Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Alaois posted:

they made him wrestle Big Cass like 4 times in WWE and every match sucked unbelievably bad

This can't be overstated. Bryan returned at WrestleMania in 2018, they threw him into the Cass feud after that, and the matches were so bad that people legitimately said "if this is the best Bryan can do, maybe he shouldn't have come back."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
His first NXT-era match was actually against Jericho, and was a nice little six minute match. Then he started getting squashed every week by Wade Barrett, Great Khali, Darren Young, Michael Tarver, William Regal, Skip Sheffield, etc. in under two minutes. Then he had a semi-competitive match against Batista on Raw. In between he lost a bunch of tag and battle royal and handicap matches.

His first win after all of that was beating the Miz on Raw in two minutes with a roll-up after which he got beat up by Miz and berated by Michael Cole. Then he got eliminated from NXT and disappeared for a month before the Nexus debuted and he got fired.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The Big Cass matches might be the worst competitive matches of his career post King of Indies 2001. He managed to get something entertaining out of Kamala but no one liked the Cass matches.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i liked the bit where he had to grab cass’s hand and remind him to struggle against the Yes Lock

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

i liked the bit where he had to grab cass’s hand and remind him to struggle against the Yes Lock

You can't teach that.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Is there anything more embarrassing than listening to WWE commentators try to put over dance segments in the ring?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Is there anything more embarrassing than listening to WWE commentators try to put over dance segments in the ring?

Listening to them try to call a match

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Pope Corky the IX posted:

watching wwe dance segments on tv

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Who are the top five best workers in history? I figure some order of Bret Hart, Ric Flair, Daniel Bryan, then it gets muddier for me. Maybe William Regal? I'm sure there are Japanese wrestlers that fit but I don't know anything about them.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Who are the top five best workers in history? I figure some order of Bret Hart, Ric Flair, Daniel Bryan, then it gets muddier for me. Maybe William Regal? I'm sure there are Japanese wrestlers that fit but I don't know anything about them.

Regal isn't even in the conversation. Not even close. You have obvious people like Misawa, Kawada, Kobashi, and Liger who crush Bret Hart's output. Guys like Dynamite Kid and Tiger Mask who were so good they changed wrestling completely but had short peaks. Then incredible women like Manami Toyota and Aja Kong who had long careers, so many others who had short careers due to forced retirement and you realize very quickly that compiling a top 5 list is basically impossible because you are comparing so many different styles that it's impossible to keep track of.

And that doesn't even cover Mexico where you have wrestlers like Negro Casas who was one of the best in the world at his peak and is still really good in his 60s! Or Hijo Del Santo who was maybe the best in the world in the 90s. Or El Dandy who was maybe the best in the world in the early 90s.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
The best worker in history was a Russian guy called Alexey Stakhanov

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

Regal isn't even in the conversation. Not even close. You have obvious people like Misawa, Kawada, Kobashi, and Liger who crush Bret Hart's output. Guys like Dynamite Kid and Tiger Mask who were so good they changed wrestling completely but had short peaks. Then incredible women like Manami Toyota and Aja Kong who had long careers, so many others who had short careers due to forced retirement and you realize very quickly that compiling a top 5 list is basically impossible because you are comparing so many different styles that it's impossible to keep track of.

And that doesn't even cover Mexico where you have wrestlers like Negro Casas who was one of the best in the world at his peak and is still really good in his 60s! Or Hijo Del Santo who was maybe the best in the world in the 90s. Or El Dandy who was maybe the best in the world in the early 90s.

El Dandy!? But he's a cruiserweight!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, a Top 5 is too few spots when you're trying to compare things like all-time greatest match vs. being consistently great over a long time. Not to mention judging wrestlers by the standards of their time.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

I think Regal might be in the conversation if you limit it to people who were featured players on television in major American companies (WWF/E and WCW). Regal would have likely been a world champion at some point (or many points) if he hadn't had bad drug problems. If you look at American wrestling in the 1990s, Regal was one of the better workers. If you allow Japanese guys or indy workers that never got to the big time, then absolutely not.

I think it kinda depends on how you define worker. Do you adjust for the way wrestling was at the time? Workrates have gone up tremendously in the last 20 years, at least in the US.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Shawn Michaels, Randy Orton, Edge, Undertaker, Roman.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Even just limiting to North America its hard to place Regal in the top 5 cause his demons really did trip him up.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, a Top 5 is too few spots when you're trying to compare things like all-time greatest match vs. being consistently great over a long time. Not to mention judging wrestlers by the standards of their time.
You also gotta keep track of what's been preserved on tape or any blindspots. Like for example those gifs of French catch posted monthly or so to twitter that bring up questions of how that stuff was lost to the dustbin of history or who carried on that tradition into the future and so on.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Would Regal be in the running for top five/ten best British wrestlers ever? Because I love Regal and the competition outside of like Dynamite Kid is probably not that great lol.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
5. Fit Finlay
4. Dynamite Kid
3. Kendo Nagasaki
2. Giant Haystacks
1. BIG DADDY

Sorry, no room for Regal.

Coaaab posted:

You also gotta keep track of what's been preserved on tape or any blindspots. Like for example those gifs of French catch posted monthly or so to twitter that bring up questions of how that stuff was lost to the dustbin of history or who carried on that tradition into the future and so on.
Link?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hellblazer187 posted:

I think Regal might be in the conversation if you limit it to people who were featured players on television in major American companies (WWF/E and WCW). Regal would have likely been a world champion at some point (or many points) if he hadn't had bad drug problems. If you look at American wrestling in the 1990s, Regal was one of the better workers. If you allow Japanese guys or indy workers that never got to the big time, then absolutely not.

I think it kinda depends on how you define worker. Do you adjust for the way wrestling was at the time? Workrates have gone up tremendously in the last 20 years, at least in the US.

Name a Match of the Year Caliber match Regal has been in on American TV. Then try to come up with as many (in just the 90s) great Regal matches as great Flair, Vader, Benoit, Hart, Michaels, Mysterio, Malenko, Guerrero, wrestlers. And then people like Hennig who flamed out but still had many more great matches in the 90s than Regala. He's not close to the top in American wrestling in the 90s.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Would Regal be in the running for top five/ten best British wrestlers ever? Because I love Regal and the competition outside of like Dynamite Kid is probably not that great lol.

Sure. He's behind Dynamite, Saint, Robinson and some others but in that next group.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Stuff like this

https://twitter.com/allan_cheapshot/status/1454730703309099008?t=nsPZHPjWDxW6PvewbDynfQ&s=19

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

pwo does a greatest wrestler ever project/poll every 10 years here's 2016's top 20

20) Tatsumi Fujinami (9429 points)
19) Arn Anderson (9443 points)
18) Randy Savage (10548 points)
17) Bret Hart (10757 points)
16) Nick Bockwinkel (10799 points)
15) Ricky Steamboat (11050 points)
14) Vader (11140 points)
13) Genichiro Tenryu (11318 points)
12) Eddy Guerrero (11369 points)
11) Jumbo Tsuruta (11538 points)

10) Jerry Lawler (11603 points)
9) Toshiaki Kawada (11784 points)
8) Kenta Kobashi (11898 points)
7) Rey Mysterio Jr. (11910 points)
6) Jushin Liger (12291 points)
5) Daniel Bryan (12302 points)
4) Mitsuharu Misawa (13216 points)
3) Stan Hansen (13813 points)
2) Terry Funk (14452 points)
1) Ric Flair (15261 points)

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Once again Taue gets snubbed because his contempories are slam dunk top 10 all-time

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
now i wanna see a lucha smark list

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRafTer posted:

Sure. He's behind Dynamite, Saint, Robinson and some others but in that next group.

I'd put Rollerball Rocco in there for his work as Black Tiger if nothing else.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Coaaab posted:

now i wanna see a lucha smark list

in terms of greatest luchador, it will eternally be

5) bunch of guys in conversation
4) el solitario
3) mil mascaras
2) blue demon
1) el santo

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Smoking Crow posted:

in terms of greatest luchador, it will eternally be

1) el santo

I wish I could be even half as cool as El Santo.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I don't know if its directly true but Foley has a story in his first book about how when Mil Mascaras was in the 96 (97?) Rumble the guys agenting the Rumble came to him and asked who he'd like to eliminate him. Mil apparently said the only person he'd let eliminate him from a battle royal was Andre the Giant and Andre was dead. He later decided to just climb to the top and jump out himself.

That's GOAT level big timing.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

El Santo was/is a cultural icon on the level of Michael Jordan or Babe Ruth. The president of Mexico went to his funeral!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

ZSJ is definitely in that conversation on a pure technical level.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

ospreay

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

I don't know if its directly true but Foley has a story in his first book about how when Mil Mascaras was in the 96 (97?) Rumble the guys agenting the Rumble came to him and asked who he'd like to eliminate him. Mil apparently said the only person he'd let eliminate him from a battle royal was Andre the Giant and Andre was dead. He later decided to just climb to the top and jump out himself.

That's GOAT level big timing.

Mick also wrestled Mil in WCW when they were doing a Texas swing. Mil refused to give him any offense whatsoever, so when Mil "dropkiss"ed him off the apron he did the Nestea Plunge spot to the concrete and completely overshadowed everything Mil did in the match.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

rad

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

If you're going by MRT's criteria of big MOTYCs he probably ranks above Regal, yeah, unfortunately.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Everything I've heard about Mascaras indicates that he's both a legendary performer and a legendary mark for himself.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

SG Bamboo posted:

Once again Taue gets snubbed because his contempories are slam dunk top 10 all-time

He can have Lawler's spot.

King Of Coons
May 5, 2006
Prince devitt aj styles Adam cole Kenny omega jay white

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I slam "Volk Han" down onto the table and let the rabble fight amongst themselves for the remaining four slots.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Tanahashi and Okada should absolutely be in the discussion, and the fact that they weren't even in 2016 is loving absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I respect the WON HOF discussions and all that (and I enjoy reading them!) but I came to the decision some time back that you yourself should just like who you like first and foremost. Especially if you're like me and you don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of world wrestling through the ages. The whole thing is more fun that way.