Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

limp_cheese posted:

I want to watch a day in this guy's life. If its normal for things like getting chased out of starbucks for setting your pubes on fire it should be weird as gently caress.
It turns out that Everyone is John is about a real person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Thumbtacks posted:

AITA Am I the rear end in a top hat for not letting my aunt's bratty child in my arts room

so he's broken down doors of other peoples' homes in the past, right

Holy poo poo a 13 year old was acting like that??? I thought they were gonna be like 6.
That's insanely spoiled and stunted behavior.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Two-Years before the post:
My [46M] daughter's [23F] fiancé left her for a girl she used to bully
Deleted post that Daughter Melissa was engaged to Alex and bullied the poo poo out of another girl Ashley non-stop for years. To the point that Alex broke up with Melissa and started dating Ashley instead. Literally said to her father, 'how could he leave me for someone so far beneath me?'

And onto... today's feature!

quote:

Decided to put this here because I don't feel comfortable telling my friends about this.

My wife and I have two daughters. Melissa, 25 and Megan, 18. Melissa works in banking in the city while Megan recently started working at a hairdresser not far from our house.

The girls have always had a bit of a ''sibling rivalry'' but are generally civil to each other. They have very different personalities. Melissa is very girly and a proper princess, but also very smart and confident, whereas Megan is a bit tomboyish and while talented, isn't really academic which is why she chose to get a job after leaving school rather than pursuing higher education. Their mother and me are very proud of both of their achievements.

Megan also recently got together with Sam, her best friend from school. We're happy for them as he's a decent guy. Melissa has always enjoyed winding up her little sister, and over the past few weeks has taken to mocking their relationship for some reason. We've warned her not to be cruel but she doesn't really listen. The two have not done anything but argue over the past few weeks, and Melissa has questioned why Sam doesn't find someone more attractive, and is constantly telling Megan that he could ''do better'' than her. She was close to tears because of this.

On Saturday Megan and Sam were hanging out in the garden while I was sorting out some old equipment in the shed. My wife and Melissa came to join us. The girls started arguing again after Melissa said ''Hey ugly'' to her sister. As they argued Melissa said she was going to ''prove'' that Sam would rather be with a better looking woman. Out of the blue, she tried to kiss him. He pulled away straight away, and while everyone was shocked, Megan was furious and punched Melissa in the face. Melissa screamed and tried to protect herself but Megan didn't stop. She kept punching and kicking her, and didn't stop even after she'd knocked her to the ground. She also shoved my wife back when she tried to grab her. I would have broken them up but I was making sure my wife wasn't hurt.

Melissa is severely asthmatic and began having an asthma attack when she was on the ground. Even when she was clearly struggling to breath Megan didn't stop kicking her. It was only here that Sam (who is aware of Melissa's condition) pulled her back and took her to his house to calm down.

My wife called an ambulance and Melissa was taken to hospital, where she's been for the past few days. Thankfully, they were able to bring her asthma attack under control, but she has a broken jaw and bruising everywhere. She's also told us she will press charges against her sister unless we kick her out.

What do we do? It's doubtful any kind of peace can be arranged between the sisters, and we've been unable to convince Melissa not to do this. Either we kick Megan out or she ends up getting arrested. In theory she could go and live with Sam but obviously we'd rather our child stay with us, but even if we somehow convince Melissa not to go ahead with this, what if she attacks her sister again?

OP 2 years ago

quote:

Thanks for this. I appreciate it. I think it's true that this is the first adversity she has to deal with. After I was bullied and nobody gave a poo poo I made sure that Melissa would never have to go through all that pain. She's never struggled socially or academically so I think this is a massive hurdle for her.

I agree that she should focus on getting her life back on track, but emotionally she's not in a good place right now. She works in banking, and the last thing I want is for her to have an emotional breakdown in front of a client. I think some down time may be best for her career and her emotional state.

Too bad that didn't go for Megan eh?

UPDATE

quote:

Thanks for the advice on the original post

My wife and I spent a lot of time discussing what we were going to do about what happened. Megan is (for the moment) staying at Sam's parents, while Melissa is being kept in the hospital because her asthma symptoms are persisting.

We eventually decided that Megan should be our priority at the moment. Some of the people on the other post seemed to think we had ''favouritism'' towards Melissa. That isn't the case, we love them both. However, I will admit that Melissa got more attention than Megan did when they were little, simply because her medical problems were a huge worry for us. I think most people would agree that making a sick child's care your priority is not immoral. That said, it was absolutely wrong that we treated Melissa too leniently in her behaviour towards her sister. We should have made clear that her remarks about Megan's appearance and her relationship with Sam were not acceptable. If we'd done that than maybe things wouldn't have gotten this far.

We went to see Melissa in hospital yesterday and told her what was going to happen. We told her that if she makes an effort to get Megan arrested, then Sam will report the unwanted kiss as sexual assault, and we would back him up. We also stated that we would not give any statement supporting her accusation against Megan.

Melissa then started to sob and said we were being unfair to her, and said that we were siding with Megan and were letting Megan get away with hurting her.

We also told her that at the moment, Megan was our priority. Melissa has a fully established career whereas Megan has only just got a job. Melissa makes enough money that she could easily get her own place if she wanted, which is why we're going to let Megan stay with Sam for two months, during which time we expect Melissa to get her stuff together and find somewhere of her own.

Melissa was horrified and upset when she heard this. We tried to comfort her and told her we will help her with anything she needs. We said we'd help her find a place if she wanted and that we'd still be involved in her life. She was crying her eyes out at this point and said that she was being punished for getting attacked. He mother tried to soothe her and assure her that we love her, but she said that if we loved her we wouldn't be kicking her out.

At this point she was distressed and her asthma symptoms started to come back. She was breathing heavily and I called someone. Even as she was struggling and we were ushered away we could tell how heartbroken she was and it was painful for us.

While I think this is the best thing we can do, I'm not necessarily sure it's the right thing. Melissa, while financially sound, is emotionally dependent on us and I'm not sure she could cope on her own. Even so, Megan is our priority now and we have to do what's best for her, and we've also started talking about getting her therapy if that's what she wants, and hopefully in a few years we can work towards some kind of peace between the sisters.

Did we do the right thing?

Man, Melissa and the bullying, lost her fiancé, lost her jaw, lost her sister, lost her home. Wonder if any of it will be a wake up call.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Talk poo poo, get hit.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

God drat lol. She got her rear end beat.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Just a lifetime of pent up frustration at your sister, unleashed :ssj:

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

limp_cheese posted:

I also don't care how cliché it is but r/relationships: I go back to pooping and lighting my pubes on fire is a hell of a title.

Seconding this

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

MarcusSA posted:

God drat lol. She got her rear end beat.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

That was a shocking ending. I'm amazed that the parents seem to have wised up a bit. Who knows if they'll actually follow through on anything, but I'm seriously surprised that they didn't immediately go all in on supporting the lovely daughter. Maybe they're just tired of having their banker daughter still living at home well into her twenties.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
That beatdown, drat. About ten years overdue.

Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

That beatdown, drat. About ten years overdue.

Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face.

looks like it was the same plan as before, cry to the parents and expect the favoritism to continue

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for telling my husband he overreacted over a piece of cake?

quote:

Hi. So my husband m32 and I f24 are expecting our first baby together (I'm 7 months in). My inlaws are lovely people. My mother in law had some not so major fight with her husband and has been staying with us for few days. Her birthday was yesterday and because of her emotional and mental state my husband decided to throw her a surprise party and invite his siblings. He got everything ready and I was home alone when the cake arrived from the bakery. To give info the cake was big and had my mother in law's favorite flavor (strawberry). I asked my husband for some snack I was craving really badly but he didn't get them. To be honest I got a bit tempted whenever I looked at the cake and decided to cut a small piece of it. I didn't think it was a big deal til my husband saw it and flipped out asking why I ruined the cake and cur a piece of it. I said I was sorry but was craving something sweet. He said that was supposed to be his mothers birthday cake and I embarrassed him by taking a piece of it instead of waiting til the party in just few hours. I said he should have been the one to handle it if he didn't think I was up to the task but he went off saying he couldn't believe how childish I was with 0 impulse control to be blaming him instead of checking myself and not be unsupportive. This made me upset because there were a ton of other stuff he asked me to do and I did it. He kept arguing saying I just caused him tje price of cake and an utter embarrassement when his mom sees that I ate from her cake.

I looked at him and told him he overreacted over a piece of cake and asked if a piece of cake was more important than his son and that I was sure his mom will understand that I took my piece of cake in advance because I really couldn't help myself but he said this wasn't about me and I have to just admit I messed up and ruined his work then went upstairs. I refused to come of the room to celebrate after he told me to stay there and I explained to his mom what happened and she didn't say anything though I noticed she was bothered. He keeps telling me to apologize otherwise he won't speak to me nor acknowledge my presence in the house.

it wasn't her fault ok

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Being pregnant sounds like you are mind controlled by the fetus. There is nothing you can do against these pregnant cravings. The fetus rules your every move. You must eat everything the fetus wants. Birthday cake. Wedding cake. The workplace fridge contents.

I mean that or you expect the world to give you everything because you're pregnant.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
This one didn't take off until the comments really clarified a few things

My sister [30F] broke my fiance's [27M] wrist and now he won't marry me [26F] unless I cut her and the rest of my family out of my life

quote:

We have been together a little over three years and have a one year old. Our relationship has been kind of rough because he has issues with employment and his mental health. We got into an argument recently and he left. He was gone for a few days so I asked my sister to watch my daughter while I was at work. But I had to leave early because he came back and she wouldn't let him in. My sister started interrogating him about where he was and if he had drugs (he used to do them). My fiance got defensive and asked her to leave. She wouldn't and it turned into a big argument and he kept putting his hand in her face. So she grabbed it and bended his hand back really hard and snap and broke his wrist. I had to take him to the hospital and begged him not to file a report.

Now my fiance has given me an ultimatum. Either cut out my sister or he's going to leave. He wants me to cut out the rest of my family too because they heard what happened and they're on my sister's side. They think he provoked her and brought up all the stuff he did in the past as an excuse and why I don't need him. But I want to stay with him because our daughter needs her father and our problems can be fixed. But I don't want to cut out my family either. I know my sister and family are looking out for me but I can't have them always going after my fiance or him after them. How can I keep both?

Edit:

I answered some questions in the comments. I knew he had issues when we met and I was and am willing to work through them. I was a mess myself when we met but I've been working on myself a lot. He just has to get there.

Edit again:

Yes, I was there and witnessed what happened. I tried to get them to stop and even tried pulling my sister away but she is stronger than me. They both yelled over me and I was forced to the sidelines. Her and my fiance never liked each other and my sister can get very aggressive if she feels attacked. My fiance is mostly just talk. He shouldn't have put his hand in her face but I don't think he would've hit her.

quote:

What kind of issues?

OP posted:

Trouble keeping employment. He always gets a job and quits. Our recent argument was about it. He had applied for a couple of jobs and got two interviews but he didn't want to go to them because the pay is too low in his opinion, so he's waiting on another with higher pay to call him back. He has depression and anger issues. He thinks he has ADHD too.

quote:

What kind of "stuff" has he done in the past?

OP posted:

He cheated on me early on and left me stranded in another state. He also stole money from me and tried to get me to have a threesome with his friends.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Sister don't take poo poo.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

pentyne posted:

My sister [30F] broke my fiance's [27M] wrist and now he won't marry me [26F] unless I cut her and the rest of my family out of my life

OP has found a real winner.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

pentyne posted:

Wow, I can see why she'd want to stay with such a winner! What a keeper.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Holy poo poo that sister kicks literal rear end. I want her in my family, is she taking applications?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

yeah is she single, and what's her number?

talk poo poo get hit is a fine way to live

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Hughlander posted:

Deleted post that Daughter Melissa was engaged to Alex and bullied the poo poo out of another girl Ashley non-stop for years. To the point that Alex broke up with Melissa and started dating Ashley instead. Literally said to her father, 'how could he leave me for someone so far beneath me?'

OP 2 years ago

UPDATE

Man, Melissa and the bullying, lost her fiancé, lost her jaw, lost her sister, lost her home. Wonder if any of it will be a wake up call.

I'd really like to read that deleted post...

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

MagusofStars posted:

Nice work by the mother to totally ignore the fact that the wife’s “recognized her mistake and wants to make it better” happened *only* after it turned out that her affair partner didn’t have the money for them to live off of.
And "Henry" only stopped his divorce when he found out he couldn't keep all the money for himself. Funny how his tune changed when he couldn't leave his first wife destitute.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Hughlander posted:

OP 2 years ago

UPDATE

Melissa hosed around, Melissa found out.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
AITA for taking my daughter's pads away?

quote:

I know how this sounds but please hear me out.

My daughter “Olga” is 12 y/o and she started getting her periods earlier this year. She has always been a fairly messy young woman, and it wasn’t long until we started seeing her used pads dropped open-faced in the trash. The first few times my wife or I corrected her and told her to cover them with toilet paper, but the next month she went right back to doing it again. So on and on for the better part of a year now, and I just think it’s a disgusting habit. It’s akin to not flushing a dump, no one wants to see or smell it.

At first we thought Olga was just not sure what to do with her period products, but it’s been six months and by now it’s just laziness. If Olga can understand how to play hours of Minecraft she can remember what to do with her pads. If we remind her she calls it nagging.

I have been patient with this for months past what is appropriate, but the last straw for me was when I went to take out the bathroom garbage and found a pad literally stuck to the wall above the garbage can. I’d just had enough of the whole situation so I took the pads from under the sink and threw them away. I have no intentions of taking them away forever, just until she can learn to stop being lazy.

Well, Olga came out and asked us where the pads were, and I told her and why. She asked me what she’s going to use, and I said she can use toilet paper or her mother’s tampons in the meantime. I told her I told her about the pads innumerable times and she never stopped the behavior, so I stopped it for her.

Olga is very upset now and ran to her room, I haven’t talked to her since (this was two days ago). My wife agrees with the lesson but thinks I went too far outright taking the pads. I just ask for my daughter to listen when I speak. AITA?

I’d like to introduce Olga to a band called L7.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Also starting to think “I know how this sounds but hear me out” needs to be on this thread’s coat of arms.

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥
She's gonna use mums tampons once, leave it unwrapped in the bin and dad's gonna lose it and confiscate them too.

So his plan for less period mess is gonna end up with Olga being forced into just... free-bleeding around the house?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Countdown to OP finding a tampon stuck to the wall; 5, 4, 3...

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I wonder if you can daisy chain used tampons.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Olga definitely should've responded to her father confiscating her pads by sitting everywhere is the house without a pad

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

teen witch posted:

I wonder if you can daisy chain used tampons.
Oh, you hung up some red Christmas li... :stonk:

Yes I know they would turn brown but there's no joke in that

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Nov 5, 2021

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

the shithouse father stories roll on

AITA for telling my dad's wife to be mad at him and not me?

quote:

When I was 10 I went to therapy because my dad's wife tried to pick me up from school one day and I claimed I didn't know who she was. It caused a huge stir and I really didn't want to be taken home by her. This was 4 months into their marriage, and 3.5 years after my mom died. In therapy I had a journal. Something for me to write on stuff we needed to talk about in therapy.

In the journal I wrote a lot about how my dad's wife wasn't good enough. I wrote about each and every way I considered my mom better than her, how she would never compare to my mom and she was unlovable to me because she was the person who replaced my mom. For three years I wrote a lot of stuff. A lot of the early stuff (first year) was about how much I disliked her and how she would never win a place in my heart. The rest was about my mom and missing her. Though there were times I was still honest about no love growing for her. And also about how I wish my dad had waited to remarry because I was repulsed by her being considered my parent because I didn't want to grow up with her in my life.

When therapy ended at 13 I asked my dad to burn the journal. He told me he had. But he kept it. Now a decade later my dad's wife has seen it. She was hurt, obviously, but also incredibly mad at me. She was mad that 3 years of therapy and I still wrote about not loving her or wanting her to be in my life growing up. I asked dad why he kept it. He told me he read it when I gave it to him and he wanted to make sure I didn't treat his wife like poo poo, that he wanted to watch out for me saying that stuff to her. He told me he always felt the chill with me, he always felt my lack of love for her, the lack of respect for what she did for me. And that he knew he needed to be reminded of the stuff I had said to the therapist.

I told them that journal should have been private and they had no right to read any of it. She said I had no right to write it and that obviously I still felt that way when I hadn't apologized. I told her if she wanted to blame anyone it should be my dad for keeping it. That no good could ever have come from them reading it and it didn't. That she needs to be mad at him and not me.

They told me it was wrong to put it back on my dad. They still have it too. Refused to give it to me to do whatever I wanted, said it was their property since I was a minor when it was bought and it was left in the house after I moved out.

AITA? They sure as hell think I'm the lovely person here.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

kntfkr posted:

Do you see any success with parents blocking social media? My religion is wanting Mark Zuckerberg to be violently killed but I don't want my kids (0 & 3) to be alienated from their peers. I know I can't block anything because the 3 year old can already remember unlock codes for different devices to sate his youtube addiction, I just want them to grow up being too cool to have or need Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or Snapchat.

All the parents who block things don't really do anything except earn the contempt of their children. The kids get around it pretty easily so all it does is really show that you don't trust them. They make accounts using their friends' devices, or use (sometimes very dodgy) VPNs, or figure some other workaround.

I think Zuck sucks, but social media can be a positive for kids if they are not addicted and are safe with personal information (big ifs, right). Especially during the covid lockdowns it is a nice way for them to keep in touch with their friends. My school hasn't had in-person class since April so for a lot of these kids their social media is their main method of socializing and the parents who deny it to them just isolate their kids even more.

It's probably a bit safer to have them set up social media accounts that you can keep an eye on and make sure they aren't sharing anything illegal or too personal instead of just banning it and having them do it in secret. Your kid is born in 2021, much of their life is gonna be digital and social media isn't going anywhere. I tell parents that by the time they're really curious about having it then it is a good time to help them set it up and lay out some guidelines and let the kid have a chance to use it responsibly before you try and ban it.

Yes, much of social media is garbage, but it is a pretty essential part of the social lives of kids, especially teens.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Olga's Volga (of blood)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mx. posted:

So OP isn't a minor anymore, so guess who has two thumbs and is never visiting his father again.

Journals are just plaintexting the most secure hash on the planet

Barudak fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Nov 5, 2021

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

time to start a new journal!

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

Mx. posted:

In a few years this guy is going to be posting wondering why his relationship with his daughter is nonexistant to bad and will be completely unable to accept that it's because of his massive violation of her privacy and the fact that he is actively maintaining a grudge against her for having a completely normal reaction to divorce and a new step-mother.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
WIBTA into forcing my roommates to give a job by playing an eviction notice.

quote:

I’ve been out of work since the big C happened. My best friend and his girlfriend (Anne) moved in with me to help cover some things. They have always paid their share of rent rent on time. The girlfriend was down on her luck because her industry suffered. I let her move in because she has good connections. I thought I would use it to get a job. I never actually paid rent during the big C because I was out of work too. I got the rent relief to cover my back rent.

I can’t find a job to my liking. They never pay what I deserve. All of my friends have good jobs. So when I quit my last job, I figured someone would help me out.

My roommate and his girlfriend won’t help find me a job or hire me.

I just found out Anne hired a random Uber driver because he seems like a good investment. (She said I’m not)

I’m trying to get an eviction notice so they can take me seriously.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Evil Willow posted:

what the

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

Evil Willow posted:

(She said I’m not)

Well of course she said that, she doesn't know about your plan to become the most pathetic man and then she has to hire you. It's foolproof.

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥

Evil Willow posted:

This some real galaxy brain poo poo, and I can only hope he updates how his genius plan goes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Mx. posted:

what the

Look, it's very clear; you see, OP's roommate said she would put her hair in a ponytail, but didn't.