Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Can you reach out to a player during this process or is that tampering?

Like if a team on waiver reached out and was like "hey if we sign you are you gonna be a shithead about it" can you do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

You can.

If his salary is down to a million, then you can just claim him and if he acts like a poo poo, you cut him and it costs you nothing. The funny result would be him going down that line as each team claims and hates him after a few days.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Hawks seem interesting from a football standpoint. The Jags seem interesting from a drama standpoint.

So it'll be the Texans if it's one of those top 10 waiver teams to annoy everyone.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Why would Beckham agree to a reduced salary? There seems like no benefit to him. Surely he'd rather have a salary that either pays him a bunch of money or lets him clear waivers and pick his own team.

Did the Browns only agree to release him if he renegotiated his salary? Is this to reduce their dead cap number?

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Why would Beckham agree to a reduced salary? There seems like no benefit to him.

Did the Browns only agree to release him if he renegotiated his salary? Is this to reduce their dead cap number?

Based on the reports, it was contingent. If they were on the hook for his full salary no matter what, they'd rather he didn't play for a competitor. So he had to cut it down to get released, but hes hoping it's still big enough that no one will claim him.

Nov 6, 2002

I hope we don't end up with another Randy Moss on the Titans situation, cause that was boring as hell.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I want the Giants to claim him

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Blitz of 404 Error posted:

Can you reach out to a player during this process or is that tampering?

you can tamper whenever you drat well please

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
There's nothing going on in Green Bay he should go there to stir the pot a bit

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

Seahawks were at one point so desperate for help they got Josh Gordon. I wonder if they'd be interested, especially with Russ coming back.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Woozie66 posted:

Seahawks were at one point so desperate for help they got Josh Gordon. I wonder if they'd be interested, especially with Russ coming back.

They spent a second rounder on wr help, who looked good for half a game before getting his bell rung so bad he still had visual distortions two months later. So yeah I'm guessing they'd take the help if they can get it.

Problem is, Russ is almost as averse to throwing over the middle as Baker is

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

If he clears waivers I would bet money on him going to the Bucs. He's wanted to play with Brady since his Giant years and I'm sure he'd sign for peanuts to play out the season with Brady on a potential Super Bowl contender, and the Bucs are always happy to pickup another potential toy.

He'd be like the 7th receiving option and probably would have a hard time being active on game days. Tampa won't sign him.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

I hope we don't end up with another Randy Moss on the Titans situation, cause that was boring as hell.

Moss by then was cooked

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Obj to the giants, book it

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Bring that washed up loser back to the giants imo. Justify those hundreds of prime time games

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

If he clears waivers

He won't.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Woozie66 posted:

I totally forgot Gordon was on the Chiefs active roster. Seems like its been a big nothing so far.

Benjamin Disraeli
Oct 19, 2005

Let's have some fun
This beat is sick
Let's play a Love game!
Can't he just tell teams that potentially could claim him, such as the Lions, that he won't play for them if they claim him? I feel like some other players have manipulated the waver wire in some way like this in the past.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Moss by then was cooked

Also his QBs in Tennessee were the 2010 versions of Kerry Collins, Vince Young, and Rusty Smith. He wasn’t too bad as a depth guy with the 49ers two years later.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Release the Siemian

https://twitter.com/Kat_Terrell/status/1456632395461971972

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

Benjamin Disraeli posted:

Can't he just tell teams that potentially could claim him, such as the Lions, that he won't play for them if they claim him? I feel like some other players have manipulated the waver wire in some way like this in the past.

He could. But they lose nothing by trying to claim him and he loses playing time if he forces them to re-waive him.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Great job analytics. I could've gotten a shrimp po'boy at least

https://twitter.com/Browns/status/1456623388861030404

They better loving pay Teller with these all important cap savings.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
OBJ: "Thank god I'm finally released!"

*Lions claim him*

OBJ: "No no not like this"

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

FUCKFACE MORON posted:

OBJ: "Thank god I'm finally released!"

*Lions claim him*

OBJ: "No no not like this"

I thought OBJ liked :metis:, not kneecaps. He’s not a Lions guy.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

don't count out Touchdown Trevor

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

If they could've gotten OBJ to agree to this restructure, why didn't they do it on Monday when they could've gotten a late round pick for him at least?

C'mon analytics, that's a long snapper right there.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

But OBJs dad didn't imply mean things about Baker on monday

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
:siren: frank gore sighting :siren:

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/1456628422323621891?s=21

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Kalli posted:

If they could've gotten OBJ to agree to this restructure, why didn't they do it on Monday when they could've gotten a late round pick for him at least?

C'mon analytics, that's a long snapper right there.

That’s my question too. The Saints clearly had interest before the trade deadline. The Browns are going to eat the money anyway, get a draft pick back.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
why would obj agree to a salary reduction to go into waivers and get picked by the lions or dolphins? seems nonsensical

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

This stupid rear end team. I swear in a year or 2 we're going to find out the release happened because OBJ's dad being mean was the final straw.

https://twitter.com/MaryKayCabot/status/1456597809944219650?s=20

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster

frank gores favorite food is broken glass. frank gores favorite pastime is smashing his head into a wall.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I feel like Frank Gore must have a Homer Simpson-level ability to absorb head trauma

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ammanas posted:

why would obj agree to a salary reduction to go into waivers and get picked by the lions or dolphins? seems nonsensical

Not a reduction, they're converting most of his base salary into a signing bonus so that the Browns pay it instead of OBJ.

This mostly fucks over OBJ because now a bad team is likely to take a flier on him, but the Browns likely told him they'd just deactivate him for the rest of the year if he didn't.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Hoping he drops to the saints. By God do we need even a lovely Diva WR

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Aaron Rodgers is so loving dumb.

Nov 6, 2002

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Nov 6, 2002

The Lions should be crafty and claim OBJ so they can trade him to the Saints.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Really he should be suspended for awhile and the Packers organization heavily fined.

What he was doing put every reporter and other person in that organization at risk because they didn't want to make their star QB wear a mask and not be able to go to a halloween party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larch
Dec 20, 2004

BEE LOVER

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

How many is it anyway?

Cousins
Rogers
Jackson
Wentz