Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

you aren't meant to put the balls in!

Someone hasn’t heard of Balldo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The boys hit their own little powers pretty early in Eye of the world and if they’re going as fast through the books that it seems like they are, it’ll be blown pretty fast. It’s literally the worst kept secret in the books and it has zero payoff so focusing on it is weird. But I guess it would be appropriate for the WoT series to focus on something with little payoff.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

How are u posted:

Well I hope not, the longer they draw it out the sillier it is going to be.

all 5 of them walk into shayol ghul at the end

dark one is like 'eh, that one i guess'

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

It's a good hook for the first three eps, I hope it doesn't go past that.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

they're gonna be covering stuff from multiple books in season 1 so realistically the reveal will happen after a few episodes once you get to know everyone and the gravity can settle in

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

You do that and you're going to get people wondering why the series is "suddenly about this dork now".
That's basically the mat dilemma. A worthless lunk for two books who suddenly gets interesting with some POV chapters. People are gonna hate him if they stick to the books, curious if they're gonna just let him be an antagonistic idiot for a full season.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Pander posted:

That's basically the mat dilemma. A worthless lunk for two books who suddenly gets interesting with some POV chapters. People are gonna hate him if they stick to the books, curious if they're gonna just let him be an antagonistic idiot for a full season.

They are, which is why they're getting a much more charismatic actor for him in season 2 to pretend like it's a different character altogether.

Edit: Just to be clear, this is intended to be read as a joke. I don't think we have any idea why they replaced the actor.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

They are, which is why they're getting a much more charismatic actor for him in season 2 to pretend like it's a different character altogether.

Edit: Just to be clear, this is intended to be read as a joke. I don't think we have any idea why they replaced the actor.

We sort of do. There were some hints during the recent interviews, but nothing was said outright. Basically Mat's actor is (allegedly) a colossal rear end in a top hat who did not meld with the rest of the team, did not have a good handle on who the characters were/their motivations in general, and I saw someone say he had a bit of a coke problem. We don't know if that's true for sure or not, but it melds with everything else.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
If they raise Egwene as a false dragon instead of amyrilin, it could be a better plot.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Book essentialists: men do magic like this, women do magic like this

Show stans: HAVE 👏 MORE 👏 FEMALE 👏 DRAGONS 👏

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

ninjoatse.cx posted:

If they raise Egwene as a false dragon instead of amyrilin, it could be a better plot.

:psyduck:

That's like her best plotline in the whole series!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Getting spanked

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

whole writers room in a tizzy trying to figure out how to make the reworked False Dragon Egwene still get spanked a lot

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

y'all sleeping on real dragon nynaeve, the chad's choice

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

SerSpook posted:

y'all sleeping on real dragon nynaeve, the chad's choice

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I came across an instance in TDR of Nynaeve using balefire unwittingly when they were traveling to Tear and got waylaid by brigands.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

white tower channels like this

black tower channels like this

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Tel'aran'rhiod is going to be handled via oculus as a brand tie-in

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
too hard to say, they should rename it "Meta" or something cool like that

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/Moridin1024/status/1456098135026114564?t=caZSgBG-7OskKPA2JjQVLg&s=19

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

The've announced some screenings in cinemas at least around the US. The wheel takes people will be hosting the chicago one

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

you aren't meant to put the balls in!

TP is stored in the balls

The Chode and Ball

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I finished book one. I liked it! Gonna move on to book 2 and see if my interest keeps. The book certainly did have pacing issues, especially early on but once things start to move the "chase", so to speak, feels pretty unrelenting even when they're resting at a place which added to the tension. The idea of the villains using psychological warfare to wear down the three protagonists was pretty neat too. We're so used to the protagonists receiving visions from or of the evil but we don't really see the toll it takes on them. So is Nynaeve and Lan's "relationship" going to be the a taste of what's to come with that sort of thing in these books? That was such a sudden and hackney thing to pull out of nowhere in one of the last chapters of the first book. I had to wonder if the author forgot to excise it when he did the rest of their interactions. They barely spoke to each other! I think it also think it lowers Nynaeve as a character because her hostility towards Moiraine went from thinking she had some devious plan for the people she cares for to she dislikes her because of jealous rage (because she has the full attention of a guy she likes). Egwene has this problem too. Boys can't be jealous that the girls are talking (and dancing) with other boys but if the boys talk to other girls oooooohhh! How dare they!

It's one of the few things that really show the times the book was written in. Eh, dumb stumbles like that aside, it was a fun read for the most part. Not in huge love with it but I'm interested enough to try book 2. The ending was great, though. It left enough open that you could theoretically just stop there and never read another one and you'll get a pretty good end-point. Just enough is solved and held for future books that you can go either way and feel good about it which is probably a really hard thing to pull off.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I think the Nynaeve/Moiraine dynamic is very complex, boiling it down to just 'she has Lan' is reductive. Yes that's a part of it but it's also emblematic of Nynaeve's feelings towards channellers, the clear social class divides of villager vs noblewoman and Nynaeve's connection to the Two Rivers folk. Egwene's being dumb as hell though but y'know, she is 16 :v:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Without spoiling anything, if you like:

* intricate politics and scheming and rivalries
* long discussions of in-universe mechanics of magic and cultural practices
* descriptions of dresses
* people misunderstanding each other's intentions (romantic and otherwise) and being frustrated with each other's actions/inactions

Then the rest of the series is for you. If not, it's going to become challenging.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I'd say you're going to get a great read out of book 2.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, books 2 and onwards are markedly different than 1 in a way that every single person in this thread can 100% back that up, so i would say to give it through 2 and 3 at least if you want an idea of if you want to continue.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Also don't read this thread much. It really is a *heavy* spoiler free for all right now.

We might want to split off a separate thread for new wot book readers.

quote:

So is Nynaeve and Lan's "relationship" going to be the a taste of what's to come with that sort of thing in these books? That was such a sudden and hackney thing to pull out of nowhere in one of the last chapters of the first book

There are actually a lot of foreshadowing and hints of that but they're easy to miss on a first read.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Nov 5, 2021

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

We might want to split off a separate thread for new wot book readers.

this is a good idea, anyone starting would be absolutely ruined for end-game poo poo if they read any given page of this thread

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Elyas continues to own, I refuse to spoiler this

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Data Graham posted:

* people misunderstanding each other's intentions (romantic and otherwise) and being frustrated with each other's actions/inactions

also to be fair, when this finally comes to a head and then gets mostly resolved in the last two books.. BOY HOWDY is that payoff REALLY satisfying.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Rarity posted:

I think the Nynaeve/Moiraine dynamic is very complex, boiling it down to just 'she has Lan' is reductive. Yes that's a part of it but it's also emblematic of Nynaeve's feelings towards channellers, the clear social class divides of villager vs noblewoman and Nynaeve's connection to the Two Rivers folk. Egwene's being dumb as hell though but y'know, she is 16 :v:

I'm not saying it is, but considering those two have zero chemistry and not a single thing written has hinted that Nynaeve wanting to settle with Lan. They barely interact and the only headspace we got perspective from was Nynaeve and it was only ones of fulfillment of being able to either track Lan or get one over on him and Moiraine. Nothing wrong with that, it's part of her character, but it didn't give me any hints she saw Lan anything more than a challenge to meet. So her having this weird heart-to-heart about wanting to settle with him just adds a lovely layer to a justified hostile relationship.

Would have came off better and probably more in-character if she wanted to go for a roll with Lan.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Jimbot posted:

I'm not saying it is, but considering those two have zero chemistry and not a single thing written has hinted that Nynaeve wanting to settle with Lan. They barely interact and the only headspace we got perspective from was Nynaeve and it was only ones of fulfillment of being able to either track Lan or get one over on him and Moiraine. Nothing wrong with that, it's part of her character, but it didn't give me any hints she saw Lan anything more than a challenge to meet. So her having this weird heart-to-heart about wanting to settle with him just adds a lovely layer to a justified hostile relationship.

Would have came off better and probably more in-character if she wanted to go for a roll with Lan.

Nynaeve is clearly thirsty for Lan as early as when she ends up with Moiraine and Lan in the post-Shadar Logoth split. Lan's reciprocation is harder to spot but it's obvious on a re-read. They get way more shown development than most of the other alleged relationships.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I'll be pissed if we don't get Nynaeve/Lan on screen just because we won't get "Is there a way to make sure she knows it's me?"

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Jimbot posted:

those two have zero chemistry and not a single thing written has hinted that Nynaeve wanting to settle with Lan.

lmao, amazing :allears:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jimbot posted:

those two have zero chemistry and not a single thing written has hinted that Nynaeve wanting to settle with Lan

:cripes:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

If you feel so strongly about this point, I'm open to examples of where this is so super apparent that I'm some kind of oblivious moron for missing. Maybe I did miss it but nothing comes to mind other than Lan being Lan. It's cool that if I were to reread this book after going through the whole thing and somehow remembering all of it that I'd pick up on these things but as a first time through it is sudden and not good.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Weird, all these people around me are just delusional

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
The big one is

quote:

"You ... followed our trail?" Lan said, truly surprised for the first time that Rand could remember. "I must be getting careless."
"You left very little trace, but I can track as well as any man in the Two Rivers, except perhaps Tam al'Thor." She hesitated, then added, "Until my father died, he took me hunting with him, and taught me what he would have taught the sons he never had." She looked at Lan challengingly, but he only nodded with approval.
"If you can follow a trail I have tried to hide, he taught you well. Few can do that, even in the Borderlands."
Abruptly Nynaeve buried her face in her cup. Rand's eyes widened. She was blushing. Nynaeve never showed herself even the least bit disconcerted. Angry, yes; outraged, often; but never out of countenance. But she was certainly redcheeked now, and trying to hide in the wine.

There are others later but that's the big hint. It's all fairly low key because they're both types that hide their romantic emotions and we don't see much from their viewpoints in the first book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jimbot posted:

If you feel so strongly about this point, I'm open to examples of where this is so super apparent that I'm some kind of oblivious moron for missing. Maybe I did miss it but nothing comes to mind other than Lan being Lan. It's cool that if I were to reread this book after going through the whole thing and somehow remembering all of it that I'd pick up on these things but as a first time through it is sudden and not good.

Off the top of my head:

- In Baerlon when Lan's impressed Nynaeve tracked him and Nynaeve gets all flustered about it

- Lan being very tender with her after Shadar Logoth

- Their whole dynamic during the Perrin/Egwene rescue where Lan almost disobeys Moiraine to save her