Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Dead Reckoning posted:

Well, I hate iOS, so gently caress me, I guess. Really not a fan of the inescapable planned obsolescence that seems to be built into everything these days.

Nokia does 3 years of security updates and 2 years of OS updates. I dunno how any of their current phones are.

Edit: if they still use AT&T that might restrict what devices you can use, not sure on that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

LastInLine posted:

In addition to all of that which is all true, having a headphone jack be some kind of dealbreaker is absurd in 2021. You're spending a grand on a phone, maybe pick up some decent, modern headphones while you're at it. There's absolutely no reason to want a headphone jack so much that it negates buying the better made and better supported phones on the market. It's crazy to die on that hill.

But the buds I got in 2015 with my Galaxy S6 work just fine!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

AlexDeGruven posted:

But the buds I got in 2015 with my Galaxy S6 work just fine!

Maybe back when you couldn't just pick up a pair of wireless buds for next to nothing I could see it and yes the whole transition sucked but once you're on the other side it's so much better. Are these people building PCs with 3.5" drives? Do they only buy carbureted automobiles? How much tilting at windmills can a person do?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Maybe back when you couldn't just pick up a pair of wireless buds for next to nothing I could see it and yes the whole transition sucked but once you're on the other side it's so much better. Are these people building PCs with 3.5" drives? Do they only buy carbureted automobiles? How much tilting at windmills can a person do?
I need 3.5" drives for my pirated animes, yes.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

LastInLine posted:

I was being sarcastic. I actually agree completely.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Wired headphones offer a lot of options that wireless do not, y'all need to chill out a bit.

I know iPhones have a dongle you can plug into the charge port that let's you plug wired headphones in. Im not certain, but I guarantee that whatever android/other phone you'd get has a similar dongle available, but I would double check and confirm the specific models you're interested in before committing.

Edit: something like this, usb c to 3.5mm

I assume that the software in the phone is smart enough to automatically figure out the adapter, but again, I'd double check the exact phone you're interested in. It does take up the plug, meaning you cant charge your phone anymore unless it also has the wireless charging feature.

Fashionable Jorts fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 30, 2021

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Tim and Phil said it was courageous to get rid of the headphone Jack, and I honor their sacrifice by using $250 retail Bluetooth headphones whenever I listen to music.

It’s still dumb, but eh, it isn’t life or death losing the headphone Jack, so not worth fretting over it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

AlexDeGruven posted:

I was being sarcastic. I actually agree completely.

I could tell, sorry. I was just on a roll there and you did nail the justification for clinging to it. Didn't mean to act accusatory :)

I just hate seeing people pass up the better long term option over such a silly concern.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Wired headphones offer a lot of options that wireless do not

Such features as rapidly slamming your phone on the floor when you trip on a wire? What are these lots of options?

I assume that the software in the phone is smart enough to automatically figure out the adapter, but again, I'd double check the exact phone you're interested in. It does take up the plug, meaning you cant charge your phone anymore unless it also has the wireless charging feature.

That assumption is wrong because actually some need a DAC in the dongle and some do not. You also have to worry about the quality hit you get from a cheap adapter or DAC.

My point is that compared to things like a comfortable size, long term software support, generous specs that won't be hindrance down the road, and price, a headphone jack should fall somewhere near the "completely superfluous" end of the spectrum of importance because we really did make it to the other side.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

I know iPhones have a dongle you can plug into the charge port that let's you plug wired headphones in. Im not certain, but I guarantee that whatever android/other phone you'd get has a similar dongle available

Actually, everyone recommends the Apple one for Android phones.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

A wired pair of headphones is much nicer for voice (or games). Bluetooth still has a lag. A DAC dongle is fine, but you can't charge the phone while using one and it's another thing to lose.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

BrainParasite posted:

A wired pair of headphones is much nicer for voice (or games). Bluetooth still has a lag. A DAC dongle is fine, but you can't charge the phone while using one and it's another thing to lose.

Honestly, I miss my wired earbuds cause they cost like $15 and lasted all day, which is two things I can't say about Bluetooth buds. I got a $30 USB-C pair that aren't as nice and don't let me charge the phone at the same time, but they're my go to these days.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

LastInLine posted:

Such features as rapidly slamming your phone on the floor when you trip on a wire? What are these lots of options?

Higher quality audio for the same price since you don't need to pay for batteries and Bluetooth circuits. No latency, no worrying about your headphones running out of battery, less risk of interference. And that's just what comes to mind immediately.

For $25 I can get wired headphones that have better audio quality than $100 wireless.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Charles posted:

Nokia does 3 years of security updates and 2 years of OS updates. I dunno how any of their current phones are.
Oneplus promises the same,and the 9 gets good reviews, I just want to not have to upgrade every 3 years.

Duckman2008 posted:

The answer for the future at the moment is... pixel 6.

Higher quality audio for the same price since you don't need to pay for batteries and Bluetooth circuits. No latency, no worrying about your headphones running out of battery, less risk of interference. And that's just what comes to mind immediately.

For $25 I can get wired headphones that have better audio quality than $100 wireless.
This, plus I launder my earbuds about once a year, and can find cheap, decent wired ones nearly anywhere.

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011
I was kind of at the point where "no headphone jack" was a dealbreaker, but the space of available phones is just too constrained to go hard-line on it, tbh. I don't regret dropping that requirement at all.

If you've invested in, say, a $125 pair of Sennheisers, I totally understand the desire for a headphone jack. I also don't think it's outlandish and weird to avoid headphones that rely on batteries to remain usable, especially given the limited cycle lifespan of rechargeable batteries. Also, it's nice to just have some cheapo junk headphones for the gym/cycling/hiking, where I won't feel bad if they break. The basic RCA to Lightning connector works just fine for 99% of my personal use so far, though, and is nowhere near as annoying as I thought it'd be.

DrankSinatra fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 30, 2021

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I have one use-case where the 3.5mm jack is important, and that is to easily record voicemails on my computer so I can forward them as needed. 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable from phone to computer microphone jack and it's really easy and high quality. Any other option is a lot more involved and a hassle to accomplish something I don't want to be spending time doing in the first place. This is more a thing for my work phones than it is my personal phones.

That's about all I can think of, though - I've been all Bluetooth headphones for years now.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Dead Reckoning posted:

Country/Provider: United States, Consumer Cellular (most likely)

Current contract status: Getting ready to switch plans and need a new phone to boot. Looking for a pay-as-you-go provider.

Budget (phone/plan): Phone<$1000, plan<$40/mo

Features I know I want:
-At least 4 yrs of OS or at the bare minimum security updates, I tend to keep my phones a long time.
-No more than 3" wide
-Headphone jack
-Good battery life

I just learned of something called Teracube, it has 4 years of warranty and a headphone jack! But 3 years of updates 🤔 It even has a removable battery. Sounds like it's not very powerful.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Charles posted:

I just learned of something called Teracube, it has 4 years of warranty and a headphone jack! But 3 years of updates 🤔 It even has a removable battery. Sounds like it's not very powerful.

It has the specs of a ~$40 phone, and is already *severely* out of date OS-wise. I would not recommend it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Biowarfare posted:

It has the specs of a ~$40 phone, and is already *severely* out of date OS-wise. I would not recommend it.

Yeah I looked at the website and it's an Indiegogo thing, which means the company will probably disappear shortly.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I have one use-case where the 3.5mm jack is important, and that is to easily record voicemails on my computer so I can forward them as needed. 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable from phone to computer microphone jack and it's really easy and high quality. Any other option is a lot more involved and a hassle to accomplish something I don't want to be spending time doing in the first place. This is more a thing for my work phones than it is my personal phones.

That's about all I can think of, though - I've been all Bluetooth headphones for years now.

Are there still providers that don't have visual voicemail?

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
yeah the biggest issue with Bluetooth audio is the significant lag. It’s obviously no issue when listening to audio only content, but especially for casual music production (e.g. GarageBand) and games it can be very jarring to have a significant delay between input and output. I still don’t miss the headphone jack on the phone, but on the new iPads it is sorely missed.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

AlexDeGruven posted:

Yes. And even if my work phone did have visual voicemail the transcription is often rear end in my experience, and would necessitate being able to copy and paste it which I'm not sure would be that easy, either.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Yes. And even if my work phone did have visual voicemail the transcription is often rear end in my experience, and would necessitate being able to copy and paste it which I'm not sure would be that easy, either.

That seems crazy to me, but I also sometimes forget that I live in capitalist utopia.

And for VVM utility, I was thinking more along the lines of the save feature and downloading the audio files from your phone that way.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

AlexDeGruven posted:

I wasn't able to get it to work on Verizon prepaid.

When I last had it, transcripts of my folks' messages in Polish were hilarious.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Is lag still a thing with Bluetooth 5.0+ hardware? The lag on my Sony randomnymbersandletters, whatever their noise cancelling ones are, is essentially non-existent. I'd estimate it at 10 ms at most. I'm quite sensitive to lag like that and spent a ton of time with my home audio receiver tweaking the audio sync, and the Sony's are good enough that it doesn't bother me at all.

I also have Jabra Elite 75s and they have a bit more lag but they probably support an older version of Bluetooth.

CourtFundedPoster
Feb 2, 2019
So I went bicycling in the Everglades and accidentally fell in, While my phone still works, it has developed some cyberpunk aesthetics that make it impossible to use.

Country/Provider: USA/T-Mobile

Current contract status: Don't actually know, my family and I just share it. Would just prefer to buy the phone outright if that makes a difference.

Budget (phone/plan): 200 dollars, maybe up to 400 dollars but only if it makes a dramatic difference.

Features I know I want: A durable phone that I can use, maybe an okay camera if i can be picky, but at this price range I suspect I cannot.

The phone that broke was a Pixel 3a. I really liked it's camera, but the screen broke way too easily (I went through two over the course of my ownership of it). The phone that I am looking at is Oneplus Nord 200. My father recently got one through T-Mobile and it seems perfectly fine for what it is.

So what do you guys think of the Nord 200? Are there any better phones at that price range?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

For a very budget phone that is actually under your $200 limit, my mom really likes her Motorola G Power a lot. Big screen and huge battery. Drawbacks, everything you'd expect for a $200 phone -- 720 screen vs 1080 on higher midrange or 4k on higher end phones (267 ppi which is ok-ish), not meant for gaming at all, and mediocre cameras though it does have a macro camera and depth sensor for portrait shots and such. Claimed water resistant but I don't know if it has an official certification.

E: some sites say the 2021 model has a 1080 screen, some say it's still 720. :iiam:

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 4, 2021

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

regulargonzalez posted:

For a very budget phone that is actually under your $200 limit, my mom really likes her Motorola G Power a lot. Big screen and huge battery. Drawbacks, everything you'd expect for a $200 phone -- 720 screen vs 1080 on higher midrange or 4k on higher end phones (267 ppi which is ok-ish), not meant for gaming at all, and mediocre cameras though it does have a macro camera and depth sensor for portrait shots and such. Claimed water resistant but I don't know if it has an official certification.

E: some sites say the 2021 model has a 1080 screen, some say it's still 720. :iiam:

I have a Moto G Play (2021) as a backup/secondary phone, and it seems fine. The 720p screen looks okay to me, at least, and the main thing I am aware of is how small 32GB of internal storage feels to me now. That said I have done very little with this phone since it is, as I said, a backup/secondary phone on a cheap Tracfone plan. The phone itself is a Geeksquad certified "refurb" which I'm thinking was just a return because the person didn't like it or whatever, and it only cost me like $120 or something.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
https://www.t-mobile.com/stores/pd/t-mobile-las-vegas-nv-89104-2560/samsung-galaxy-a32-5g?brand=samsung

Is a samsung-galaxy-a32 any good? It's got good reviews.

I'm currently using a samsung galaxy s5 that is so old it can't even use half the apps in the playstore anymore because the os version is from 2017. Can barely open google maps, etc.

I don't use my phone for much. Even a low end 2021 phone probably annihilates an s5 from 2014, right?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Is Bluetooth audio quality actually on par with wired now? My current phone is from 2016 and it definitely wasn't then.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

It depends on several factors. First, how good are your ears? Do an ABX test to see how sensitive your ears are to lossy encoding http://abx.digitalfeed.net/
If you can't identify the lossy samples, any Bluetooth setup where the phone and buds each support at least aptX will be as good as wired for you. If you can identify the lossy from the lossless, find a phone and buds that support very high bitrates like LDAC. The downside to that, though, is that connectivity is spottier. My S21u and Sony 1000xm4's support LDAC and it sounds great but with my phone in its wallet case and in my back pocket, sometimes one ear will drop out when I turn my head.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Methanar posted:

https://www.t-mobile.com/stores/pd/t-mobile-las-vegas-nv-89104-2560/samsung-galaxy-a32-5g?brand=samsung

Is a samsung-galaxy-a32 any good? It's got good reviews.

I'm currently using a samsung galaxy s5 that is so old it can't even use half the apps in the playstore anymore because the os version is from 2017. Can barely open google maps, etc.

I don't use my phone for much. Even a low end 2021 phone probably annihilates an s5 from 2014, right?

Huge update from your S5 yeah. If you could find a Pixel 4a in that price range, maybe consider that, but this doesn’t seem that expensive and should be fine.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Just shattered my the A50 I've been happy with for yhe past few years. On a Verizon reseller (xfinity), looking to stay under $700 unless there's a great reason not to.

Looks like my options (new) are A52, Pixel6, or the iphone 11? Any recommendations? I've always been android but more out of inertia than loyalty.

Don't care much on gaming, camera has always been good enough, pretty easy to please.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Paracaidas posted:

Just shattered my the A50 I've been happy with for yhe past few years. On a Verizon reseller (xfinity), looking to stay under $700 unless there's a great reason not to.

Looks like my options (new) are A52, Pixel6, or the iphone 11? Any recommendations? I've always been android but more out of inertia than loyalty.

Don't care much on gaming, camera has always been good enough, pretty easy to please.

For that price I would get the pixel 6, assuming you want to stick with Android.

FYI Black Friday is coming up, if you can hold out a few weeks you may or may not find a good deal. I have no idea if Comcast gives promo discounts to upgrade customers.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Anyone have a suggestion for a good discount couple's plan? My GF and I are both considering replacing our phones, so we might get under one plan. We don't use much data, since most of our time is spent in wifi.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

LastInLine posted:

In addition to all of that which is all true, having a headphone jack be some kind of dealbreaker is absurd in 2021. You're spending a grand on a phone, maybe pick up some decent, modern headphones while you're at it. There's absolutely no reason to want a headphone jack so much that it negates buying the better made and better supported phones on the market. It's crazy to die on that hill.

All I know is my old phone was the first one I bought without a headphone jack and I've regretted it for years now.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
My iPhone 6 is on its last legs. My friend has a Sony Xperia 5 that looks really appealing as a replacement, but I've also heard nothing but good things about the Pixel 6. The Xperia seems to be spec'd very similar but I don't see it getting recommended alot.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I was on cricket for a long time but I switched to Google Fi at the start of the pandemic since I was at home and on WiFi. Now that I'm starting to go back to the office and am using more data I want to switch back to a prepaid plan. I could go back to cricket, but I was also looking at Mint, probably the 10gb/mo plan. I'm in a large Metro area with good TMobile signal. I have a pixel 4a (non 5g). Are there any other plans or MVNOs I might consider?

Rollos
Aug 11, 2007

Hold on, won't be long

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I was on cricket for a long time but I switched to Google Fi at the start of the pandemic since I was at home and on WiFi. Now that I'm starting to go back to the office and am using more data I want to switch back to a prepaid plan. I could go back to cricket, but I was also looking at Mint, probably the 10gb/mo plan. I'm in a large Metro area with good TMobile signal. I have a pixel 4a (non 5g). Are there any other plans or MVNOs I might consider?

I used Mint for awhile but got tired of the spotty connections in my area. I switched to US Mobile which uses Verizon's network and I am much happier with it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I went with Tracfone on my back-up phone and a cheap plan with rollover data. Depending on how much data you need they have plans up to 8GB per month, and whatever isn't used should rollover into the next month as long as you keep service active. I haven't had the plan long enough to see this in action, but I got a 1GB plan since I don't really use that phone with the idea it will build up a bank of data I can use in case my Internet goes out and I need a hotspot without burning the data on my main phone.

In my area I needed Verizon, but Tracfone sim packs come with 3 sim cards - one for each of the major networks. If T-Mobile is the good network for where you are then you could opt for that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Country/Provider: US/Verizon. Try to get a local SIM prepaid plan when I travel internationally, so Verizon-locked is a no.

Current contract status: Contractless, but happy with my plan. I don't need 5g yet but I might by the time I'm done with this phone.

Budget (phone/plan): As much as $800, but ideally in the $500 range. Planning to keep this for about 3 years.

Features I know I want: This is the tough part. Battery life, SD card, NFC, Headphone jack. I play some games that currently struggle a bit but I'm sure any new phone will do better.

I've been using a Moto G6 for 3 years now, and my ideal phone is that, but with NFC, more RAM, and a faster processor. I don't think anyone makes that.

I'm not a headphone jack hardliner, but since I mainly use them at the gym it's nice to have decent quality headphones that I don't worry about replacing when the sweat shorts them out. I can go BT if needed though.

I keep my music files locally, so expandable storage is a much friendlier option than internal-only. Currently using about 200GB.

I love the G6's battery life and I'm kind of a Motorola homer for the gestures (chop for flashlight is so good), but I don't think Motorola makes a phone I want right now.

Looking at the Pixel line, is there a way to turn off the "always on/always listening" features? And which Pixels support NFC?