Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

that's just defining the CPUID bits which allow software to check whether or not the CPU supports each AVX512 subset, it doesn't necessarily mean zen4 will support all of them

still lol if AMD makes any level of AVX512 widely available before intel does

repiv fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Nov 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
where my fuckin benchmarks at i wanna know if we need to change our recommendations in the pc building thread lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
lol I hope they don't go all in on only reviewing the i9

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

CoolCab posted:

where my fuckin benchmarks at i wanna know if we need to change our recommendations in the pc building thread lol

https://videocardz.com/119188/intel-12th-gen-core-alder-lake-s-review-roundup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhI9tLOg-6I

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Hardware Unboxed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWsMYHHC6j4

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Eurogamer's got some decent benches in too

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2021-intel-core-i9-12900k-i5-12600k-review

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Seems DDR4 is fine

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Phoronix has their review up. 12900k 3% on average faster than the 5950x in linux productivity. 5800x and 12600x are a match, with 5900x much better and 5600x much worse.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Nov 4, 2021

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
yeah wowsers, if it is matching the 5800X then the 5600X would need a massive price drop to justify. what's pricing like? i heard the 12600k is a hundred bucks cheaper than a 5600X?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The 12600K is out of stock already at the bigger online stores, but you should be able to find some at the smaller stores (B&H Photo, for instance) for a little bit longer before it's out of stock everywhere for the next few months.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

CoolCab posted:

The 12600K is the best value CPU we've seen in years and makes the 5600x and 5800x irrelevant. You can safely go for DDR4 which brings the platform cost more in-line with Ryzen.

GN showed that AVX-512 was able to be enabled on their 12900K by disabling E-cores in the BIOS, flip-flopping back on Intel's statement on the matter. Cool for the platform.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

CoolCab posted:

yeah wowsers, if it is matching the 5800X then the 5600X would need a massive price drop to justify. what's pricing like? i heard the 12600k is a hundred bucks cheaper than a 5600X?

Uh, no. The 12600K is $320. 5600X is around $300.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

CoolCab posted:

You're thinking of the unreleased 12400, which will ditch the E-cores and come in around $200. Should be great on a budget but not as much of a 5800x killer.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

BurritoJustice posted:

GN showed that AVX-512 was able to be enabled on their 12900K by disabling E-cores in the BIOS, flip-flopping back on Intel's statement on the matter. Cool for the platform.

lol make your minds up intel

i doubt it will be worthwhile for most people to disable their E-cores given how little software uses AVX512 at this point, but it's a nice bonus for the E-coreless chips where there's no trade-off

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

CoolCab posted:

Linux still doesn't have the proper big/little scheduler fixes so it should move more to intel's benefit.

In the UK, the 12600k is about £290. A 5600x Is £270. Even with motherboard and ddr5 premiums, that's a hard sell for the AMD.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

BurritoJustice posted:

The 12600K is the best value CPU we've seen in years and makes the 5600x and 5800x irrelevant. You can safely go for DDR4 which brings the platform cost more in-line with Ryzen.

Wait, does this mean that the E-core less chips ship with AVX-512? 12400 don't let me down!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Shipon posted:

That blender power consumption and temp, god drat

100w more than the 5950X and over a minute slower... ouch

Edit: oooh, ahh, lots of other articles are up. Time to peruse

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BurritoJustice posted:

Lol at least they won't Samsung it up

Pablo Bluth posted:

Linux still doesn't have the proper big/little scheduler fixes so it should move more to intel's benefit.

In the UK, the 12600k is about £290. A 5600x Is £270. Even with motherboard and ddr5 premiums, that's a hard sell for the AMD.
Here the 12600KF costs exactly as much as the 5600X. Igpu adds about $50 to that. Still kind of expensive but the first exciting option in hears, really.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

HalloKitty posted:

100w more than the 5950X and over a minute slower... ouch

Edit: oooh, ahh, lots of other articles are up. Time to peruse

el oh el. Just saw the Linus review, saying you need a large cpu cooler and room cooler if you get the 12900k.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Paul MaudDib posted:

AMD already has juiced the gently caress out of their CPUs, 7nm just doesn’t scale that well on clocks. They could pour on the power and it would still only be 1-5% faster plus they’d also have a bunch of warranty failures in a couple years.

Yeah, its kinda hilarious how much power they take when on a decent custom loop. I am looking forward how much the new Intels will burn when unleashed.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

mobby_6kl posted:

I thought it was the 5600 since it wasn't significantly cheaper than the 5800 but lacked two cores but I never looked into it too much

The upside of the 5800x is that is has the same cores as the new console generation, so for gaming it is really the max you need.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

AutismVaccine posted:

Yeah, its kinda hilarious how much power they take when on a decent custom loop. I am looking forward how much the new Intels will burn when unleashed.

I saw 400W at 1.44v~, 5.3GHz all core on an overclocking forum. They'd also juiced the E-cores into the 4GHz+ range

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

BurritoJustice posted:

I saw 400W at 1.44v~, 5.3GHz all core on an overclocking forum. They'd also juiced the E-cores into the 4GHz+ range

Holy christ, need to google that

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

BurritoJustice posted:

What voltages have people been clocking 7nm AMD at? At what point does electromigration truly become a worry if you're hoping for a 5+ year CPU life?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Man that is some hot poo poo from Intel. Considering pricing of the platform, and ddr5 availability, I think I'll buy a cheap am4, reuse my ddr4 and buy one of those 3d cache amd cpu's. That intel chip is super loving hot and game perf is not dramatically worse on 1440p-4k.

My pc can't handle another 300W+ item inside it.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

12900K benchmarks are impressive, but not at the cost of DDR5 for the next while and the insane power draw compared to a 5900X or 5950X.

If you ignore the cost of DDR5 the i5 12600K is definitely going to be the budget gaming CPU to pick, also depending on how much the 5600X gets slashed, drat.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

ijyt posted:

12900K benchmarks are impressive, but not at the cost of DDR5 for the next while and the insane power draw compared to a 5900X or 5950X.

If you ignore the cost of DDR5 the i5 12600K is definitely going to be the budget gaming CPU to pick, also depending on how much the 5600X gets slashed, drat.

You can just buy a DDR4 motherboard instead though? Alder lake will take either.

My money's on the 12400 being the real budget king on one of the lower end chipsets.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the other shoe that's waiting to drop is the i3-12100

if the Golden Cove cores are that good, that's a lot of firepower to sling around even if it's just a quad core, and especially if it's priced at or near the hundred-dollar range, and with AMD probably not having anything to compete with in that space

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

the other shoe that's waiting to drop is the i3-12100

if the Golden Cove cores are that good, that's a lot of firepower to sling around even if it's just a quad core, and especially if it's priced at or near the hundred-dollar range, and with AMD probably not having anything to compete with in that space

Do they have any need to make such a part? Rocket lake never got i3s, right? There's no nVidia 3xxx GPUs beneath the 3060, there's no AMD CPUs under the 5600X.

Why would Intel sell a desktop i3 ever in this environment?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Twerk from Home posted:

Do they have any need to make such a part? Rocket lake never got i3s, right? There's no nVidia 3xxx GPUs beneath the 3060, there's no AMD CPUs under the 5600X.

Why would Intel sell a desktop i3 ever in this environment?

we already know that they're going to make these, as the T-model/low-power versions were leaked in September from some OEM

I guess I agree that Intel has no real need to sell one in the enthusiast/DIY space even if it's something that they'd want to do for OEMs, but I don't know that they'd limit availability like that the way AMD did/does with their APUs

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

VorpalFish posted:

You can just buy a DDR4 motherboard instead though? Alder lake will take either.

My money's on the 12400 being the real budget king on one of the lower end chipsets.
I gather the non-k won't have the same pl2 auto overclocking? I could see that hurting performance, especially uf it stops juicing the ST performance.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

They cut AVX support. That's just how the 12900K reacts to any intense workload.

I thought only AVX512 was cut, earlier versions were available.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Pablo Bluth posted:

I gather the non-k won't have the same pl2 auto overclocking? I could see that hurting performance, especially uf it stops juicing the ST performance.

PL1=PL2 is only enabled by default on K-skus, but there's no indication it won't be at least an optional toggle on non-K SKUs like traditional MCE.

The 12600K doesn't need to go much above PL1 anyway, so the smaller 12400 might clock even better within the same budget.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Pablo Bluth posted:

I cant say for Alder Lake specifically, but for all prior intel platforms, all SKUs have TDP settings unlocked. If you have something like an 8700 non-K or 9900 non-K, you basically have to edit the TDP settings to get the performance out of the chip... if the motherboard vendor didn't already do it for you without telling you.

Locked SKUs still have their frequency tables enforced though. So if the table says all core is some low numbers, thats where it will stay regardless of how much TDP you give it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pablo Bluth posted:

the i5-11400F could go all the way to sucking down 200 watts under full load if your motherboard could deliver that much juice and you lifted the power limits via the BIOS (which didn't require a Z-model motherboard)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Looks like Microcenter has the 12600k for $320, 5600X for $290, the 11600k for $230, and the 10400 for $180. They really are crowding that "new middle" tier of the market.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Twerk from Home posted:

What voltages have people been clocking 7nm AMD at?

Since the 3000 series introduced the ability to set PPT in the BIOS (or Ryzen Master if you're on Windows), I think most people don't bother with setting voltages by hand anymore. You just tell the CPU how many watts it is allowed to use, and the power/frequency/thermal management algorithm constantly adjusts clocks for each core to what it can push within that envelope.

You can literally watch a chip speed up when its intake air gets cooler, opening up more thermal overhead. It's rad.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
So as a big dumb dumb who just wants a better CPU to eek out more frames on my CPU limited games, this new lineup from Intel seems like a win right?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Skyarb posted:

So as a big dumb dumb who just wants a better CPU to eek out more frames on my CPU limited games, this new lineup from Intel seems like a win right?

The 12600K is the new gaming king. Excellent price and beats out the 5600X handily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Hmmmmm extremely tempted to get a 12600K or maybe even 12900K and move my 8700K to replace my 2500K in my NAS/VM/Transcoding box :haw:

12900K seems like overkill but.. :getin: