Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Le crueset Dutch oven? If you’re not paying for it, might as well get the nicest one

Same thing with a set of All-Clad d5 pots and pans.

A nice electric kettle (maybe even a goose neck) and a “real” Chemex (E. Sorry, the distinction is “hand blown”)

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I don't know brands but this is 100% a situation where I'd ask someone for a nice sous vide.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
My counters are currently poo poo (tiled for some godawful reason) and I'm not in the position to change them. What's a good table that's easy to clean and sturdy enough to knead dough/do other food prep on? Doesn't need to be easily portable but it would be a plus.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

AnonSpore posted:

My counters are currently poo poo (tiled for some godawful reason) and I'm not in the position to change them. What's a good table that's easy to clean and sturdy enough to knead dough/do other food prep on? Doesn't need to be easily portable but it would be a plus.

What dimensions are you working with?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Thinking something like 6 by 3 feet or so, maybe a bit smaller. Not very picky about the dimensions but somewhere thereabouts sounds about right.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

Pizza stone

Pizza STEEL. Slam dunk at it's price point and way, way better than a stone.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fart Car '97 posted:

Pizza STEEL. Slam dunk at it's price point and way, way better than a stone.

Yep. And I’d replace the Peugeot pepper mill with a Unicorn Magnum

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

AnonSpore posted:

Thinking something like 6 by 3 feet or so, maybe a bit smaller. Not very picky about the dimensions but somewhere thereabouts sounds about right.

I had this previously and it was pretty good quality:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/foerhoeja-kitchen-cart-birch-80035920/

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

AnonSpore posted:

Stainless prep table

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

barkbell posted:

i want an ankarsrum but we talked about different mixer options and we decided to go with 7 qt kitchenaid mixer because it seemed to be more versatile and it looked like it could still handle some of the heavier wet doughs i do. we do have a 40yo 5qt kitchenaid tho so maybe we just need the ankarsrum

Just as a heads up, for the 7qt KA and dough. You gotta be making a decent sized batch for the KA dough hook to do a anything at all. Like, I don't do batches of under 1,000g flour because it just barely touches and spins around the top.

If you frequently do smaller batches than that, I would either get a Bosch/Ankarsrum, or resign yourself to hand-kneading most of your bread.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
ty for the heads up i maybe need to rethink this...

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/kitche...T&skuId=4598700

Sees like KitchenAid mixer is on sale, these seem really popular.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

obi_ant posted:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/kitche...T&skuId=4598700

Sees like KitchenAid mixer is on sale, these seem really popular.

Why do they make it so drat hard to compare models.

I've got a 10 year old aritsan that struggles to actually move higher than speed 3 and anything thicker than a 70% hydration dough it just stops that I've been putting off repairing for a year, tempted to upgrade at that price and hand off the current one to someone else with the "free, but needs a fix to do anything you couldn't do by hand anyway".

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The lift tops are generally more heavily constructed than the swing tops, right?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Fart Car '97 posted:

The lift tops are generally more heavily constructed than the swing tops, right?

Literally what I'm trying to find right now. I know the 7 quarts are built like a tank for the lifts, but I'm not sure if the 5's are as well.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah bowl lift are sturdier just because there's not a hinge that has sideways force constantly applied to it.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Seems like this is a solid build at a great price if you're not attached to one of the larger bowl sizes. I'm jumping on it, time to find the artisan a new home (and replacement gears).

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Gears were a large failure point but I think they no longer do any nylon or whatever dumb material. I have repaired one where the entire orbital gearing fell out, idk why the gently caress.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Costco is the place to buy it from just for the incredible return policy

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
It looks like you can put a 5qt bowl on a 7qt kitchenaid mixer. That could be a good solution for me

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Searzall Pro crowdfunding project:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/searzall-pro#/

50% bigger, hotter, more even, uses MAPP PRO gas

I might sell off my Searzall and get this

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Steve Yun posted:

Searzall Pro crowdfunding project:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/searzall-pro#/

50% bigger, hotter, more even, uses MAPP PRO gas

I might sell off my Searzall and get this

I thought most folks were unimpressed and thought it wasn't worth the cash? Does FGR have an opinion?

Also I have a torch, do I need the proprietary one? WTF is the difference?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Croatoan posted:

I thought most folks were unimpressed and thought it wasn't worth the cash? Does FGR have an opinion?

Also I have a torch, do I need the proprietary one? WTF is the difference?

The video implies that using a straight torch imbues the food with a fuel taste? I don't have a torch but I've never heard of this being the case.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I do not notice a fuel taste when I torch foods, no. I have seared plenty of meats and a few creme brulees.

Also to be more clear I was asking more about their proprietary torch that the searzall goes on. I have one from home depot, would I just need the searzall attachment or would I need both?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I still use my searzall occasionally, generally to make crème brûlée or melt a cold compound butter on a steak or something like that. I really don’t use it to sear anything because I just don’t feel like it works well enough to do so without also cooking the food more than I’d like. So a searzall that is more deficient in that area would be great but I will wait for user reviews this time.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
According to Modernist at Home, butane (bad) and propane (not nearly as bad) can both impart flavors to food, but they reported MAPP didn’t have any noticeable effect so that’s what I have.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I cook my steaks by putting them into a pie tin and then filling it with isopropyl alcohol and lighting it on fire.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I thought it was that the heat from a torch was too concentrated in a very small area and that was what caused the off flavor. Either way, I’ve also found the searzalls uses to be extremely limited.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I've definitely found MAPP Pro to leave an unwanted flavor.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I guess mAPP will melt the og searzall so they're just going for hotter in round 2

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I was researching what kind of gas was ok for food, so I could get a dual-purpose torch for food/plumbing. Bernzomatic said both Propane or MAPP-Pro were ok. Then I realized a gas grill usually uses Propane so I went with that.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I've definitely had some really gross gas-flavored crème brûlées at restaurants. I looked at the searzall but was never sold enough to switch from broiling, but I'll look more at this new one

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

bamhand posted:

I've definitely found MAPP Pro to leave an unwanted flavor.

Even a clean-burning gas can leave off flavors if not combusted completely. Better make your own searzall with a catalytic converter just to be safe :science:

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
The only thing I've used my searzall for is trying to save time blacking the skin of vegetables for a salsa. Took forever and wasn't worth the effort to avoid turning the oven on in the summer.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

BrianBoitano posted:

Even a clean-burning gas can leave off flavors if not combusted completely. Better make your own searzall with a catalytic converter just to be safe :science:

I’m not sure if it’s actually required or not but I’m pretty sure that my Bernzomatic MAPP-Pro canisters required a different, specific torch head than the regular propane. Given the different energy densities of the gasses involved I wouldn’t be surprised if you could conceivably use an incorrect torch and get incomplete combustion.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Is it unreasonable to expect an enameled dutch oven to be completely flat? I finally found one that's the same size as my hob recently and it wobbles slightly if I put pressure on one side. It was like this before I even applied any heat.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
my experience is limited but they should be dead flat. even my Misen one is

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Empty Sandwich posted:

even my Misen one is

What is the quality on Misen stuff these days? I remember a lot of broken knives crushing garlic, but keep seeing people talking about picking up their stuff and I'm not sure if its still right to steer them away. Is their QA still poo poo or have they graduated to "decent but overpriced insta brand"?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Nephzinho posted:

What is the quality on Misen stuff these days? I remember a lot of broken knives crushing garlic, but keep seeing people talking about picking up their stuff and I'm not sure if its still right to steer them away. Is their QA still poo poo or have they graduated to "decent but overpriced insta brand"?

I would personally never buy a piece of equipment from a supplier that shipped out huge quantities of plainly defective steel at any point. They just… didn’t check the hardness or microstructure of the material they got that time, so what other mistakes and shortcuts are the Silicon Valley product managers taking with respect to the quality control of their goods? I just wouldn’t trust them when there are so many similarly-priced alternatives. It may be that a random victorinox won’t hold an edge as long as a random Misen, but I’ve also never heard of victorinox shipping someone (or several thousand someones) untempered steel, either.

I also think it just plain sucks that there’s such a huge market for Instagram promotion cooking products. There are plenty of places you can buy cookware from that don’t involve a startup skimming profits off the top of branding and selling mediocre quality products. It’s so much easier to me to have faith in a product that’s been sold for more than 5 years and isn’t exclusively found in Instagram ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Misen seems to do a pretty reliably good job if you get in on one of their Kickstarters. After that, seems like QA goes downhill pretty fast.