Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/theyluvdestinyr/status/1456256583680229386?t=DKD4RXeBocnsvT1vZJCOYw&s=19

Yes

Correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

DoombatINC posted:

I would go with Raising Arizona, not necessarily even because it's the "best" but it's so comfortable and accessible

raising arizona isn't their best but it's probably my favorite

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Hudsucker Proxy is really fun and an underrated Coen Brothers movie imo.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

McCloud posted:

Like the rest of your posts, this is wrong. It's not hard to check my post history here, and I literally only talk about him in here is when someone else brings him up. You've made more posts about him than I have in this thread

you only pop in when someone brings him up, because you name search... not yourself, but snyder's name. :sad:

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

O Brother Where Art Thou is a fun rear end movie with a great soundtrack.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

RandolphCarter posted:

O Brother Where Art Thou is a fun rear end movie with a great soundtrack.

I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
I recently watched Intolerable Cruelty for the 1st time, it has a rep as being one of the Coens' lesser movies but I thought it was really funny, enjoyed it a lot

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

McCloud posted:

Like the rest of your posts, this is wrong. It's not hard to check my post history here, and I literally only talk about him in here is when someone else brings him up. You've made more posts about him than I have in this thread

I just checked again and I am right. another pathetic gaslighting attempt from the baby movie brigade

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Farm Frenzy posted:

I just checked again and I am right. another pathetic gaslighting attempt from the baby movie brigade

So you're stupid as well as illiterate. Good to know!

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

McCloud posted:

So you're stupid as well as illiterate. Good to know!

Turn on your monitor.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Hirsute posted:

I recently watched Intolerable Cruelty for the 1st time, it has a rep as being one of the Coens' lesser movies but I thought it was really funny, enjoyed it a lot

I've seen every Coen movie and Intolerable Cruelty and The Ladykillers are the least of their efforts but they've still got a few good things in them

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Honestly I wouldn't even bother watching the Ladykillers unless you're a seriously devoted Coen bros stan.

Obnoxious church lady accidentally murders a bunch of jerks sounds kinda funny on paper but they do not stick the landing.

It's even a remake so I can't say it qualifies as an interesting/original failure

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Eric Cantonese posted:

I still don't get the whole Zack Snyder thing, but everything about pop culture confuses me now.

Let the record show I was trying to poo poo post about Armondo Iannuci's DoS and Joss Whedon's whole career but haters were all "what about zack snyder?? Zack Snyder?! ZACK SNYDER!!!" and how am I supposed to resist going :smug: "yah, he's good" like I can't fit anymore warnings into my avatar it's full up lol

Anyways

Cloks posted:

death of Stalin rules, all my communist friends love death of Stalin

Same, and my fellow succdems too. In fact the only ppl I know irl who are leery or have straight up refused to watch it are the libs & tories. Make of that what you will.

Re: DoS being anti-communist

Maybe the comic and film were intended as such (the only other thing I've seen of Iannucci is his fake interview bit in Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle and I don't remember/care who made the comic) but the movie doesn't really come across that way. It's very broad and farcical in it's portrayal of the power vacuum. Change the names of the characters (who are heavily fictionalized to point of caricature) and it could be an imperial court or the Vatican.

But then I'm not a commie so maybe I wouldn't notice anyways :shrug:

KomradeX posted:

Glad I never got around to reading the comic than, but yeah the entire casting was fantastic, I remember at the time a lot of people saying it was a brilliant move to use all these different English accents as an analogy for the different accents found among Soviet leadership.

The part where theyre jockeying for position at thr funeral was fantastic

Oh that's neat, I just assumed Iannucci didn't bother with accents because it wasn't about accuracy.

And yeah I would never recommend the comic.
A) the art is bad
B) it opens with Beria graphically raping a girl
C) it ends with Beria giving a tragic "where did we go wrong" esque soliloquy before his execution

The movie on the other hand looks great for a comedy, heavily implies the rape without showing it, and has him die like an animal. Better choices all around!

josh04 posted:

a serious man is absolutely sublime

Lebowski is my favourite of theirs but I acknowledge that serious man is probably their best

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.theincalmovie.com/

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
on later seasons of Frasier they wrote the character of Roz as having a baby but then they just ignored that development because Kelsey Grammer didn't want to work on a set that had to keep the kind of hours a child actor would require.

so he's basically Frasier Crane.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Didn't Kelsey Grammar do a conservative "comedy" film that was as painfully unfunny as you'd expect a conservative comedy to be?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

McCloud posted:

Didn't Kelsey Grammar do a conservative "comedy" film that was as painfully unfunny as you'd expect a conservative comedy to be?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgEli5zAi0U

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

McCloud posted:

swing vote?

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

i say swears online posted:

a serious man is good

also i remember liking the ally mcbeal version of midsummer night's dream but it's been 20 years

doesn’t that version have Kevin Kline as Bottom? iirc he fuckin nailed it as Bottom

heck yeah, Kevin Kline

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

I couldnt handle how boring it was and stopped watching 30 minutes in, but wasnt civil war literally this

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mandatory lesbian posted:

I couldnt handle how boring it was and stopped watching 30 minutes in, but wasnt civil war literally this

Civil War was a dispute between

"the US will let us off the hook if we let ourselves become an arm of the US"

and

"the US should just let us off the hook entirely"

with the latter being the faction that won out in the end

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Death of Stalin's just a really funny look at a dysfunctional elite environment but it's not exactly hard for those inclined to do so to come to the conclusion that "this says a lot about communism".

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

YaketySass posted:

Death of Stalin's just a really funny look at a dysfunctional elite environment but it's not exactly hard for those inclined to do so to come to the conclusion that "this says a lot about communism".

there were also way too many who came away from Chernobyl thinking that the message of it was that "this was a tragedy of mismanagement that could only ever have possibly happened under communism"

Serf
May 5, 2011

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

now I want a coen brothers MCU flick

https://twitter.com/lecinephiles/status/1456028296769163269?s=12

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

there were also way too many who came away from Chernobyl thinking that the message of it was that "this was a tragedy of mismanagement that could only ever have possibly happened under communism"

iirc that's what the creator of the show meant

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Right before Covid too!

Serf
May 5, 2011

Doctor Jeep posted:

iirc that's what the creator of the show meant

he did, but i think the big takeaway he wanted was that people would see it as a climate change metaphor

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

there is no way they even come close to a faithful adaptation. they won't do the prez cloning. they won't bother with the actual stuff about how believing in oneself and one's friends is the real power of the incal. they won't bother making John DiFool the eternal dreamer. and I can't even imagine what kind of halfassed desexualized garbage they'll replace the Berg protoqueen with.

i'm working myself up now so I'm not too upset later

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Serf posted:

he did, but i think the big takeaway he wanted was that people would see it as a climate change metaphor

Meanwhile my takeaway was "Wow, they actually cared and were able to mobilise their resources in order to stop a disaster and find the ones responsible, the Soviet Union owned, this would never happen in capitalism".

Serf
May 5, 2011

grate deceiver posted:

Meanwhile my takeaway was "Wow, they actually cared and were able to mobilise their resources in order to stop a disaster and find the ones responsible, the Soviet Union owned, this would never happen in capitalism".

yeah there's that whole sequence about the conscript who has to grapple with the task of shooting dogs and eventually becoming numb to it, but all i could think was "if this happened in america the only two outcomes would be that killing the radioactive dogs is unprofitable and they would run rampant or thirteen gig work apps would spring up paying bounties for killed radioactive dogs"

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

drat horror queefs posted:

Honestly I wouldn't even bother watching the Ladykillers unless you're a seriously devoted Coen bros stan.

I saw Ladykillers as a kid in a second run theater when they were marketing Coen Brothers' movies as these hilarious comedies.
Kid me was very confused.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

I saw Ladykillers as a kid in a second run theater when they were marketing Coen Brothers' movies as these hilarious comedies.
Kid me was very confused.

I dragged all my friends to it after seeing o brother

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Saw DUNC yesterday and it owned.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

It rules

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
what the gently caress is an incal? I thought that was those red pilled redittors

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

didnt jodorowsky rape an actress on camera or something? or are there multiple jodorowskys

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

gradenko_2000 posted:

Civil War was a dispute between

"the US will let us off the hook if we let ourselves become an arm of the US"

and

"the US should just let us off the hook entirely"

with the latter being the faction that won out in the end

From what I can tell with the later marvel movies it seems like the conclusion was "why not both?"

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/MetroUK/status/1456289142061649927?s=20

I can't believe China would do this

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Communist Thoughts posted:

didnt jodorowsky rape an actress on camera or something? or are there multiple jodorowskys

someone asked him about it a few years ago and he claimed to have been saying whatever edgelord poo poo came into his head to promote the movie at the time. make of that what you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

McCloud posted:

You are a perfect illustration of Snyder’s toxic fandom and toxic fandom in general