Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
Got some tiny battery powered crap. Really digging the feel of the Volca, will probably get some more. The Pocket Operator is neat too but I'm annoyed that it's battery only and I have to wedge a small piece of plastic between the battery contacts as a sort of ghetto power switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Pocket Operators rock. I use the original drum machine to make beats and stash them in an Ableton library

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

beer gas canister posted:

Pocket Operators rock. I use the original drum machine to make beats and stash them in an Ableton library

Yeah, I have it by my work desk and I can't stop loving around with it. I think I'm gonna buy the arcade.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3
I have a synth problem

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Me too

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The only synth problem is space.

e: I want a pocket operator but TBH I have like a hundred samplers now so a way better idea is just for me to grab some WAVs. Maybe when I start going places again I might be able to justify the buy.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
I'm in the process of downsizing, but I got a couple things recently that I wanted to mention cause they're rad.

1) M8 tracker -- this thing owns, owns, owns. Lots of synth engines and good sample support, actually decent built in speakers means I don't bother with headphones if I'm just messing around, and if I do want to record something it's usb class compliant straight to the computer. The tracker style suits a small device. Preordered this thing on a lark last year, and have zero regrets.

2) Dreadbox Typhon. I gave my Bass Station 2 away and told myself I didn't need anything more than the Diva VST for "analog" sounds... but I missed knobs. I've only had it for a few days but I'm now convinced all synths should be stereo.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

man I've been eyeing the M8 but decided to top for the Polyend a while back. It DOES look killer though, and the form factor can't be beat. How many channels can you program?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Martytoof posted:

man I've been eyeing the M8 but decided to top for the Polyend a while back. It DOES look killer though, and the form factor can't be beat. How many channels can you program?

Yeah, this. I've never seen these before.

Fats posted:

I'm in the process of downsizing, but I got a couple things recently that I wanted to mention cause they're rad.

1) M8 tracker -- this thing owns, owns, owns. Lots of synth engines and good sample support, actually decent built in speakers means I don't bother with headphones if I'm just messing around, and if I do want to record something it's usb class compliant straight to the computer. The tracker style suits a small device. Preordered this thing on a lark last year, and have zero regrets.

2) Dreadbox Typhon. I gave my Bass Station 2 away and told myself I didn't need anything more than the Diva VST for "analog" sounds... but I missed knobs. I've only had it for a few days but I'm now convinced all synths should be stereo.

Thank you. Imma have to look into that M8. I've got a soft spot for trackers. Whoah, looking at their page, boy that looks nice.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 30, 2021

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

Fun Shoe
8 channels, similar to the Polyend. Having had both, the M8 *feels* a lot more powerful than the Polyend, even though getting notes in was a lot faster with the extra buttons and knob.

Fats fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 30, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Don’t they have a core that you can run in an emulator or on a raspberry pi or something? I thought I read that at one point. Get a feel for the workflow/software before you get the hardware, which would be the reason to buy it anyway.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Anybody here using a tracker on their computer BTW? Which one? There are still some good ones out there, right?

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

petit choux posted:

Anybody here using a tracker on their computer BTW? Which one? There are still some good ones out there, right?

Renoise is quite good and affordable. Also runs perfectly on linux.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

Don’t they have a core that you can run in an emulator or on a raspberry pi or something? I thought I read that at one point. Get a feel for the workflow/software before you get the hardware, which would be the reason to buy it anyway.

Yeah, there's a "headless" firmware you can put on any Teensy 4.1 board and then run the interface on your computer or in a browser, which would be a fun project.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

petit choux posted:

I have an A500 and I’m using Octamed but it’s a pain to drag it out and set it up in my small music space tbqh so the Polyend gets much more use.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Fats posted:

Yeah, there's a "headless" firmware you can put on any Teensy 4.1 board and then run the interface on your computer or in a browser, which would be a fun project.

Wow, that's kinda cool. So aside from being a tracker, we're looking at the smallest groovebox aren't we.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Fats posted:

It's funny -- as I keep getting more into modular and learning more about subtractive and FM synthesis, I keep expecting that I'm going to outgrow my Erebus (V3). But it continues opening up and getting even further integrated into my patches.

Same goes for my Eudemonia. Recently took it out of my rack as part of making room for a Quad VCA and a Maths, and I quickly realized how much it shaped my patches. It's going back in once my second Mantis gets here.

Dreadbox makes good stuff.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Does this count

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Maybe this is a better pic, I dunno. ED: Wuf, wrong thread. Well, it was open for a reason, this is my kit Theremin. It's actually a MIDI controller with a Theremin interface. Pretty easy build. The cardboard enclosure was more time consuming than the soldering was.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 2, 2021

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Got a nektar lx, so I finally have a full sized keyboard. I am making a pact to either practice the piano 2+ hours a week through January, or I am loving selling this thing.

Key response seems good, overall feels like a decent unit, but for three hundred loving dollars is it really too much to expect either a USB cord or an AC adapter? Yes, I have 2-3 extra USB cords but still....

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

My new axe:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I was fed up with the home made maple-leg-and-CDX setup I had which made it super uncomfortable to use a full size keyboard.

So, I used more CDX and more maple boughs and did this.

I run my "REC OUT" to a tape deck, because I'm a 80s baby lunatic

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

CatBlack posted:

+1 to Renoise by the way, it’s really good and it’s how I make all my stuff. That said, it bills itself as samples-first, and I haven't used it for that all that much, so :shrug: I will say that the sample editor UI is a bit poo poo - I'm having trouble finding a way to define one part of a sample as an attack, another as the sustain, and the last as a release.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 7, 2021

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

CatBlack posted:

thirding/fourthing/whatevering renoise. to date it is the only music software that i was happy to pay for. it's so fun and flexible

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
My POs are protected

It's kind of a bitch and a half to glue the buttons together but I like the end result

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

A:

CatBlack posted:

My POs are protected

It's kind of a bitch and a half to glue the buttons together but I like the end result

Q: Do you have structural PCBs in your house?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
https://www.proaudiostar.com/gator-cases-g-tourlounge.html

I legit thought this was an April fool's ad and I was like, "but wait it's November."

I think I need it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

For $3500 that had better be the most comfortable seat.

e: Oh it's a whole set.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Got this guy:

to go with this guy:

because it can't send program changes and you need program changes to access the 670 voices in this guy (via MIDI, that is):

And I haven't figured out how they are arranged but I can now get a few hundred at least.

lmbo calrissian
Feb 1, 2007

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
sorry but is there a thread in this sub that i can ask for monitor/speaker recommendations?

also store recommendations so i can snag a sweet BF deal

lmbo calrissian fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 23, 2021

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Goddammit this is gonna be a whole thing isn’t it. :negative:

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Admittedly not a purchase but I've successfully returned from a trip and extricated my Mexican Jag that was sitting in my mum's garage for nearly a decade.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Captain Splendid posted:

Admittedly not a purchase but I've successfully returned from a trip and extricated my Mexican Jag that was sitting in my mum's garage for nearly a decade.

Beautiful collection. How do you like the Squier VI?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Beautiful collection. How do you like the Squier VI?

It plays nicely and sounds great, I just guess I don't know how to get the most out of it as an instrument

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Goddammit this is gonna be a whole thing isn’t it. :negative:

Apart from the drum machine, yeah, that's the same setup that got me hooked. :getin:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Help, I can't stop buying beige Akai gear

This should do the trick nicely to patch a few inputs out to my small amount of gear. I could have gotten by by combining a midi merge box with a midi thru since honestly I don't actually need ROUTING, just a way to get a few inputs out to all my devices but what it adds in unnecessary complexity it makes up for in sexy 80s style.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Pretty sure the previous owner paid more for the stickers than I paid for the guitar.

Requisite NOFX sticker

Squier Bullet Mustang, $105.49 from Pawn America's online store

And a Hondo bass amp, mostly because it still has its hang tag.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I had that same NOFX sticker on my guitar case.
It now belongs to my sister.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I was in Nashville a couple weeks ago and even though I didn't really mean to buy a new guitar (he says, despite having gone to 4 different music shops in 2 days) I fell in love with this weird thing:

It's a reissue of a '72 Tele Custom with a Lollar gold foil in the neck, an OX4 P90 in the bridge, and a Dusenberg Multibender bridge. It's as heavy as a 70s Les Paul and I need to lower the action a bit but I love the way it sounds and the multibender is so much fun. I've been listening to lots of Eno's Apollo and Daniel Lanois' solo stuff and having a blast playing ambient-y, pedal steel-y things through stacks of shimmer verb and granular looper things.

Now I just need to get the DecoBoom guy to make me a custom pickguard with cream polka dots on black and it'll be perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Lawen posted:

I was in Nashville a couple weeks ago and even though I didn't really mean to buy a new guitar (he says, despite having gone to 4 different music shops in 2 days) I fell in love with this weird thing:

It's a reissue of a '72 Tele Custom with a Lollar gold foil in the neck, an OX4 P90 in the bridge, and a Dusenberg Multibender bridge. It's as heavy as a 70s Les Paul and I need to lower the action a bit but I love the way it sounds and the multibender is so much fun. I've been listening to lots of Eno's Apollo and Daniel Lanois' solo stuff and having a blast playing ambient-y, pedal steel-y things through stacks of shimmer verb and granular looper things.

Now I just need to get the DecoBoom guy to make me a custom pickguard with cream polka dots on black and it'll be perfect.

Oh that is sick as hell.