Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Lone Goat posted:

maro fuckin haaaaaaaates Mentor of the Meek because he thinks white shouldn't get to draw cards ever, google
code:
mentor of the meek  site:[url]https://markrosewater.tumblr.com[/url]
to get a taste of the insanity

https://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/183794563223/if-mentor-of-the-meek-is-a-break-in-white-would-a

though it seems the rest of dev has finally talked some sense into him OR hogtied him and left him in a ditch, and that's why white has finally gotten some looks at card draw recently

no don't

Draw conditioned on playing weenies seems on color and pretty fair, it's way better than that horrible "everyone draws" crap they tried. And they put the once a turn safety valve on it so I don't see the big deal.

Re:blood tokens, I'm guessing there won't be a blood deck like there was a food deck. Their value is basically in cycling away excess lands, which isn't nothing but any blood generation in standard is probably going to be incidental from a card that's already good enough without blood. Or a minor theme in a vampire deck if one ends up being legit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

flatluigi posted:

someone asking you not to be weird shouldn't be your cue to double down

Man, I can't help what tone you read my little joke post in.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Academy Manufactor that also makes Blood tokens when

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Edit: gently caress, wrong thread.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 4, 2021

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The Human Crouton posted:

Someone is going to build a deck that does nothing for 8 turns and then does something cute with this, but overall it's a bad card.

Durdley Jeskai commander deck with Urza.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Its somehow got worse each printing.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Magic Underwear posted:

Draw conditioned on playing weenies seems on color and pretty fair, it's way better than that horrible "everyone draws" crap they tried. And they put the once a turn safety valve on it so I don't see the big deal.
If I remember well, their current idea is to limit every White draw effect to one card. Maro main problem with cards like Mentor is that Mentor draws too much and too easily.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Meh

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
That Odric card just screams “we have no idea what kind of identity to give RW besides aggro and equipment (????)!!!!”

It’s a shame the graveyard thing didn’t really work in Strixhaven for Boros colors because it was at least another direction to take the color pair. Oh well.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
what about that odric card is aggro or equipment-based

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

MASTER TANG: Pay no attention to Odric, we purposely designed him wrong as a joke

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

flatluigi posted:

Nothing, hence it's boring.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The funny thing is, this is the best Odric card.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Mike N Eich posted:

That Odric card just screams “we have no idea what kind of identity to give RW besides aggro and equipment (????)!!!!”

It’s a shame the graveyard thing didn’t really work in Strixhaven for Boros colors because it was at least another direction to take the color pair. Oh well.

same thing with GB which is always lovely rear end morbid, a mechanic that never pans out. its cool that they are trying something new with it this set, tho big golgari butts is certainly a strange one

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It's hilarious they didn't even bother giving him any of those abilities, so unless you have other creatures he comes down as a vanilla 3/3. idk, maybe blood will prove super powerful tho.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Look, every innistrad "block" needs an archangels light, its in the rules

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

The World Inferno posted:

It's hilarious they didn't even bother giving him any of those abilities, so unless you have other creatures he comes down as a vanilla 3/3.

All Odric cards need other creatures in order to work. It's kind of his theme.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mandatory lesbian posted:

Look, every innistrad "block" needs an archangels light, its in the rules

Still seventy cards left

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

babypolis posted:

same thing with GB which is always lovely rear end morbid, a mechanic that never pans out. its cool that they are trying something new with it this set, tho big golgari butts is certainly a strange one

GB in Tarkir block had a slight asses matter subtheme, glad they're going back(side) to it

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

YggdrasilTM posted:

All Odric cards need other creatures in order to work. It's kind of his theme.

No wonder he got turned into a vampire, he’s useless

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Golgari butts traces all the way back to Doran Rock in Lorwyn

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Manichi, the fevered dream

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The funny thing is, this is the best Odric card.

What the combat dictating one is better right?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Maro (tied to chair): no! White doesn’t get repeatable card draw! Someone, stop him!
Me (dancing around him like in Reservoir Dogs): and it’s a mono-white… vampire!
Maro: Noooooooooo!

MarquisDeCarabas
Jun 16, 2012
I played paper Magic a lot back in 2000-2005 or so then just recently (5-6 months ago) got into playing on Arena. Somehow I've never paid any attention to the "lore" of Magic but y'all talking about these characters makes me interested. Is there anything actually worth reading? I can't shake this feeling that it is all likely poo poo but I don't know as I do love the game.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

MarquisDeCarabas posted:

I played paper Magic a lot back in 2000-2005 or so then just recently (5-6 months ago) got into playing on Arena. Somehow I've never paid any attention to the "lore" of Magic but y'all talking about these characters makes me interested. Is there anything actually worth reading? I can't shake this feeling that it is all likely poo poo but I don't know as I do love the game.

some of it's alright, some of it's terrible, but it's long-running enough that there's enough good here and there that people got invested in those bits

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Don’t read the war of the spark “novel”

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Maybe Odric will be like that king card from Conspiracy where it's like "Oops nevermind, Kaya mercked him and he's actually a zombie."

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

MarquisDeCarabas posted:

there's a reason they charge for the cards and give the stories away for free

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

If I get to the prerelease next week and crack open that Odric I’m leaving immediately

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

flatluigi posted:

Lmfao 0/2 these last two pages incredible

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

*wagging finger* “Count each ability only once”

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

That really is an absurd amount of text for such a boring card.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

uggy posted:

Lmfao 0/2 these last two pages incredible

did you quote the right post? i don't really understand what you're saying about my question

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Maro (tied to chair): no! White doesn’t get repeatable card draw! Someone, stop him!
Me (dancing around him like in Reservoir Dogs): and it’s a mono-white… vampire!
Maro: Noooooooooo!

Blue to the left of me, green to the right here I am, drawing a few cards a turn. Drawing a few cards a turn

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

HootTheOwl posted:

Blue to the left of me, green to the right here I am, drawing a few cards a turn. Drawing a few cards a turn

Lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Well I don’t know how I drew cards tonight
I’ve got the feeling I’m playing mono white

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Well there’s the omen counter card

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

There she is

Adbot