Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

dalstrs posted:

CVS and Walgreens have started scheduling vaccines for kids. Have my son's first scheduled for Sunday.
Yup, got both of mine in for this weekend.

https://www.walgreens.com/findcare/vaccination/covid/19/landing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Speaking of data quality:
https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1455567528365903876
The graphs in the picture are really quite striking...

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Yeah, canceled my Tuesday appointments at Meijer and got the girls a slot at Walgreens on Saturday morning.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

My school is starting a podcast and the first interview is with one of my mentors Dr. Mary Schooling who 1) has an amazing posh British accent and 2) has VERY strong opinions about bad research. She's talking about assessing health research quality and mostly focused on clinical trials: why we do them, trial registration, and a few alternatives to RCTs. She avoids almost all jargon which is helpful.

It might be a little simplistic for folks in this thread, but I figured it could be good to send to friends/family who want to hear a basic primer on health research from an epidemiologist https://sphlearn.weebly.com/podcast

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
https://twitter.com/MicrobiomDigest/status/1455777510084399104?s=20

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Rosalind posted:

My school is starting a podcast and the first interview is with one of my mentors Dr. Mary Schooling who 1) has an amazing posh British accent and 2) has VERY strong opinions about bad research. She's talking about assessing health research quality and mostly focused on clinical trials: why we do them, trial registration, and a few alternatives to RCTs. She avoids almost all jargon which is helpful.

It might be a little simplistic for folks in this thread, but I figured it could be good to send to friends/family who want to hear a basic primer on health research from an epidemiologist https://sphlearn.weebly.com/podcast

Thanks so much for sharing this Rosalind. I'll throw up a link to the podcast in the OP as well.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Smeef posted:

You might be able to trick a few anti-vaxxers into getting their jabs by making some social media posts extolling this great new drug called tozinameran. Maybe throw in a few dodgy pre-prints that are tangentially related to it and something about promising trials underway with white-tail deer populations.

a preliminary pre-print suggesting white tail deer penises grew by 3-55% on average after administration should do the trick

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

a preliminary pre-print suggesting white tail deer penises grew by 3-55% on average after administration should do the trick

tshirt that says "I took the bill gates microchip vaccine and all I got was this huge fat cock".

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Smeef posted:

Honestly when I compare HK to Australia, I don't know what explains the difference. It might just be a matter of time. Comparing your points one by one:

It's worth noting that, while people in the rest of the world see Australia as having been forced to abandon zero-COVID, that's only happened in Victoria, New South Wales and the ACT. Western Australia, South Australia, Tasmania, Queensland and the Northern Territory all have hard state border closures to the plague states and are still successfully living COVID-zero like Taiwan/HK/China. That's about 10 millon people, or more than a third of the country.

As with e.g. HK I think part of it so far is just a matter of luck that will eventually run out (though they're only committed to COVID-zero for another couple months at the most anyway, until the vax rates are high enough). Queensland in particular keeps getting positive cases from truck drivers etc which it seems to manage to shrug off each time.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I feel like, no matter what the politicians and public say about the pandemic, the truth is that CDC has done a terrible job and would have let everyone down even if the public was on the same page.

Perhaps we need to reassign immunization protocol and regulation to the FDA, because the CDC has been loving up all over since this began.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Craptacular! posted:

I feel like, no matter what the politicians and public say about the pandemic, the truth is that CDC has done a terrible job and would have let everyone down even if the public was on the same page.

Perhaps we need to reassign immunization protocol and regulation to the FDA, because the CDC has been loving up all over since this began.

Good news, the FDA is already the government organization with regulatory authority over vaccinations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

OddObserver posted:

Speaking of data quality:
https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1455567528365903876
The graphs in the picture are really quite striking...

People there are still refusing to get vaccinated. Two weeks ago they shut down schools and kindergartens in the country again and sent all kids home "until the end of the year, for the holidays" to help control this. Then last week everything else went under full lockdown again. It's bad. Gov't messaging is stuck between "it's actually not bad, Russia strong, anything you hear from the West about our deaths is propaganda!", and "go get vaccinated please!" so it's not going to get any better.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Nov 4, 2021

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Rad Russian posted:

People there are still refusing to get vaccinated. Two weeks ago they shut down schools and kindergartens in the country again and sent all kids home "until the end of the year, for the holidays" to help control this. Then last week everything else went under full lockdown again. It's bad. Gov't messaging is stuck between "it's actually not bad, Russia strong, anything you hear from the West about our deaths is propaganda!", and "go get vaccinated please!" so it's not going to get any better.

The fact they only allow their own vaccines + the fact they poisoned that well by denigrating everyone else's vaccines as dangerous and untested and etc (which led to distrust of all vaccines) doesn't help either.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Isn't Sputnik highly effective as well? That's really tragic.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Oracle posted:

The fact they only allow their own vaccines + the fact they poisoned that well by denigrating everyone else's vaccines as dangerous and untested and etc (which led to distrust of all vaccines) doesn't help either.

Didn't we also do that about their vaccines?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I think the amount of headspace and headline space foreign vaccines got here is basically nil. Of them all Sputnik probably got the most because the pump is already so primed to fearmonger about Russia, but domestically we had J&J as a much juicier target for anybody wanting to write a story about how caution is required because blahblahblah. Sinovac, Cuba's vaccines, any of the others really people couldn't care less about since we're awash in what we've been convinced is the good stuff.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

IIRC it's not mRNA level effective but is somewhere around AZ or J&J. Still good, but from what I recall the issue was, at least with a lot of countries it was exported to, more "Did the vial actually contain the proper stuff" because great Russian biotech research was once again undercut by terrible Russian manufacturing.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Remember that Israeli study saying that the vaccines are less effective at preventing COVID infection compared to unvaccinated people with a previous infection? Well here's a CDC-funded study saying the exact opposite that just came out in this week's MMWR: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7044e1.htm

quote:

Among COVID-19–like illness hospitalizations in persons whose previous infection or vaccination occurred 90–179 days earlier, the odds of laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 were higher among previously infected, unvaccinated patients than among fully vaccinated patients (aOR = 5.49; 95% CI = 2.75–10.99)

Though this study included people from January 2021 onward, they did a secondary analysis examining just patients during Delta and had a similar finding. The sample size for that analysis was comparatively small, however.

I will note that this study is still subject to many of the same biases that affect observational studies: namely confounding and selection bias. In particular, I'd be worried about confounding by who chooses to receive the vaccine which may have a very different set of confounders in the US vs. Israel.

The authors do propose two possible explanations: (1) that the Israeli study was looking at positive tests in the general population, not lab-confirmed COVID in hospital settings and (2) that the Israeli study only included those 6+ months after vaccination. This could suggest that previous infection protects better against mild infection, but vaccination protects better against hospitalization.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

I think the amount of headspace and headline space foreign vaccines got here is basically nil.

All I ever heard about was Sinovac and only in the context of China hoovering up more precious Soft Power in SE Asia and the South Pacific.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

IIRC it's not mRNA level effective but is somewhere around AZ or J&J.

Speaking of vaccine patriotism, the only place I hear that AZ is less good than Pfizer is from Americans. My understanding was that they're equally good at preventing hospitalisation and death, and Pfizer is about 20% more effective than AZ at preventing symptomatic illness but that wanes to a point below AZ across 6 months while AZ remains steady.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
There's definitely a sentiment that AZ is an inferior vaccine in Canada (to the point that in Ontario AZ recipients were fast-tracked to get some of the first booster shots, along with 70+ and indigenous people.)

I don't think it's publicly available anymore, although I've heard that you can get it if you have an allergic reaction to something in the mRNA vaccines.

enki42 fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 5, 2021

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
lol, I've now been accused of child abuse and hating my kids three times for telling folks in a local Facebook group they can book appointments at Walgreens and CVS.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

dwarf74 posted:

lol, I've now been accused of child abuse and hating my kids three times for telling folks in a local Facebook group they can book appointments at Walgreens and CVS.

To be fair, those parents are probably desperate for the last few years with their kids before they grow up and shut them out of their life forever.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Rosalind posted:

Remember that Israeli study saying that the vaccines are less effective at preventing COVID infection compared to unvaccinated people with a previous infection? Well here's a CDC-funded study saying the exact opposite that just came out in this week's MMWR: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7044e1.htm

Though this study included people from January 2021 onward, they did a secondary analysis examining just patients during Delta and had a similar finding. The sample size for that analysis was comparatively small, however.

I will note that this study is still subject to many of the same biases that affect observational studies: namely confounding and selection bias. In particular, I'd be worried about confounding by who chooses to receive the vaccine which may have a very different set of confounders in the US vs. Israel.

The authors do propose two possible explanations: (1) that the Israeli study was looking at positive tests in the general population, not lab-confirmed COVID in hospital settings and (2) that the Israeli study only included those 6+ months after vaccination. This could suggest that previous infection protects better against mild infection, but vaccination protects better against hospitalization.

I think that prior infection as more/less protective than vaccination is a bit of a red herring for a couple of reasons.

- If we're trying to answer "should people with prior infection vaccinate" it doesn't really matter if they are more or less protected than people without prior infection. What's important is whether vaccination offers enough additional benefit to offset the additional minimal risk, and evidence suggests that is ture. There's a prospective cohort study with active surveillance out of the UK (finally published) that estimated that showed that vaccination provided ~70%+ additional protection against infection for people who had previously had COVID, and protection was more stable than two-dose Pfizer or AZ (much like boosting)*. The sample size was too small to assess serious disease/death, but given the waning protection from vaccinations and waning protection against infection, it would be surprising if it did not wane from prior infection as well. On the population level, the protection against infection wanes enough that vaccinating (and perhaps boosting) those with prior infection is critical if we want to use mandated vaccinations to reduce endemic attack rates.

- As far a policy goes, offering prior infection as an alternative to vaccination for eg workplace vaccine mandates risks feeding the growing "natural immunity" school of anti-vaxxers. Some might just wait for infection (while not taking precautions) and some might go so far as to seek it out, but the likely effect would be undermining mandates and giving anti-vaxxers yet another foothold. If there were no personal or public health benefits to vaccination post-infection then it would be a tougher call, but since evidence suggests that there are significant benefits there's really no need to try to weigh relative protection when it comes to vaccination policies.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

freebooter posted:

All I ever heard about was Sinovac and only in the context of China hoovering up more precious Soft Power in SE Asia and the South Pacific.

Speaking of vaccine patriotism, the only place I hear that AZ is less good than Pfizer is from Americans. My understanding was that they're equally good at preventing hospitalisation and death, and Pfizer is about 20% more effective than AZ at preventing symptomatic illness but that wanes to a point below AZ across 6 months while AZ remains steady.
Several European countries literally removed AZ from their vaccine programs because of a few cases of rate blood clots that lead to some deaths. AZ is widely regarded as inferior in the EU. It didn't help that the blood clots came after months of AZ not delivering their agreed amounts to the EU while giving full deliveries to England right after Brexit.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
This weekend's 1,200 kid shot appointments available from the county health department here were all gone within 30 minutes of go-live. There's also no pharmacy appointments within 25 miles that I can find for the next week (at least).

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

I signed up for my booster, and there was only one pharmacy in the area that had available spots for Friday afternoon. I even checked other vax types out of curiosity, and this was the only one with spots open. Weirdly, it had all of the spots between noon and closing available, so who knows? I only checked CVS, though.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

freebooter posted:

It's a little bit more complicated than that because of dose timing differences and the fact that there are fewer studies of waning in AZ than Pfizer. The dose timing matters because the longer interval between first and second doses seems to improve the effectiveness and waning curve of both AZ and Pfizer, at the cost of being much, much less protected in the interim. Given the very high infection rates during roll-out in places like the US and UK, a fourth-month inter-dose period is a significant increase in overall risk.

I haven't been keeping up with new papers/preprints as much as I had been, but the few I've seen suggest that AZ protection still wanes significantly. The paper linked in my last post suggests that it might wane slower than Pfizer, but this (preprint) PHE analysis from September suggests a similar curve, with AZ consistently offering less protection. That PHE preprint is the only study I've been able to find of AZ protection against hospitalization/death over time, and it suggests that AZ actually wanes faster (and significantly) on both measures.

The other concern with adenovirus vaccines in general is that it is possible that adenovirus boosters may be less effective if recipients develop antibodies to the adenovirus vector itself, which would mean that mix-and-match boosters might be better (though not necessarily mRNA - traditional inactivated virus or subunit vaccines could be effective too). My understanding is that this is not directly a concern for mRNA vaccines, though because the tech is new to large-scale deployment they are monitoring for potential issues from repeated exposure.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Rosalind posted:

Thanks for posting this! I haven't had a chance to listen yet, but I love hearing how experienced epidemiologists present these topics to the general public. I'm also interested to hear her opinions on methodology and RCTs, since there are a lot of details and caveats that can lead to contention even within the field.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Is there any reason to lean towards mix/matching or getting the same company's vaccine for a booster?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Trial results were good, but they had manufacturing and quality control issues to the extent that they shipped vials with replication-competent adenovirus. These issues brought rejection from many would-be clients.

They publicly handled the rejection in the worst possible way.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Didn't we also do that about their vaccines?

lol

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

Spacebump posted:

Is there any reason to lean towards mix/matching or getting the same company's vaccine for a booster?
The typical advice is that the differences are relatively minor and you should just get whatever is easiest and quickest.
The more nuanced advice for vaccine connoisseurs such as people reading this thread is basically:
https://twitter.com/mikesington/status/1455980142149443590
And that image comes from this WSJ summary of an NIH study.
(Although probably worth pointing out that study looked at a full Moderna booster dose, while the FDA only authorized a half. The consensus still tends to suggest mixing, nonetheless.)

Phlag fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 5, 2021

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

dwarf74 posted:

gently caress those people. My 5yo daughter's 1st shot is scheduled for Monday. :hf:

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Spacebump posted:

The theory of mix/matching is called heterologous vaccination, and it's basically the idea that exposing your immune system to a wider variety of vaccines creates a broader antiviral response. It's particularly recommended for J&J recipients, but the theory predates Covid-19 and is a fairly solid one.

The opposing theory is to maximize antibodies by picking out the vaccine with the strongest (albeit temporary) impact. Full dose Moderna has the highest levels, but since their booster is a half-dose I'd expect that the Pfizer booster probably pumps up your system more.

Personally I am convinced on the merits of mix/matching, so I followed my Pfizer vaccination with a Moderna booster.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Fritz the Horse posted:

You're all making this out to be far more complicated than it need be.

Simply nerve staple your citizens. Drone riots will not occur for at least 10 turns.

...and then what, once the nerve stapling wears off and the drones have built up an immunity?

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Gynovore posted:

...and then what, once the nerve stapling wears off and the drones have built up an immunity?

Sounds a lot like the next generation's problem, friend

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Kaal posted:

The theory of mix/matching is called heterologous vaccination, and it's basically the idea that exposing your immune system to a wider variety of vaccines creates a broader antiviral response. It's particularly recommended for J&J recipients, but the theory predates Covid-19 and is a fairly solid one.

The opposing theory is to maximize antibodies by picking out the vaccine with the strongest (albeit temporary) impact. Full dose Moderna has the highest levels, but since their booster is a half-dose I'd expect that the Pfizer booster probably pumps up your system more.

Personally I am convinced on the merits of mix/matching, so I followed my Pfizer vaccination with a Moderna booster.

Wait, the third Pfizer wasn't half-dosed as well?

I work healthcare so I got my Pfizer 3 as soon as I was eligible but my wife is Moderna x2 and was considering mixing it up with Pfizer. If they halve Moderna but keep Pfizer as a full shot she might have bigger antibody response and heterologous advantage with Pfizer, yeah?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

LeeMajors posted:

Wait, the third Pfizer wasn't half-dosed as well?

I work healthcare so I got my Pfizer 3 as soon as I was eligible but my wife is Moderna x2 and was considering mixing it up with Pfizer. If they halve Moderna but keep Pfizer as a full shot she might have bigger antibody response and heterologous advantage with Pfizer, yeah?

Correct, only the Moderna was half-sized. The Pfizer and J&J boosters are the full dose.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
A half dose of Moderna is still more active ingredient by mass (fifty micrograms to thirty). With the mRNA coded by different teams and using different proprietary lipid encapsulation, it’s not impossible that thirty micrograms of Pfizer’s stuff is more potent, but would anyone take that bet at even money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Phlag posted:

The typical advice is that the differences are relatively minor and you should just get whatever is easiest and quickest.
The more nuanced advice for vaccine connoisseurs such as people reading this thread is basically:
https://twitter.com/mikesington/status/1455980142149443590
And that image comes from this WSJ summary of an NIH study.
(Although probably worth pointing out that study looked at a full Moderna booster dose, while the FDA only authorized a half. The consensus still tends to suggest mixing, nonetheless.)

Interesting. Although wouldn't mixing involve "lying" to your shot provider? At least in the US. I just did a Pfizer booster at Walgreens and if you specify Pfizer for the first two shots you have to do a Pfizer booster. They also want to see vaccination card/evidence of the first two shots. I'm guessing you'd need to go "oh I've never had a vaccine and I want first shot of moderna please" to accomplish the mix which means you won't have it all on the same vaccine card.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 5, 2021