Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Judakel posted:

he is nice yes. but his films are bad

sure but they’re enjoyable

Serf posted:

similar vibes to short circuit 2 where those dudes cut johnny 5 apart with saws and you see them carrying off his limbs

this scene pissed me off so loving bad

Sofia Boutella? I’m there, dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Casey Finnigan posted:

was that taika waititi hitler movie any good?

Yeah, it's worth a watch.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Judakel posted:

well i saw it at home because i want to support streaming where my favorite filmmaker zach snyder shows his films... but i guess you can do whatever you want since you don't care about streaming

im watching dune in a theater this weekend to support my local small town second run theater its legit really hard to justify going out to watch any movie at all without that extra motivation because normal theaters are dumb bullshit and i hate them

Zisky
May 6, 2003

I watched Burn After Reading last night.

In retrospect it's a great send up of Bond movies and how seriously spy poo poo in general takes itself.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i liked clooney's sex wedge

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Pyrus Malus posted:

I had someone recommend me death of stalin after they found out I was a communist as if it was some kind of critical film that would pull me free from the brink of ideology

That's loving hilarious

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

indigi posted:

sure but they’re enjoyable

in the words of arf, they're aids

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
i think snyder's movies are fine enough. i just think snyder guys are weird.

e:300 was epic when it came out. very cool spartan men you know

Casey Finnigan has issued a correction as of 22:09 on Nov 4, 2021

Zisky
May 6, 2003

i say swears online posted:

i liked clooney's sex wedge

I liked how they built up his devious basement torture device that turned out to be a dildo chair.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I don't particularly care for his output but I think Snyder fans are entitled to be a bit defensive considering how profoundly weird the attacks got against him and his movies.

Police_monitoring
Oct 11, 2021

by sebmojo
Yeah I’m a big fan of the alternative superhero movie director

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Zisky posted:

I watched Burn After Reading last night.

In retrospect it's a great send up of Bond movies and how seriously spy poo poo in general takes itself.

it's super loving funny beginning to end and I don't think there's any part of it that doesn't make me laugh.

amazing casting, the writing is unassailable and the sets and scenes are perfect.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Police_monitoring posted:

Yeah I’m a big fan of the alternative superhero movie director

this is exactly how i say it whenever i get the opportunity

and Burn After Reading is extremely good imo

Zisky
May 6, 2003

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

it's super loving funny beginning to end and I don't think there's any part of it that doesn't make me laugh.

amazing casting, the writing is unassailable and the sets and scenes are perfect.

Even the dramatic music is hilarious.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
definitely a very strong 2000s-era coen bros movie

i was pretty excited for hail caesar but sadly they couldn't quite bring back the magic. still had some good bits, though. also it was communist propaganda of some sort, but whether pro-, anti-, or neutral, i couldn't say

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i wish brad pitt did more weird character acting, his line reads in burn after reading (esp "you think that's a schwinn") are so good

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Aglet56 posted:

i was pretty excited for hail caesar but sadly they couldn't quite bring back the magic. still had some good bits, though. also it was communist propaganda of some sort, but whether pro-, anti-, or neutral, i couldn't say

would that it were so simple.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I especially appreciate that they clearly filmed a lot of it in a DC row house. everything about the space felt like being inside one of those weird brick monstrosities right down to the creepy unfinished basement with full windows.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

Coen Brothers movies always exploit their settings really well.

I can't think of a single one where it isn't a character in and of itself.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Zisky posted:

Coen Brothers movies always exploit their settings really well.

I can't think of a single one where it isn't a character in and of itself.

very true, in inside llewyn davis 60s new york city felt like one of the dang main characters!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

now I want a coen brothers MCU flick

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Aglet56 posted:

Yeah it's fascinating how it doesn't quite fit anywhere. I think a lot about the one scene of all the communists relaxing by building a puzzle, they go to put the last piece in and somehow it doesn't fit

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

what noooo dude gently caress no

Zisky
May 6, 2003

I think I'm gonna rewatch A Serious Man next, I love that movie but its pretty niche.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

a serious man is absolutely sublime

Zisky
May 6, 2003

A lot of people I know didn't "get" it but maybe it's because it hits hardest for a certain type of suburban American Jew? It's a very personal movie, and utterly perfect at what it's doing imo.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

it's wild how accurate Burn After Reading is to career feds too
you'd think they spent years deep undercover to research it

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Zisky posted:

A lot of people I know didn't "get" it but maybe it's because it hits hardest for a certain type of suburban American Jew? It's a very personal movie, and utterly perfect at what it's doing imo.

well as a suburban American Jew I saw it at age 14 and I gotta say I definitely did not get it. I should rewatch it though

Police_monitoring
Oct 11, 2021

by sebmojo
A Serious Man is a pretty good portrait of anybody neurotically trying to be “normal”. It’s all L’s

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Casey Finnigan posted:

i think snyder's movies are fine enough. i just think snyder guys are weird.

e:300 was epic when it came out. very cool spartan men you know

Judakel starts frothing st the mouth at anything even remotely adjacent or tenuously associated with the topic, but somehow the snyder fans are the weird ones

Zisky
May 6, 2003

Casey Finnigan posted:

well as a suburban American Jew I saw it at age 14 and I gotta say I definitely did not get it. I should rewatch it though

Clearly you weren't blazed for your Torah portion.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah it's fascinating how it doesn't quite fit anywhere. I think a lot about the one scene of all the communists relaxing by building a puzzle, they go to put the last piece in and somehow it doesn't fit

Perfect metaphor for Western Communists

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
this poo poo is so good fuuuck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoetGnTIjWY

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i spose i'm looking forward to the solo-coen (joel) tragedy of macbeth, but not too big on shakespeare adaptations. looks cool tho

Zisky
May 6, 2003

The best Shakespeare adaptations are Romeo + Juliet and Branagh's Much Ado About Nothing.

Police_monitoring
Oct 11, 2021

by sebmojo

McCloud posted:

Judakel starts frothing st the mouth at anything even remotely adjacent or tenuously associated with the topic, but somehow the snyder fans are the weird ones

You guys are the exact same

Zisky
May 6, 2003

It reminds me of Radio Days in a lot of ways, especially the rabi scenes.

Except it's better and doesn't involve Woody Allen (which also makes it better).

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

I can practically guarantee you that they would have no interest in doing this.

The Coen brothers' fundamental interest imo is exploring weird people (or people so profoundly average they seem weird compared to a mainstream film protagonist) struggling against their lack of agency in a chaotic universe.

The "ubermenschen restores the upset status quo" basis of all MCU stories is totally antithetical to this.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The Fassbender Macbeth was good and the modernized Coriolanus was also good. I really want somebody to make a straight adaptation of Titus Andronicus because the avant garde '90s one was trash

Also Chimes at Midnight is excellent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I can't believe i loving watched woody allen movies in college like "hmm this guy must be onto something if everyone heaps praise on him" what a rube. what a rube I was.