Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

that bitch who murdered people in kenosha is def getting off clean, and nobody will be convicted for arbery's death either

because we live in an evil place
you’re right on Killa Kyle, but Arbery’s killers (probably) arent getting away with that poo poo, even in demon cracker nation. Zimmerman was at least lucky enough not to film himself hunting down and killing a black kid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Brace always said to catch a pedophile you have to become a pedophile

ah yes, the belden program

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The sports episode with Liz and Stavros was excellent, listening to Liz just do solid Jock Talk for an hour was a blast.

RE the new episode: What are y’all’s methods for getting out of jury duty? The one time I had to go down to city hall I had this elaborate idea for what to do or say but the 2nd or 3rd question is “do you trust the police?” and I was like “no gently caress the police” and they were like “would you be more likely to believe a cop and think they were telling the truth?” and I said “lmao” and they let me go home.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Jury duty sounds rad cause I’d get paid to do it

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s $9 a day

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Bust Rodd posted:

RE the new episode: What are y’all’s methods for getting out of jury duty?
if i couldn’t get in trouble for lying to the court, i would say i know one of the parties

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

The sports episode with Liz and Stavros was excellent, listening to Liz just do solid Jock Talk for an hour was a blast.

RE the new episode: What are y’all’s methods for getting out of jury duty? The one time I had to go down to city hall I had this elaborate idea for what to do or say but the 2nd or 3rd question is “do you trust the police?” and I was like “no gently caress the police” and they were like “would you be more likely to believe a cop and think they were telling the truth?” and I said “lmao” and they let me go home.

i said an amazon package was stolen from my porch and i was too lazy to file a police report

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the easiest way to get out of jury duty is just be excited to perform your civic duty, loudly articulating the fact that it is perfectly within the scope of one's duties to vote to acquit the defendant no matter how ironclad the evidence of the case

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Show up with a shirt that says "GOOGLE JURY NULLIFICATION"

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I got paid $35 to spend 7 hours at the court and not get selected. I also got free chips, and coffee.

The case sounded pretty dumb anyways.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

TenementFunster posted:

you’re right on Killa Kyle, but Arbery’s killers (probably) arent getting away with that poo poo, even in demon cracker nation. Zimmerman was at least lucky enough not to film himself hunting down and killing a black kid

I really really hope they bag the guys that lynched Arbery. It's the only time I've been angry enough to email someone - the ex prosecutor or whoever that told the police that they acted in self defense based on the evidence and advised them not to arrest. Then the video dropped and I don't know if I've ever been more angry in my life and I had to track down his email and tear him a new one. Doubt he read it but that poo poo was mind-meltingly infuriating.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i was on jury duty in college with 9/12 jurors made up of college students who deferred it to winter break. case was a DUI where the driver was going 125 in a 55 and got pulled over, refused a breathalyzer and blood test (i guess this automatically forfeits your license for a year?), and then the cop said he smelled like alcohol so charged with DUI. we the jury didn't feel like we could determine beyond a reasonable doubt that the cop could smell +/- 0.8 BAC so we had to acquit. rode down the elevator with the prosecutor after the trial and he was like i had nothing to work with this should never have come to trial lol owned. trial was only a day i think so wasn't too big a deal

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

It's getting harder to present yourself as an undesirable juror, at least where I live. My dad flat out said he believed in juror nullification and he still got seated on a jury. And one of my friends went on a long winded rant about drug legalization and police corruption and they sent him back to the jury pool for three days before they dismissed him.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

i was excited about jury duty because i was hoping for a cool crime. instead, i got a case where one woman rear-ended another woman and was suing her because insurance wouldn't pay for her chiropractor. loving boring.

the lawyers asked a bunch of questions (who are you, where you work, etc) and then asked if you had any biases that would affect your judgement. there were like 60 potential jurors and i was the only one who said yes. i just said i don't think chiropractors are real doctors and it's not real medicine. didn't even have to lie.

didn't get selected but my girlfriend got really mad at me because she went to the chiropractor every other week. we got in a huge argument when i said 'if it works so great why do you keep having to go back?" lol

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Show up with a shirt that says "GOOGLE JURY NULLIFICATION"

lifehack: engrave this on a gun and then commit crimes with it.

Trillhouse fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 5, 2021

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I did jury duty few years ago on some boring pointless civil case. I still enjoy the time and experience. It was fun to see how it all works.

Also, I just got a stand by summons last month but didn't have to go in at all last Friday.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Sorry your girlfriend is a moron with back problems, lol

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

ex-gf now. enjoy your stupid back. it will never get fixed

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I used to get community acupuncture done but that’s literally just because I like the sensation of being stabbed. In college I would donate blood every month like clockwork. I don’t think it gives me magic powers or has any health benefits besides being extremely relaxing but that’s worth $40 every couple weeks.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

For most jury duty you can just walk out and they can't actually say anything since the gold fringe around the United States flag which is in pretty much every court, designates them as Admiralty courts and those cannot hear other kinds of cases, or signal that the court is operating under maritime law which has a different jury selection that precludes most people(most people in this thread prolly)

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Omnicarus posted:

For most jury duty you can just walk out and they can't actually say anything since the gold fringe around the United States flag which is in pretty much every court, designates them as Admiralty courts and those cannot hear other kinds of cases, or signal that the court is operating under maritime law which has a different jury selection that precludes most people(most people in this thread prolly)

hey since you're here posting that stuff anyways, ive been vague on a detail to this story that noone has ever been able to explain to me, maybe you can help:

but why admiralty courts?

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=fined%20skipping%20jury%20duty

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Delta-Wye posted:

hey since you're here posting that stuff anyways, ive been vague on a detail to this story that noone has ever been able to explain to me, maybe you can help:

but why admiralty courts?

Because ships are the queens of the sea and monarchy, by seniority preference, have precedence over modern courts. This is very obvious if you think about it.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

as an admiral it's always really awkward when they attempt to try me in regular rear end court

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Tweezer Reprise posted:

as an admiral it's always really awkward when they attempt to try me in regular rear end court

Thank you for your service :patriot:

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

Omnicarus posted:

Thank you for your service :patriot:

no, thank YOU for the cool rear end boat i live on :hellyeah:

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Groovelord Neato posted:

I really really hope they bag the guys that lynched Arbery. It's the only time I've been angry enough to email someone - the ex prosecutor or whoever that told the police that they acted in self defense based on the evidence and advised them not to arrest. Then the video dropped and I don't know if I've ever been more angry in my life and I had to track down his email and tear him a new one. Doubt he read it but that poo poo was mind-meltingly infuriating.
that prosecutor absolutely needs to be subject to a non-actionable parody in the world of minecraft. absolutely incredible.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Big Bidness posted:

It's getting harder to present yourself as an undesirable juror, at least where I live. My dad flat out said he believed in juror nullification and he still got seated on a jury. And one of my friends went on a long winded rant about drug legalization and police corruption and they sent him back to the jury pool for three days before they dismissed him.
if you go out of your way to be a pain or make a
big show that you googled “how to get out of being on a jury,” expect court personnel to make things difficult for you in return

Trillhouse posted:

lifehack: engrave this on a gun and then commit crimes with it.
lol

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

TenementFunster posted:

that prosecutor absolutely needs to be subject to a non-actionable parody in the world of minecraft. absolutely incredible.

Yeah I didn't go quite that far in case they somehow tracked it back to me but I wanted to. I almost messaged his son because I thought it was him at first because I couldn't find the email but eventually got it.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah I didn't go quite that far in case they somehow tracked it back to me but I wanted to. I almost messaged his son because I thought it was him at first because I couldn't find the email but eventually got it.

ThankU4UrService

No irony

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
I was selected to be on jury duty and would have to log in every night to see if I had to come in that day but then every docket was delayed indefinitely due to covid so that’s my pro tip for getting out of jury duty.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Catching up on the Social Media episode and I guess if you’d asked me if I knew that TikTok teens and Magik Users were pretending to be insane with comical South Park impressions of mental illness for clout I’d have been like “fine, that sucks, sure of course that’s a thing, that’s what Livejournal was 20 years ago” but Jesus it suuuuuuuuuucks to hear about it just the same.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

Catching up on the Social Media episode and I guess if you’d asked me if I knew that TikTok teens and Magik Users were pretending to be insane with comical South Park impressions of mental illness for clout I’d have been like “fine, that sucks, sure of course that’s a thing, that’s what Livejournal was 20 years ago” but Jesus it suuuuuuuuuucks to hear about it just the same.

Yeah but now it's also CIA spymasters up to their eyeballs with Havana rays who yell "beans" as they mash the drone launch button.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Does anyone else need their phone for work? I’ve completely given up on decoupling from my phone in a meaningful way because my job has extremely long demanding hours and I have to log absolutely everything in an ap

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

whoa didn't know they had apps for blowing guys now

the future rules.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Bust Rodd posted:

Does anyone else need their phone for work? I’ve completely given up on decoupling from my phone in a meaningful way because my job has extremely long demanding hours and I have to log absolutely everything in an ap
drat that sounds like a ton of unpaid overtime. tell me you aren’t paying for the phone too

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Bust Rodd posted:

nope. i'd never work a job that required me to use a personal phone for literally any reason.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Previa_fun posted:

whoa didn't know they had apps for blowing guys now

the future rules.

lol

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
Bust i feel like you've really oversold the dog loving episodes.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I dunno, that poo poo is an order of magnitude more interesting to me than the Benghazi episodes or the super long and boring Elon Musk episodes that had been covered exhaustively by 50 other media outlets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i just want liz to teach me finance