Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Holy poo poo how is their lip sync so loving awful? Ahahah. It looks like a mannequin being operated like a puppet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

You fudding fudster, you cockroach king, that's Galactic Gear but we're talking about Galactic Tour which is completely different!. Owned you goonie cuntiflas (tm)! You're dismissed!

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009

Games > Star Citizen: don't play the game, show them videos

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

skeletors_condom posted:

Nah, Star Citizen is the perfect zeitgeist of the early 21st century/information age. Its for real, just a bunch of crazy backers getting conned.

Mind, you I don't think the typical spectrum/reddit SC fanboy gives a full picture of the nature of Star Citizen. You also have digital platforms (Youtube) where their business model is designed around facilitating fraud and false advertising (and this is the least of their evils).

The Scam Anniversary is running from Nov 19th to Nov 26th:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/18377-Countdown-To-IAE#iae-schedule

Place your bet on many dollars "worth" of JPEGs they will sell during the scam anniversary!

If there is interest, I will throw down 2 good space games and 1 city-builder game I really like.

How big will the bubble get? Bigger. Always bigger.

$42.1M (Edited 'cause it turns out I was not the first person to make that pick, whoops)

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 4, 2021

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I feel like it's almost been long enough of a time that we can start to feel bad for people again. But not in the way it was at first.

1: I feel bad for you that you're being lied to. Please stop letting yourself be lied to!
2: I feel bad how much money you are pouring into this. Please save your money!
3: A long period of "go do whatever, you deserve this, give all your money to Chris"

I think it's time to enter the 4th part where I feel bad for people because now it's just kind of at that stage where it's like a little kid not understanding why his dog is dead and asking him to wake up. :(

It's just so sad now and I know some of these guys are probably super old at this point and may have really really wanted to be part of a video game community again... and all their dreams of being 14 again on Christmas and opening up wing commander 3 or something have all just been rained on. :(

I'm so sad for you all now. :(

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

skeletors_condom posted:

Nah, Star Citizen is the perfect zeitgeist of the early 21st century/information age. Its for real, just a bunch of crazy backers getting conned.

Mind, you I don't think the typical spectrum/reddit SC fanboy gives a full picture of the nature of Star Citizen. You also have digital platforms (Youtube) where their business model is designed around facilitating fraud and false advertising (and this is the least of their evils).

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/18377-Countdown-To-IAE#iae-schedule

Place your bet on many dollars "worth" of JPEGs they will sell during the scam anniversary!

If there is interest, I will throw down 2 good space games and 1 city-builder game I really like.

18.314M

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
:sweatdrop: I .. I want to play a game with you again!

:reject: Really? Wow man... it's been like 30 years since we got on a modem and played some doom. Could be fun.

:sweatdrop: Yeah... so long...

:reject: I've got like the best computer now. Now that we're both in good jobs and have families and kids... man I haven't gamed serious for a long time. I just kind of bounce off stuff. Watch my kids play the Nintendo sometimes or whatever it is.

:sweatdrop: Yeah me too. I just... can't find anything that meets my dreams anymore. But I found something finally.

:reject: So what is it? Is it on steam?

:sweatdrop: No man.. it's um.. it's that star citizen game.

:reject: The one nobody likes and everybody calls a scam? Dude... did you buy a lot of those expensive ships or whatever?

:sweatdrop: I want to play it.. just... just let's watch some videos man. Let's just watch videos of it. Then I'll help you buy something cool.

:sweatdrop:

:sweatdrop: Dude you there? Wanna watch a video?

:sweatdrop: Hello?

:cripes: Why can't you just work Star citizen. It's been so many years. Why can't you just play?!!!?

:trustme: Hey buddy. Did I tell you about this new concept art you can buy? Only $600. It's limited. Has LTI. Cuts above its weight. Whatever makes you happy. $600.

:cripes:

TonyMcS
Aug 31, 2018

200 Bitcoin or A$16,600,000

Or a lot less if Jeremy Clarkson sues CI. I couldn't think of a better fake representative for Chris. Well done CI!

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009

That seems way too accurate. How much are you in for, commander?

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Makes me laugh when some people suggest that Crobbers should be selling NFTs. Why would he do that? He's got thousands of suckers paying NFT prices for JPEGs with no legal ownership rights whatsover.

Well, that's how it looks. Personally I think there are professional buyers buying up these JPEGs, flipping them at 60% value to nerds on the grey market and cleaning some dodgy money. They can afford to eat a loss if they come out with some clean money on the other end.

The grey market is where the real action is.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

NFTs are way more expensive, actually.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Gravity_Storm posted:

Makes me laugh when some people suggest that Crobbers should be selling NFTs. Why would he do that?

Because extra millions are good and vitamins don't buy themselves.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Gravity_Storm posted:

Makes me laugh when some people suggest that Crobbers should be selling NFTs. Why would he do that? He's got thousands of suckers paying NFT prices for JPEGs with no legal ownership rights whatsover.

Well, that's how it looks. Personally I think there are professional buyers buying up these JPEGs, flipping them at 60% value to nerds on the grey market and cleaning some dodgy money. They can afford to eat a loss if they come out with some clean money on the other end.

The grey market is where the real action is.

I agree, I don't think CIG want anyone to prove they own some digital asset or have a receipt for some digital asset in the future more than they already can.

Is there someone to flag this too? Like dudes selling 200k of second hand jpegs raises some legitimate money laundering concerns.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FrequentFrankFlicker-mobile.mp4

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
NFT smart contracts allow you to include royalties for the creator, so it would be a good way for them to get a percentage of the grey market. If they created their own exchange, they could also take a percent of transactions on top of that.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

IMO they won't do NFTs as they will be liable for the delivery of goods if they do, it indicates a purchase not a charitable donation. They have managed to so far get away with 'its a pledge not a purchase' :)

I'd love them to try though. Oh my.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Gravity_Storm posted:

IMO they won't do NFTs as they will be liable for the delivery of goods if they do, it indicates a purchase not a charitable donation. They have managed to so far get away with 'its a pledge not a purchase' :)

I'd love them to try though. Oh my.

What? No.

A NFT is just a token that says "you own this". And that means 2 things: jack and poo poo. 'cuz a non-regulated token saying that you own some good is not the same as having ownership of that good. You're buying the NFT, not the good.

That's what makes NFTs such an attractive scam.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

trucutru posted:

What? No.

A NFT is just a token that says "you own this". And that means 2 things: jack and poo poo. 'cuz a non-regulated token saying that you own some good is not the same as having ownership of that good. You're buying the NFT, not the good.

It's not even that. It's a token that says 'you own this receipt to this particular incarnation of the asset'. Not the asset itself in any way.

It's not even that you're buying the NFT not the good, you don't even really own the receipt of the purchase to the good you don't own.

Yes, I realize that's as dumb as it sounds. I know you all know this too, I just can't get over how dumb this is.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

squirrelzipper posted:

It's not even that. It's a token that says 'you own this receipt to this particular incarnation of the asset'. Not the asset itself in any way.

It's not even that you're buying the NFT not the good, you don't even really own the receipt of the purchase to the good you don't own.

Yes, I realize that's as dumb as it sounds. I know you all know this too, I just can't get over how dumb this is.

NFTs are one of the dumbest most blatant scams in recent history and naturally this means our entire economy has to twist itself in knots to support them

Blackstone
Feb 13, 2012

DigitalPenny posted:

I agree, I don't think CIG want anyone to prove they own some digital asset or have a receipt for some digital asset in the future more than they already can.

Is there someone to flag this too? Like dudes selling 200k of second hand jpegs raises some legitimate money laundering concerns.

In the UK, that’s the FCA or the general police authorities. In the US, FinCEN or fed police. I could quickly write a suspicious activity complaint, especially if there are signs that there’s a circumvention of the Russia sanctions, but honestly, I’d think that someone else has done that by now without results.
Out of curiosity, has CIG ever advertised „ships“ as an investment or have they relied on implicit FOMO?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Rotten Red Rod posted:

NFTs are way more expensive, actually.

this is true, which is why I think they announce record income soon

we're gonna find out that Chris has been offering select whales the opportunity to bid on Star Citizen NFTs and a bunch of the other whales will buy more poo poo to enter the multiplatinum auction tier

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

skeletors_condom posted:

Just because citizens can't resist round numbers, I'm going for 20,342,739.22 UA buckaroos.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

skeletors_condom posted:

A low effort $16,657,211

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Actually they do NFT already. It's just Tier 0 NFT for now, but as soon as Vulkan, Quantum Sumsumption and Server Meshing are in, they'll release one full NFT a week!

edit: and put me down for $21,234,567.89

Flarpy
Aug 13, 2016

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Star Citizen: gender swap to get back your head and your items

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Gender swapping at T0.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

L. Ron Hoover posted:

That seems way too accurate. How much are you in for, commander?

:lol:

I have as of today given CIG $0,000,000.00.

I'd say I got my moneys worth so far! :sureboat:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

squirrelzipper posted:

I guess it comes down to taking advantage of a certain mindset. If I had the choice to pay over 100 grand for a sports car, or have a perfect molecular copy of that exact same car for free, I'd grab the free car and let the sound of the wind drown out the sound of my laughter. Other people get off on having the "original" car, proving they paid for it, and "own" it. It's a social thing, and some people are wired that way. NFTs are perfect for stealing those people's money.

Star Trek nerds postulated a future post-scarcity society where replicators could provide all human needs, meaning people could use their own skills and abilities to rise above petty squabbles and move our social and intellectual progress into new frontiers. Those same nerds then invented a technology that negated the concept entirely. Sure Picard, you're drinking an Earl Grey, but I own the real Earl Grey.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Nov 5, 2021

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Scruffpuff posted:

I guess it comes down to taking advantage of a certain mindset. If I had the choice to pay over 100 grand for a sports car, or have a perfect molecular copy of that exact same car for free, I'd grab the free car and let the sound of the wind drown out the sound of my laughter. Other people get off on having the "original" car, proving they paid for it, and "own" it. It's a social thing, and some people are wired that way. NFTs are perfect for stealing those people's money.

Star Trek nerds postulated a future post-scarcity society where replicators could provide all human needs, meaning people could use their own skills and abilities to rise above petty squabbles and move our social and intellectual progress into new frontiers. Those same nerds then invented a technology that negated the concept entirely. Sure Picard, you're drinking an Earl Grey, but I own the real Earl Grey.

That's very well put, but I would add that NFTs are pure "idiot capitalism" - I own the thing, and it's value will surely go up Up UP and if I HODL it will go to the mooooon then I can sell it to another nerd for an infinite amount of theoretical money, because of course that's what'll happen

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Dr. Honked posted:

That's very well put, but I would add that NFTs are pure "idiot capitalism" - I own the thing, and it's value will surely go up Up UP and if I HODL it will go to the mooooon then I can sell it to another nerd for an infinite amount of theoretical money, because of course that's what'll happen

They're a speculation market and nothing more. NFTs are unique in that they actually garner a community - you can see that on Twitter where all the NFT gangs have NFT profile pictures and Tweet at each other, or look at the Discords for things like Lazy Lions and Bored Ape Yacht club where you'll see a huge amount of positivity and comradery. But ALL of it, every single bit of it, is in an attempt to drive the price up so they can make money. It's very cynical despite the appearance.

SC is similar in some ways, but they're speculating on the dream of SC being the best game ever that they will play the rest of their lives. That's one big reason it will never "finish" - the final product will NEVER live up to the dreams, so it's better to just keep the dreams going indefinitely. That, ironically, is what keeps the citizens happy - the day the game is done is the day they realize their dreams were fake.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 5, 2021

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i understand it that an nft means you have ownership of a digital item. while in the physical world if you have the thing, then you own it. for purely digital items (which can be copied endlessly without loss in quality) now we have nfts to "prove" ownership.

if i have a book in my shelf, thats the proof that i own an original.
if i have a pdf file on my computer i guess i would need an nft to prove that its also an original.

ownership is not copyright though. if i have an nft i can claim to own this one nft, but thats about it.
i mean they could for example say: there are 9999 idrisis in the verse, we will sell 9999 nfts for each serial number.

nfts are strange

BumbleOne fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 5, 2021

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

NFTs mean you own the text of a link to a webserver where the image is stored. That's all. Not the image, not the webserver.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Rotten Red Rod posted:

NFTs mean you own the text of a link to a webserver where the image is stored. That's all. Not the image, not the webserver.

does that mean the item needs to be at a specific location?

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Bumble He posted:

does that mean the item needs to be at a specific location?

The item doesn't even need to exist at all

.random
May 7, 2007

If CIG releases a cryptocurrency, it will be the first coin mined by Proof of Mistake :rimshot:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I still don't get why CIG have been so coy about crypto. I see zero downside to just promising it and never following through to goose some more cash, a la VR.

I guess it's just a sign of the :effort: involved at this point

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

No Mods No Masters posted:

I guess it's just a sign of the :effort: involved at this point
Probably. Why bother with cryptoscams when they can just release spaceship jpgs and whales shower them with money anyway. And CR probably doesn't know what NFTs are.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

trucutru posted:

What? No.

I don't see any difference in "owning" and NFT and "owning" and Idris JPEG.

Scam Citizin is the original NFT market

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
I only buy NFTs that come with LTI :colbert: