Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

theHUNGERian posted:

Even after reading the OP, I am still brain damaged enough to consider buying a house as my rental of 14 years is slowly going downhill. I am working on getting preapproved for a loan, but in the meantime I am looking at recent sales on zillow ...

... and I see things such as this, basically homes that sold for well below half the estimate but also well below the average price of the neighborhood. Should it be obvious to me why it sold for so little money? Should it even concern me?

You should not concern yourself with listings that have nothing other than google street view, for one, or complete and total outliers like that.

That whole "listing" looks like a bad public data scrape (i.e., they refied it or something and zillow screwed up mapping the data to the correct fields).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

theHUNGERian posted:

Even after reading the OP, I am still brain damaged enough to consider buying a house as my rental of 14 years is slowly going downhill. I am working on getting preapproved for a loan, but in the meantime I am looking at recent sales on zillow ...

... and I see things such as this, basically homes that sold for well below half the estimate but also well below the average price of the neighborhood. Should it be obvious to me why it sold for so little money? Should it even concern me?

To pile on, Zillow is total, complete garbage and is not to be relied on for just about anything. Maybe you can trust current on-market properties, but I'm not sure I'd even trust that.

Zillow entries are rarely done by a person. The vast majority are done by a computer combing through public records or other sites. It doesn't always get it right.

If you ever see outliers like this, chances are the data was entered wrong and it's not to be trusted. Nobody who knows what they're doing will take this information seriously as a comp.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

DaveSauce posted:

Nobody who knows what they're doing will take this information seriously as a comp.
Unfortunately, you'll run into a lot of people who don't know what they're doing when you're buying a house.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

My old house, a 1920s SFA house in a dense urban neighborhood, was erroneously listed as a condo on Zillow :psyduck: there are no condos in the entire neighborhood. Also its "zestimate" was way, way low, like compared to its comparable neighbors (and compared to what i actually bought it for) it was super weirdly low, and i suspect it was because of this erroneous fact.

Zillow is handy for browsing active listings on a map with a decent gui, that's all (and even here their facts are sometimes incorrect so you should double check anything that seems off). I could be convinced that their zestimate algorithm is half decent in aggregate, but it has plenty of crazy outliers and is beyond useless for any given individual house.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Zillow is pretty spot on when it comes to condos in major markets. Lots of very similar units trading in the same building

That said my Zestimate got dialed back $20,000 since they imploded

Some urban markets sell at a pretty consistent price per square foot by neighborhood, you're buying the land/address primarily, the building on top of it is an unfortunate train wreck you have to live in. All the homes in a neighborhood here are all built to hit the maximum sq ft per lot which is about 1800 sq ft here

SFH in the burbs, all bets are off

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
If this seller would just accept the fact that he’s not going to get his insane renovation budget back and take our offer before we go on vacation that’d be nice.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 4, 2021

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin
Nearly everything I'm looking at (markets all over the US) on Zillow is double (or more) its 2020 valuation. Who is out there buying homes for 100%+ more than what they were worth a year ago?

Are you guys saying I shouldn't trust those figures?

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

LiterallyAnything posted:

Nearly everything I'm looking at (markets all over the US) on Zillow is double (or more) its 2020 valuation. Who is out there buying homes for 100%+ more than what they were worth a year ago?

You must be looking at some crazy markets. The median sale price across the country was $322K Q2 of 2020 and is $405k Q3 of 2021. That's more like a 25% increase from the low last year to the high now. Not nothing, certainly, but not double.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

If you're comparing 2020 zestimate to 2021 zestimate, you may as well be reading tea leaves.

If you're comparing 2020 zestimate to 2021 sale price, you're only slightly better than above.

Your only real comparison is 2020 comps to 2021 comps. And when I say comps, I mean similar houses and using actual sales prices.

That's not to say that it's impossible for that crazy of a jump in value, but it's highly unlikely.

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin
Okay, that makes sense. I'm comparing the 2020 zestimates to 2021. I'm mainly looking at houses on lakes and away from major cities, all along the US/Canadian border.

Thanks for the insight.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Actual local flippers buy houses that are not attractive, and do (cheapass corner-cutting) renovations to bring the homes up to the quality of their neighbors (this is an important concept in flipping)*.

Ah hah! That's how flippers do make it work. It's not about fixing up the place - it's about fixing it enough to meet the overall standard of neighborhood.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Okay, that makes sense. I'm comparing the 2020 zestimates to 2021. I'm mainly looking at houses on lakes and away from major cities, all along the US/Canadian border.

Thanks for the insight.

So just a heads up, lake homes are going to be a different class than other homes. They're often unique for a variety of reasons, so finding good comps is hard. It's not just going to be hard for zillow, but anyone.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Ah hah! That's how flippers do make it work. It's not about fixing up the place - it's about fixing it enough to meet the overall standard of neighborhood buyer.

ftfy

Flippers only care about selling the house. They will do the minimum amount of work they can get away with while still being able to convince someone to buy it.

This results in half-assed work that is surface level only. If it's not visible, then they probably won't touch it.

And to be sure, MOST home renovations have a ROI less than what they cost. So ultimately the only way flippers can make money is to buy the house cheap and then do cheap work.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DaveSauce posted:

So just a heads up, lake homes are going to be a different class than other homes. They're often unique for a variety of reasons, so finding good comps is hard. It's not just going to be hard for zillow, but anyone.

Not only that, but "away from it all" properties have been very, very hot because that's what a lot of people are looking to do now. I don't doubt at all that class of properties has outperformed the overall market.

But Zestimates are still poo poo, especially for things like that. The only time I've seen them not be poo poo is for what is basically high turnover commodity housing (i.e., apartments, condos, stamped out single family home developments).

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Zestimates are probably worse than ever now (not that they were ever very good) due to the highly unusual market. Deep learning models tend to do poorly when they are pushed far outside of their training data - they are far better at interpolating within their domain, complex as it may be, than they are at extrapolating beyond it. So any broad drastic change is likely to gently caress them up.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

If this seller would just accept the fact that he’s not going to get his insane renovation budget back and take our offer before we go on vacation that’d be nice.

House listed for an open house this weekend. Looks like we're still looking!

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Residency Evil posted:

House listed for an open house this weekend. Looks like we're still looking!

You're going to Europe aren't you? :rip:

Bon voyage!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
He's definitely flying with Delta

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

He's definitely flying with Delta

I was trying to figure out some clever pun about airline choices and/or house buying and realized it was inside me all the time.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

DaveSauce posted:

And to be sure, MOST home renovations have a ROI less than what they cost. So ultimately the only way flippers can make money is to buy the house cheap and then do cheap work.

Out of sheer curiosity, what home renovations have the best ROI?

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?
Usually those performed by the buyer after closing, to their taste and specifications.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Out of sheer curiosity, what home renovations have the best ROI?

Renovations allow you to sell your house faster. They do not produce the "I" part of ROI.

Actually broken things, especially those that are difficult to quantify the cost of from a non-destructive inspection like a potential homebuyer would get might have an ROI.

If you want to reno for you......do that and enjoy it. You are not going to find that one weird trick to make more money from your home this way.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Motronic posted:

Renovations allow you to sell your house faster. They do not produce the "I" part of ROI.

Actually broken things, especially those that are difficult to quantify the cost of from a non-destructive inspection like a potential homebuyer would get might have an ROI.

If you want to reno for you......do that and enjoy it. You are not going to find that one weird trick to make more money from your home this way.

Yeah the "best return" renos might return you 40-50 cents on the dollar at sale. They won't magically make you more money.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The only renovation I would always do before selling is replacing stained and stinky carpet. People will lowball you tens of thousands of dollars if they smell an animal or see Pee Stains, but ~$4,000 at Home Depot will have it looking just fine.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The only renovation I would always do before selling is replacing stained and stinky carpet. People will lowball you tens of thousands of dollars if they smell an animal or see Pee Stains, but ~$4,000 at Home Depot will have it looking just fine.

That's a great example of "not a renovation". That is a material defect that is being repaired before sale.

For an otherwise good condition home you should absolutely repair all material defects before listing. A material defect is not just something that is old or at/past the end of it's life, like a worn carpet. But a piss stained one that stinks is absolutely a material defect.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 5, 2021

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Also poo poo that's necessary for the house to be move-in-ready. There's a pretty big difference between a place that's ready for you to move in after closing and one where you have to get work done before moving in.

Example: a friend sold a house a while back and the one thing he 100% had to do was replace the water heater. It had crapped out right after he moved out to his new place and the realtor made it pretty clear that even if he just tossed in another Home Depot special heater over the weekend it was worth it to not have to tell buyers that there wasn't hot water in the place.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Buyer countered our offer. Our agent is calling him "insane."

He gave us two options:

Our offer + 50k, no waiving of the appraisal contingency.
Our offer, with waiving of the appraisal/loan approval contingency.

How does this make sense. :psyduck:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That only warrants a "gently caress off" response.

The wanting to get rid of the appraisal contingency with all of the new work that was done should tell you everything you need to know.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
The obvious appropriate response is to send back one that's $1000 cheaper with added further contingencies. I don't know what but make something up.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

That only warrants a "gently caress off" response.

The wanting to get rid of the appraisal contingency with all of the new work that was done should tell you everything you need to know.

I’m just confused how he’s ok with the contingency if we offer 50k more.

H110Hawk posted:

The obvious appropriate response is to send back one that's $1000 cheaper with added further contingencies. I don't know what but make something up.

I’m tempted to offer 100k less but don’t want to be a huge dick since we kind of like this house.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Garage door contingency

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Residency Evil posted:

I’m tempted to offer 100k less but don’t want to be a huge dick since we kind of like this house.

Sounds like they know there's ≤ $50,000 in repair items that will come up during inspection!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

Because there's $50 k worth of defects he knows about or he's just a dick you shouldn't do business with unless you can screw them over like that Comcast exec.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah if they think it will underappraise then adding to the offer just makes the problem worse. Clearly they're just trying to get you to drop the appraisal contingency

Do you have a financing contingency?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Sounds like they know there's ≤ $50,000 in repair items that will come up during inspection!

Motronic posted:

Because there's $50 k worth of defects he knows about or he's just a dick you shouldn't do business with unless you can screw them over like that Comcast exec.

Oh yeah duh. Although I’m not sure how not waiving the appraisal is going to help in the end.

And I’m super tempted because he is the former chairman of an academic medical department.

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah if they think it will underappraise then adding to the offer just makes the problem worse. Clearly they're just trying to get you to drop the appraisal contingency

Do you have a financing contingency?

Yeah we’re not paying cash but are approved for way over what this house costs.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Having never done one before, I have to say refinancing is significantly less stressful that buying. I sent the usual W2s, tax returns, and pay stubs to our mortgage person, she sent an estimated closing statement, they asked for a couple clarifying documents, sent a final closing statement, and now the title company comes to our house to sign final paperwork and collect the $50 check that we owe for the trouble. Dropped 1.75% off our current mortgage, saves us about $350/month.

The clarifying document was "why was your wife unemployed from Apr 2020 to Apr 2021", with the requested letter being "lol Covid you idiots".

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Just curious RE, what color do you think these are?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

alnilam posted:

Zestimates are probably worse than ever now (not that they were ever very good) due to the highly unusual market. Deep learning models tend to do poorly when they are pushed far outside of their training data - they are far better at interpolating within their domain, complex as it may be, than they are at extrapolating beyond it. So any broad drastic change is likely to gently caress them up.

When my previous landlord put the house on the market, the zestimate was $1.8M. The asking price was $3.5M, and within two days of hitting the market the zestimate quietly changed to $3-4M.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

Just curious RE, what color do you think these are?

Waive (:v:) everything, got it!

But hey, that's why we're not waiving anything. :shrug:

I caught my wife saying "well, if we don't find a house before the baby comes" earlier this week. Really fantastic stuff imho.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Babies don't require much space, it's the toddler time and beyond that matters more imo

People have been raising entire families in tiny apartments for ages. Moving with a baby will not be fun but moving is never fun so you might as well get over that, it's not worth feeling in a rush over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

alnilam posted:

Babies don't require much space, it's the toddler time and beyond that matters more imo

People have been raising entire families in tiny apartments for ages. Moving with a baby will not be fun but moving is never fun so you might as well get over that, it's not worth feeling in a rush over

Here let me give you my wife’s number. I’ll conference her sister in too!

Yeah I hear you.