Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Collapsing Farts posted:

The new guardians game seems to be pretto good actually

I'm sure someone out there will put 2000 hours in or platinum it in 5 difficulties but most people just want anything that's new

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I play the same games over and over and I loving love it

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
I wish a madden would come out that didnt require precisely adjusting 200 sliders just to get it halfway to not completely broken.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I play the same games over and over and I loving love it

This is me, it rules

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Collapsing Farts posted:

Somehow it has some of the best dialogue around. Its really funny and the plot is very engaging and the pacing is very good. I am very surprised by how much I'm enjoying it. Playing a linear game where I don't have to gently caress around running back and forth is refreshing tbh. Better versions of the characters than the movies. Combat is only okay but its enjoyable enough.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Everything is better without that bitch Chris Pratt in it.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

kntfkr posted:

Everything is better without that bitch Chris Pratt in it.

he's gonna ruin the new garfield movie

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
How can he play Mario. He's not even Italian. ugatz! *spits*

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SilvergunSuperman posted:

There's too much variety to justify replaying a game these days, seek new experiences; replay is for dullards.

The justification is "I have fun" and I really don't want to go and learn an entire new game I will likely not enjoy anyway.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

All chill guys that live in their vans turn into insufferable douchebags when they get money, been that way since vans were made.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Caesar Saladin posted:

he's gonna ruin the new garfield movie

This is an unfair sentence. Just in that, no one should ever be compelled to put these words together.

Sorry for your suffering.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

You can't be garfield and mario at the same time, it ruins any chance of a crossover movie

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Triarii posted:

Yeah, the existence of a readily available easy option does kind of blunt my enjoyment of taking the hard option instead, even if I literally never touch the easy option. It makes it feel like more of a self-imposed challenge. More like "I made that really hard on myself" instead of "I did a really hard thing".
don't blame your lack of self control on a video game, i still have cookies in the house.
99% of the time the difference between "normal" and "hard" is how many times you need to press the "a" button.
sometimes i don't have the time, and usually i don't have the inclination, to whittle the head bad guy down from 999 health while he heals and one shots my teammates: i know where this is going, let's just get this on with.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
I was so upset the first time I played Devil May Cry 2 at a friend’s house and seeing a regular enemy had more than one health bar.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Triarii posted:

Yeah, the existence of a readily available easy option does kind of blunt my enjoyment of taking the hard option instead, even if I literally never touch the easy option. It makes it feel like more of a self-imposed challenge. More like "I made that really hard on myself" instead of "I did a really hard thing".

:eyepop:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Gaius Marius posted:

Difficulty slider destroy good game design

Good

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Elentor posted:

The justification is "I have fun" and I really don't want to go and learn an entire new game I will likely not enjoy anyway.

Oh no now that I've finally figured out Doom, i have to spend a week learning Doom 2 from scartch???? *presses left hoping to strafe right* gently caress you game

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

steinrokkan posted:

Oh no now that I've finally figured out Doom, i have to spend a week learning Doom 2 from scartch???? *presses left hoping to strafe right* gently caress you game

Pretty much.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Final Fantasy 9 actually sucks

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

fridge corn posted:

Kuja and the younger two Hanson brothers tricked me :boom:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Elentor posted:

I think that is why I can't really get back into games I leave. Relearning a game slightly different then that one I've already learned sucks. The last time I did it I think was Dota 2 coming from Heroes of Newerth because I could see the writing on the wall, but that doesn't count because I hadn't really ever left I just switched.

It's absolutely the reason I tend to like multiplayer games with theoretical infinite replayability and am willing to put up with problems in the games for longer than I should. I devour entertainment, and while I like playing games I don't really like looking for games to play.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

fridge corn posted:

Yes, yes, we know it's a Final Fantasy game.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

Yes, yes, we know it's a Final Fantasy game.

No I meant compared to the other ones. It sucks more

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Probably not an unpopular opinion, but it goes with difficulty chat: don't lock hard mode behind beating the game. I like playing games on hard and I don't like playing games more than once. I'm looking at you Resident Evil!

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Dark Souls isn't a game of skill, it's a game of memory. You didn't actually get good at it, you just brute force memorized a bunch of poo poo through trial and error.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Noita is amazing, that's not an unpopular opinion but its super true. I am really bad at it but its fun just jet packing around the early levels, I think it's one of the best procgen games because the differences between seeds are meaningful but it doesn't rely on them.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

nvidiagouge posted:

Dark Souls isn't a game of skill, it's a game of memory. You didn't actually get good at it, you just brute force memorized a bunch of poo poo through trial and error.

this would be an easier take to defend if there wasn’t an awesome roguelite mode in bloodborne

Grogquock
May 2, 2009
Memory informing action is a large component of skill.

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Rockman Reserve posted:

this would be an easier take to defend if there wasn’t an awesome roguelite mode in bloodborne

Bloodborne is a lot more about skill due to the elimination of shields and heavy reliance on the parry/shooting mechanic. It's similar that you have to memorize the tells for those actions, but Dark Souls (not as much Darks Souls 3, though) is a lot more susceptible to the playstyle of rote memorization.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

fridge corn posted:

wrong. It's the most Final Fantasy of all the games.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Grogquock posted:

Memory informing action is a large component of skill.

It is weird how muscle memory works.

At one point I could slaughter someone at Marvel SNK vs. Capcom with my toes.

I thought I'd got good because I could to a do a dragon punch pretty well.

Then a friend actually put some effort into the game and it was fun to not see them super frustrated. But kicking my rear end.

Tons of game I just play at a level where I'm living in the game but also I secretly suck pretty bad and am on autopilot.

Not a big secret, to everyone.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

pentyne posted:

wrong. It's the most Final Fantasy of all the games.

What does that even mean

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

fridge corn posted:

What does that even mean

yeah that's dumb the most final fantasy was either chrono trigger or maybe secret of mana

or legend of mana

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

fridge corn posted:

What does that even mean

The maker of final fantasy agreed that it is the most final fantasy of final fantasies

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Nice Van My Man posted:

Probably not an unpopular opinion, but it goes with difficulty chat: don't lock hard mode behind beating the game. I like playing games on hard and I don't like playing games more than once. I'm looking at you Resident Evil!

Diablo II and all the trash copying it: "only having to replay it once for hard mode? How quaint"

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

jokes posted:

The maker of final fantasy agreed that it is the most final fantasy of final fantasies

Still doesnt answer my question

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

fridge corn posted:

Still doesnt answer my question

cuz it's about crystals, alright? and there's a vivi. the other games might have black mages but they don't have vivi's

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I haven't been able to follow a plot of a Final Fantasy game since the snes days. Usually about halfway thru the game gets all metaphysical about crystals and poo poo and I just nod my head and enjoy the good music and cool monsters.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Collapsing Farts posted:

yeah its fun and i am surprised it doesn't have a thread. i think the game does more interesting stuff with the characters then the Gunn movies in some cases even if the charaters are composites of the comics and movies(personalities are movie like but backgrounds are comics, outside drax because his original backstory is dumb)

i like cod campaigns. not all of them, but a bunch of them are very fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Zil posted:

EQ2 does that now where botters get exiled to their own server.

is this the AI wars sci-fi had been warning us about