Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

Unless sync is a dealbreaker, you might as well just use Safari as it's really good on iOS 15 with extension support and a great tab switcher. I hope iOS FF gets up to par with it at some point.

Yeah. Send tab to device and synced bookmarks are really handy, but this is where the negotiating internal voices are at the moment. I can just use some link sharing app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I browse the forums at work on my phone (shocking, I know) using Firefox and tonight weird poo poo started happening with fonts.

Every few posts, the font will be slightly smaller. Sometimes two posts in a row, but I can't find any particular order to it.

Also, the options at the top of the page are now HUGE. I put the phone vertically to make it more obvious.

Non-vertical version:

I tried viewing the forums with Chrome and the Awful app and had no problems. Just Firefox. I updated a bunch of apps yesterday, so I'm guessing that changed something, but loving around with font sizing and selection in my phone's Settings didn't help.

I even did a full restart.

EDIT: and as usual, 30 seconds after posting that, I found the option on my phone's version of Firefox to turn _off_ automatic font resizing under Settings > Accessibility. And that's fixed it.

Still don't know why random posts were slightly shrunken, though. Oh well, it's fixed now and can't possibly ever come back to haunt me.

\/\/\/ Thanks for the help.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Oct 13, 2021

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I browse the forums at work on my phone (shocking, I know) using Firefox and tonight weird poo poo started happening with fonts.

Every few posts, the font will be slightly smaller. Sometimes two posts in a row, but I can't find any particular order to it.

Also, the options at the top of the page are now HUGE. I put the phone vertically to make it more obvious.

Non-vertical version:

I tried viewing the forums with Chrome and the Awful app and had no problems. Just Firefox. I updated a bunch of apps yesterday, so I'm guessing that changed something, but loving around with font sizing and selection in my phone's Settings didn't help.

I even did a full restart.

The enterprise web monitor plugin is messing with the stylesheet.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
is there any way to not have Firefox close when I Alt+W with only one tab left? like it goes to the home page instead?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Zam Wesell posted:

is there any way to not have Firefox close when I Alt+W with only one tab left? like it goes to the home page instead?
Keep a blank tab pinned?

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Zam Wesell posted:

browser.tabs.closeWindowWithLastTab

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

Storm One posted:

browser.tabs.closeWindowWithLastTab

Perfect, cheers!

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
I use 3 monitors - can I make a shortcut or set the default launch option on Firefox to open a specific 2 tabs on each monitor?

Like I open whatever shortcut for:

Monitor 1: Tab1:Work thing Tab2: Work thing
Monitor 2: Tab1: SA Tab2: Youtube
Monitor 3: Tab1: Whatsapp web Tab2: Telegram web

But specifically always on those displays

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I have Firefox to open previous tabs/windows on start, and that remembers the window positions including which monitor the windows were on.
The trick is just that you can't quit Firefox by closing the windows then, you need to open the hamburger menu and select Quit. (The hotkey Ctrl+Shift+Q should also work.)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Another way might be to create a shortcut with long options using --new-window and --new-tab and/or profiles.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

nielsm posted:

I have Firefox to open previous tabs/windows on start, and that remembers the window positions including which monitor the windows were on.
The trick is just that you can't quit Firefox by closing the windows then, you need to open the hamburger menu and select Quit. (The hotkey Ctrl+Shift+Q should also work.)

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Another way might be to create a shortcut with long options using --new-window and --new-tab and/or profiles.

These are both great suggestions - I'll tinker with both of these. Thank you!

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
No idea what they did with FF94.0 but it feels snappy as f*** now.

And I'm normally the guy who when seeing those "feels snappier" guys with no actual benchmark comparisons just rolling his his eyes so hard that it gives me a headache.

Well that guy is me this time, I'm the placebo guy, eating my sugar pills.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Im_Special posted:

No idea what they did with FF94.0 but it feels snappy as f*** now.

And I'm normally the guy who when seeing those "feels snappier" guys with no actual benchmark comparisons just rolling his his eyes so hard that it gives me a headache.

Well that guy is me this time, I'm the placebo guy, eating my sugar pills.

Yeah the restart was quicker than it had been in forever for me. Only thing worth pointing out so far is that the warning when closing a multitabbed window is no longer on by default and you need to switch it back on if you need it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
That's good to know. That warning's saved me more than once.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Szmitten posted:

Yeah the restart was quicker than it had been in forever for me. Only thing worth pointing out so far is that the warning when closing a multitabbed window is no longer on by default and you need to switch it back on if you need it.

the "you will receive fewer notifications!" justification for this from mozilla is... well, very mozilla, but i suppose they left the options in and not gated behind about :config

disabling that when the "close entire browser" hotkey is right next to the "close current tab" hotkey is pretty silly

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

It's doubly weird because the notification has a checkbox right in itself to disable the warning.
So, if you hate it, you'd have to only see it once, instead of diving into the options screen.

Maybe they were running low on their bad idea quota.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Geemer posted:

It's doubly weird because the notification has a checkbox right in itself to disable the warning.
So, if you hate it, you'd have to only see it once, instead of diving into the options screen.

Maybe they were running low on their bad idea quota.

People sadly tend to miss those kinds of options in their rage to get rid of the pop-up that interrupted them. Seriously.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Szmitten posted:

I'm a hopeless tab hoarder so this is good to know, but the bug that corrupted "restore previous session" is fixed a long time ago so you don't lose anything if you accidentally close your 40-tab monstrosity.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
also annoyed at insertion of the tiny "Firefox Suggest" text between the naive hostname autocomplete and awesomebar results, which doesn't really matter but it's throwing off my visual memory of how that UI element "should" look. separating those two is arguably useful since they are different, but a thin dividing line would maybe look less stupid. petty as hell grievance though, I know.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ola posted:

I'm a hopeless tab hoarder so this is good to know, but the bug that corrupted "restore previous session" is fixed a long time ago so you don't lose anything if you accidentally close your 40-tab monstrosity.
I'm a tab hoarder too, but I've started using pinned tabs for all the things I want to save - so even if a session does break, everything still opens.

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

also annoyed at insertion of the tiny "Firefox Suggest" text between the naive hostname autocomplete and awesomebar results, which doesn't really matter but it's throwing off my visual memory of how that UI element "should" look. separating those two is arguably useful since they are different, but a thin dividing line would maybe look less stupid. petty as hell grievance though, I know.
browser.search.suggest.enabled=false :science:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

the UI element is the same regardless. just regular old awesomebar results, but now branded with something that's not actually in use :)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

the UI element is the same regardless. just regular old awesomebar results, but now branded with something that's not actually in use :)
I set that OID, and mine looks like it did before. :confused:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I have that one, as well as these suggestion-related URL bar options set to false, and I still see "Firefox Suggest" as well. It doesn't bother me, though some of the stuff these options did used to.

code:
browser.urlbar.searchSuggestionsChoice
browser.urlbar.showSearchSuggestionsFirst
browser.urlbar.suggest.engines
browser.urlbar.suggest.quicksuggest
browser.urlbar.suggest.quicksuggest.sponsored
browser.urlbar.suggest.searches
browser.urlbar.suggest.topsites

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

These are all the ones that contain the word suggest, that I've modified:

code:
browser.search.suggest.enabled
browser.urlbar.suggest.engines
browser.urlbar.suggest.openpage
browser.urlbar.suggest.searches
browser.urlbar.suggest.topsites
browser.urlbar.timesBeforeHidingSuggestionsHint

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

astral posted:

I have that one, as well as these suggestion-related URL bar options set to false, and I still see "Firefox Suggest" as well. It doesn't bother me, though some of the stuff these options did used to.

You want the not-at-all confusingly named browser.urlbar.groupLabels.enabled set to false to get rid of that "Firefox Suggest" label.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Anyone got a way to get rid of the new ad in private browsing?

Firefox devs: Always shoving unwanted garbage in.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

endlessmonotony posted:

Anyone got a way to get rid of the new ad in private browsing?

Firefox devs: Always shoving unwanted garbage in.

Somehow even worse, I see it for a fraction of a second when opening a new private tab before it disappears on its own. :psyduck:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Setting browser.privatebrowsing.vpnpromourl to a blank string seems to mostly resolve it.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

astral posted:

Setting browser.privatebrowsing.vpnpromourl to a blank string seems to mostly resolve it.

Sure does, thanks. Just promoEnabled to false didn't. Firefox.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Geemer posted:

You want the not-at-all confusingly named browser.urlbar.groupLabels.enabled set to false to get rid of that "Firefox Suggest" label.
What the gently caress, Mozilla?

astral posted:

What the gently caress, Mozilla?!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh for gently caress'S SAKE. Firefox just updated to 94.0, and changed a bunch of small look&feel stuff, AGAIN. I'm on Ubuntu so I may be behind in the curve, hopefully you've all seen & dealt with this crap already.

New page / tab shortcuts are all shrunk, with micro-sized icons in them instead of fullsize previews or expanded icons as per before. Other small stuff on the SA forum in particular include dropdown menus being different (no biggie) [edit: removed], and a few other image/buttons look wrong. All minor stuff compared to the new page / tab thing looking fugly for no reason.

If I find a fix to that only firefox/unity menu issue I swear I'll hop to waterfox and never look back, this is really antagonizing constantly having to fix things.

vv edit: cheers, after testing it's only the megathreads suffering from slowdown which apparently I never noticed before. But yea, that's not really an issue compared to constantly have to arm-wrestle to keep the new page tab and navigation bar acting the same.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 4, 2021

astral
Apr 26, 2004

If you're experiencing slowdown with the pages dropdown in threads on SA, I'd like to note that vb2 abused dropdown menus to create those and they aren't really set up to handle threads with many hundreds or thousands of pages very well. On older/slower computers, or especially on mobile devices, it can get pretty bad. Firefox at least seems to defer dealing with most of that until you interact with the popup menu, so it doesn't impact all the page loads where you don't touch them and only slows things down on the rare occasion when you open the menu.

In time, SA will replace that style of page navigation with something that isn't a popup menu.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

astral posted:

In time, SA will replace that style of page navigation with something that isn't a popup menu.
Can't wait for all the opinions on proper pagination.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Move the slider to visit the page you wish to view.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Click one button to get a new random page number, then click another button to actually go to the page

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

edit the URL directly, as god intended

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Click and hold to count upwards; wait for the number to roll over if you want to go back.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Why, when finding that the software doesn't handle dropdowns for thousands of pages very well, didn't the coders just change it to a text field? I would even like that more than a dropdown regardless.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

zachol posted:

Why, when finding that the software doesn't handle dropdowns for thousands of pages very well, didn't the coders just change it to a text field? I would even like that more than a dropdown regardless.

"It still 'works'" and "there are way more urgent problems" were probably as powerful motivators in the past as they are now, plus the need to ensure that such a fundamental change wouldn't accidentally gently caress up the experience for people using an unofficial third-party app or browser addon. For example, this may have already been resolved by now, but I believe at one point one of them determined the total number of pages by counting the number of elements in the popup. :psyduck:

As mentioned, it's planned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Plus for a long time the forum database or server or whatever choked on threads with more than a couple hundred pages, and mods would lock threads that got to like 400 pages preemptively.

So when ZDR or someone fixed that issue and we could have 1000 page threads, everyone was so happy that the page dropdown locking up our browser was dismissed as a minor inconvenience.