Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Thanks for the explanations guys,i completely forgot about Dr.strange shenanigans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Maybe I'm wrong, but this feels like Ghostbusters 2016 where it had a lot of terrible people loudly hating it for dumb culture war trash reasons, but after a while everyone else quietly admitted to themselves that the movie was actually just lovely for normal bad movie reasons.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

josh04 posted:

Kingo's manager made a good impression in the Bollywood clip, actually. More of that guy please.

Watch Mr India.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Basebf555 posted:

Alfie Allen was good in John Wick and I recently saw him in that Netflix vampire movie Night Teeth and he was good in that too.

Alfie Allen is great, that guy deserves to get way more work. Richard Madden was decent in the Elton John thing.

The other young actors on GOT were decent to great depending on how good the writing and plotting was, but when the last ~3 years of the show took a dive it became clear who was actually not that good. I imagine it much be tough to get the breathing room to develop as a serious actor when you're always going to be that person from GOT. Also seems like some of them came out of it borderline traumatized.

At least the money was good.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

https://twitter.com/TaikaWaititi/status/1456305511146528776

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Does Kingo get demoted to Counto.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
drat. Taika Waititi is an Incel?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I kinda wish they were adapting the metabarons instead

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Adapt Dune.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

teagone posted:

Marvel Studios could never make anything as baller as this set piece from Bajirao Mastani:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_MyUGq7pgs

This is magnificent, and I will now watch this at least once daily.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

teagone posted:

Marvel Studios could never make anything as baller as this set piece from Bajirao Mastani:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_MyUGq7pgs

Finally I know where the meme is from.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Somewhere, right now, Luc Besson is screaming.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://www.theonion.com/5-things-to-know-about-eternals-1847999960

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I was more thinking about Sophie Turner's ambien-like take on Jean Gray, Emilia Clarke's performance in Terminator, Peter Dinklage sleepwalking through X-men and his Destiny voiceover work, Iain Glen in the Racer, and Richard Madden.

All of the cast ended up with major film roles following GOT where they gave performances that were steep drops in quality from the show.

By a staggering coincidence, all of those worse performances were in bad films. Except Days of Future past, which was fine I guess.

Basebf555 posted:

I feel like Sophie Turner is the one who stands out as really just not very talented. I've never seen her play a scene with any believable emotion, everything she does has this malaise to it.

This is very unfair on Emilia Clarke, who was much worse with a much more to work with on the show.

Waititi is good but that's a loving weird match between director and source material.

The Incal is great, go read it.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Kulkasha posted:

Somewhere, right now, Luc Besson is screaming.

good

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

sean10mm posted:

Maybe I'm wrong, but this feels like Ghostbusters 2016 where it had a lot of terrible people loudly hating it for dumb culture war trash reasons, but after a while everyone else quietly admitted to themselves that the movie was actually just lovely for normal bad movie reasons.

So I'm not plugged into circles beyond this

Is there hate being thrown at Eternals that isn't what you find around here? Because it feels like everyone already acknowledges that it's just going to be lovely for normal reasons

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Yeah, I'm not really seeing a culture war backlash with Eternals, seemingly because all of the MCU PR about it (first gay couple! First sex scene! First POC majority cast!) is stuff that they've literally done before. It all feels very manufactured and flopsweaty.

Like they can't decide how to market it culturally after the "Chloe Zhao made it an art film" thing didn't really take off. They haven't really been able to figure out a way to turn watching the movie into a moral good.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, I'm not really seeing a culture war backlash with Eternals, seemingly because all of the MCU PR about it (first gay couple! First sex scene! First POC majority cast!) is stuff that they've literally done before. It all feels very manufactured and flopsweaty.

Like they can't decide how to market it culturally after the "Chloe Zhao made it an art film" thing didn't really take off. They haven't really been able to figure out a way to turn watching the movie into a moral good.

The "Chloe Zhao made it an art film" stuff also clashes with it also trying to embrace the absurdity of the source material, trying to lean into it by proudly announcing that there's a character called 'Druig' (which is a dumber name than Kingo and I will die on this hill)

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Mat Cauthon posted:

I imagine it much be tough to get the breathing room to develop as a serious actor when you're always going to be that person from GOT.
Jason Momoa said in an interview that after GoT he couldn’t get work. He said he later found out that most people assumed he didn’t speak any English due to his GoT role.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Momoa was also blessed to leave the show near it's peak and have an insanely memorable character.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

LesterGroans posted:

it's a way to camouflage some of the reactions to it not being a very good movie imo, you can just say "well if you didn't like this movie it must be because of your prejudice against one or more of the carefully focus-grouped characters"

josh04 posted:

Kingo's manager made a good impression in the Bollywood clip, actually. More of that guy please.

yeah he's great.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Eternals was officially banned in 5 countries and 4 more are considering bans.

The gay stuff is not surprising, but I hadn't heard that Kuwait and Qatar have issues with depicting fictional god-like characters. Do they have committees to determine how god-like a character has to be to qualify for a ban?

Also wondering what Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, and Oman objected to so strongly that they banned it that wasn't the gay stuff.

quote:

‘Eternals’ Banned in Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain & Oman

The anticipated robust overseas box office of Disney/Marvel’s Eternals, which posted a first day of $7.6M, will definitely not have Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain and Oman in its future release plans.

Eternals was originally scheduled to open in the region on Nov. 11.

While official reasons weren’t provided by either the studio or the local territories, here’s our understanding of what went down:

In Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and Oman, the censors were seeking further cuts beyond any scenes of intimacy and that Disney opted not to make the edits, hence distribution certificates weren’t issued.

Meanwhile in Kuwait and Qatar, the Chloe Zhao-directed super-gods movie was blocked. The issue, we hear, may not solely be the same-sex kiss, but rather that overall these markets have historically had a problem with the depiction of gods and prophets, something they consider blasphemous.

In the United Arab Emirates, Jordan, Lebanon and Egypt we understand that a version of the film will be released that removes all scenes of intimacy — be they heterosexual or homosexual. This is generally normal practice for these markets.

https://deadline.com/2021/11/eternals-banned-saudi-arabia-qatar-kuwait-bahrain-oman-1234867992/

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
yeah to be fair one of the things the movie does very well is showing the scale of the Celestials, like Arishem

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The movie just seems superfluous to all the other corners of the Marvel universe, like “here’s another bunch of dudes who were on earth all along we promise!” like fuckin Nikki and Paolo in Lost, why are they introducing these characters now, who caaaaaares????

What I’m saying is I hope the eternals all get bitten by a spider then buried alive

I literally am still not sure what the difference is between these people and the Inhumans they tried to make a thing

And I don’t really want to find out

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Like what I know from marketing is the eternals are here to fight the deviants and frankly it sounds like a divergent movie

Who are these people ugh

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hedrigall posted:

The movie just seems superfluous to all the other corners of the Marvel universe, like “here’s another bunch of dudes who were on earth all along we promise!” like fuckin Nikki and Paolo in Lost, why are they introducing these characters now, who caaaaaares????

What I’m saying is I hope the eternals all get bitten by a spider then buried alive

I literally am still not sure what the difference is between these people and the Inhumans they tried to make a thing

And I don’t really want to find out

Of course they can't be Inhumanoids

Kingo is Eternal

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Mr. Apollo posted:

Jason Momoa said in an interview that after GoT he couldn’t get work. He said he later found out that most people assumed he didn’t speak any English due to his GoT role.

Yeah, he credits Snyder for saving his career. Gal Gadot, Henry Lennox and Emely Browning said the same thing, they were on the verge of quitting and Zack reinvigorated their careers. So uh, I guess Gadot is his fault, lol

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

McCloud posted:

So uh, I guess Gadot is his fault, lol

Damnit, Zack :argh:

At least Gadot got sucked into doing a Disney movie. Hope she stays with Disney forever because lol.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

teagone posted:

Damnit, Zack :argh:

At least Gadot got sucked into doing a Disney movie. Hope she stays with Disney forever because lol.

Which Marvel character would you cast her as?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Which Marvel character would you cast her as?

Queeno

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

:psyduck:

His first name is Jason, for gently caress's sake.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
saw Eternals a bit earlier tonight. I enjoyed it overall, but I can definitely see where the more negative reviews are coming from; it’s just trying to do too much in terms of character introductions, backstory, and mythology for its running time, and its more ambitious aspects are at odds with its frequently retreating into franchise tropes (i.e. underlit fight scenes against hordes of CG cannon fodder, quips that interrupt key narrative beats). also, a few of the ensemble, Madden and Keoghan in particular, are not exactly doing their best work here

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Is there a 4 hour Zhao cut.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

teagone posted:

Is there a 4 hour Zhao cut.

I’d watch it if such a thing existed, but while Eternals is trying to do too much for its runtime, it doesn’t feel like it was drastically cut down in post-production from a much longer original version, either.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

lol I just found out that Firpo is the last name of one of the screenwriters and not an Eternal.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Roman Reigns posted:

:psyduck:

His first name is Jason, for gently caress's sake.

To be fair that's a Greek name

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Hedrigall posted:

It would be hilarious if Disney pulled off a real Nikki and Paulo, introducing some brand new super team that were there from the beginning, just out of frame, only to kill them off in the same film.

Of course they won't do that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ndh0fFwcyc

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Whoa careful with that anti-french sentiment in these parts bud

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Eternals is ambitious I’ll give it that

Man Barry key can’t do anything but sulk. I don’t believe for a second he’s ever cared for the suffering of a single human being

I’m talking about the actor not the character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Mr. Apollo posted:

He also made a rape joke at comic con which was uhh