Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I've been reading the Falco series over the past six months or so, and they've got a lot to say about the Roman police/firefighter combo. I assume it's fairly well researched, even if a lot of it is speculative fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The Lone Badger posted:

If your village is small enough then one guy yelling really loudly counts as mass-media.

I think they call them a muezzin.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

All centurions are bastards!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Telsa Cola posted:

while freeze distillation is a thing I havent seen that backdated that far out.

I mean it's not something necessarily something someone would even write about. Especially because, as mentioned, you'd need to be somewhere where it commonly gets below freezing in winter which is not the parts of the ancient world where people were writing things down. But all you have to do is leave your mead or w/e outside accidentally then remove the ice from it in the morning and it'll happen. It's not hard to discover.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

feedmegin posted:

I mean it's not something necessarily something someone would even write about. Especially because, as mentioned, you'd need to be somewhere where it commonly gets below freezing in winter which is not the parts of the ancient world where people were writing things down. But all you have to do is leave your mead or w/e outside accidentally then remove the ice from it in the morning and it'll happen. It's not hard to discover.

There's not really any deeper discussion to be had on that though with out any literary or material evidence beyond "Well, maybe?" though.

Basically it maybe happened, but we lack any evidence that anybody cared enough about it to do anything.

Besides, earliest record of people writing about it is something like 1300s (maybe), that's a whole lot of time with a whole lot of literate people's in areas where it gets cold enough to freeze that no one mentions it. The closest and oldest thing I have seen is Roman's discussing that grapes should be harvested after a frost because it makes better wine.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 5, 2021

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Water freezes at higher elevations notwithstanding any latitude

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Telsa Cola posted:

There's not really any deeper discussion to be had on that though with out any literary or material evidence beyond "Well, maybe?" though.

Basically it maybe happened, but we lack any evidence that anybody cared enough about it to do anything.

Besides, earliest record of people writing about it is something like 1300s (maybe), that's a whole lot of time with a whole lot of literate people's in areas where it gets cold enough to freeze that no one mentions it. The closest and oldest thing I have seen is Roman's discussing that grapes should be harvested after a frost because it makes better wine.

I was just thinking about this and talking it over with someone who has some chemistry knowledge and we were trying to figure out if this is because the wine comes from grapes that already fermented or if it's because grapes that have frozen would have ruptured membranes and therefore be easier to extract juice from.

edit: also, parts of Italy can get very cold because it's mountainous and the Romans would absolutely have places to store wine that would result in frost forming.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Ithle01 posted:

I was just thinking about this and talking it over with someone who has some chemistry knowledge and we were trying to figure out if this is because the wine comes from grapes that already fermented or if it's because grapes that have frozen would have ruptured membranes and therefore be easier to extract juice from.

edit: also, parts of Italy can get very cold because it's mountainous and the Romans would absolutely have places to store wine that would result in frost forming.

Its because the sugars and such don't freeze out and the water does, so when you press them you get a concentrate.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

The Lone Badger posted:

If your village is small enough then one guy yelling really loudly counts as mass-media.

Heck didn't the Romans do this or is it just a mass media mass media trope?

feedmegin posted:

Places like Iran? Tabriz average lows are -3, -7 and -5 degrees Celsius for December, January and February respectively.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Weka posted:

Heck didn't the Romans do this or is it just a mass media mass media trope?

The news dude in Rome was a real thing. They were called praecones, a number of written sources mention them.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Telsa Cola posted:

Its because the sugars and such don't freeze out and the water does, so when you press them you get a concentrate.

Yeah that makes sense. I'm a bit slow on the uptake today and the grape juice is pretty obvious now that I think about it.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I don't listen to the praecones mainstreames

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I still lol over the guy in Rome.

"Mockery of Jews and their One God will be kept to an appropriate minimum."

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Biology guy here: If you feel like recreating applejack or related freeze destillates, please please please run it through a molecular sieve afterwards, because the raw product contains a lot of aldehyde fusels and esters (bad) and methanol (super bad) that the process itself does not get rid of.

Tias fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Nov 6, 2021

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Tias posted:

Biology guy here: If you feel like recreating applejack or related freeze destillates, please please please run it through a molecular sieve afterwards, because the raw product contains a lot of aldehyde fusels and esters (bad) and ethanol (super bad) that the process itself does not get rid of.

Do you mean methanol? Because people consider ethanol the whole point.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's pretty easy to test if you've made methanol. Just drink a bunch and if you end up dead or blind you know you hosed up.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Tias posted:

Biology guy here: If you feel like recreating applejack or related freeze destillates, please please please run it through a molecular sieve afterwards, because the raw product contains a lot of aldehyde fusels and esters (bad) and ethanol (super bad) that the process itself does not get rid of.

Ethanol is what makes you drunk, Methanol is the stuff that makes you blind. You want to get rid of the Methanol, NOT the Ethanol.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

Ya’ll forget that mass media in Roman times was awesome

https://youtu.be/xH0kO5qcPf8

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Ian McNeice should record an audio book of Gallic Wars

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Right you are, was a wee bit too eager typing that

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Chopstix posted:

How many of these guys would there be throughout the city?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

SlothfulCobra posted:

How many of these guys would there be throughout the city?

Now that goes well beyond what we know, unfortunately. I would assume a city the size of Rome had a bunch.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Chopstix posted:

lol i forgot that when he reads the "martial law! no unauthorized gatherings of three or more men allowed!" he suddenly looks at his two slaves and the marching soldiers like "wait gently caress"

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Grand Fromage posted:

Now that goes well beyond what we know, unfortunately. I would assume a city the size of Rome had a bunch.

An interesting little detail in McCullough's Rome books is when Caesar gives dramatic speeches to his legions, he has shouty people with clear voices relay his words onwards.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Tree Bucket posted:

An interesting little detail in McCullough's Rome books is when Caesar gives dramatic speeches to his legions, he has shouty people with clear voices relay his words onwards.

It’s a long proud profession

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTLTT_x2Hpg

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Stupid question re bowyery: I know crossbows frequently had the crosspiece made from steel, and that some modern powers are tubular steel. Have any historical cultures used steel in (non-cross) bows, or is that just way more effort than its worth?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

The Lone Badger posted:

Stupid question re bowyery: I know crossbows frequently had the crosspiece made from steel, and that some modern powers are tubular steel. Have any historical cultures used steel in (non-cross) bows, or is that just way more effort than its worth?

Numenor

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Dammit you beat me too it. But I too wish to know if it’s feasible or even possible. Weren’t the Numenorean ones hollow?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Looks like it might have been a thing for a brief period of time in 18th and 19th century india?

Some brief googling suggests there have been a couple of seemingly one offs, one found in post colonial America, and Middle Eastern one from the 13th to 14th centuries.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 8, 2021

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

The Lone Badger posted:

There's indian steel bows. They don't perform well. Steel bows have too much mass, but they don't rot in hot and humid climate and vermin doesn't eat them. Composite is superior in performance.

Composite prods are a thing. In "Die Hornbogenarmbrust" there was a part about swiss guild regulations that stipulated what can be used in them and how they need to be sold as. Prods made of Ibex horn were considered superior, hence more expensive. It was forbidden to rework prods made from cow horn and for them to be sold as the ones from Ibex.

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff
https://twitter.com/uaustinclassics/status/1457865584134213634

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
*getting stabbed to death by my peers* ummm haha get woke go broke much?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

um actually the wokescolds didn't cancel rome until 1453

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

eke out posted:

um actually the wokescolds didn't cancel rome until 1453

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jesus Christ

Oh well I guess classics has always been a hotbed for fascism in some degree

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Censorship in a society without true mass communications.

Ok.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Maybe they are referring to the act of qualifying citizens for membership in the comitia centuriata

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

its a joke twitter guys its ok

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

WoodrowSkillson posted:

its a joke twitter guys its ok

You literally can’t tell anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
'The Cancellation of Julius Caesar' is brilliant though.