Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Drunkboxer posted:

It’s a weird one. That self groping chest prop is hard to forget.

So many supposed supernatural encounters are so clearly sleep paralysis, like probably 90% of all abduction stories. I don’t know why there’s not more good representations of it on screen because it seems like it’d be easy to pull off. The only time it felt true to me was in Gerald’s Game.

I don't know how that chest groping thing was done, was it a dummy torso? They got their monies worth on it but it was loving gross. There is anxiety inducing music that plays during every attack which frightens the poo poo out of me, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7W24CgR62M
https://youtu.be/T7W24CgR62M

Yeah great shout about Gerald's Game. Have you seen the Nightmare documentary about sleep paralysis? It wasn't too bad and it's a super interesting subject.

M_Sinistrari posted:

If we're talking the one with Barbara Hershey, that was based on an actual alleged paranormal incident of Doris Bither's being attacked and raped by some sort of poltergeists. Investigators did go out to investigate, did note some poltergeist activity in her house. Modern analysis into her case points to sleep paralysis which does explain a lot, but not all of it like specific injuries she suffered.

The film does a pretty good job of offering alternative psychological explanations which makes the film feel kind of like a proto Nightmare on Elm Street; where you're not sure what could be a dream or not - at least until the big stupid ending.

Yeah they make a big deal about it being based on a true story with cards at the beginning and the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

That reminds me that’s still on my list. Looking forward to finally watching The Entity.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't believe anyone's horror recommendations if House of 1,000 Corpses is their favorite horror movie.

It's a good movie but Rob Zombie's schtick started to feel old.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

it was the first movie he did

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
it was the first TCM2 remake he did

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Stink Billyums posted:

it was the first TCM2 remake he did

Whew I felt the heat from this one 🎯

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Every time 1,000 Corpses comes up I remember that I knew a guy in college I knew with a Captain Spaulding tattoo on his thigh, and apparently when he met Sid Haig, dude was like, "Hahaha... you really shouldn't have done that dude!"He seemed really proud that he had creeped out Sid Haig.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CelticPredator posted:

I’m scared he’s gonna be reveled all he cares about is his podcast

Episode 3 put that fear into me too, but this latest ep made me relax a little bit more.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Captain Spaulding is a definitely a memorable character. I mean I wasn't a fan of House of 1000 Corpses but Spaulding is good.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm definitely in the "there's something suspicious about that murder podcast kid" camp. But that could be personal bias.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I'm glad they didn't go the predictable route and have Devon figure out immediately who and what Chucky is, or have already heard of Charles Lee Ray in the first episode. I could've seen a hack writer having Devon geek about about Jake having an original Good Guy doll and then telling Jake the story really early in the series.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

RobbZombae posted:

IHave you seen the Nightmare documentary about sleep paralysis? It wasn't too bad and it's a super interesting subject.

Just a warning, if you suffer from sleep paralysis this documentary likely will trigger it. It did with several people I know

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Now that the challenge is over I'm getting back to all my shows and Chapelwaite is really good. Took a bit to get going but now that it's all out in the open it's some good stuff

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

the_american_dream posted:

Just a warning, if you suffer from sleep paralysis this documentary likely will trigger it. It did with several people I know

This is how my college friend found out he had sleep paralysis. :eng101:

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ive always been a big james wan hater but he did a great job with malignant, just watched it that was a total blast with a refreshingly original concept and design i really dug it. I love movies that start with some balls to the wall craziness and manage to keep it up

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Last Night in Soho was a delight to watch. I gotta admit I did not predict the moral of film being "Murder is okay sometimes."

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kvlt! posted:

ive always been a big james wan hater but he did a great job with malignant, just watched it that was a total blast with a refreshingly original concept and design i really dug it. I love movies that start with some balls to the wall craziness and manage to keep it up

Welcome to the other side my friend

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Last Night in Soho was a delight to watch. I gotta admit I did not predict the moral of film being "Murder is okay sometimes."

It’s incredibly good Edgar Wrights visual storytelling does a great job telling a horror story.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

RobbZombae posted:

The film does a pretty good job of offering alternative psychological explanations which makes the film feel kind of like a proto Nightmare on Elm Street; where you're not sure what could be a dream or not - at least until the big stupid ending.

Yeah they make a big deal about it being based on a true story with cards at the beginning and the end.

The effects were done by Stan Winston. If I remember rightly from an interview, it was a dummy torso that compacted internally for the invisible hands.

And I agree the ending was stupid. From what I remember from the book, she does go to a facility for treatment, but it's implied that the entity followed her there.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Thank you for this, I was going to watch it because! I used to suffer with sleep paralysis. That would have royally sucked.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Ooooh good to know

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I defeated my sleep paralysis when I got a weighted blanket because it usually happen whenever i turn onto my back in my sleep and I don't move around as much now.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I have a 20lb weighted blanket and it just makes me hot and sticky. I def defeated my sleep paralysis by practicing lucid dreaming.

Or taking like 30mg of THC.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

dorium posted:

I have a 20lb weighted blanket and it just makes me hot and sticky. I def defeated my sleep paralysis by practicing lucid dreaming.

Woah... just like the tv show Evil...

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

For some reason after seeing Harry Knowles write about it as “House of a 1,000 Corpses” I haves always thought of the title this way, and referred to it this way in conversation

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

it was a bit of a whiplash since she goes from "I was the killer the whole time!" to "but they deserved it!" to "and now im going to kill you!" to redemption arc all within the climax

enjoyed it. The mean girls subplot was probably more fun than plot A much of the time. Fairly straightforward for Edgar Wright genre wise. Baby Driver had that too though

Lot of homages to Repulsion

was a little weird the way they "developed" John though. A lot of similar complaints about Joseph in BD

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I want to see it but I've avoided it because of this, I really don't want to experience sleep paralysis. :ohdear:

I sometimes get that thing as I fall to sleep where I hear someone whispering in my ear and it freaks me out so I don't want to step further down that particular rabbit hole. Which I guess makes this documentary the first horror film I've actively been too scared to watch.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Drunkboxer posted:

If you click on those kind of articles you deserve whatever psychic damage you get

so does Pennywise :v:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

RobbZombae posted:

Yeah great shout about Gerald's Game. Have you seen the Nightmare documentary about sleep paralysis? It wasn't too bad and it's a super interesting subject.

I’ve seen it and I remember going into it pretty interested but was ultimately disappointed in it. I used to get sleep paralysis as a kid: I saw the shadowy figure in the corner, felt the whole body fear, struggled to scream, the whole thing. It just kind of went away on its own after I was 14 or so but I had a reoccurrence of it recently when I took too much melatonin. I had no idea it could be triggered by films. I don’t remember much about the doc except that I remember feeling like it didn’t land the imagery right for me personally, but that dude standing in the corner in Geralds Game really nailed it imo. I would really like to see a movie that uses that kind of thing even more, it’s really wild seeing something plucked directly from your old nightmares on screen. I may throw the doc on today after work since I don’t remember it very well, maybe I’ll like it better this time.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

MrMojok posted:

For some reason after seeing Harry Knowles write about it as “House of a 1,000 Corpses” I haves always thought of the title this way, and referred to it this way in conversation

I mean, that's how everybody says it but that's not how the title's written so Harry Knowles is an idiot. Yes, it's "House of a Thousand Corpses".

Seeing it written that way makes me read it as literally "House of a One Thousand Corpses".

(unless that's what you meant, I'm confused now)

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Harry Knowles is a disgusting sex pest and I have no idea how it took decades for people to realize this when all you had to do was read his reviews.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Never thought about that until now but yea it's weird that nobody ever says House of One Thousand Corpses, which is the actual title.

If someone said their favorite horror movie was House of 1000 Corpses I'd definitely still have respect for their opinions(it's a really good movie) but I'd also assume they were a younger person who needs to go back and watch some more stuff from the 60s, 70s, and 80s.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Maybe I'll catch some flak for the Dr Satan stans, but I really hated the entire Dr Satan subplot/MacGuffin in Ho1kC. He just didn't add anything to the movie, and while the rest of the movie gets pretty wild and cartoony I thought his whole design was just a little too over the top? Just a skeletal dude with rusty medical equipment living in a hobbit hole in the ground? Really?

Why does he live out there in the middle of the Texas desert, how do the Fireflies know him, why didn't they at least build an add-on to their house and let him experiment there if they're such good pals? Did he live there by coincidence and they just stumbled across him, are they related?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Karloff posted:

I want to see it but I've avoided it because of this, I really don't want to experience sleep paralysis. :ohdear:

I sometimes get that thing as I fall to sleep where I hear someone whispering in my ear and it freaks me out so I don't want to step further down that particular rabbit hole. Which I guess makes this documentary the first horror film I've actively been too scared to watch.

well thats kinda hosed up and cool in my own head. I can see why that's not cool at all, but I find this stuff fascinating.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

King Vidiot posted:

Maybe I'll catch some flak for the Dr Satan stans, but I really hated the entire Dr Satan subplot/MacGuffin in Ho1kC. He just didn't add anything to the movie, and while the rest of the movie gets pretty wild and cartoony I thought his whole design was just a little too over the top? Just a skeletal dude with rusty medical equipment living in a hobbit hole in the ground? Really?

Why does he live out there in the middle of the Texas desert, how do the Fireflies know him, why didn't they at least build an add-on to their house and let him experiment there if they're such good pals? Did he live there by coincidence and they just stumbled across him, are they related?

From what I remember in interviews, the original idea was for Grandpa to have been Dr. Satan, but that got dropped for the Fireflies were likely patients of Dr. Satan.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I get sleep paralysis probably 3 or 4 times a month on average (but can go months without it happening) and I've never actually seen any hallucinations other than hearing weird poo poo sometimes. The only single visual hallucination I have is once when my son was a baby I saw him turn around smile evily at me. I do have a lot of false awakenings though.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I still really like Devil's Rejects but House of 1,000 Corpses bored the poo poo out of me when I saw it in the theater and I fell asleep trying to watch it again a few months later. But then again I don't care for the majority of the rest of what Zombie's done cinematically.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

King Vidiot posted:

Dr Satan rules tho, and all of these questions you ask are why

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Exactly, the reveal of Dr. Satan makes the scope of the movie feel a lot bigger, as if you've only just scratched the surface of what may be going on there. Like, you could do a whole movie without any of the Fireflys where some people stumble onto Dr. Satan's lab years later and his various experiments are still down there along with god knows what else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

M_Sinistrari posted:

From what I remember in interviews, the original idea was for Grandpa to have been Dr. Satan, but that got dropped for the Fireflies were likely patients of Dr. Satan.

That would've been awesome because Grandpa is the second best character in the movie after Spaulding.