. We soak bottles and related poo poo in a tub of soapy water.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Leroy Diplowski posted:

It'll be fine. The procedure is a breeze and having wanton unprotected sex is fantastic.

I cancelled mine once before I rescheduled and went through with it so you are not alone on the internal monologue thing, but honestly I wish I'd done it even earlier.

this was exactly what i needed to hear read and couldn't be more true, thanks! got some good drugs out of the deal too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

this is why i only drink beer, which as we all know is beer not water and therefore is fine
:hmmyes:

RIP Syndrome posted:

Maybe we should trust plastic. Perhaps it has a plan beyond our reckoning.