Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Healbot posted:

It's not.

It is.

They very similar series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

are DQ-nerds just mad that people know what final fantasy is, unlike DQ

because final fantasy is by far the best possible comparison point for DQ

I wholeheartedly agree, this comparison makes complete and total sense

Edit:

Andrast posted:

It is.

They very similar series

:frogout:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Andrast posted:

are smt nerds just mad that people know what persona is, unlike smt

because persona is by the best possible comparison point for smt5

Nah. Persona is a good comparison point for SMT but reviewers have a history of criticizing SMT for having things that make it distinct to Persona and likewise.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Which fusions in SMTV get the hottest anime demon babes

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Andrast posted:

:wrong:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Andrast posted:

Yes and agreed

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
How about reviewing things based on its own merits without comparing it to another series which doesn’t help an outsider who doesn’t know what the other series is

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Nah. Persona is a good comparison point for SMT but reviewers have a history of criticizing SMT for having things that make it distinct to Persona and likewise.

and that's fine? there's a reason persona is much more popular than smt

mostly thing seems like people desperately trying to dunk on reviewers for having pretty reasonable opinions

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Andrast posted:

mostly thing seems like people trying to dunk on reviewers for having pretty reasonable opinions

They are not reasonable opinions though lol. It's a super lazy poor critique.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I said come in! posted:

They are not reasonable opinions though lol. It's a super lazy poor critique.

yeah how dare they prefer some other thing to a slightly different thing

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

cant wait to play the dark souls of persona, the game with no heart and upbeat music.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

mostly thing seems like people desperately trying to dunk on reviewers for having pretty reasonable opinions

nice try Mr. Video Game Reviewer, but your mask is slipping

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Andrast posted:

Andrast posted:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Andrast posted:

It's basically never reasonable to review something by saying it should have been a different game with entirely different design goals

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Andrast posted:

If you put the things that make Persona unique into SMT you get... Persona so why make a SMT game. They have different goals. I do agree SMT games could use a bit more characterization, but saying "SMT is a worse Persona because I can't kiss waifus" is just bad.

okay who the gently caress said the OST is easily forgettable i have to show them my samurai skills

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Using Persona as a point of reference is fine. Complaining that SMT is not persona because you like persona more is dumb, that's like saying all movies should be about superheroes making quips because marvel is populer.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Andrast posted:

This but unironically lmao. It's literally a terrible writing style that needs to go away. It's a sign of someone who doesn't know what they are talking about and is in the wrong field of work.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Andrast posted:

There's giving an unfamiliar audience a comparison for understanding and then there's not judging a work by its own merits. That's the issue.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

sometimes a game falls down on its own merits and people illustrate that by comparing the game's failings to games that are better

when a platformer sucks and somebody compares it to a good platformer, that is not the same as refusing to evaluate it on its own merits

i havent read the reviews or played the games so can't say whether the reviewers are being dumb or not. on the one hand, game reviewers are frequently dumb, but on the other hand people who get mad at game reviewers frequently are as well

ive never played an smt game. i liked p4 golden. ill probably give it a shot, but probably not at $60 cause its almost certain i wont be able to devote jrpg levels of time to it. but when its $15 or $20 ill prob give it a shot!

Detective No. 27 posted:

There's giving an unfamiliar audience a comparison for understanding and then there's not judging a work by its own merits. That's the issue.

:yeah:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Andrast posted:

Saying something is not as good as another thing by just saying it’s worse without explaining why isn’t a good critique

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Andrast posted:

SCTV > SMTV

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

hatty posted:

Saying something is not as good as another thing by just saying it’s not as good without explaining why isn’t a good critique

i'm sure the meme image with a few sentences encapsulated the entire essences of those reviews and the reviewers said nothing else in them

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Andrast posted:

No one cares if they prefer other thing. The issue is they are comparing thing to unrelated thing instead of reviewing it either on its own merits or in relation to past entries. I don't even care about Persona or SMT. This is just being lazy and putting out a soundbite.

Why are people insistent on being an rear end in this thread?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Also, who do I have to bribe to make a HD release of Devil Summoner 2 happen?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Walla posted:

switch thread is a hostile zone, years of bad ports and crap nintendo online have jaded the souls

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Achmed Jones posted:

sometimes a game falls down on its own merits and people illustrate that by comparing the game's failings to games that are better

when a platformer sucks and somebody compares it to a good platformer, that is not the same as refusing to evaluate it on its own merits

its the difference between saying you liked Sonic 2 more than Mario World and saying that Mario World was bad because it didn't have Sonic 2's movement system

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Walla posted:

No one cares if they prefer other thing. The issue is they are comparing thing to unrelated thing instead of reviewing it either on its own merits or in relation to past entries. I don't even care about Persona or SMT. This is just being lazy and putting out a soundbite.

Yeah people aren't lazily trying to dunk on reviewers at all here

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

Walla posted:

Why, it's almost as if an open discussion forum allows people with dissenting opinions to post them! :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx-Jz_SKBY0

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
oh no not the reviewers

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Comparing a new thing to a popular thing that is made by the same studio and also shares a lot of mechanics is an incredibly sane point of comparison to make, in fact.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Also, who do I have to bribe to make a HD release of Devil Summoner 2 happen?

me, hmu for paypal info but i only take friends and family

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Achmed Jones posted:

i havent read the reviews or played the games so can't say whether the reviewers are being dumb or not. on the one hand, game reviewers are frequently dumb, but on the other hand people who get mad at game reviewers frequently are as well

ive never played an smt game. i liked p4 golden. ill probably give it a shot, but probably not at $60 cause its almost certain i wont be able to devote jrpg levels of time to it. but when its $15 or $20 ill prob give it a shot!

:yeah:

Uh.. I would be careful with that decision. I've tried games from both series and I really liked SMT and coouldn't really get into Persona. If you liked P4 there's a good chance SMT V will work on you like holy water on a vampire.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Anyway, can't wait to play some smt5 next week

looks great

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Srice posted:

Comparing a new thing to a popular thing that is made by the same studio and also shares a lot of mechanics is an incredibly sane point of comparison to make, in fact.

Except those aren't the things being lazily criticized.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Also if you like turn based RPGs but don't want one that's like 30 hours long Fuga: Melodies of Steel (aka the game where you fire kemonos at nazis) was enjoyable and not long by RPG standards

I looked this up and I've looked at it before but I was worried it was going to be some cheap crap game. It's actually good?

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Happy to help, hopefully something in there will pique your interest. Also it's good for me to keep handy on my first page of posting in case people ask for games in the future. It feels fairly comprehensive.

I have Steamworld Quest and Heist. They're some of my favorites. I think I really need to get SoR4. I bought the Double Dragon and Kunio Kun collection and my son loves it but it's buggy as hell.

Thanks again!

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day

hatty posted:

Saying something is not as good as another thing by just saying it’s worse without explaining why isn’t a good critique

the IGN review goes into a couple specific things from persona they would like to see (these two examples are about grinding and plot pace)

quote:

I think about the Showtime attacks and unstable shadows added in the Royal version of Persona 5 as examples of how Atlus has tackled this problem successfully in the past.

quote:

It takes upwards of 20 hours to find any personal motivation beyond survival and figuring out what's going on, and the companion characters are also very under-developed.

I feel the criticisms are fair for the most part, but the "persona without the heart" subhead is going to get people mad

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Persona is far more popular than SMT, but making your review about comparison between the two series is extremely dumb primarily because most people have never played either. Especially most Nintendo owners.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

SMT5 in a week and I haven't even beaten Dread yet.

Nintendo Switch has too many good games.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
This is getting dumb again. Be civil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Persona is far more popular than SMT, but making your review about comparison between the two series is extremely dumb primarily because most people have never played either. Especially most Nintendo owners.

That's not true. The last 2 mainline games were on the 3DS, as well as a number of spin offs. Plenty of Nintendo players are familiar with SMT.