Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

FBS posted:

How many more obscenely expensive all-gray sets can they possibly release? :psyduck:

*gestures to entire Star Wars catalog of ships*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

And I'll buy (almost) every single one of them :cheersbird:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Butterfly Valley posted:

can someone less mathematically disinclined than me help with this please

It's 3 pieces so the angles are all going to be 180/3

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I think I would have got the home alone set if there weren't so many stickers.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

I'm glad I didn't build the 75288 AT-AT version yet. Will have to sell it and get the giant version instead.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Bags Fly at Noon posted:

*gestures to entire Star Wars catalog of ships*

I've always found it baffling that they didn't add a lot more colour to the Star Wars ships, for precisely this reason. Surely it must be much easier to sell toys if they have more interesting colours than 95% grey?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Star Wars fans can only see in black and white

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

only the evil fans though

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura
So this discussion is hilariously topical for myself. My siblings and I are going in together to get my Dad a large Lego Star Wars ship of some type. The issue is he already has the new Star Destroyer as well as the Falcon (68 Year old AFOL/Sci-Fi geek he is, much to my Mom's detriment). He is a big fan of the imperial star ships, but the old Super Star Destroyer kit from several years back is crazy expensive. I see that there are people selling the Onecase MOC of the Executor for like $250-$300 but with Chinese bricks. A little further up in this thread was a link to a MOC site (rebrickable? I think) where they were selling the instructions for the same set for something reasonable like $25.00.

My question is...how in the everloving gently caress does someone get all the pieces ordered for that? It would have to be $1000's of dollars in bricklink orders or is there a different way?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
You can still get the UCS TIE for a decent price and it's one of my favorite UCS starships honestly.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
I believe LUGs can get large numbers of individual bricks for cheap but I can’t imagine the hell of setting max prices, paying for shipping from multiple sellers etc for dozens or perhaps hundreds of different pieces :psyduck:

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
You might unlock some of those sellers that have like a $150 minimum buy though

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

uXs posted:

I've always found it baffling that they didn't add a lot more colour to the Star Wars ships, for precisely this reason. Surely it must be much easier to sell toys if they have more interesting colours than 95% grey?

From a toy making perspective, they might have more shelf appeal, but they would be more expensive - that detail means additional plastic molds, stickers, printing, or paint. It’s literally the “boxes” reason we all joke about, but we’re pretty spoiled with the flexibility the Lego system affords to actually pursue that sort of detail in a scalable fashion.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

DoriDori240 posted:

So this discussion is hilariously topical for myself. My siblings and I are going in together to get my Dad a large Lego Star Wars ship of some type. The issue is he already has the new Star Destroyer as well as the Falcon (68 Year old AFOL/Sci-Fi geek he is, much to my Mom's detriment). He is a big fan of the imperial star ships, but the old Super Star Destroyer kit from several years back is crazy expensive. I see that there are people selling the Onecase MOC of the Executor for like $250-$300 but with Chinese bricks. A little further up in this thread was a link to a MOC site (rebrickable? I think) where they were selling the instructions for the same set for something reasonable like $25.00.

My question is...how in the everloving gently caress does someone get all the pieces ordered for that? It would have to be $1000's of dollars in bricklink orders or is there a different way?

Is there no way to export a parts list from the instructions and then upload that to the brick site?
I mean, TCG websites have this technology. Does Bricklink or whatever?

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
There is, but that's not the point. Even if uploaded to Bricklink, you still have to go through and order all the parts manually from lots of different stores, you can't just buy the parts as a pre-made pack. That's part of why it took that guy I know two years to build Cavegod's AT-AT, it took that long to do all the Bricklink orders to get the parts. As for LUGbulk, I've explained how that works previously in this thread. LUGs are limited to 85 part choices so you're unlikely to make much of a dent in what you need to build the AT-AT.

Of course, the other option is to say 'gently caress it' to making it grey and go the rainbow route like this guy with the UCS Falcon:

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

That is the finest Millennium Falcon I've ever seen!

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

I would buy a lot more UCS ships if they came in paint your own colors direct to user from a webpage, so I guess thanks lego for not doing that to me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've been tempted to do the random color UCS falcon, I'm pretty sure I could build it with the pile of parts I have on hand. I just haven't done it because it would still be an enormous build and where the gently caress would I put it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Of course, the other option is to say 'gently caress it' to making it grey and go the rainbow route like this guy with the UCS Falcon:

This is what everything I built as a kid looked like. Gotta work with what I have in the pile.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dogen posted:

You can still get the UCS TIE for a decent price and it's one of my favorite UCS starships honestly.

Also the Tantive IV is great and still pretty affordable.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

This is what everything I built as a kid looked like. Gotta work with what I have in the pile.

But most bricks in the bottom had the same color, because when you started building you thought you could still make the whole thing out of that one color.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

just finished the speed champions nissan gt-r without applying a single decal and it feels good, man. I'm gonna bricklink a plain black hood, a pair of 1x2 curved white pieces and a pair of 1x2 transparent tiles to redo the headlights and it's going to be beautiful.

is the supra a two seater or a one seater?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

As much as I don't need another AT-ST, I really hope that rumored Hoth one (which makes a lot of sense now) is an actual redesign instead of just the Rouge 1 AT-ST with a few parts swapped for a third (or 4th if you count that awful last Jedi or TFA one without the top :barf: ) I always liked the leaner, more angled look of the hoth appearance vs the final ROTJ design.

probably wishful thinking though. It's just gonna be the rouge 1 AT-ST again lol.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I once had a graphics card that would do that. Think I clocked it a bit too high...

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I should NOT have looked up reviews of the titanic… because now I kinda want it!!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

OperaMouse posted:

But most bricks in the bottom had the same color, because when you started building you thought you could still make the whole thing out of that one color.

I'm colorblind enough that I never think about color as a distinguishing feature in things, so I didn't even do that.

Speaking of, the roof of the loving medieval blacksmith is impossible as a colorblind. Fortunately it doesn't matter if you don't match the pattern in the instructions. I was halfway through when I figured out apparently there are three different roof tile colors?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not really a good test because it's drat near impossible for a non-colorblind person to tell those shades apart unless you put a spotlight on it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm colorblind enough that I never think about color as a distinguishing feature in things, so I didn't even do that.

Speaking of, the roof of the loving medieval blacksmith is impossible as a colorblind. Fortunately it doesn't matter if you don't match the pattern in the instructions. I was halfway through when I figured out apparently there are three different roof tile colors?

Four, actually, if you're counting the mossy ones.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm color blind and had no trouble with it at all. IIRC, they are completely different shades so not hard to differentiate at all. Might as well be white, black and grey. I think there are much harder builds where the colors bleed together and the shades are nearly identical. But the blacksmith is dark blue, light blue and blue. I don't see how that would effect a color blind person at all.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm color blind and had no trouble with it at all. IIRC, they are completely different shades so not hard to differentiate at all. Might as well be white, black and grey. I think there are much harder builds where the colors bleed together and the shades are nearly identical. But the blacksmith is dark blue, light blue and blue. I don't see how that would effect a color blind person at all.

Weird that someone not colorblind wouldn't get how colors would be difficult to distinguish if you are. I'm shocked.

the holy poopacy posted:

Four, actually, if you're counting the mossy ones.

Are the gray ones with studs supposed to be moss? Man.

It looks cool though, anyway.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Grand Fromage posted:

Weird that someone not colorblind wouldn't get how colors would be difficult to distinguish if you are. I'm shocked.

I am color blind. Re-read my comment. My point is they are totally different shades. Color blind people still see shades.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

I am color blind. Re-read my comment. My point is they are totally different shades. Color blind people still see shades.

Missed that, sorry. Lifetime of being colorsplained to. You do understand there are different types of colorblindness though, yes? The two dark tiles are completely indistinguishable to me in both the instructions and the model. If I put them right next to each other under a strong flashlight I can sort of tell they're not the same, but I have no idea which is which.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I should NOT have looked up reviews of the titanic… because now I kinda want it!!

very wet and cold. poor service. one star

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Grand Fromage posted:

Missed that, sorry. Lifetime of being colorsplained to. You do understand there are different types of colorblindness though, yes? The two dark tiles are completely indistinguishable to me in both the instructions and the model. If I put them right next to each other under a strong flashlight I can sort of tell they're not the same, but I have no idea which is which.

Ah, that's right. I forgot there were black tiles, too. Yeah, if you don't have good lighting, those are going to be harder to determine.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

Ah, that's right. I forgot there were black tiles, too. Yeah, if you don't have good lighting, those are going to be harder to determine.

Yeah the black and what I'm assuming are dark blue ones are just impossible. The light blue and gray studded ones (though if they're moss I guess those are actually green) are fine. There were some wall bricks that I think I hosed up too.

Fact no one cares about : me referring to a green backpack as gray when I was a little kid was how my mom noticed I was colorblind. Fortunately I'm nowhere near as bad as my uncle, who cannot distinguish any colors at all.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Before I learned lighting tricks, I used to have my gf separate dark red and red brown for me because they looked exactly the same. But with sunlight or a LED that comes close I can tell them apart.

Sunlight seems to be the best way to figure out tricky bricks.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

veni veni veni posted:

rouge 1 AT-ST

Flashbacks to when Rogue Leader was released on the Gamecube and no-one could spell it right so someone mocked up Wedge Antilles in makeup to make fun of this misspelling

RE: colour chat, we're talking about these?

I get that the colour IRL is going to be different than in stud.io but it's wild seeing how colourblindness affects different people. Looking at photos of the set I don't think I'd have any problem with it, but I posted recently about how some of the shades of dirt that went into the bonsai tree were nigh on indistinguishable for me, and that I nearly hosed up the sticker placement on the different shades of red on the Mandalorian AT-ST's legs.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yeah, but IRL, the dark blue and black tiles, in poor light, are nearly indistinguishable. Even for people with good color vision. The dark blue is pretty dark. I think it is the darkest color other than black.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

RatHat posted:

UCS AT-AT leaked

6782 pieces, $799 USD(same price as the UCS Falcon)

Welp :homebrew:

Wife might murder me and I might have to start putting some other stuff in storage because I don't have enough room for a ton of display cases, but this looks cool as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
The “throat” of the Walker looks interesting. Is that a wholly new thing for Lego?