Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Dolphin posted:

That's a pretty stereotypical view of American history and totally discards the actual motivations behind the revolution.

The motivations are actually fairly irrelevant when you're considering the political reality and when you look at how other eventual revolutions would crib from the Americans so heavily. It's fine to judge the founders on their personal views and actions, but it's also necessary to realize what the successful revolution meant overall independent of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

The "can't be racist against white people" thing has always seemed like some sort of weird definitional retcon. Does this definition only hold in certain places like the US? How white does somebody need to be? Does it only work for populations of majority? What about situations where it's two people of color but one has a societal advantage? How much institutional power does it take to be finally called racist?

It's always seemed to me to be a way for somebody to state that they can't be racist by definition but only bigoted (which is OK and cool).

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nvidiagouge posted:

The motivations are actually fairly irrelevant when you're considering the political reality and when you look at how other eventual revolutions would crib from the Americans so heavily. It's fine to judge the founders on their personal views and actions, but it's also necessary to realize what the successful revolution meant overall independent of that.
The political reality is worse! Have you actually studied any US history??

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

TheWeepingHorse posted:

In most academic contexts, it's going to be prejudice plus institutional power.

lol

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Dolphin posted:

The political reality is worse! Have you actually studied any US history??

The US is a pale shadow of the rampant imperialism and colonialism they helped defeat being propagated primarily by monarchists. It's popular to see the US as the villain in all aspects now but it's nothing compared to what European countries did for 500 plus years around the globe. Despite having their own problems with the same issues, the US is who created the blueprint for ending the dominant style of colonialism during that time. Realistically, the US is only really in the position of influence it is right now because of further European atrocities and mistakes in recent times. Europe ruined the globe for hundreds of years before bringing it all home and ruining themselves for another 100. Then the US was there with Russia to help clean up that mess, too. Almost anywhere the US is out meddling around right now or in the last 100 years is either directly or indirectly linked to European colonialism and the destabilization caused by it.

nvidiagouge fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 4, 2021

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jesus Christ

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

nvidiagouge posted:

The US is a pale shadow of the rampant imperialism and colonialism they helped defeat being propagated primarily by monarchists. It's popular to see the US as the villain in all aspects now but it's nothing compared to what European countries did for 500 plus years around the globe. Despite having their own problems with the same issues, the US is who created the blueprint for ending the dominant style of colonialism during that time. Realistically, the US is only really in the position of influence it is right now because of further European atrocities and mistakes in recent times. Europe ruined the globe for hundreds of years before bringing it all home and ruining themselves for another 100. Then the US was there with Russia to help clean up that mess, too. Almost anywhere the US is out meddling around right now or in the last 100 years is either directly or indirectly linked to European colonialism and the destabilization caused by it.

What the gently caress

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah we found the most conservative view. Good job thread!

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
It's actually counter to the myth of American Exceptionalism. The US didn't end up globally dominant through it's own actions. It took a solid 200 plus years of Europe making GBS threads the bed fighting itself with ill-gotten colonial resources for the US to ascend to the top of the heap. Even just as far back as the early 20th century the US was largely seen as a secondary world power.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Where are you getting these copypastas from

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i like the hard work ive done in the trades and am proud to have worked with my hands.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Waterbed Wendy posted:

Work in a liquor store for a few days and you will see just how much alcoholism is a disease. When you hand a pint of cheap vodka to the same guy every day, three times a day it begins to sink in. His hands shake the whole time and he can’t look you in the eye because of his shame over the state he is in. He doesn’t want this vodka, he needs it to live. Addiction is a terrible disease.

Nah, it's not a real disease. Alcoholics are just choosing to die from withdrawal.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

kazil posted:

Nah, it's not a real disease. Alcoholics are just choosing to die from withdrawal.

It's funny that basically every real conservative position posted ITT is always "well I know that there's mountains of evidence and research says this is true but I just feel in my heart of hearts that it's not."

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Alcohol is a real bitch of a drug. There's always a good reason to drink. Had a bad day? time to drink your sorrows away. Had a good day? Time to celebrate with a drink. Wanna party and let loose? Have a few drinks. Bored? Have a drink.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

nvidiagouge posted:

i mean i kinda get it but also wtf.

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

The function of DiAngelo and Kendi, along with a lot of other racial therapy sessions, is to provide a ritualistic session for white people (primarily women) to symbolically separate themselves from whiteness and thus not be bad. People feel this friction because anyone working anything more than a service job in the United States is the moral equivalent of a slaveholder or a Nazi, but people cannot deal with the attendant guilt that causes and so it requires mass psychiatric counseling.

i am more annoyed that most history books are clickbait and or cheap trash that doesnt do the subject justice.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Who What Now posted:

It's funny that basically every real conservative position posted ITT is always "well I know that there's mountains of evidence and research says this is true but I just feel in my heart of hearts that it's not."

See: Spanking children

Tarkus posted:

Alcohol is a real bitch of a drug. There's always a good reason to drink. Had a bad day? time to drink your sorrows away. Had a good day? Time to celebrate with a drink. Wanna party and let loose? Have a few drinks. Bored? Have a drink.

It's not a problem, just gotta drink in moderation! Not like alcohol can make you make bad choices...like drinking more alcohol.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think there are two kinds of addiction, one that can be treated by removing the addictive substance and another that can't. So like with opiate addiction you have the people who were prescribed opiates to deal with pain, but then develop a physical addiction that they can't shake off. These people respond well to tapering off the medication. The second group are people with a different underlying illness, and they self prescribe drugs like alcohol or opiates. Tapering off their drug of choice is not effective for this group because the addiction is not the problem, just a symptom of an underlying illness like depression, PTSD, etc. This group should be prescribed drugs and psych therapy.

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

I only found out quite recently that Robin DiAngelo is white. WTF LMAO

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Dolphin posted:

I think there are two kinds of addiction, one that can be treated by removing the addictive substance and another that can't. So like with opiate addiction you have the people who were prescribed opiates to deal with pain, but then develop a physical addiction that they can't shake off. These people respond well to tapering off the medication. The second group are people with a different underlying illness, and they self prescribe drugs like alcohol or opiates. Tapering off their drug of choice is not effective for this group because the addiction is not the problem, just a symptom of an underlying illness like depression, PTSD, etc. This group should be prescribed drugs and psych therapy.

You'll notice a lot of the time that second group of people will replace their addictions with socially acceptable ones too, like fervent religion or becoming super gym rats because of the brain chemicals they get from that.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

TheWeepingHorse posted:

I only found out quite recently that Robin DiAngelo is white. WTF LMAO

poo poo i never knew that. i mean i think alot of white folks need to come to terms about racist poo poo and systemic racesim etc but like idk if this lady should be the one yelling it. idk.

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

poo poo i never knew that. i mean i think alot of white folks need to come to terms about racist poo poo and systemic racesim etc but like idk if this lady should be the one yelling it. idk.

You can book her for just ten thousand dollars!

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

does anyone have any tricks for becoming rich by telling people im not racist

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

The way it works is you tell them how racist they are and then they applaud you and pay you.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

You’re all racists

Edit: I’m not tho

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

AHH F/UGH posted:

You’re all racists

Edit: I’m not tho

what’s your venmo

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't buy a used car from Karl Marx

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Icochet posted:

Crazy Karl's Cars.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

nvidiagouge posted:

You can book her for just ten thousand dollars!

lol.

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

i would but i dont have a doctorate.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Icochet posted:

Of course you wouldn't, you'd set up a rotating co-ownership schedule.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Kars4Komrads

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am more annoyed that most history books are clickbait and or cheap trash that doesnt do the subject justice.

Its especially annoying because “white fragility” does describe a real phenomenon where white people get incredibly weird and brittle about race, mediated by their cultural and political upbringing. Unfortunately DiAngelo’s prescription is just HR-managed cultic confessionalism to wedge company control further into people’s lives while transforming white women into paypigs for whatever grifter comes along.

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I'm a federal employee and we had "anti-radicalization" training shoved on us after January 6th and it was just so pathetic. It had obviously been rushed out the door by angry Democrats, it only focused on right-wing radicalism, and the whole thing basically turned into everyone involved, including the minorities, making jokes with each other. My Mexican boss and I were messing around and he was like "hey man don't join the Aryan nation" and I was like "cool bro, just stay away from La Raza I hear they're troublemakers" and then we went to eat lunch.

There's this belief among establishment/elite liberals that the only thing standing in the way of everyone else agreeing with them is just one more bland HR training that everyone hates having forced on them and it's funny to watch it shake out on the ground among normal people.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

nvidiagouge posted:

I'm a federal employee and we had "anti-radicalization" training shoved on us after January 6th and it was just so pathetic. It had obviously been rushed out the door by angry Democrats, it only focused on right-wing radicalism, and the whole thing basically turned into everyone involved, including the minorities, making jokes with each other. My Mexican boss and I were messing around and he was like "hey man don't join the Aryan nation" and I was like "cool bro, just stay away from La Raza I hear they're troublemakers" and then we went to eat lunch.

There's this belief among establishment/elite liberals that the only thing standing in the way of everyone else agreeing with them is just one more bland HR training that everyone hates having forced on them and it's funny to watch it shake out on the ground among normal people.

i think the problem is alot of the anti racism is bland as gently caress and uses like 30 academic buzzwords to make the basic point of "don't be a weird chud nutjob who is a bigot".

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think the problem is alot of the anti racism is bland as gently caress and uses like 30 academic buzzwords to make the basic point of "don't be a weird chud nutjob who is a bigot".

The managerial class has completely lost touch with the working class on so many levels in this country it's ridiculous. Everything is designed at that HR level to appeal to HR managers, not to function properly down at the production line level. If you don't have working class people giving you input on your policies, they aren't going to be effective with working people. Most of them already hate everything delivered in the sterile HR-jargon type speech and sending down stuffy elites to preach in that style to the underclass is a doomed endeavor.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

nvidiagouge posted:

Lmao all of those are about making you, the employee, liable for poo poo in non government positions. Also establishing what constitutes a fireable offense.

Nobody gives a poo poo about training. I just copy all the stock photos of people starting at black computer screens and send them to my boss and say "that's me during trainings"

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Lmao all of those are about making you, the employee, liable for poo poo in non government positions. Also establishing what constitutes a fireable offense.

Nobody gives a poo poo about training. I just copy all the stock photos of people starting at black computer screens and send them to my boss and say "that's me during trainings"

Relatedly, the amount of COVID compliance that has been just pencil whipped by the federal government is crazy. They just have a macro they change the numbers on they send out weekly addressing cases in our workspace, always claiming they aren't related, that the exposed people have been informed and that the areas have been cleaned. All that stuff never happens but they keep putting it out to cover their rear end with a paper trail.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

nvidiagouge posted:

Relatedly, the amount of COVID compliance that has been just pencil whipped by the federal government is crazy. They just have a macro they change the numbers on they send out weekly addressing cases in our workspace, always claiming they aren't related, that the exposed people have been informed and that the areas have been cleaned. All that stuff never happens but they keep putting it out to cover their rear end with a paper trail.

I put a sticker under my keyboard before I left in March 2020 and it was still there, nice and dusty last week.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

nvidiagouge posted:

The managerial class has completely lost touch with the working class on so many levels in this country it's ridiculous. Everything is designed at that HR level to appeal to HR managers, not to function properly down at the production line level. If you don't have working class people giving you input on your policies, they aren't going to be effective with working people. Most of them already hate everything delivered in the sterile HR-jargon type speech and sending down stuffy elites to preach in that style to the underclass is a doomed endeavor.

honestly i have less of a problem with the badly done HR diversity training and more just how loving lovely the whole "work place "training"/tutorial" market is. because i sat through hours of having to watch dipshit hacks gurgle about job productivity with bad jokes and etc and then having to write a mini paper on it. then i got like a Week of real training and then was tossed in the pool. my entire job is talking to people calling in about Unemployment issues and its pretty mentally depressing/boring/etc and we were barely trained on that outside like a week from the state. the rest was corpo bullshit about how to be a good worker.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 4, 2021

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

I put a sticker under my keyboard before I left in March 2020 and it was still there, nice and dusty last week.

There are 4 people on my team. 2 had covid in the last month. Management didn't tell us anything. I had to hear about it indirectly through the grapevine. When I asked why we weren't informed they told us that we should be observing social distancing and masking so we weren't at risk and if we weren't then we were at fault anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

nvidiagouge posted:

There are 4 people on my team. 2 had covid in the last month. Management didn't tell us anything. I had to hear about it indirectly through the grapevine. When I asked why we weren't informed they told us that we should be observing social distancing and masking so we weren't at risk and if we weren't then we were at fault anyway.

Lol