Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Fate Accomplice posted:

What do y'all use this thing for? after a couple days it's nice to have a watch on my wrist again, but I don't have other uses for it - seems mainly for fitness stuff?

Here’s the stuff I do with the watch in rough order of frequency.

Unlocking phone with the mask on.
Controlling podcasts/music.
Weather & sunrise/set on my wrist.
Fitness/health stuff.
Unlocking computer.
Yelling at Siri to set timers/alarms/reminders.
Apple Pay.
2FA app for work.
Dictating text messages.
Check calendar.
Ignore notifications.
Turn by turn directions without looking at a screen.
Wrist flashlight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I had a problem where my lifting gloves were pressing against the side button and activating Siri. But in your case it sounds like something was hitting things on the screen.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Bluetooth has nothing to do with workout tracking.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I bought the new AirPods and accidentally turned on notification announcements. I use my watch to track jogging but get into music or podcasts and fitness announcements really take me out of it.

I went through every device I have with me, iPhone and watch and both have Announce Notifications off but Siri keeps interrupting my vibe every kilometre to tell me my pace. It’s just driving me insane right now. Any thoughts on what to check? I initiate the fitness activity from my watch so that’s why I’m posting here but this is an ecosystem thing so either device thread would probably be valid.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Martytoof posted:

I bought the new AirPods and accidentally turned on notification announcements. I use my watch to track jogging but get into music or podcasts and fitness announcements really take me out of it.

I went through every device I have with me, iPhone and watch and both have Announce Notifications off but Siri keeps interrupting my vibe every kilometre to tell me my pace. It’s just driving me insane right now. Any thoughts on what to check? I initiate the fitness activity from my watch so that’s why I’m posting here but this is an ecosystem thing so either device thread would probably be valid.

I had this exact problem on the previous page, it only started this morning!

Zerot posted:

Go to the Watch app on your phone, go into Workouts, and turn off Voice Feedback.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh my god thank you. You have literally saved my sanity. I am not exaggerating. I found myself getting more agitated every five minutes as yet another announcement broke my vibe.

Glad I picked this thread to post in lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It's definitely some sort of bug because I haven't touched my watch since last night and then first thing this morning out of nowhere I started getting the announcments

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I had a problem where my lifting gloves were pressing against the side button and activating Siri. But in your case it sounds like something was hitting things on the screen.

I wear my watch with the flat side closest to my wrist for this exact reason

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Oh yeah I noticed that during a walk and then forgot about it. But now I have turned it off since I don't want Siri popping in to let me know I walked a mile.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

My watch has randomly started announcing over my AirPods any time I hit a kilometre during an exercise, it literally just started this morning while running. Any ideas what’s going on? I have all Siri announcements turned off

This is new with 8.0 I believe and it’s absolutely hilarious how it took 8 years for them to announce mile/km splits on a fitness watch.

e: I can see how you’d get annoyed with km splits due to the frequency, but I love hearing mile splits and it keeps me from checking my watch constantly.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 30, 2021

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah my watch usage is:

-notifications on the go
-mask unlock (works super well)
-time check
-fitness tracker / fitness + / trying to make myself take walks
-when I remember to wear it when cooking , timer.

When I worked a retail job the watch was absolutely essential. I still use it weekly and would absolutely still get it and recommend it, but yeah, not as much “use all day” action for me working at home.

I’m about to fly / travel for the first time since March 2020, so I will personally be like, super dependent on the watch while at the airport trying not to panic.

*I don’t mind flying, just the whole global pandemic thing (thankfully I am vaxxed and boosted).

Edit: oh yeah, Apple Pay isn’t essential but def useful.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 30, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My watch usage is almost entirely as a watch to tell time, ApplePay, and then I use it to track my daily jog or walk too. It does other things but I’ll be damned if I could tell you the last time I used any of them.

But I don’t want to understate just how much I’ve come to rely on my watch for ApplePay. It’s almost barbaric for me to have to pull out my phone to pay, or even worse — ~~ my physical wallet ~~ :negative:

I can actually remember an instance where I left the house without my watch, stopped in for coffee and panicked because I didn’t have my watch to pay. It took me like ten seconds to remember I still have my wallet and phone.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Violator posted:

I’ve had Voice Feedback turned on for seemingly years and it never worked until this most recent update. Glad it’s finally working but Siri should be a little more excited during workouts. :colbert:

Same here. It never worked for me

And i use my watch for

Telling time
Apple Pay
Responding to texts
Credit card notifications
Espn alerts
Spotify (when it decides it wants to loving work over 4g)
Tracking workouts/rings

vyst fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 30, 2021

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

This is new with 8.0 I believe and it’s absolutely hilarious how it took 8 years for them to announce mile/km splits on a fitness watch.

e: I can see how you’d get annoyed with km splits due to the frequency, but I love hearing mile splits and it keeps me from checking my watch constantly.
On my S3 it would just quiet my music for literally like 10 seconds before announcing anything, then rinse and repeat for all 3 metrics or whatever. So I turned it off ASAP. Is it better on newer devices? I just got an S7 last night so maybe I can turn it back on…

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Zerot posted:

My first thought is that something is activating the screen. Maybe sweat or the fabric of your clothes? I would try turning on the water lock mode and seeing if it happens again, since I think that disabled screen input.

Yes this must be it of course! Thanks everyone :tipshat:

Also, "water lock" was not obvious to me at all that it actually locks the touch screen... but yes that should be perfect for preventing accidental invocations. With the shortcuts app, I can even do a(n almost) one-click solution:

The only remaining complaint is that shortcut icons look like butt on the watch face (it doesn't display the chosen icon and colour, rather the icon in a different colour but really small on top of the shortcut icon thingy), but that's minor

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Day 2 of my new series 7 and a I managed to get a huge scratch right the middle of it :rip:

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
#1 Apple watch thing for me is still pushing the button that makes my phone beep when I can't find it.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

KDdidit posted:

#1 Apple watch thing for me is still pushing the button that makes my phone beep when I can't find it.

This and timers. I also use it daily to tune my instruments, but that’s not a mass market feature :v:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I almost feel bad. Going full work from home over the last year and a half really killed my need or ambition to wear my watch. It felt so much more useful when I had to bounce around offices and get alerts.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I’m wfh and it’s good for shaming me into standing up and exercising now though.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
First real inconvenience with the watch, just rushed to the train station and forgot the inductive charger. I will have to buy a new charger in situ since everyone else has only usb-c or lighting cables to offer.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Of all the “ugh this non-standard is so typical Apple”, the fact that you can’t Qi charge a watch is probably my top. It doesn’t have a standard lightning port so it’s literally “you’re going to carry this cable whether you want to or not”.

My iPad and MBP can all make do with USB-C, my phone is Qi or lightning, as are the airpods, so I’ve consolidated my travel charging down to USB-C brick and Qi charger, but the watch is the odd one out.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Yeah I've got a s5, hoping by the time I get a new one it'll have a different charging method.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The battery life on my S4 is starting to run dry at the end of the day so I’m hoping to upgrade in the next year or so and I’ve been holding out for Qi. If we don’t get it in 2022 I might need to upgrade anyway, but I’ll probably do a flip to whatever model introduces standard wireless power shortly after.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I wish that there was a way for Siri to announce your heart rate like setting a zone or whatever and she can tell you to slow down.

I’ve been doing a lot more running and that would be incredibly helpful imo.

Siri can’t even read your current HR out to you which kinda sucks lol.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

First real inconvenience with the watch, just rushed to the train station and forgot the inductive charger. I will have to buy a new charger in situ since everyone else has only usb-c or lighting cables to offer.

I’ve done this before. Nothing like buying a $30 charger from Walmart while out of town.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Maybe this is a stupid question, but if I’m out with my watch on cellular and my phone is at home, does my watch still get push notifications for apps that aren’t on my watch? Like for a specific example, do I get push notifications from the Gmail app since there’s no Gmail watch app?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

fourwood posted:

Maybe this is a stupid question, but if I’m out with my watch on cellular and my phone is at home, does my watch still get push notifications for apps that aren’t on my watch? Like for a specific example, do I get push notifications from the Gmail app since there’s no Gmail watch app?

Yes. You dont need an app on the watch to receive notifications for it. I have this for Google Chat if it’s any consolation

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

fourwood posted:

As long as the phone is on. If the phone loses power or is turned off, you will only get calls and iMessage.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Band question, I got an Amazon knockoff of the braided solo loop maybe 8 months back and in that time it’s gone from borderline too tight to so loose the watch almost falls off.

Does the legit version have this same issue with stretching over time or has anyone here worn one consistently for a year+ without significant stretch?

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Nov 4, 2021

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Turns out I don’t actually like the workout announcements, now that they started suddenly working. Especially how it announces when you close each ring. Needs to be higher energy, Siri just sounds depressed.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The fitness circle on my watch just shows a blank screen when I tap on it right now, seem to be doing this for a day or so, but not really coinciding with an update of any kind. Anyone else seeing this? The actual complication show progress as expected, but when I tap in for details it's blank and is missing the two additional swipe-through screens.

e: OK it seems fine after I restarted the watch. For some reason I never think to restart this thing. I can count on one hand the number of times I've had to manually shutdown/restart my Apple watches in all my years of owning them.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Nov 5, 2021

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Martytoof posted:

The fitness circle on my watch just shows a blank screen when I tap on it right now, seem to be doing this for a day or so, but not really coinciding with an update of any kind. Anyone else seeing this? The actual complication show progress as expected, but when I tap in for details it's blank and is missing the two additional swipe-through screens.

e: OK it seems fine after I restarted the watch. For some reason I never think to restart this thing. I can count on one hand the number of times I've had to manually shutdown/restart my Apple watches in all my years of owning them.

I think there is something deeply wrong with iOS 15.1 and its derivatives, I have been having lots of transient malfunctions after upgrading, be it safari having memory leaks on my iPad or my watch having random Siri activations.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Band question, I got an Amazon knockoff of the braided solo loop maybe 8 months back and in that time it’s gone from borderline too tight to so loose the watch almost falls off.

Does the legit version have this same issue with stretching over time or has anyone here worn one consistently for a year+ without significant stretch?

They stretch, but nowhere near as bad as you're describing.

I ordered a size down (5 instead of 6) and they're nice and cozy now.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Amazon Music can now be streamed directly from the Apple Watch.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I know I’m late to the party on this, but this is my first Apple Watch with an always-on display and it improves the experience so much. I always felt like such an rear end in a top hat theatrically raising my arm to check the time.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I was so jaded with my Series 3, but everything about the Series 7 is fantastic in comparison.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

You know what I was just about to post that anecdotally I've never had a problem with this but then I remembered back to no less than three hours ago when I was walking down the street with a coffee in one hand and a bagel in the other and I couldn't manage to bring up the TIME on a WATCH without first balancing the bagel on the coffee, switching hands, and only then flipping my wrist to bring up the display without getting coffee all over my jacket.

That poo poo drives me bananas and it happens almost daily, it's probably a testament to how much I love this device overall that I just kind of forget the bad user experiences and focus on the good.

I think I'll be upgrading my S4 next year (assuming the battery holds), I just hope we get proper Qi charging :(

I'm also mildly curious about getting an LTE model and toying with the idea of leaving my phone at home for jogs/walks etc. But my phone is slowly becoming my wallet-replacement and I don't want to leave home without one or the other so LTE might be an entirely redundant spend right now.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Nov 10, 2021

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Protocol7 posted:

I was so jaded with my Series 3, but everything about the Series 7 is fantastic in comparison.
Yeah, same, even little things like communication with my phone seem to be much, much faster. Maybe that’s just processor boost in the S7 but, just, literally everything is faster and much more responsive and nicer to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends

Martytoof posted:

I'm also mildly curious about getting an LTE model and toying with the idea of leaving my phone at home for jogs/walks etc. But my phone is slowly becoming my wallet-replacement and I don't want to leave home without one or the other so LTE might be an entirely redundant spend right now.

Anywhere you can use your phone to pay, you can use your watch to pay with Apple Pay. Having the LTE model would allow you to Venmo/Zelle/whatever as well. Unless you're talking about physically carrying the cash/cards on the back of your phone.