Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Watched Blade with the 4k remaster, and I can't believe they didn't fix that scene with the ambulance. My god, it's a remaster, that's when you fix the broke poo poo people. Now it's just even easier to see!
Classic producers meddling with the author's vision.

EDIT: a good snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
They could have fixed it by mirroring the scene, it's that simple

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

That Italian Guy posted:

Classic producers meddling with the author's vision.

EDIT: a good snipe.

A Wesley Snipe.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Jedit posted:

A Wesley Snipe.

lol

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Jedit posted:

A Wesley Snipe.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Jedit posted:

A Wesley Snipe.

:yeah:

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

SimonChris posted:

My main problem with every single Dune adaption so far is that they all have the Baron Harkonnen floating around in the air like an idiot. The Baron Harkonnen does not float! The suspensors simply decrease his weight enough for him to walk.

Nah, that’s one change that works better I think. A, if it’s non-noticeable it’s kind of pointless to include it in a film. B, the new movie in particular makes it very clear the Baron uses that to look down on everybody, it’s a clever way of characterization. And C, you can’t tell me most people, especially anyone lazy and fat, wouldn’t just outright float and let the machine do all the work rather than keep having to walk around? The Baron is just the sci-fi version of those aggressive scooter old people really.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I always get called out for my poo poo posting but, sure okay.

I don't use the report button and I hope you don't either. It's just a weird slip.

But honestly why would you say that?

Saudi Arabia is a horrible country on par with the US of A but?

It's because cum is white. You'll understand when you're older.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Edit: probably better content for the media that didn't age well thread.

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 21:29 on Nov 4, 2021

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

christmas boots posted:

I can't believe someone would shitpost in PYF, the holiest of God's subforums

It really is very good here.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

SimonChris posted:

My main problem with every single Dune adaption so far is that they all have the Baron Harkonnen floating around in the air like an idiot. The Baron Harkonnen does not float! The suspensors simply decrease his weight enough for him to walk.

Floating owns, dumbass.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

People saying DUNC

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
HARKonnen, ugh.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Len posted:

People saying DUNC
They called the film dunc, what do you want from us?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Gargamel Gibson posted:

It's because cum is white. You'll understand when you're older.

Wow look at this ivory tower elitist here.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

More like a ziggurat. Squat, covered in overgrowth, and sometimes used for human sacrifice.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

800peepee51doodoo posted:

HARKonnen, ugh.

Canonically they have Finnish ancestry, so it's the correct pronunciation.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
When people leave bombs behind as a trap for the people coming for them, why do they always put a big timer on it so they know how long they have to get to cover? Just make it a surprise.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

yeah I eat rear end posted:

When people leave bombs behind as a trap for the people coming for them, why do they always put a big timer on it so they know how long they have to get to cover? Just make it a surprise.

For that sweet moment where the sidekick realises they are hosed.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Uh, it's called common courtesy

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

honestly more criminals should have a prank timer that doesn't actually mean anything, just so you can laugh at the guy who shouts "we're not gonna make it!" and they dive away and then nothing happens. But I'm not sure if criminals on the run have time for pranks.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

For that sweet moment where the sidekick realises they are hosed.

Say what you will about The Fifth Element but this worked out in a way that was funny, twice.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

honestly more criminals should have a prank timer that doesn't actually mean anything, just so you can laugh at the guy who shouts "we're not gonna make it!" and they dive away and then nothing happens. But I'm not sure if criminals on the run have time for pranks.

Honestly leaving behind a sufficiently convincing fake bomb would probably get the cops to waste a bunch of time they could be spending finding you.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

FreudianSlippers posted:

Honestly leaving behind a sufficiently convincing fake bomb would probably get the cops to waste a bunch of time they could be spending finding you.

And that worked exceptionally in Die Hard 3.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I think it was one of the items in the "If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord" list was to have all bomb timers go off with several minutes left on the clock because heroes always expect to defuse the bomb at the last second.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I think it was one of the items in the "If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord" list was to have all bomb timers go off with several minutes left on the clock because heroes always expect to defuse the bomb at the last second.

I'd also include some logic to detonate the bomb if it takes significantly longer than the first few for the person cutting the wires to decide which one to cut when it gets down to the last two.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

This is probably my favourite part of Die Hard with a Vengeance.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I know we're in the IIMM thread instead of the subtly movie moments one, but I did like in Die Hard with a Vengeance the terrorists don't leave the briefcase bomb on the sidewalk. Why? "Some kid could come pick it up."

They may be violent thieves, but they're not monsters.

If you want an IIMM from me, it's that you can tell how COVID-19 affected shooting The Eternals because there's very few scenes where everybody is together in one camera shot. Even the romantic scenes between Sersi & Ikaris were close-ups spliced together.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Android Apocalypse posted:

I know we're in the IIMM thread instead of the subtly movie moments one, but I did like in Die Hard with a Vengeance the terrorists don't leave the briefcase bomb on the sidewalk. Why? "Some kid could come pick it up."

They may be violent thieves, but they're not monsters.

That seems more practicality if everything. You don't want your whole scheme going tits up because some curious kid or homeless person picks up your briefcase and takes it who knows where.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
But it's already served its purpose at that point in time, they take it so it's not just lying around to hurt someone.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i was watching raised by wolves like a dumbass and check this out: the religious kid is a dumbass and he atheist kid is a dumbass too

perhaps the truth is in the midhollow earth & theres a muppet snake

such a shame, i liked a bunch of the actors

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
I watched Dunkirk again and it's pretty impressive (even if the out of synch stuff is just a little bit too much for my tastes) but:

Yes the RAF were criticised for "not being there", and the navy did pull back some of their destroyers because of the threat. But there were still hundreds of navy ships involved, and 16 squadrons of RAF fighters. There weren't many over the beaches but there would have been a lot about, we just see 3 and a couple navy ships at most. It looks ...small.

And the little ships, there should have been almost 400. We see about 10 get to the beach. It really undersells what was a massive effort.

Also watched 1917 this week which was pretty awesome. But it did make no sense that you had units seemingly all over the place with no communication between them. That and the Devon's advancing without an artillery barrage. It did make me look up a load of WW1 stuff in Wikipedia though, Christ that was depressing.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I haven't seen 1917 but my IIMM was in the trailer: "if you don't partake in the plot of the movie thousands will die, including your brother" - as if saving thousands of lives isn't a noble enough endeavour for the hero of a story to be interested in.

The absolute S-tier example of this though is Tenet, where the villain's wife says they have to stop her husband from blowing up all of time and space because that's where her son lives :v:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Roblo posted:

I watched Dunkirk again and it's pretty impressive (even if the out of synch stuff is just a little bit too much for my tastes) but:

Yes the RAF were criticised for "not being there", and the navy did pull back some of their destroyers because of the threat. But there were still hundreds of navy ships involved, and 16 squadrons of RAF fighters. There weren't many over the beaches but there would have been a lot about, we just see 3 and a couple navy ships at most. It looks ...small.

And the little ships, there should have been almost 400. We see about 10 get to the beach. It really undersells what was a massive effort.

The whole movie is like that. There's a handful of aircraft instead of thousands of sorties being flown by both sides, a few hundred dudes standing around on the beach instead of hundreds of thousands in , etc. The little ships in real life were mostly commanded by RN personnel; the ships were requisitioned, with or without the permission of the owners, and RN personnel assigned to operate them. And the vast majority of soldiers were evacuated by RN vessels, the little ships only took about 6000 troops off the beach and back to England, and about 20,000 out to RN ships waiting in the channel.

The way Nolan films it makes it look like it's taking place in a vacuum. Dunkirk itself is apparently vacant, but undamaged, in reality it had had the poo poo bombed out of it. The ships kept coming and going for days, there wasn't a single dawn where the entire flotilla arrives and everyone gets picked up. I understand what Nolan was doing, making a tight focus on the few speaking characters, and on one hand it's effective but on the other hand it really understates the background of what was going on.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Pilchenstein posted:

The absolute S-tier example of this though is Tenet, where the villain's wife says they have to stop her husband from blowing up all of time and space because that's where her son lives :v:

My loathing for Tenet knows no bounds. There was not one human emotion in the whole film. From start to finish, it was a near continuous irritating movie moment.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

null_pointer posted:

My loathing for Tenet knows no bounds. There was not one human emotion in the whole film. From start to finish, it was a near continuous irritating movie moment.

There are two things I find irritating about Nolan films:
a. The loving awful sound mixing
b. All the obvious but completely wasted opportunities for them to be good movies.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
My spouse kept insisting that Nolan's dialogue is garbage but I had only ever seen the Dark Knight trilogy so I thought it was on purpose because of the whole "comic book characters in a very realistic setting" aesthetic. But after seeing stuff like Tenet I completely agree with her.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I liked Tenet but the characters and dialogue were not the reason why. Though I did like Patterson in it, he seemed like the only person that wasn't some weird mannequin character.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Android Apocalypse posted:

If you want an IIMM from me, it's that you can tell how COVID-19 affected shooting The Eternals because there's very few scenes where everybody is together in one camera shot. Even the romantic scenes between Sersi & Ikaris were close-ups spliced together.

Filming wrapped in Feb 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

thepopmonster posted:

There are two things I find irritating about Nolan films:
a. The loving awful sound mixing

b. All the obvious but completely wasted opportunities for them to be good movies.

Good lord this. I can't watch any of Nolan's movies without needing the volume remote nearby except maybe for Momento.

Also, forget if I posted this already but in Escape From New York: President Pleasance is going to deliver a speech that will save the world and that he's recorded on a cassette that Snake swaps out and destroys but...

So loving what? There's no printed out draft? No notes? A back up copy? Donald Pleasance has amnesia now and never rehearsed it or holds any strong feelings on the matter that are inherently embedded in his memory? His staff can't help him recall some poo poo he thought of? It's like "well, poo poo, this ONE perfect recording I made embodied everything I feel and know but, alas, now it is gone and I can only offer the world 'American Bandstand'".

It's not a song someone wrote or a golden joke that some musician or comedian spontaneously drummed up at 2:30 am after a bender and simply can't recall the next day.