Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

StrangersInTheNight posted:

That said, Cali is the 5th largest economy in the world, it could easily set an example and wield its soft power by not allowing guns on sets and that would have a vastly bigger effect on the industry at large than any of the well-meaning but naive suggestions for better systematic enforcement of gun safety regulations.

The only people who should have a vested interest in keeping real guns on sets are the armorers and their union, bc that's their livelihood. Everybody else, why do you care if it's real or not?

At its core, this incident is about the blatant negligence towards safety that lead to a person's death. This kind of poo poo happens all the time with other stunts and we don't hear about them because they don't involve celebrities. Shoot, they drat near killed people with that gun multiple times on set and that wasn't newsworthy. They should absolutely stop using real, deadly weapons as decorations but the root of the problem here goes a lot deeper than just the guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Absolutely, that's my point - the people saying this is just something that happens once in a blue moon are wrong. This sort of poo poo happens all the time. It's not the exception, it's endemic to the industry - it's how it works, it IS the industry, taking these risks to see if they pay off. So advocating for no deadly firearms on set is just a single step in protecting folks, but not the real issue and definitely won't fix everything.

And saying asking for no deadly weapons on sets is an over-reaction because it's clearly been so organized and coordinated up until now is such a misunderstanding of how poo poo on sets actually goes, it makes me see red. Yeah, well when you've got pictures in your wallet of folks who've died on productions, you can talk about what's an over-reaction. I'm sick of my friends dying. Dying for your loving tv shows and movies.

I am eagerly watching how the IATSE vote goes.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Nov 4, 2021

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

would have a vastly bigger effect on the industry at large

By this you mean moving even more production to NC/GA?

e:
TV/Movie production needs to get hit with the OSHA stick hard though. The things allowed there are just insanity.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
kind of disturbed by the armorer's lawyer's argument. if she was pressured by the AD to do things that were not safe, she should have refused. that she didn't and someone died doesn't absolve her of responsibility, they're both responsible. and saying that well the guns were left alone for a couple hours - not acceptable! trying to say someone sabotaged her on purpose - obvious bullshit. was the accidental discharge that happened a day or two earlier also sabotage? pathetic. she obviously wasn't able to do her actual job, which is to keep people safe around the guns, to the point of negligence

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Lawyer: Instead of "not guilty" we're going with "least guilty."

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I don't think it has been posted in this thread but the costumer for Rust insists that the production was safe and that the people who walked off were just greedy

https://deadline.com/2021/11/alec-baldwin-shooting-rust-movie-defense-repost-terese-magpale-davis-halyna-hutchins-joel-souza-1234866703/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVybJ8FvsNY/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=a4a05a08-2486-4cea-9e96-049f0559a221

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

lol gotta love those anti-union narratives: THEY WANTED DIAMOND-CRUSTED BIDETS!

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

I’m hearing someone snuck onto the set and replaced the lead actor (gentle and kindhearted brandon gleeson) with thrill-killing lunatic Alec Baldwin and nobody realized until he got an ultra rare collateral damage kill achievement on the videographer

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

lol gotta love those anti-union narratives: THEY WANTED DIAMOND-CRUSTED BIDETS!

The producers really cared about our safety and that's why they ignored safety protocol because we were a whole half hour behind resulting in my coworkers death.

Also, the repeated unintended gunshots were just the guns being used in such a way that they were getting accidentally fired repeatedly and weren't broken, so clearly there were no gun safety issues there and it wasn't a red flag that the set was dangerous.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Absolutely no safety concerns on a set that literally killed a person; everybody knows that you can’t make a movie without working 12-hour days and at least three random gunshots.

Fuckin ivory tower liberals all up in my mentions.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

i'm no gunologist but i'm pretty sure they can be stored in places other than random piles where any plinker can get at them over lunch

nope. if you knew anything about guns, you'd know that this isn't the case. it's in the second amendment that ammunition can only be stored in random piles where any plinker can get at them over lunch

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
magpale

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Mozi posted:

kind of disturbed by the armorer's lawyer's argument. if she was pressured by the AD to do things that were not safe, she should have refused. that she didn't and someone died doesn't absolve her of responsibility, they're both responsible. and saying that well the guns were left alone for a couple hours - not acceptable! trying to say someone sabotaged her on purpose - obvious bullshit. was the accidental discharge that happened a day or two earlier also sabotage? pathetic. she obviously wasn't able to do her actual job, which is to keep people safe around the guns, to the point of negligence

remember that the lawyer is under no requirement to act in good faith or tell the truth when posturing for the press and speaking to the public. in the window of time before legal filings start flying and they actually wind up in a courtroom, they're going to throw as much poo poo at the wall as possible in an effort to bluff and bluster their client's way out of taking the fall.

punishedkissinger posted:

I don't think it has been posted in this thread but the costumer for Rust insists that the production was safe and that the people who walked off were just greedy

gonna climb way out on a limb here and suggest that if your lead actor shoots a couple of people and that wasn't even the first accidental discharge of the week, your set was definitionally "unsafe and chaotic".

less than three weeks between Alec blasting two people with a live handgun, and Alec taking to social media to retweet that actually, the set where I blasted two people with a live handgun was totally not unsafe and chaotic. if Halyna were still here with us, she'd be the first to tell you how well-rested and safe she felt, right up to the point where I blasted her

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

More like garbage pale

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Absolutely, that's my point - the people saying this is just something that happens once in a blue moon are wrong. This sort of poo poo happens all the time. It's not the exception, it's endemic to the industry - it's how it works, it IS the industry, taking these risks to see if they pay off. So advocating for no deadly firearms on set is just a single step in protecting folks, but not the real issue and definitely won't fix everything.

And saying asking for no deadly weapons on sets is an over-reaction because it's clearly been so organized and coordinated up until now is such a misunderstanding of how poo poo on sets actually goes, it makes me see red. Yeah, well when you've got pictures in your wallet of folks who've died on productions, you can talk about what's an over-reaction. I'm sick of my friends dying. Dying for your loving tv shows and movies.

I am eagerly watching how the IATSE vote goes.
At least this has started a grassroots movement, outside of IATSE so far, of crew, above and below the line, demanding no more deadly weapons on sets. I have no idea how much good it'll do but at the very least there's some big (industry) names attached to it so far. And there are currently running shows who already went that way and got rid of real weapons. About time too cause weapon days always made me super anxious from call to wrap.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
maybe alec just wanted to kill someone and felt this was the way to not get punished

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Blotto_Otter posted:

less than three weeks between Alec blasting two people with a live handgun, and Alec taking to social media to retweet that actually, the set where I blasted two people with a live handgun was totally not unsafe and chaotic. if Halyna were still here with us, she'd be the first to tell you how well-rested and safe she felt, right up to the point where I blasted her

yeah it seems kinda hosed up that he would repost this honestly

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Real gunshots look way better, so I think that there should actually be more real weapons and blanks in movies.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

All movies should use swords like Dune and The Scarlet Pimpernel

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Seems to me the real danger here is movies. Gun accidents only ever seem to occur during movie productions. We should ban all movies to keep our precious guns safe.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Caesar Saladin posted:

Real gunshots look way better, so I think that there should actually be more real weapons and blanks in movies.

Actors are terrible at acting the way that people react when they really get shot. I think we should be shooting more people in movies, not less.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
You know what, we have enough movies. No need to make any more.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
My favorite movie trivia is still that when they recorded the “Saruman dies” deleted scene, Sir Christopher Lee was instructed to scream his guts out, and he flat out refused and explained that he knows exactly what a dude getting stabbed in the lung sounds like.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I have some evidence that might show it wasn't safe.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
It was the safest gun death in years.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

no offense to costumers but i feel like they might not have the best perspective on whether the set is safe either

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

oh dope posted:

I'm sort of this opinion re: real guns on sets. Real guns aren't going to magically fix what's wrong with most modern action movies for the viewers that want that, and there's plenty of underappreciated gems from the 80s and 90s filled with squibs and real guns and absurd stunts and pyro

You could probably spend an entire week 10 hours a day watching Jackie Chan unsuccessfully trying to commit suicide on camera alone

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

its not like joining the union would have made her less of a dumbass, i feel like you don't even need training or education to know that you don't put the real murder bullets in the movie gun, she was just a huge dumbass

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

oh dope posted:

But there are still so many remakes that need to be done.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

no offense to costumers but i feel like they might not have the best perspective on whether the set is safe either

She was only working 11 1/2 hours a day!!

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

She was only working 11 1/2 hours a day!!

I also love the "56 hour weekend!" Making it sound like it was some kind of special long weekend. But if you're working an 8-5, your standard two-day weekend is 63 hours. This person is bragging about the equivalent of leaving work at 11:00pm on a Friday night and coming in at 7:00am Monday morning.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
the magpale is where you keep yr ammo

"Right to work! Right to work!" - Terry Magpale Maggoo, Costumer

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

How is it sabotage if in any normal circumstance, live bullets would've been caught by a competent armorer?

Or was the sabotage assuming the live bullet would've killed someone, so it's actually a murder attempt?

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

Aardvark! posted:

It was the safest gun death in years.

Well I can't argue with that

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Vitamin Me posted:

How is it sabotage if in any normal circumstance, live bullets would've been caught by a competent armorer?

Or was the sabotage assuming the live bullet would've killed someone, so it's actually a murder attempt?

Isn't there some old rule like "if your defense attorney is talking to the press, you have a bad defense attorney"? I have a feeling the armorer's representation is just as competent at their job as she was.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
lol they're really going with the 'agent provocateurs snuck in a live round into the dummy round box during this time of turmoil in the industry in order to bolster POLITICS' conspiracy angle lollllllllllll omg wow

"that's entertaaaaaainmeeeent" *top hat, jazz hands*

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 4, 2021

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Terry Ammomagazine has a fun social media history.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

LegalEagle just dropped a breakdown...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXmAeMQCvZQ

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"The set had safety first in mind. Did I gash myself on an incredibly sharp rotary cutter? Only twice, and we kept the cloth clean every time!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Facebook Aunt posted:

One of the reasons they hire young unexperienced or unqualified workers for a job is because they are easy to push around.

quote:

I'm 22 years young. Ready for another year of draining mens wallets. Which piggies are going to contribute to my birthday shenanigans? @slavekane #findom #paypiggieswanted #submit #drain #domme

https://archive.md/gBx2p