Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Am I wrong or does template switch between "choose one" and "choose up to one"?

Is there a significant difference there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Am I wrong or does template switch between "choose one" and "choose up to one"?

Is there a significant difference there?

Choose one forces a choice, choose up to one means you don't have to choose anything if you don't want to.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
usually you'll see "up to one" templated so that you can still cast the spell with zero targets, so that if (say) you had a spell that would put +1/+1 counters on a creature and draw a card you could still draw without pumping your opponent's creature if you didn't have any

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Oh, duh. I should drink some water. Cheers

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

gently caress YOU I'M AN ANTEATER A KRAKEN

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

SCUTTLE AT ME BRO

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

PleasantDirge posted:

Best I can usually find is searching youtube for the deck name sorted by most recent and then filter out the no name videos. That being said I'm pretty sure Jeff Hoogland has the most up to date play through a modern league so it's going to be difficult to watch on several levels. I just finished burn to get into modern night at my store a few weeks ago and am in the same spot

:cheerdoge: :shibe: Good luck! Have you played it yet?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

ilmucche posted:

Could you hexmage this

Yes but you still have to wait until your upkeep for it to trigger

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Pablo Nergigante posted:

:cheerdoge: :shibe: Good luck! Have you played it yet?

No! I'm in school full time and I'm still not the best student so I'm super busy but I'm cised to play over break now and for Xmas.

I'm really looking forward to it BC modern and legacy nights are the only ultra competitive nights and I want to practice for larger events

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

PleasantDirge posted:

No! I'm in school full time and I'm still not the best student so I'm super busy but I'm cised to play over break now and for Xmas.

I'm really looking forward to it BC modern and legacy nights are the only ultra competitive nights and I want to practice for larger events

Yeah same. Dunno if your LGS is doing one but Store Championships are Dec. 4-5 this year and mine picked modern as the format. Entering gets you a promo Arbor Elf, top 8 gets a Collected Company and winner gets a Wurmcoil Engine

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

mcmagic posted:

I can't think of 1 good 4 mana lord.

e: as an aside, is there a way to see your win streak or record in previous X games in Arena? I think I've won my last 25 or so BO1s playing mono black and I wanna check.

Salvor_Hardin fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 4, 2021

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Defeatist Elitist posted:

It punishes fetchlands because fetches go to the yard, right?

That's what I assumed the original post meant.

I just don't see how that's punishing fetches. If you wanted this interaction, couldn't you just play fetches yourself?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Salvor_Hardin posted:

e: as an aside, is there a way to see your win streak or record in previous X games in Arena? I think I've won my last 25 or so BO1s playing mono black and I wanna check.

The game keeps incredibly bloated logs somewhere. (You should clean them out but I always look it up).
17 lands or untapped gg does it for you if you are so inclined

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Captain Invictus posted:

I really really hope this is a corpse-a-pult or something similar, a defender thing or whatever that buffs zombies, instead of something that gives zombies wings

Wrong card but right concept.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

The omen counter card a forgettable blue uncommon

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Soul-Guide Lantern but it kills your graveyard too

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
So noted scumbag cheater Matthew Folkes apparently plays FnB now and was cheating it up on camera last weekend en route to winning a few thousand bucks and they are taking a pass on doing anything about it lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mcmagic posted:

So noted scumbag cheater Matthew Folkes apparently plays FnB now and was cheating it up on camera last weekend en route to winning a few thousand bucks and they are taking a pass on doing anything about it lol

Everything involved with FnB seems lovely/shady tbh

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

mcmagic posted:

A faithful successor to Magic.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

Twitter has been pretty spot on.

https://twitter.com/matthewfoulkes/status/1455594870685454338?s=20
https://twitter.com/BasicMountain/status/1455614265994342402?s=20

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

When I was 17 I came in fourth at a vintage tourney at the now defunct Neutral Ground NYC against a bunch of dudes in their 20s and 30s

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.
It's kinda funny that as recently as Eldraine people were going "oof Questing Beast has eight lines of text", and now looking at the spoilers even loving uncommons have six or seven lines even without reminder text and mythics are like eight lines per side (admittedly Strixhaven was also similar levels)

They need to size down the default font size soon if this keeps going on

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

When I was 17... it was a very good year
It was a very good year for high school dudes with mono black decks
Instead of having sex
I played GTA III
When I was 17

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

best card in the set

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I will be continuing not playing FnB.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

ALLAN LASSUS posted:

It's kinda funny that as recently as Eldraine people were going "oof Questing Beast has eight lines of text", and now looking at the spoilers even loving uncommons have six or seven lines even without reminder text and mythics are like eight lines per side (admittedly Strixhaven was also similar levels)

It's definitely becoming a problem. I think they need to find some way to expand the scope of the game to open design space instead of coming up with and printing more and more specific scenarios on cards.

I especially hate when a planeswalker hits the field and I have to read its entire book of text to know what it does.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

I will be continuing not playing FnB.

If it turns out to be a fun game, I will play it. I have no brand loyalty.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Instead of having sex
I played GTA III
When I was 17

Lmfao

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

HootTheOwl posted:

The game keeps incredibly bloated logs somewhere. (You should clean them out but I always look it up).
17 lands or untapped gg does it for you if you are so inclined

Looks like neither work backwards. Oh well, thanks for the tip.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Instead of having sex
I played GTA III
When I was 17

lmao

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

ALLAN LASSUS posted:

They just need to stop printing poo poo that makes you read and then is also boring imo. Questing Beast is a lot of text but it all kicks rear end.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Hasn't Maro essentially admitted that printing walls of text is a function of running out of design space? If that's so, it doesn't make sense to think it's going to go away any time soon, if ever.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

"lets hold up a ton of good werewolf cards for crimson vow, the vampire set"

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Having no werewolves in Crimson Vow would leave a gaping hole in a tribal format though, what was the alternative? I do think the theming is obviously stronger/better here than in Midnight Hunt, so I'm not saying they did a perfect job or anything, just that dumping every werewolf worth playing in Midnight Hunt doesn't seem like the answer either.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Don't think I've seen the counterpart in here:

Kind of odd Olivia's getup is white, and Edgar's is black, figure either Groom's Finery would be red, so it's like both characters are full Mardu, or that both should be each character's non-black color.

Anyway, seems like you're in MCL if you can draft them together, they seem pretty underwhelming on their own, especially with the color requirement for pretty basic equipment.

Also I'll enjoy putting the gown on apparently male creatures. I am British, it's my culture.

Edgar himself is odd, 4 mana lord is bleh, can you get anything out of him dying, giving tokens and flipping back to make them 2/2s? Probably too long to spend on this stuff.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 4, 2021

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

mcmagic posted:

This guy, lmao

https://www.hipstersofthecoast.com/2018/09/matthew-foulkes-suspended-for-18-months-for-attempting-to-steal-flooded-strand-promo-mtg/

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.

fadam posted:

They just need to stop printing poo poo that makes you read and then is also boring imo. Questing Beast is a lot of text but it all kicks rear end.

Yeah, at least Questing Beast was good, unlike the worst STX deans with ”ok so basically it’s a blue Gray Ogre” after reading a goddamn ridiculous wall of text effect

For mythics the stuffed text boxes are ok I guess but yeah it’s really starting to be a bit problematic with uncommons and some rares

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ALLAN LASSUS posted:

Yeah, at least Questing Beast was good, unlike the worst STX deans with ”ok so basically it’s a blue Gray Ogre” after reading a goddamn ridiculous wall of text effect

For mythics the stuffed text boxes are ok I guess but yeah it’s really starting to be a bit problematic with uncommons and some rares

Sure, it was a gray orgre, but if the stars aligned, suddenly: Back breaking effect.
...Once per turn.