Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Which Firestick is it? The OG one lacks a bit these days, but the 4K one and presumably the current one they sell should cover enough codecs to direct play most things, so shouldn’t be grinding on a cpu in the NAS. Ah the joy of networking, trying to figure out where in the chain something is letting you down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

EL BROMANCE posted:

Which Firestick is it? The OG one lacks a bit these days, but the 4K one and presumably the current one they sell should cover enough codecs to direct play most things, so shouldn’t be grinding on a cpu in the NAS. Ah the joy of networking, trying to figure out where in the chain something is letting you down.

The 4k one from 2 yes ago or so. Only has streaming issues with Plex sometimes.

E: and yeah frustrating because everything else runs great, I doubt connection is an issue here.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I'd say it's 99% certain connection is the issue.
Most plex content is going to be of significantly higher bitrate than streaming services at 1080p.

The most basic step is to look to see if it's transcoding the content. If it isn't, it's the connection.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Khablam posted:

I'd say it's 99% certain connection is the issue.
Most plex content is going to be of significantly higher bitrate than streaming services at 1080p.

The most basic step is to look to see if it's transcoding the content. If it isn't, it's the connection.

There's no way to improve the connection further.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

That Works posted:

The 4k one from 2 yes ago or so. Only has streaming issues with Plex sometimes.

E: and yeah frustrating because everything else runs great, I doubt connection is an issue here.

Streaming 1080p blu-ray encodes from a homebuilt NAS isn't the same as streaming 1080p or 4K optimized encodes from Netflix/Amazon server farms. Just ruling this out, but I'm assuming your Unraid box is hardwired (is wifi NAS even a thing?) [edit] How far is the Firestick from the AP? And are the video streams being transcoded?

teagone fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Nov 5, 2021

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

teagone posted:

Streaming 1080p blu-ray encodes from a homebuilt NAS isn't the same as streaming 1080p or 4K optimized encodes from Netflix/Amazon server farms. Just ruling this out, but I'm assuming your Unraid box is hardwired (is wifi NAS even a thing?) [edit] How far is the Firestick from the AP? And are the video streams being transcoded?

Transcoding is running, just checked it again to confirm.

The Unraid box is set up using 22g of Ram and this processor (i3-3220, says quick sync is available) https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/65693/intel-core-i33220-processor-3m-cache-3-30-ghz.html

The Unraid box itself is directly wired into the router, the firestick is not and is not in a place where it can be directly wired at this time. There is an access point within 7 feet of the firestick and the signal strength on the Firestick side records it as strong as it can get. Running a speed test on the firestick through the Silk browser shows 50Mbps to the stick and that's fairly reproducible.

I don't have other users sharing the library / running streams simultaneously.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Unraid docker containers won't use quicksync without some fiddling, so perhaps it's not working correctly?
That CPU won't HW decode hevc video, so I could certainly see a world where high-bitrate source files consume enough of your CPU that you can't transcode.

The primary solution to this is to just not transcode - is there a reason you're doing so over a wLAN?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
If you want quick sync to work you have to mount the quick sync device from the unraid host inside the docker. Also IIRC that's not a great idea with the 3 series intel chips as the quality isn't great.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

That Works posted:

Transcoding is running, just checked it again to confirm.

Have your Firestick force Direct Play instead of requesting your NAS to transcode and see if that helps. Are your 1080p videos blu-ray remuxes? Or have they been encoded down to a more modest bitrate?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Khablam posted:

Unraid docker containers won't use quicksync without some fiddling, so perhaps it's not working correctly?
That CPU won't HW decode hevc video, so I could certainly see a world where high-bitrate source files consume enough of your CPU that you can't transcode.

The primary solution to this is to just not transcode - is there a reason you're doing so over a wLAN?

I was running into this same discussion while searching, ie having to fiddle with docker.

As for not transcoding... naivete / ignorance on my part! I'll give it a go and see how the firestick handles it.

teagone posted:

Have your Firestick force Direct Play instead of requesting your NAS to transcode and see if that helps. Are your 1080p videos blu-ray remuxes? Or have they been encoded down to a more modest bitrate?

A bit all over the place really, I try to prioritize everything to 265 > 264 > not remux but there might still be some remux versions lurking in there that I need to prune / update.

Matt Zerella posted:

If you want quick sync to work you have to mount the quick sync device from the unraid host inside the docker. Also IIRC that's not a great idea with the 3 series intel chips as the quality isn't great.

Yeah as I said above I just was reading on some similar things about getting quick sync up within docker. Good to know that the chip I have probably isn't up to snuff... bummer.

Thanks all for the help, I'll turn off transcoding to that device and see how it responds.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
I'm pretty sure Plex does what I want it to, but before I nerd out and go over all the tech info and the OP...

I'm looking for an app that will allow my TV to play media that's stored on my laptop currently. This is my TV https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0885N17CC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It's a 2020 or 2021 model so I'm pretty sure it's capable of handling this within Roku.

What I'm trying to accomplish is no longer having to manually attach my laptop to my tv with a HDMI cord to watch videos (.avi's etc) that are stored on my laptop. I want to just be able to Turn on my TV, go to the app, find the media I want to watch, and then stream it on the TV.

My question is, does Plex accomplish all that by itself? Or will I still need to buy some sort of Cast dongle like the chrome cast usb in order to do that?
The laptop and the TV are in the same room on the same wifi network. Thanks for the help.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Plex will do that but you will need to install the plex server part on the laptop and the client on the tv.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
NvM Okay thanks thats awesome.

Dennis McClaren fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 7, 2021

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Dennis McClaren posted:

Ok thanks. Do I need to buy a streaming device like Chromecast or Firestick? Or is having a Roku TV enough - Plex does the mirroring?

You just need the plex app in Roku. I think roku calls that stuff channels?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I was just looking through my Simpsons DVDs and totally forgot there was a feature where while watching an episode you could press the "angle" button if Homer's face showed up on the screen and it would play a deleted scene from that spot in the episode. Is there any way to rip my DVDs for Plex so that this is retained?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

PLEX won't ever support DVD folders / ISO files, which is what you need intact to be able to use features like that.
Everyone stopped adding features like that 15 years ago so as fun as they are, it's just not something you'll see much support for.

You can absolutely RIP the extras however, and store and watch them with PLEX. They'll just not link. Perhaps some enterprising Simpsons fan has some way of ordering the extras to make sense(?)

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I'm pretty sure Kodi (or at least XBMC did) allows you to "mount" DVDs to for features like that.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Yeah Kodi can do that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

A better option would be to track down the rips that people have done some great processing on that look way better than the DVDs themselves, which are pretty cruddy quality like most animation series that got retail releases around then.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I always figured processing looks like crap? The DVDs I ripped look really good. I pretty much leave them as mpeg2 though.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I've always wished Plex would just let you mount the iso. Space is cheap, let me keep the menus and overlays and goofy poo poo.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I always figured processing looks like crap? The DVDs I ripped look really good. I pretty much leave them as mpeg2 though.

The examples I've seen have been pretty great for SD animated shows, the tools have gotten quite sophisticated.

A nice example frame someone posted the other day (the preview is crap, make sure to open the frames fully in their own tabs) https://www.reddit.com/r/waifu2x/comments/qmp47w/1080_to_4k_before_and_after_using_ultra_quality/

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

I've always wished Plex would just let you mount the iso. Space is cheap, let me keep the menus and overlays and goofy poo poo.

I think the bigger issue from their end is how they would then handle streaming from the Plex host, since now you've got interactive input with the DVD itself and such. It's probably not a massive undertaking, but it's more complicated than "play/pause/stop" and such.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

EL BROMANCE posted:

The examples I've seen have been pretty great for SD animated shows, the tools have gotten quite sophisticated.

A nice example frame someone posted the other day (the preview is crap, make sure to open the frames fully in their own tabs) https://www.reddit.com/r/waifu2x/comments/qmp47w/1080_to_4k_before_and_after_using_ultra_quality/

I guess that's cool and all but why would you want a 4k render of a 45 year old cartoon?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's not something I have personal interest in, but I think restoring media that's overlooked is neat.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bonzo posted:

I guess that's cool and all but why would you want a 4k render of a 45 year old cartoon?

That's a difference in clarity that would be obvious even at 480p, and cartoons like that compress so well that the disk space difference between 1080p and 4k is going to be fuckall for any of the media hoarders here.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Bonzo posted:

A cartoon that old would be hard drawn, and would benefit from a high-res rescan, if the original cels still exist.

This app they're using apparently uses neural networks to add fidelity to low res video, which is incredibly cool. In theory you could get close to, or even surpass, the fidelity of the originals animation cels, which are surely all but completely lost to history at this point.

It's like the difference between a JPEG and an SVG.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

IOwnCalculus posted:

That's a difference in clarity that would be obvious even at 480p, and cartoons like that compress so well that the disk space difference between 1080p and 4k is going to be fuckall for any of the media hoarders here.

Yeah, I'm not sure why the person in that example decided to upres (or even where he found a 1080p source that looked that bad but it wouldn't surprise me if that's an official HD release for the show somewhere)

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So it's a bit too late for this, but I figured it is worth asking for the future.

I recently reformatted my computer to do a clean installation. My Plex library ended up showing that my old server was unreachable and that my new fresh install was a new server. No big deal really... all I really had to do was unpin the old servers on my TV, and then marked everything as watched and just marked the couple new things as unwatched. Boom, done...

Was there a better way that I should have done this though? I feel like there probably was, but I didn't quite think of this before I reformatted.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The official method has worked perfectly the two times I had cause to do it: https://support.plex.tv/articles/201370363-move-an-install-to-another-system/

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Thought you guys would appreciate my pain. I spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to figure out why Chucky wasn't being marked as played, despite every other show working. It took me until last week to realize I'm an idiot.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ha! Definitely been tricked by similar things in the past, that's a fun one.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Oh man

F

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I wish plex actually had a way to flip that setting and would only mark played items and leave everything else untouched

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Plex client on atv updated today and there's a theme option. Not sure if that is new, but it does change the color of the played mark.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Medullah posted:

Thought you guys would appreciate my pain. I spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to figure out why Chucky wasn't being marked as played, despite every other show working. It took me until last week to realize I'm an idiot.

It's not just you, friend. I have no idea what I'm meant to see in this screen shot.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The background in the top right corner looks like the unplayed symbol.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

The background in the top right corner looks like the unplayed symbol.

Oh.

Oh!

I just laughed out loud and woke up my wife.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

cruft posted:

Oh.

Oh!

Same lol I am glad I wasn't the only one not seeing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

cruft posted:

Oh, that was you. I was wondering the she woke up again 7½ hours later.