Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
That’s loving cruel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The cocoa was that post
I am the child

https://i.imgur.com/aD7lB8H.mp4

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
University pension strike ballots are back in. It's a bit of a shambles, tories put a 50% turnout requirement on strike action and there's several unis that are only one or two votes shy of that with >76% in favour of strike. In total 37 uni branches have a mandate to strike. Good luck to staff and students.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Blair cannot die. You know this

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

StarkingBarfish posted:

University pension strike ballots are back in. It's a bit of a shambles, tories put a 50% turnout requirement on strike action and there's several unis that are only one or two votes shy of that with >76% in favour of strike. In total 37 uni branches have a mandate to strike. Good luck to staff and students.

I believe several student unions are actively against strike action.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

JoylessJester posted:

And I don't really blame them, given they've had a poo poo couple of years of it. Personally I'd still rather the people teaching me were well motivated and had the time to do a good job of it though.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I don't remember this making it to the thread, so just in case.....https://twitter.com/jonkay01/status/1455853727664033795

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 5, 2021

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
So sure enough, my Bradford Factor score was too high, and I got my wrist slapped and I'm on a six-month probationary thing where if I go sick again, they'll maybe escalate to a stage TWO formal warning, and the possible end stage of this process is being fired.

It's not that I'm worried about losing my job - I'm not, really. I'm disabled, I live nearby and I'm reliable, and I'm dug in like a tick, they'd have a hard time going along without me. But man, the Bradford Factor is just utterly robotic. Why bother having a meeting if you're going to agree that all the absences were unavoidable and then issue a warning anyway? Just issue me a loving red cross on my record and let me carry on working.

someone hire me to learn python on your company's money, I am tired and fed up.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1456344476490809344

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Wonder if there'll actually be any conseque... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sorry. Caught myself there. As if the pile of barbershop hair trimmings stuffed full of overripe ham will ever face anything other than a cheese board.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

peanut- posted:

You’d know pretty quickly if this applied to you as you’d currently be getting a ~£200 a month bill to power a one bedroom flat. If that is you, I don’t think you can be locked into a contract on a variable tariff so switch asap.

I double checked and it looks like I am on the price cap. My direct debit hasn't changed and is still going to the old supplier. The new supplier has advised it could take a couple of months to set up an account and not to do anything in the meantime. Until this limbo endds it's unlikely I could switch suppliers even if I could find one to take me on.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Blair cannot die. You know this

Just lol forever if Kissinger outlives Blair.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

FT article:

https://www.ft.com/content/51c93ba3-4a59-4e88-92ed-3e152a896493

quote:

More than 100 Tory MPs failed to vote with the prime minister, even though — according to one backbencher — some were told “they would lose funding for their constituency” if they failed to toe the line

Plus, government members were told to support it or get the sack.
Some tory MPs in tears as they dutifully trooped through the govt lobby.

Thought to be more about Johnson wanting rid of Kathryn Stone, the standards commissioner who has investigated the bloated binbag full of custard on several occasions in the last few years.

Worth reading the whole article: You can read more if you register for a free account. You might even be able to read this for free if you're not a habitué of the FT.

MHO: If this doesn't give the party ammo to get shut of Slimey Johnson, I don't know what will. In Thatcher's day it would have been a visit from the men in grey but I think Johnson got shot of them all.

Cynical comment under the article:

He’s had the budget so he can’t reduce beer prices now. He could send Priti Patel to Dover, surrounded by “Border Force” officers, give her a pair of binoculars and declare there’s an invasion. He could come up with COVID epsilon but that’s more than two syllables and he’s lost too many otherwise reliable supporters. He could definitely find a Bulgarian in prison in Britain, leak whatever crimes were committed and announce a vote on reintroducing capital punishment. Or the ambassador to France must have been asked to call in any favours and find someone, anyone, even if they just sound French to insult Britain so that he can call an emergency cabinet meeting to deal with the French. Gibraltar could come under attack. Maybe send a few planes to the Falklands. He could give a speech and say that Britain’s economy will (has already if only Remainers stopped denying it) overtake China and the US combined as soon as Northern Ireland is freed from Brussels. Announce that a British scientist working in a red wall constituency has found a cure for cancer, he’s already approved it and everyone in the EU will die waiting for the EMA. Terrorism? Surely some Muslim has to come to the rescue. Even if he just steals a car - he must be stealing it on the orders of a Mullah in Pakistan to bring England’s way of life to an end. Maybe announce a trillion pounds for something.
If all this fails - there’s fish.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 5, 2021

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.
When I bought my house in 2012 the paperwork was all about proving to my solicitor who I was and where the money was coming from. Most of it was printed copies of online bills that I could have faked up with any decent PDF editor.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

JoylessJester posted:

The NUS as a whole are supportive of the strike action. There's another strike ballot result coming out today on pay.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

FWIW the post that got the woman whose name escapes me now suspended was "I loving love the Foo Fighters", posted in a Labour FB group IIRC, and the "offence" was using naughty words in an official Labour forum while an office holder.

Having said that, this post should get you banned from the forums and also from ever voicing an opinion ever again. Dave Grohl is cool, the Foo Fighers are cool (apart from that HIV denialist guitarist they got rid of), and I will choke you with one of my massive collection of checked shirts if you say otherwise.

(TBH I only really like the first album, flaws and all, but there's some crackers on the later stuff and I sort of admire his casual slide into dad-rock - much better that than going down the jukebox musical route that even loving Green Day have slid into)

I can't even name a foo fighter song now that I think about it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Will the EU throw the trade agreement with the UK in the bin if they keep playing stupid games? Unlikely, but a hilarious possibility

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1456548863167373346?t=PfXiPCA9tGHaRzFjB78ubQ&s=19

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

His Divine Shadow posted:

You should listen to The Color And The Shape

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Failed Imagineer posted:

You should listen to The Color And The Shape

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

His Divine Shadow posted:

I guarantee there are at least 5 you know just from osmosis if you've consumed any media whatsoever in the last 2 decades.

Also I've just remembered that I do actually hate the Foo Fighters through Pavlovian conditioning, because the DJ at London Stadium always plays "Learn To Fly" - a song I was at best ambivalent about even before this - as first song at half time when we've played like utter poo poo. I guess it's supposed to be uplifting or something, but instead it makes me want to throw poo poo at the pitch (fortunately it's the London Stadium and you'd need an arm like a howitzer to reach it).

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I guarantee there are at least 5 you know just from osmosis if you've consumed any media whatsoever in the last 2 decades.

Also I've just remembered that I do actually hate the Foo Fighters through Pavlovian conditioning, because the DJ at London Stadium always plays "Learn To Fly" - a song I was at best ambivalent about even before this - as first song at half time when we've played like utter poo poo. I guess it's supposed to be uplifting or something, but instead it makes me want to throw poo poo at the pitch (fortunately it's the London Stadium and you'd need an arm like a howitzer to reach it).

Quite possibly that is so, I just can't name any. I mostly listen to radio (daily) so very likely I have heard it there,

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Will the EU throw the trade agreement with the UK in the bin if they keep playing stupid games? Unlikely, but a hilarious possibility

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1456548863167373346?t=PfXiPCA9tGHaRzFjB78ubQ&s=19

I'll brexit from my brexit because my brexit is not the brexit I wanted.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
exit printer go brr

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Poor blokes trying to appeal to a crowd who happily sing 'blowing bubbles' and rate Chas as a better lyricist than Lennon. I'd cut him a bit of slack.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

exit printer go brr

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Why don't people check their Junk (or Bulk in some providers) folders?

In the past week both my boss and today my mother have denied receiving important emails (very important in mother's case - involving her house sale) until I insisted that they look in their junk folders. Mum found loads of emails from definitely not junk email from friends and so on.

Her response was a hectoring lecture to me about how dare Outlook think it has the right to decide what is and isn't junk, how the human brain is superior and so forth.

:bahgawd: :argh:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

In the past week both my boss and today my mother have denied receiving important emails (very important in mother's case - involving her house sale) until I insisted that they look in their junk folders. Mum found loads of emails from definitely not junk email from friends and so on.

Her response was a hectoring lecture to me about how dare Outlook think it has the right to decide what is and isn't junk, how the human brain is superior and so forth.

:bahgawd: :argh:

I get like 300 work mails a day, sorry I'm not checking for anything extra

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Lungboy posted:

The NUS as a whole are supportive of the strike action. There's another strike ballot result coming out today on pay.

Good! I was concerned the increased marketization of education had started to chip away at solidarity. I know when cleaning staff went on strike during my time at uni, a surprising number of students were very lovely about it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Total Meatlove posted:

Poor blokes trying to appeal to a crowd who happily sing 'blowing bubbles' and rate Chas as a better lyricist than Lennon. I'd cut him a bit of slack.

I think you'll find Chas and Dave get pretty short shrift in the claret and blue bits of London, what with them being big Spurs fans and literally recording multiple songs about how much they love Spurs.

Also what the gently caress is wrong with Bubbles? A maudlin song about how reality fucks you up at every turn should be right up this thread's alley.

Although it is hilarious how they have this whole pre-match psyche-up video and music thing with portentious drums and strings that lasts like 10 minutes, reaches a massive crescendo... and then the cheesy 1975 FA Cup squad cod-reggae recording of Bubbles kicks in. Not even the Cockney Rejects one, for shame.

Also while searching for an example of this transition (alas I couldn't find one because it's absolutely hilarious) I *did* find this vid which was taken literally from the row in front of mine at the LS, which is really spooky.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Failed Imagineer posted:

I get like 300 work mails a day, sorry I'm not checking for anything extra

Not even if they're (genuinely) offering you £1000+ as a donation and contacted you via the website contact form that always goes to junk? (that was one of the work ones).
(Obviously depends on your work.)

Re students:

My experience at uni (ok it was a LONG time ago) was the few students who bothered to vote voted tory (Thatcher back then) because 'my mum and dad always do and they said I should'.
The only time more than 10 students turned up for a students' union meeting was - given the usual lack of attendance at meetings and also noone called 'quorate' until the union had pushed through its wishes - the union president was going to push through a motion donating the entire year's funding to the RA. Someone got wind of it and called an EGM and almost the entire college (one of London Unis colleges) turned out to squash it.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Nov 5, 2021

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I never do because its always full of junk.

But thanks for the reminder, otherwise I would have missed out on this $70,000 I'm apparently due. And quite a lot of rather raunchy dating offers.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I never do because its always full of junk.

But thanks for the reminder, otherwise I would have missed out on this $70,000 I'm apparently due. And quite a lot of rather raunchy dating offers.

You might also have missed out on emails from friends about bereavements, important quotations regarding house moving, and so on.
Yes, there is a lot of junk, but a lot of important stuff ends up in junk too.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The only time more than 10 students turned up for a students' union meeting was - given the usual lack of attendance at meetings and also noone called 'quorate' until the union had pushed through its wishes - the union president was going to push through a motion donating the entire year's funding to the RA.

The Royal Artillery?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

My experience at uni (ok it was a LONG time ago) was the few students who bothered to vote voted tory (Thatcher back then) because 'my mum and dad always do and they said I should'.
The only time more than 10 students turned up for a students' union meeting was - given the usual lack of attendance at meetings and also noone called 'quorate' until the union had pushed through its wishes - the union president was going to push through a motion donating the entire year's funding to the RA. Someone got wind of it and called an EGM and almost the entire college (one of London Unis colleges) turned out to squash it.

The Radcliffe Arms? (RIP). Pub deserved it imo, they did a great cooked breakfast.

My secondary school was the same, whole lot of Tories because their parents were, literally bereft and in some cases weeping when Thatcher resigned. Meanwhile I'm walking around with a (carefully concealed) song in my heart (the song was the Internationale).

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/flying_rodent/status/1456572998404743171

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That just gets more and more bizarre as I continue reading.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Not even if they're (genuinely) offering you £1000+ as a donation and contacted you via the website contact form that always goes to junk? (that was one of the work ones).
(Obviously depends on your work.)

Ah well, seems like there's the problem. Surely you can put a rule in place to de-junk those submissions.

Everything else is crap. I might skim it once a month, or if I'm expecting a confirmation mail and it doesn't turn up or something but otherwise I'd drive myself mad if I concerned myself with apl that digital crud

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Failed Imagineer posted:

Ah well, seems like there's the problem. Surely you can put a rule in place to de-junk those submissions.

Everything else is crap. I might skim it once a month, or if I'm expecting a confirmation mail and it doesn't turn up or something but otherwise I'd drive myself mad if I concerned myself with apl that digital crud

Tried that it doesn't work most of the time :( (Also doesn't explain mother).

RA: Ira

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Nov 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
c-c-c-cross post