Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
That's why I kind of miss the longer time span you had back when plansealkers were immortal. Right now the multiverse is just constantly having stuff going on when before you could have like a thousand years of no world changing events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

neaden posted:

That's why I kind of miss the longer time span you had back when plansealkers were immortal. Right now the multiverse is just constantly having stuff going on when before you could have like a thousand years of no world changing events.

How can you know this? we were almost always on Dominaria.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

A multi-dimensional cosmic entity living on the moon of a gothic horror world? *Simpsons did it voice* Bloodborne did it

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

YggdrasilTM posted:

How can you know this? we were almost always on Dominaria.

Gerrard the result of a multi generational breeding project by Urza so uhhhh at least that long

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

Gerrard the result of a multi generational breeding project by Urza so uhhhh at least that long

I think they meant how could you know that poo poo wasn't going crazy on other planes, since we only saw a few other ones and everything that happened was all because of the phyrexians. Like we don't know if everything was normal in Ravnica or Ixalan or Kaladesh back then. Maybe it was all good until planeswalkers first went there and hosed things up, or maybe crazy poo poo was happening all the time

BioThermo posted:

I think Kaldheim was the biggest shakeup we've had outside of a rotation since the pre-nerf companions debacle. After clover/omnath were gone, the meta had settled to Rogues, Green Food, Gruul Cleave/Henge, and Yorion Doom Foretold. The advent of Kaldheim and the tools it gave to Sultai Ultimatum pretty much pushed doom foretold out, but faceless haven + other cards let food to turn into snow stompy, gruul to mono-red, mono-white to be viable, and we also saw flavors of temur adventures and goldspan/unleash fury decks. The only pre-kaldheim deck that didn't change radically or get pushed out of the meta was rogues.

I guess my point is that from when Kaldheim released until the next rotation, KLD was the weakest set in standard. Strong stuff rotated out, but nothing stronger was released so now KLD is the backbone of standard. I kinda hope that doesn't happen again. What if instead of making eldraine, then panicking and slamming on the breaks for the next 10 sets, they made 5 sets in a row that were roughly the same power level of eldraine? Maybe give people a reason to play Pioneer once a few fun, powerful standard decks rotate. Kind of like how the draw of Extended and early Modern was "keep playing your favorite standard deck but with access to more cards!"

A Moose fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Nov 5, 2021

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
planeswalkers from before being Superman-level (all-powerful, basically immortal) being turned into Spiderman-level (powerful but still basically human and not immortal) sucks

Urza and the like being multiverse godbeings that caused chaos and development across dozens of worlds was great, but now they're just lovely dime-a-dozen Avengers

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
You're wrong about Spider-Man. I'll kick your rear end buddy. You take that back what you said about Spider-Man.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

A Moose posted:

I guess my point is that from when Kaldheim released until the next rotation, KLD was the weakest set in standard. Strong stuff rotated out, but nothing stronger was released so now KLD is the backbone of standard. I kinda hope that doesn't happen again. What if instead of making eldraine, then panicking and slamming on the breaks for the next 10 sets, they made 5 sets in a row that were roughly the same power level of eldraine? Maybe give people a reason to play Pioneer once a few fun, powerful standard decks rotate. Kind of like how the draw of Extended and early Modern was "keep playing your favorite standard deck but with access to more cards!"

Eldraine and Ikoria were loving up eternal formats though. Having every set be so powerful that it basically introduces rotation into eternal formats pisses a lot of people off. They'll still introduce cards directly into Modern with other sets (like Modern Horizons, obviously), but the idea that they should only target the high end of the power spectrum is pretty risky.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

"the power level of new cards is too low! bring it back as it was before!"
- one rotation later -
"the power lever of new cards is too high! bring it back as it was before!"
- one rotation later -
- one rotation later -
- one rotation later -
- one rotation later -
- one rotation later -

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Sinteres posted:

Eldraine and Ikoria were loving up eternal formats though. Having every set be so powerful that it basically introduces rotation into eternal formats pisses a lot of people off. They'll still introduce cards directly into Modern with other sets (like Modern Horizons, obviously), but the idea that they should only target the high end of the power spectrum is pretty risky.

I know they're called "eternal" formats but the alternative is that the meta stays stagnant and never changes which is boring imo

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I know they're called "eternal" formats but the alternative is that the meta stays stagnant and never changes which is boring imo

When it happens slowly it's awesome, the problem players are having now is that it's a deluge of cards every year and that's not counting modern horizons sets that are absolutely causing a rotation like effect in that it shakes up the format totally with too much regularity

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I'm not saying it should never change, just that regulating the pace makes sense, and having every new set be at the highest power level (with the risk of overshooting) makes the rate of turnover too high. Like I said, sets like Modern Horizons are already a relatively new innovation aiming directly at introducing new cards into the format, so dumping loads of new cards from Standard sets in the formats on top of that just makes those expensive formats too risky to invest in for a lot of people. Like personally if people hoarding cards from 20 years ago take a bath on some of it lose some value, I think that's maybe even a good thing, but it sucks for the new player who dips their toe into the format and then finds their deck gets tossed out of the meta because a new Standard set was too strong.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Congratulations on your ability to count

Awesome contribution to the thread!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

A lot of the base for those are formats love exactly that, some will just make up "new" formats that can never change like Old school, 93, or Premodern

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

PleasantDirge posted:

When it happens slowly it's awesome, the problem players are having now is that it's a deluge of cards every year and that's not counting modern horizons sets that are absolutely causing a rotation like effect in that it shakes up the format totally with too much regularity

Sinteres posted:

I'm not saying it should never change, just that regulating the pace makes sense, and having every new set be at the highest power level (with the risk of overshooting) makes the rate of turnover too high. Like I said, sets like Modern Horizons are already a relatively new innovation aiming directly at introducing new cards into the format, so dumping loads of new cards from Standard sets in the formats on top of that just makes those expensive formats too risky to invest in for a lot of people. Like personally if people hoarding cards from 20 years ago take a bath on some of it lose some value, I think that's maybe even a good thing, but it sucks for the new player who dips their toe into the format and then finds their deck gets tossed out of the meta because a new Standard set was too strong.

That's fair, and admittedly I just got back into Magic when AFR came out so I didn't see how much things changed. And the modern deck I just finished building is boros burn which seems to have not changed much in years lol.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Who do I have to suck off at WOTC to get an MTGA sealed event? :mad:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Who do I have to suck off at WOTC to get an MTGA sealed event? :mad:

Sealed is just the worst format, though. :(

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

That's fair, and admittedly I just got back into Magic when AFR came out so I didn't see how much things changed. And the modern deck I just finished building is boros burn which seems to have not changed much in years lol.

Here's UR Delver from the last tournament before Modern Horizons 2: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/4034379#paper
Here's UR Delver from the first tournament with MH2: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/4053083#paper

The creature base shifts almost entirely, and that immediately became the new norm for the format's most popular deck. The only noteworthy change since has been cutting 1-2 Delvers (from the Delver deck...), usually to play Mishra's Bauble to help turn on Channeler. (Or you cut all the Delvers and play white for Swords/Prismatic Ending.)

The Horizons sets have been like meteors dropping on the eternal formats. The last thing players want is the normal sets also having catastrophic affects.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

disaster pastor posted:

Here's UR Delver from the last tournament before Modern Horizons 2: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/4034379#paper
Here's UR Delver from the first tournament with MH2: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/4053083#paper

The creature base shifts almost entirely, and that immediately became the new norm for the format's most popular deck. The only noteworthy change since has been cutting 1-2 Delvers (from the Delver deck...), usually to play Mishra's Bauble to help turn on Channeler. (Or you cut all the Delvers and play white for Swords/Prismatic Ending.)

The Horizons sets have been like meteors dropping on the eternal formats. The last thing players want is the normal sets also having catastrophic affects.

It's wild that the paper price drops $300 and the MTGO ticket price nearly doubles.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

AlternateNu posted:

Sealed is just the worst format, though. :(

Is it? Why? I've only done it once, for I:MH. I'm made to understand that it's the best route for topping off your card collection on MTGA, quick drafts and sealed events? I really enjoyed it regardless though

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Is it? Why? I've only done it once, for I:MH. I'm made to understand that it's the best route for topping off your card collection on MTGA, quick drafts and sealed events? I really enjoyed it regardless though

Absolutely incorrect. If you're good at drafting, drafting is the way to go.

If you're bad at drafting, get in the goon discord and get better.

Sealed is usually way worse than draft is, and is much higher variance than draft.

Quick drafts are also less good than people drafts. Unless you have time constraints which prevent you from completing the draft portion in a single sitting.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Here's the advice I took:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObqXlKrmuL0

He gives a thorough rundown and numbers to back it up.

I'm in a Quick Draft right now I'm at... hmm... four wins I think. What's the difference in rewards for Premium? I probably won't either way because I have time constraints that I affectionately call attention deficits.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Perry Mason Jar posted:

sealed is always better than buying packs because you're guaranteed nine packs for the price of six, but because there's no drafting your results are far more dictated by luck of the draw w/r/t your packs having bombs and enough good cards to make a two-color deck (in the colors of your bombs) than anything else

draft, you can influence how good your deck is by drafting so that your results are a lot more skill-dependent

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I haven't looked at Sealed on Arena in a long time, but last time I did it was bo1 which removes the one good part of Sealed: being able to dramatically change decks during sideboarding, sometimes up to the point where you're playing different colors with a different strategy.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Counterpoint: rotations in eternal formats should be more frequent just to teach people it's dumb to spend $200 on a playset of 1 card when it won't even last a full standard rotation

also, every modern horizons release should completely obsolete everything in the previous set because some people DON'T learn so you might as well let them whale the gently caress out

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I like new cards and new decks so I'm all for WotC printing cards that are immediately playable in eternal formats, but I think the best place to do that is with supplemental sets like MH and the commander products instead of Standard sets. My preference for Standard sets is for them to be around the power level of Eldraine AFTER they banned all the really overpowered poo poo lol.

fadam fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 5, 2021

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
IMO people who want to pick a deck they enjoy and play it for literal years as they gradually refine both their skills and decklist should have at least one format that they can do that in, blowing up eternal formats with overpowered garbage on the reg really sucks.

If you want a format that rotates every year you already have Standard!

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Jabor posted:

IMO people who want to pick a deck they enjoy and play it for literal years as they gradually refine both their skills and decklist should have at least one format that they can do that in, blowing up eternal formats with overpowered garbage on the reg really sucks.

If you want a format that rotates every year you already have Standard!

Sure, but people who want to play with a huge card pool but still have new toys to play with every few months should have a format too. You guys can play Old School or 93/94 or whatever lol.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Nothing wrong with some new toys, the problem is an entire set of overpowered shite blowing up the entire format.

The pace at which Modern evolved before Modern Horizons was legitimately great. After MH1 and MH2 it's like, Standard but all the cards come from more expensive packs. What's the loving point?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Jabor posted:

Nothing wrong with some new toys, the problem is an entire set of overpowered shite blowing up the entire format.

The pace at which Modern evolved before Modern Horizons was legitimately great. After MH1 and MH2 it's like, Standard but all the cards come from more expensive packs. What's the loving point?

A supplemental set every two years is still a lot different from Standard lol. I don't think being asked to buy some new cards every so often is that big of a deal.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fadam posted:

A supplemental set every two years is still a lot different from Standard lol. I don't think being asked to buy some new cards every so often is that big of a deal.

Is it? That's about how long Eldraine dominated standard right?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

Is it? That's about how long Eldraine dominated standard right?

Sure, but technically they could have printed stuff to shake stuff up every 3 months or so within that 2 year period.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fadam posted:

Sure, but technically they could have printed stuff to shake stuff up every 3 months or so within that 2 year period.

And technically they could print another Eldraine-level standard set that requires it's version of Oko, Mystic Sacntuary, Once Upon a Time be banned and leaves behind it's own versions of Bone Crusher Giant and Brazen Borrower

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

And technically they could print another Eldraine-level standard set that requires it's version of Oko, Mystic Sacntuary, Once Upon a Time be banned and leaves behind it's own versions of Bone Crusher Giant and Brazen Borrower

Yes that is something that could happen, I agree.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fadam posted:

Yes that is something that could happen, I agree.

So then it can in Modern without MH sets?

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
I’m sad that my modern deck was basically the same for a while and got slowly better and now it’s been almost fully replaced and completely changed cause of the last two years.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

So then it can in Modern without MH sets?

I don't entirely understand what you're saying. Modern certainly could exist without supplemental sets, but as much as people grouse about them they sell well and people like to play with the cards that are printed for them, so they keep making them.

If you're saying that they could print an MH set and make it so that only 1 or 2 cards in the set actually sees Modern play, I don't think that's a good idea for a lot of reasons lol.

Other than Standard/Commander I suspect Modern is probably the most popular constructed format, and I think the people that want cool new poo poo to play with in their format every so often probably outnumber the people that want the format to change sparingly. I'm not entirely unsympathetic to people who want a stable format and had their deck become obsolete or changed on them, I just personally don't care and like brewing/playing with new cards more than I like stability. When the Pendulum swings back and nothing changes for a while I'll be the one in here complaining.

fadam fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 5, 2021

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Some interesting commons

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I'm generally pro anything that dunks on people spending $1000+ on a deck. I don't care how fun and interesting a format is, there's no way its THAT fun. Might as well milk them for all they can, and use that to fund more commander stuff and interesting standard decks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

evilweasel posted:

sealed is always better than buying packs because you're guaranteed nine packs for the price of six

the sealed entry fee is 2k gems, and going 0-3 in sealed (getting 200 gems, 3 packs, opening 6 draft packs) means you're trading 6 pack openings (one guaranteed rare/mythic wildcard from the rewards track) for the 6 extra uncommons and 30 extra commons from the draft packs. I'd wager most people would value the wildcard over the gems payout you get for fewer than 3 wins.